2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Iowa

Members don't see this ad.

(Hopefully this ok on this thread) Does anyone have any idea about what percentage of OOS applicants Iowa accepts? I'm an Illinois resident but U Iowa would be a lot closer to my family than a lot of other OOS schools I'm applying to, so that adds to my motivation to stay in the Midwest. I'm just not sure if Iowa is looking for higher stat OOS applicants than in-state ones. I've got a 512 MCAT/3.86 GPA. Do you think applying here would be a waste of my $$$ or do I have a chance?

OOS Median stats are 3.86/518. Your MCAT is below the OOS 25th percentile (513) but if you can write convincing secondaries about being closer to home or even practicing in eastern Iowa then that might land you an II.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
(Hopefully this ok on this thread) Does anyone have any idea about what percentage of OOS applicants Iowa accepts? I'm an Illinois resident but U Iowa would be a lot closer to my family than a lot of other OOS schools I'm applying to, so that adds to my motivation to stay in the Midwest. I'm just not sure if Iowa is looking for higher stat OOS applicants than in-state ones. I've got a 512 MCAT/3.86 GPA. Do you think applying here would be a waste of my $$$ or do I have a chance?

Are you ORM or URM? I am URM (so that skews things) but I got an interview at Iowa last cycle with a 3.82 and 503/508 MCATs. I totally bombed the interview (it was my first) so I was ultimately rejected, but I expected it after my horrendous day!

Are you ORM or URM? I am URM (so that skews things) but I got an interview at Iowa last cycle with a 3.82 and 503/508 MCATs. I totally bombed the interview (it was my first) so I was ultimately rejected, but I expected it after my horrendous day!
I'm ORM. But yeah I definitely want to stay in the Midwest and practice in a rural area, so I'll make sure to emphasize that in my secondaries. I think I'll give Iowa a shot.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS Median stats are 3.86/518. Your MCAT is below the OOS 25th percentile (513) but if you can write convincing secondaries about being closer to home or even practicing in eastern Iowa then that might land you an II.

Is this based on new MSAR data? Just curious what the median overal MCAT/gpa is now

I'm ORM. But yeah I definitely want to stay in the Midwest and practice in a rural area, so I'll make sure to emphasize that in my secondaries. I think I'll give Iowa a shot.

Iowa is now more OOS friendly as 40% of the class is OOS. There does seem to be a trend though of expecting higher and higher stats from OOS applicants in particular.

Is this based on new MSAR data? Just curious what the median overal MCAT/gpa is now
This was from the current MSAR. Off the top of my head all accepted applicant stats were 3.86/515

I heard a rumor they Iowa is going to try and increase the number of out of state. Over a year ago it was 1/3 out of state 2/3 in state. Previous cycle it became 40% and 60% and this upcoming cycle I heard it’s going to be 50/50.

I heard a rumor they Iowa is going to try and increase the number of out of state. Over a year ago it was 1/3 out of state 2/3 in state. Previous cycle it became 40% and 60% and this upcoming cycle I heard it’s going to be 50/50.
Thats crazy! I really hope that don't do this... (no offence to OOS'ers). Iowa is in desperate need of physicians in rural areas and the best way to fulfill that need is to prioritize in-state applicants. Ultimately more OOS matriculants = $$$. IMO they're being a little short-sighted, without fully considering the future implications. It seems like they kind of want to be like U Michigan - high stats, low IS acceptance rate, high prestige - which is fine, but the issue is there isn't any other publicly funded MD option in Iowa. Michigan has several other state MD schools who fulfill the local needs of the state. We have DMU, but it's a DO school (may limit specialty opportunities) and doesn't necessarily prioritize IS/OOS. The CRISP program is great but they only take 3-4 students. I love Carver, but the board of regents could do a lot more to address the severe physician shortage in Iowa.

Reactions: 1 users

I haven't heard anything about 50/50 this year, but I wouldn't be surprised. The state legislature tried to move a bill through last year that would require the school to have 75% of the class be IS. It died in the senate, but I could see the school try to squeeze as much OOS tuition dollars in these next few cycles until the state steps in and sets a quota for IS students.

Members don't see this ad :)
We understand you may be applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine. (1500 characters)

Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class. (1500 characters

OOS

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received just now. MD/PhD applicant

Last edited:
We understand you may be applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine. (1500 characters)

Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class. (1500 characters

OOS
Did they also have questions about reapplicants and those not in school currently like they have in previous years?

Did they also have questions about reapplicants and those not in school currently like they have in previous years?
Yep! Sorry for not pasting them in the above, I've included them in this comment.

Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?

Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

I heard from someone that their Carver med student friend was in a meeting with an associate dean where they said that they're trying to keep in state numbers around 70%.

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Is anyone still waiting on a secondary? OOS, verified 6/8

Reactions: 8 users
+1, OOS, verified 6/19. They do screen based on sGPA (3.0 or higher) and MCAT (500 or higher), so for me I'm guessing it's because my MCAT is next week.

do they require you to list all medically related experiences with 175 character descriptions? I believe this was a requirement for last year?
Yes. You get 175 characters (including spaces) for each experience. I ended up separating some experiences that I had clumped on AMCAS (i.e. couldn't fit all my shadowing into one entry on the Iowa secondary), so do what you gotta do

+1, OOS, verified 6/19. They do screen based on sGPA (3.0 or higher) and MCAT (500 or higher), so for me I'm guessing it's because my MCAT is next week.

nothing to add, just want to say every time i see your profile it gives me joy. the springtime of youth ****in love ice cheems

• Love
nothing to add, just want to say every time i see your profile it gives me joy. the springtime of youth ****in love ice cheems
tyty I appreciate the love (and ice cheems, even though I'm lactose intolerant)

I am an OOS MSTP applicant with high stats and I haven't received a secondary still. Should I be concerned?

I am an OOS MSTP applicant with high stats and I haven't received a secondary still. Should I be concerned?
I haven't gotten a secondary yet either. I think we are okay. I looked at last year's thread and it seems like Iowa takes a little longer to send out all secondaries. Some posters didn't receive secondaries until late July/early August. We should hopefully get ours soon!

Once you submit your primary they stratify the apps according to various factors such as stats and ECs. Then they send out secondaries in waves throughout July/August. Just be patient and in the meantime pre-write your responses so you can submit the secondary right away when you get it. It took several weeks to get mine and I submitted right when I got it - was in the first batch of interviews and will be starting orientation here in two weeks!

Reactions: 3 users
How are you all approaching the "describe your healthcare experiences" question?

Obviously don't repeat what's on AMCAS but how else do we do it? just a brief recap?
I did a list with a one-sentence summary of my role and the setting.

Secondary received today. Finally. OOS Verified 6/8

Has anyone completed the course and degree requirements section? There are no text boxes to fill in the coursework for the Physics, Mathematics, and Social/Behavioral Science requirement...

Has anyone completed the course and degree requirements section? There are no text boxes to fill in the coursework for the Physics, Mathematics, and Social/Behavioral Science requirement...
I emailed them earlier and they said it's like that. Only the 4 on there need to be filled

Reactions: 2 users
anyone OOS that still hasn't received a secondary? thought this was gonna be sent way back in the springtime of youth, verified 7/17ish

Reactions: 11 users
This was the first secondary I prewrote bc I loved Iowa so much and still no secondary, verified 5/28...OOS MSTP :cryi:

pls lob me iowa-kun...pls...

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
When filling out coursework, are you guys listing everything or just the ones that fulfill the prereqs

When it says medically related extracurriculars on the secondary does research count? This is probably a dumb question but I just wanna make sure

My secondary application status is still incomplete because my letters of recommendation still appear as ' Pending Verification by CCOM,' despite being imported from AMCAS 7/28/2020. Is this normal or should I reach out?

My secondary application status is still incomplete because my letters of recommendation still appear as ' Pending Verification by CCOM,' despite being imported from AMCAS 7/28/2020. Is this normal or should I reach out?
When did you submit? It took several business days for mine to be downloaded by CCOM. They do it manually for each application.

When did you submit? It took several business days for mine to be downloaded by CCOM. They do it manually for each application.
I submitted 7/30 so I suppose I'll relax for a few more days and let them do their magic. Thanks for the reply!

Any IS applicants not receive a secondary yet? I was verified on 7/29 so I suppose it hasn't been that long, but I was just wondering. That feeling of betrayal from your undergrad is strong haha.