2021-2022 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do not believe so. I did not put mine. The lowest tier is regional.
Oops. I recieved three institutional awards and listed them.

Members don't see this ad.

For the question about whether you identify as a first-gen/low income student and it asks you to briefly explain...Is this the sort of prompt where I should be writing a narrative essay or literally just saying. I am a first gen, I am a low income student, I qualified for medicaid, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I will graduate in December, should I answer "yes" to the question that I am planning to take time off before med school matriculation? I know its only one semester in between so I'm not sure if that counts

Is it better to not answer the global activities question than to write about experiences in high school? I went on several service trips in high school. However, I studied public/global health in college and it taught me the harm in "service-trip" type experiences without actual skills to contribute to the communities you are "helping". But, I am still very interested in global health and would like to do more global work in medical school when I have more skills to offer. Could I talk about my high school experiences and these thoughts? Or is it better to leave the question blank?
(Don't get me wrong, I understand there are benefits to early global work as well, and a lot can be very impactful, definitely a larger conversation than this one post)
Would also like to know. I had an international experience with a performing arts group in high school (performed a concert in Germany in collaboration with a German youth orchestra, then a few years later, the German group came to the U.S. and we did another concert). Don't know if I'm allowed to include this, but it would fit in really nicely because I continued being active in music + I wrote about music elsewhere (from other angles). Anyone have any thoughts?

Anyone else seeing a blank “AD” entry on their letter of recommendations page?

Anyone else not get a secondary yet? Perelman doesn't screen so I'm a little worried.

Anyone else seeing a blank “AD” entry on their letter of recommendations page?
I saw 2 blank entries on my LOR page in addition to the normal LORs I listed, but my LOR requirement was marked complete and I received a complete email when I submitted

Hi! Could you please post the MSTP secondary prompts?
**MSTP folks**

Hi so for anyone wondering about Perelman MSTP prompts, there aren't any specific prompts are than general information about your research experience and research interests. Also, you have to select a "Graduate Group" that best matches your interests. Here are those instructions if you want them:

Please use keywords or phrases, separated by commas, to identify your research interests more specifically. Do not use tabs or add lines by hitting the enter key. There is a limit of 500 characters.

List your research experiences chronologically, starting with the most recent. For each experience, please provide clear information about the time commitment. (For instance, if you worked continuously in one lab for a year, putting in full time hours during the summer, and part time hours during the school year, you might state: "full time (about 50 hours a week) from mid May until the end of August, continuing part time (about 10 hours a week) from September to April". Note that if you worked two summers in the same lab, but did *not* work in that lab at all during the school year, these should be listed as two separate research experiences.)

For each experience, indicate whether your mentor will provide a letter of recommendation. Please note that letters are a significant aspect of your application. We encourage you to solicit at least 3 letters which will specifically address your research ability and potential. Included in these should be letters from mentors who have guided you through your most significant research experiences. If you do not solicit a letter from an individual with whom you have had an extensive research experience, please provide an explanation in the comments section.

If you have publications as a result of your research, please provide the full citations here. If you do not have any publications at this time, please indicate that in the box (eg by typing "no publications yet"). Please note there is an 8,000 character limit. **Not sure if they allow you to cite submitted manuscripts or not, so if you have something under review then maybe call them to check if they would want that here**

That's all :) good luck everyone!

**MSTP folks** @carsonh11

Hi so for anyone wondering about Perelman MSTP prompts, there aren't any specific prompts are than general information about your research experience and research interests. Also, you have to select a "Graduate Group" that best matches your interests. Here are those instructions if you want them:

Please use keywords or phrases, separated by commas, to identify your research interests more specifically. Do not use tabs or add lines by hitting the enter key. There is a limit of 500 characters.

List your research experiences chronologically, starting with the most recent. For each experience, please provide clear information about the time commitment. (For instance, if you worked continuously in one lab for a year, putting in full time hours during the summer, and part time hours during the school year, you might state: "full time (about 50 hours a week) from mid May until the end of August, continuing part time (about 10 hours a week) from September to April". Note that if you worked two summers in the same lab, but did *not* work in that lab at all during the school year, these should be listed as two separate research experiences.)

For each experience, indicate whether your mentor will provide a letter of recommendation. Please note that letters are a significant aspect of your application. We encourage you to solicit at least 3 letters which will specifically address your research ability and potential. Included in these should be letters from mentors who have guided you through your most significant research experiences. If you do not solicit a letter from an individual with whom you have had an extensive research experience, please provide an explanation in the comments section.

If you have publications as a result of your research, please provide the full citations here. If you do not have any publications at this time, please indicate that in the box (eg by typing "no publications yet"). Please note there is an 8,000 character limit. **Not sure if they allow you to cite submitted manuscripts or not, so if you have something under review then maybe call them to check if they would want that here**

Members don't see this ad :)
**MSTP folks**

Thank you very much for sharing these @rrahman1 ! If I'm only applying to the MSTP, will I need to fill out the standard MD prompts as well or only these MSTP prompts?

Thank you very much for sharing these @rrahman1 ! If I'm only applying to the MSTP, will I need to fill out the standard MD prompts as well or only these MSTP prompts?
Yes, you will need to do both which includes the MD-only diversity, why Perelman, and COVID essays. As far as MSTP apps go, Perelman is one of the shortest.

hey everyone, went here for undergrad and starting m1 here next week if anyone has any random questions!

Reactions: 1 user
hey everyone, went here for undergrad and starting m1 here next week if anyone has any random questions!
Hey! Thanks for answering questions! Could you give any info on the MD/MBA program by any chance ? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Hey! Thanks for answering questions! Could you give any info on the MD/MBA program by any chance ? Any information would be greatly appreciated
Would love to know some extra info as well
I assume you guys have already checked out the MD MBA website (if not, here: MD/MBA | Combined Degree and Physician Scholar Programs | Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania)

I'm not sure if I'm going to pursue it but it seems like a very flexible/attainable thing to do- although it still is relatively competitive to get into. You have a considerable advantage by being in the med school, but you still probably need a decent GMAT/GRE, as well as relevant experiences to MBA (managerial experience, leadership experience, business/economics experience, etc.). This means it would be your advantage to do the HMET certificate program at Perelman (Healthcare Management, Entrepreneurship, and Technology) as well as joining the Penn HealthX club (which deals with startup medical/healthcare tech and whatnot). You apply for the MBA in the beginning of your third year, so you have the first 2 years to do all of this and figure out if you really want the MBA.

Also, financial aid director told us a bunch of times that Wharton does give scholarships, but most penn med kids don't get financial aid for the MBA (and med school financial aid obviously doesnt apply to it). although i guess its still possible, just not that likely

I also spoke with a current student finishing his MBA part of MD MBA and he said the MBA was a breeze compared to the MD part lol

But yeah i think thats all the info I have. when you are admitted, they give a ton of information sessions with current students/administrators who explain all the details and have Q&As with you

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
@Local-Chef Thanks for the post, and congrats on starting m1. Out of curiosity, out of all the med schools you interviewed with and based on your experience at Penn as an undergraduate, why did you pick Perelman School of Medicine and what aspects about Penn are distinct from the other big research schools would you say the faculty are most proud of?

Reactions: 5 users
wow total crickets here

(sorry to all the people i just gave heart attacks to when they saw this notification)

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
y'all aren't gonna believe this haha..... but II just now

OOS LM 82.7

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
II just now too
OOS LM 76. 6 ( 3.9x , 52x)
Complete July 30th
URM with strong research background
Edit because people wanted more details

Last edited:
II just now! OOS LM 76 Complete 7/16 ORM

Last edited by a moderator:
II! Let's go! Complete 7/16

Last edited:
II just now! OOS, 52X MCAT, 3.9X sGPA and cGPA, URM.

Edit: Complete 7/25

Last edited:
Could you guys pls write the date you were complete when you reply that you got II's? It provides a little more info than just "INTERVIEW OMG" lol

Reactions: 5 users
Could you guys pls write the date you were complete when you post that you got II's? It provides a little more info than just "INTERVIEW OMG" lol
I was just going to say this same thing. Probably going to get backlash for this, but I agree that it's very unhelpful when someone just posts something like what you said with no info. Of course, no one is obligated to give any info. But when you just post something like "OMG II" with nothing else I do start to question their reasons for posting lol...is it just to show off? Like I'm very happy for you, but it doesn't really help anyone and just makes others feel worse.

Reactions: 6 users
II! Got it a few hours ago but couldn't post until now. WARS 90, LM was 76.6, completed secondary 7/21. I see people asking about what stood out about applications, for me I would say that it was my major (humanities) and research (sustained interest in a set of topics, very independent type of research)

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II!!
LM 75.7
WARS 97
URM
complete 9/2

Reactions: 3 users
II just now! OOS, complete 7/5!

II OOS, complete mid August

II! Got it a few hours ago but couldn't post until now. WARS 90, LM was 76.6, completed secondary 7/21. I see people asking about what stood out about applications, for me I would say that it was my major (humanities) and research (sustained interest in a set of topics, very independent type of research)
ORM or URM?

Too late in cycle to submit a secondary here?

Too late in cycle to submit a secondary here?
I think at this point it's generally pretty late (although maybe not too late) to submit a secondary anywhere.

I know conventionally now is on time and end of October is late. However, there's been a lot of people that believe that is changing, and now after labor day is late. At the end of the day, we can't really methodically prove which is which, but I side with the latter.

Adcoms seem somewhat split. Gonnif still believes now would be on time, but Goro indicates that after labor day is late here: When is it considered “late” to submit a secondary?

II just now! Pretty excited. Complete on Sep 01.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited by a moderator: