2021-2022 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received today! I am OOS so it asked me an extra question.

1. Are you a nonresident with ties to the state of Oklahoma? If Yes, please indicate ties below. (Examples: born in OK, attended school in OK, Family, etc.): (If you say yes here it once you save, it will send you to a larger text box where you can expand upon your ties? It populated with the answer I gave on the main page)
2. Are either of your parents an OU College of Medicine Alum?
3. Are you currently enrolled in a graduate program? (If Yes, you must submit a letter from the program director or chair stating you are in good standing and that they support your application.)
4. Are you applying to the Joint MD/PhD program?
If Yes, please visit Graduate College - University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center > Graduate Programs > PhD Programs > MD/PhD Program.

5. Applicants have two educational track options at the College of Medicine. One is located in Oklahoma City and the other is located in in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Tulsa campus is called the School of Community Medicine (SCM). For information on the SCM, please visit http://www.ou.edu/content/tulsa/community_medicine.html. All applicants interested in the SCM must complete the four additional SCM questions.

Please indicate your track preferences below. You may indicate an interest in one or both tracks.
Oklahoma City Educational Track Only
SCM Track Only
Both Tracks

If you choose their SCM or both tracks it will populate with the following essays:

1. Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.
2. Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.
3. Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application. (seems optional, no word counter)
4. Please highlight any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track. (seems optional, no word counter)

If you only indicate their OKC track, it does not populate with other questions! Thought that was interesting
@wysdoc

I submitted my AMCAS 5/31 and was verified maybe a week later? I don't know if that makes a difference here... The last school I had to write a state ties essay for promptly rejected me so I'm not confident about this anymore ahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Second year here. Holler if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my OOS secondary in spam. Check your spam, people!!! god bless and godspeed fellow applicants <3

anyone verify after the initial push? if so, how long did it take for you to receive the secondary? I verified yesterday and got flooded with secondaries, but not OU and theirs is supposed to be automatic. checked spam and everything!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! It's that time of year again, so I wanted to introduce myself.
I'm an MS2 at OU Tulsa. Interested in IM, path, and possibly surgery. Feel free to post here or send me a message if you have any questions. I've also started my MPH with OU, so you can ask me questions about that as well.
Good luck with applications/interviews!

Hey! I am also an MS2 but in OKC! I am going into FM for sure. Also, heavily involved in several groups on campus and I did research over the summer. Please don't hesitate to reach out for any questions/advice no matter how silly!

Reactions: 2 users
I am also an MS2 at the OKC campus. I'm strongly considering specializing in oncology but I'm not 100% sure yet. I also did research over the summer and I'm very interested in volunteering and community outreach. I would be more than happy to answer any questions and wish all of you the best of luck with applications and your medical journey!

Edit- It occurred to me later that I should mention, I'm also somewhat of a non-traditional student (didn't get in on my first try and took one gap year between college and med school) if anyone has questions about that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they start sending out II? Or when they started last year?

Also an M2, so this info may be outdated, but I got my II early October 2019. I think interviews start sometime in October, definitely by early November.

Does anyone know what kind of covid questions they'll ask in interviews? Like will it be just what you did during covid and how it affected you or will they ask questions about equality of care and the anti-vaxxer dilemma?

Does anyone know what kind of covid questions they'll ask in interviews? Like will it be just what you did during covid and how it affected you or will they ask questions about equality of care and the anti-vaxxer dilemma?
Check out the SDN interview page for past questions! :) I found it to be reasonably accurate

Hey! I am also an MS2 but in OKC! I am going into FM for sure. Also, heavily involved in several groups on campus and I did research over the summer. Please don't hesitate to reach out for any questions/advice no matter how silly!
Hi Agentcross, I have a question related to your interest in FM and being on the OKC campus. I am for sure looking at Peds and am a little concerned that the OKC campus would not consider me because of my interest in primary care vs a more academic track. Did you encounter this kind of attitude in your interview with the OKC campus? How do you see your interest in FM being a good fit with the OUHSC vs OU SCM? Thank you!

Hi Agentcross, I have a question related to your interest in FM and being on the OKC campus. I am for sure looking at Peds and am a little concerned that the OKC campus would not consider me because of my interest in primary care vs a more academic track. Did you encounter this kind of attitude in your interview with the OKC campus? How do you see your interest in FM being a good fit with the OUHSC vs OU SCM? Thank you!
Hey there! If I am understanding your question correctly, you are concerned that OU cares more about academia than primary care?

If so, I would absolutely not worry. OU is huge on both! Probably a slight lean towards primary care. But OU and OUHSC are heavily investing in increasing research and other scientific endeavors. OU is a state university and there is a serious need for primary care docs in this state (and in the country). OU also has a phenomenal FM program and support. They do tons of academic research(I actually did the FM summer research program) but it is also not necessary.

I haven't received an interview yet. When should I start getting concerned?

OU (generally) does IIs in the order of greatest to lower number on their "formula". So keep that in mind!

OU (generally) does IIs in the order of greatest to lower number on their "formula". So keep that in mind!
I'm guessing said "formula" prioritizes IS applicants? I'm an OOS applicant with average stats which isn't doing me any favors here. Especially without secondary essays to make my case lol!

I'm guessing said "formula" prioritizes IS applicants? I'm an OOS applicant with average stats which isn't doing me any favors here. Especially without secondary essays to make my case lol!
OOS applicants are weird especially since OU takes so few. I have OOS classmates on the “high” end of the spectrum and some more in line with OUs matriculated states. Wish I could provide you something better than that!

OOS applicants are weird especially since OU takes so few. I have OOS classmates on the “high” end of the spectrum and some more in line with OUs matriculated states. Wish I could provide you something better than that!
No worries! I appreciate your insight. I knew it was kind of a long shot applying to OU with my stats and OOS status, so we shall just see how it all plays out!

No worries! I appreciate your insight. I knew it was kind of a long shot applying to OU with my stats and OOS status, so we shall just see how it all plays out!
Good luck! I applied OOS to OU last cycle. It's tough, but definitely possible to get in as an OOS student!

• Care
Has anyone here interviewed yet or is going to this week? I got my invite on Oct 15 and I'm trying to prepare so an idea of OU specific questions would be really helpful.

Has anyone here interviewed yet or is going to this week? I got my invite on Oct 15 and I'm trying to prepare so an idea of OU specific questions would be really helpful.
Congrats! When were you complete?

check out the OU specific interview feedback on SDN. that should clue you in on what to expect.

OU does a semi-standardized interview. Look at the AAMC core competencies for incoming medical students, that's where they pull their questions. The first half of the interview is all standard situational/behavioral questions like "tell us about a time you failed" or "tell us about a time you experienced a different culture". So if you go through the core competencies, you can get an idea of what questions they might ask.

Interview 11/5, it went to my spam and i didn't see it until 11/8!! only dates were in january ):

Interview 11/5, it went to my spam and i didn't see it until 11/8!! only dates were in january ):
Don’t worry. The last interviews for the year are next week. They’ll resume in January!

You're not alone. I opened my email 11/5 the second I received it with two dates available in November. By 2pm when I had time to upload my photo and complete the prereq sheet, the only dates available were in January. More time to prepare anyways!

Is it realistic to get into this school with limited research experience?

I would think so. Research is just one part of a very large puzzle, and in general, it seems like med schools value service much more highly. Get a as much as you can, but I don't think that having limited research will kill your app. Would be curious to hear others' opinions, though!

I would think so. Research is just one part of a very large puzzle, and in general, it seems like med schools value service much more highly. Get a as much as you can, but I don't think that having limited research will kill your app. Would be curious to hear others' opinions, though!
I imagine some of the top schools in the country may like more research. But for the normal schools a balanced application is probably best. If one doesn't have that much research make it up with more service and more medical experience. Some premed students might go to a smaller school for undergrad and have limited opportunities for research. I think schools want to look at your application and come up with the conclusion that u really want to be a physician and that u care and have empathy for others.

I imagine some of the top schools in the country may like more research. But for the normal schools a balanced application is probably best. If one doesn't have that much research make it up with more service and more medical experience. Some premed students might go to a smaller school for undergrad and have limited opportunities for research. I think schools want to look at your application and come up with the conclusion that u really want to be a physician and that u care and have empathy for others.
Well-said.

Absolutely yes. The Dean of Student Affairs says multiple times a week that research isn’t even necessary in med school.

Are OOS applicants usually reviewed later on in the cycle?

Got my II 11/12, super excited to finally have heard something after months of silence from every school I applied to!

second this ^^
Research experience is great if you have it, but absolutely not necessary for OU.
I had zero research experience when applying, but I had plenty of clinical hours (both shadowing and working).
afaik, the number/type of experiences you have don't hard-factor in to your application for OU, it's how you present them and talk about them at your interview. I believe acceptance is still based on MCAT + GPA + interview.