2021-2022 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got secondary; for the first prompt: Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks?

Does this include gap years?
does this include gaps in employment due to covid?

Members don't see this ad.

does this include gaps in employment due to covid?
I only have taken one gap year (which was during the pandemic) to study and retake the MCAT. Between the time I graduated from university to now, I have not been employed.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else having trouble answering why DO and why us in 300 words :/

Members don't see this ad :)
For the prompt about shadowing or working with a DO: If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty physician, and amount of time spent shadowing).

Are you guys just listing the different experiences with DO's like
Name and location,
speciality
amount of time

or are you actually writing about the experiences and what you learned etc. They say to describe it and then given specific questions in the parentheses. I am pretty good with just going with what I think, but I figured for this one I'd ask ya'll. Thanks!

For the prompt about shadowing or working with a DO: If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty physician, and amount of time spent shadowing).

Are you guys just listing the different experiences with DO's like
Name and location,
speciality
amount of time

or are you actually writing about the experiences and what you learned etc. They say to describe it and then given specific questions in the parentheses. I am pretty good with just going with what I think, but I figured for this one I'd ask ya'll. Thanks!
Just listed what the question asked. I didnt add anything extra

Any current students open to taking questions or sharing their experiences?

I was wondering for the COVID essay for Marian, and the COVID essay for ACCOMAS primary app, is it okay to take snippets from the ACCOMAS COVID essay? It is somewhat of the same prompt but I didn't know if this would be bad? Has anyone else struggled with writing about the same thing twice?

I was wondering for the COVID essay for Marian, and the COVID essay for ACCOMAS primary app, is it okay to take snippets from the ACCOMAS COVID essay? It is somewhat of the same prompt but I didn't know if this would be bad? Has anyone else struggled with writing about the same thing twice?
I’m wondering the same …. This secondary is a beast

• Haha
I’m wondering the same …. This secondary is a beast
I know!! Side note- For the question asking about shadowing experiences, did you describe in-depth, or did you only list name, location, hours, and specialty? I described in-depth, but that's just how I perceived the prompt.

Should I say No to the secondary question that asks Did you apply to medical school before cuz I applied to only one different DO throwaway school last cycle ? I didn't withdraw my app from that particular school, but also I didn't add any other schools.

so for the gap in education, shadowing and other questions like that, should we just answer them straight up and not try to provide a narrative/story?

Should I say No to the secondary question that asks Did you apply to medical school before cuz I applied to only one different DO throwaway school last cycle ? I didn't withdraw my app from that particular school, but also I didn't add any other schools.
You applied to a different school last cycle, thus your answer should be yes. It doesn’t matter if it was just 1.

Reactions: 1 users
You applied to a different school last cycle, thus your answer should be yes. It doesn’t matter if it was just 1.
How would they even know though.... I feel this is an unprofessional question for them to even ask because it's none of their business

Members don't see this ad :)
That doesn't make me a reapplicant to all other schools except the one from last year though right?

That doesn't make me a reapplicant to all other schools except the one from last year though right?
If it asked in general if you have applied to medical school before, then yes you are a reapplicant to them. Some schools do not ask or only care if you applied to that specific one before. It varies and for Marian it seems they want to know.

Exactly. I only applied MD last cycle and am a reapp, but I didn't put that in because I ain't letting them judge me and potentially filter me because of bias

You could do that, but if they find out, that would not be a good look. Since it is MD, I do not think any DO programs would go communicate with AMCAS. With AACOMAS, anything is up for grabs as they may be able to find out.

Edit: ok they ask "Have you applied to MU-COM before?" The answer to this is no if you did MD or applied to 1 other school.
The other questions is "Other than MU-COM, have you applied to any medical school in the past?" This would be yes. If you did MD only before, you might have a little leeway. The question is unfair, but they decided to specifically ask and phrase it this way.

Last edited:
You could do that, but if they find out, that would not be a good look. Since it is MD, I do not think any DO programs would go communicate with AMCAS. With AACOMAS, anything is up for grabs as they may be able to find out.

Edit: ok they ask "Have you applied to MU-COM before?" The answer to this is no if you did MD or applied to 1 other school.
The other questions is "Other than MU-COM, have you applied to any medical school in the past?" This would be yes. If you did MD only before, you might have a little leeway. The question is unfair, but they decided to specifically ask and phrase it this way.
So I guess I should answer yes for that question that asks " have you applied to any medical school in the past" since I did apply to 1 throwaway before getting MCAT result. Thanks!

So I guess I should answer yes for that question that asks " have you applied to any medical school in the past" since I did apply to 1 throwaway before getting MCAT result. Thanks!
I saw somebody get an II here last year after saying they didn’t want to practice in Indiana, so I think they have a pretty open mind especially since reapps are common! Good luck!

got marked complete this morning. submitted my secondary 2 days ago

Do you have to fill out all 3 specialties if you have no idea what you want to do?

Hey guys! I had a couple of questions about the secondary:

1. For the "please explain your gaps in education" question, does this include after graduation? I graduated in 2020 and have been employed full-time since then so do I answer this question with my gap year activities or does this not apply to me?

2. For the "3 specialties' questions, my fields of interest are internal medicine, geriatrics, and emergency medicine. However, technically geriatrics and internal medicine are both primary care so do I split it into the 3 specialties (IM, Geriatrics, and Emergency Med) or would it be ok to just list 2 specialties (Primary Care and Emergency Medicine)? I wasn't sure if that prompt absolutely requires listing 3 specialties or if I could list 2.

Thank you!

1. For the "please explain your gaps in education" question, does this include after graduation? I graduated in 2020 and have been employed full-time since then so do I answer this question with my gap year activities or does this not apply to me?

2. For the "3 specialties' questions, my fields of interest are internal medicine, geriatrics, and emergency medicine. However, technically geriatrics and internal medicine are both primary care so do I split it into the 3 specialties (IM, Geriatrics, and Emergency Med) or would it be ok to just list 2 specialties (Primary Care and Emergency Medicine)? I wasn't sure if that prompt absolutely requires listing 3 specialties or if I could list 2.

Thank you!
I'd split it up and talk about the individual aspects of each. What specifically draws you to geriatrics? If you are draw to internal medicine, specifically for geriatrics than just keep it as one. If not, why internal medicine specifically?

Did anyone leave the final question blank? I don't have any additional information to add hahah. That were pretty widespread and I think I got to everything. However, I don't want it to reflect poorly if I do not fill it out

For our connections to Indiana, my girlfriend lives there. Should I just write my girlfriend lives there? Or do I have to give her entire ancestral tree? :rofl:

Thank you!
Hi!
I recently submitted my secondary and I didn’t answer the gap question since it was covered by employment.
Did anyone leave the final question blank? I don't have any additional information to add hahah. That were pretty widespread and I think I got to everything. However, I don't want it to reflect poorly if I do not fill it out
I left it blank lol I didn’t have anything else to add either. so fingers crossed it’s okay… the instructions said it’s not required

Thank you!
1. i definitely think it does apply to you. especially because it mentions employment longer than semester and holiday breaks. i graduated in 2013 😂 so I talked about what i did and what i learned in the years before starting my post-bacc! some of this was medical / research experience, some of it was corporate and non-profit work but i think its beneficial to talk about how those experiences prepared you to be a better physician!

2. i was similar and i split up into 3.

hope that helps!

For the question, "Do you have any connections to a member of the Marian University community?" does that include students? One of my good friends from HS goes there for med school so do you guys think I should put him down? Or do they moreso mean family members or knowing one of the staff members?

For the question, "Do you have any connections to a member of the Marian University community?" does that include students? One of my good friends from HS goes there for med school so do you guys think I should put him down? Or do they moreso mean family members or knowing one of the staff members?
i think you could definitely talk about the perspective your friend gave you about marian and why it impacted your decision to apply / desire to attend!

I have no connections to Indiana but I don't mind practicing there. any ideas on how to answer why practice in Indiana other than its proximity to my state?

What are you guys writing for connections to IN? Are you guys just writing a sentence or two about having family? Or longer essays about your relationships with those peoples?

What are you guys writing for connections to IN? Are you guys just writing a sentence or two about having family? Or longer essays about your relationships with those peoples?
I just wrote two sentences but granted I live in Indiana so it was pretty straightforward for me haha

Does anyone else have the status on LOR's crossed with an X? Asking as I'm trying to use one of the nursing profs as my "science professor" reference, and I'm not sure if they rejected it, or whether it's just unchecked yet.

Does anyone else have the status on LOR's crossed with an X? Asking as I'm trying to use one of the nursing profs as my "science professor" reference, and I'm not sure if they rejected it, or whether it's just unchecked yet.
they're super responsive if you email them. i had an LOR issue too, but I was able to work it out in a couple emails with them! the front office is super great and helpful!

"Greetings from MU-COM!

I am pleased to acknowledge receipt of your supplemental application. Your application is on hold pending receipt of the following items:

• Supplemental Application Fee of $100 (unless paid)
• Letters of Recommendation (unless previously submitted)

The entire process—from your submission of the supplemental application to our review of LORs—can take 4—5 weeks, depending on the volume of letters that we receive. Please resist the urge to call or email us about the status of your letters unless four weeks have passed from the date of our confirmation email.

When the above items have been received, you will be notified, via the AMP portal, that your application file is complete. At that time, a member of our committee will review your application for an invitation to interview."

I may be overthinking it but I would like to hear some opinions. #10 says ,"Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)?" then the follow up question says, "If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty physician, and amount of time spent shadowing)."

Did you all only put shadowing experiences or did you include work experiences since the question before that asks for it. I think I'm only going to list shadowing, but I just want to be sure

hey guys for q7 for any academic or employment gaps, I only have a 6 months gap due to covid which I mentioned in the COVID essay. do you guys think I should talk about this twice or should I mention it only in the COVID essay and leave the other blank?

Anyone elses application says this? I have all my letters in

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.38.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 3.38.57 PM.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 104
Anyone elses application says this? I have all my letters in
Yes, mine does, but in their LOR guidelines, it says:

"Once you submit your supplemental application your file goes into queue to have your letters of
recommendation reviewed to make sure they meet our requirements. Your letters are incomplete
until the letters have been reviewed. The review process typically takes 2 to 3 weeks, but may
take longer at certain times. If your letters are not accepted you will be notified by email. Please
resist the urge to call about the status of your letters unless it has been 4 weeks since you
submitted the supplemental."

I took that to mean that the "X" would be there until they reviewed the letters and approved them, which they said could take several weeks.

they're super responsive if you email them. i had an LOR issue too, but I was able to work it out in a couple emails with them! the front office is super great and helpful!
My application status states LOR not received. I emailed them since other DO schools received them. Did they tell you what the problem was?

Yes, mine does, but in their LOR guidelines, it says:

"Once you submit your supplemental application your file goes into queue to have your letters of
recommendation reviewed to make sure they meet our requirements. Your letters are incomplete
until the letters have been reviewed. The review process typically takes 2 to 3 weeks, but may
take longer at certain times. If your letters are not accepted you will be notified by email. Please
resist the urge to call about the status of your letters unless it has been 4 weeks since you
submitted the supplemental."

I took that to mean that the "X" would be there until they reviewed the letters and approved them, which they said could take several weeks.
Thank you!