2020-2021 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There was a huge influx of people joining the groupme yesterday/today. I wonder if these are waitlisted students or if there's actually been some movement?
hard to know, but I doubt it would mean movement - the groupme has been active for a while/was just reposted. And it is a new admissions team, but I suspect that they would stick with the check-in email since not too much has seemed to change from last year to this year.

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone. No one has reported receiving the checkin-in email yet.
the irrational thinking is starting to feel slightly "rational" given that this is a fairly big break with tradition with how they communicate with the waitlist at this time of year. what it means...who knows, but it definitely is starting to feel off compared to other years. still early, I know I know, but just surprised we haven't heard a peep from them yet

Members don't see this ad :)
the irrational thinking is starting to feel slightly "rational" given that this is a fairly big break with tradition with how they communicate with the waitlist at this time of year. what it means...who knows, but it definitely is starting to feel off compared to other years. still early, I know I know, but just surprised we haven't heard a peep from them yet
Perhaps an accepted person from this group would be kind enough to email admissions and ask about when WL people may hear.

Maybe they got so many withdrawals they need more time to decide who to accept :)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
sooo does someone want to *67 call them today and ask when they expect to start contacting waitlisted people?

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
different schools and different yields, but not loving that someone on the Columbia thread said that (after they were mistakenly given an A from the WL) they were told their class is currently full :thumbdown:

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Ok, this application cycle has officially aged me 50 years and this is the icing on the cake

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
here's to hoping they are skipping the check-in email and moving straight to decisions, cause it seems like in past years the first Thursday/Friday in May seems like when decisions usually start to go out o_O

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Isn't practically everyone that interviewed on the waitlist? Trying to gauge the likelihood of getting off of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't practically everyone that interviewed on the waitlist? Trying to gauge the likelihood of getting off of it.
pretty much I think lol...
only a few post-II Rs were reported here

Tbh I don't think it's very likely to get off it. Even though 20-30% of the class comes from the waitlist in past years, that doesn't mean much if the pool of waitlisted applicants is large to begin with.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
A few people reported R's back in March and generally I feel like people who are rejected are probably less likely to post about it. No idea what this means in terms of how big the waitlist actually is, but I don't think practically everyone who was interviewed is waitlisted.

Asked my student interviewer. He has no clue when decisions may be released.

YWOASCDVD.png

who remembers this movie

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
So I caved and called admissions. They said they are a bit backed up this year due to COVID but are anticipating WL movement within the next 1-2 weeks.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
So I caved and called admissions. They said they are a bit backed up this year due to COVID but are anticipating WL movement within the next 1-2 weeks.
Our hero

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Want to just vent -- with a CTE deadline for another program at the beginning of next week, it seems like my Weill dreams will just be dreams..

I love you

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’ve seen this number before, where are people pulling this from?
heard from a couple current med students that ~1/3 of their class came off the WL
but have also seen the 20-30% here and i think in prev year threads too. but of course this year could be wildly diff than last year..

Well, you could say they’re going to take a Weill to do waitlist acceptances.

sorry I had to

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
They’re supposed to have a relatively low yield rate compared to other top schools

They’re supposed to have a relatively low yield rate compared to other top schools
It's cuz Cornell colloquially has that "worst of the best" reputation within the ivy league. Not saying its true but that's the stereotype. With the exception of Dartmouth which unfortunately just has a terrible location for a medical school.

It's cuz Cornell colloquially has that "worst of the best" reputation within the ivy league. Not saying its true but that's the stereotype. With the exception of Dartmouth which unfortunately just has a terrible location for a medical school.
I think it also might have to do with the fact that Cornell doesn’t do merit aid (correct me if I’m wrong) and only need-based.
So a handful of accepted applicants may get offers from other T20’s that have lower COA’s.

Subject "timeline", but content "As positions open up, we will notify you individually. No action needed".

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Since this is different than previous years, did everyone get this email?

Since this is different than previous years, did everyone get this email?
I was wondering the same, whether this means that they have no openings as of now?

• Wow
Yeah I think everyone got this email
I was wondering the same, whether this means that they have no openings as of now?
Maybe the slightly too optimistic side of me, but I feel like if there weren’t spots, they would have had less reason to send an update email. Time will tell, hopefully much sooner than later 😂

Maybe the slightly too optimistic side of me, but I feel like if there weren’t spots, they would have had less reason to send an update email. Time will tell, hopefully much sooner than later 😂
I thought the same! I think they do have spots and they’re trying to get an idea of who is still interested in remaining on WL since it has been a week since CTE and so people’s situations may have changed. They’re probably trying to avoid wasting time!

I thought the same! I think they do have spots and they’re trying to get an idea of who is still interested in remaining on WL since it has been a week since CTE and so people’s situations may have changed. They’re probably trying to avoid wasting time!
Fingers crossed!!

Interestingly, unlike previous years, they did not ask us to confirm continued interest. They just said withdraw if you are no longer interested.

Interestingly, unlike previous years, they did not ask us to confirm continued interest. They just said withdraw if you are no longer interested.
Noticed that as well. I was so ready to immediately respond with “TAKE MEEEE” but after a second, re-read it as a “don’t call us, we’ll call you”

• Haha
They do have a new dean of admissions this year so maybe they’re just doing things a little bit differently 🤞

They do have a new dean of admissions this year so maybe they’re just doing things a little bit differently 🤞
Yes, they certainly have been doing everything differently starting from As and Rs and WLs to now!

Accepted off the WL at 1:26 CST today! So excited to be attending my dream school!!..will most likely be re-reading that email for the rest of today just to remind me that it's real lol

Before anyone asks: interviewed in September, sent 2 update letters (one in Jan and one hrs before being placed on the WL) and one letter of intent a few days after being on the WL

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Accepted off the WL at 1:26 CST today! So excited to be attending my dream school!!..will most likely be re-reading that email for the rest of today just to remind me that it's real lol

Before anyone asks: interviewed in September, sent 2 update letters (one in Jan and one hrs before being placed on the WL) and one letter of intent a few days after being on the WL
Congratulations!!! Did you get the waitlist timeline update this morning?

Congratulations!!! Did you get the waitlist timeline update this morning?
Thanks :) Yes I did, so totally didn't expect to hear anything today

Quick question for y'all: is it normal for WCMC to take a while before showing up on the CYMS tool?

Waitlist is moving but all I feel is

P A I N
A
I
N

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Animated GIF

My dramatic self already losing hope after the first reported A

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Congrats!! Did you happen to get your financial aid package at the same time?

Congrats!! Did you happen to get your financial aid package at the same time?
No...I submited FAFSA a while back but didn't submit CSS until today. They also asked for a bunch of other stuff that I will send in ASAP but haven't yet