2020-2021 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's the 2021 Match List Results Summarized if anyone was curious. I didn't include the transitional year counts.

Anesthesiology6
Dermatology2
EM2
FM1
Surgery3
IM10
MedPeds1
MedPrelim5
MedPrimary4
Neurology3
Ob/Gyn7
Ophthalmology2
Orthopaedics6
ENT3
Pathology1
PedsNeuro2
Pediatrics4
Plastics1
Psych4
DiagnosticRads3
SurgPrelim5
Urology3
Total78
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the correct count. It looks like you didn't include duplicates. For example, in anesthesiology, there were 6 independent placements, but for one of them 2 people matched there, so there were actually 7 people matching into anesthesiology. Also, by your count there were only 10 people matching into IM. There were 7 people at NYP alone, and tons of other duplicates, so there were actually 20 in IM. By my count, there were 102 people listed, minus the 7 transitionals, so 95 matched total.

Just didn't want people to freak out when they saw this and thought only 78 people matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I calculated the number of students that matched in an earlier post and did not include the preliminary matches in my calculations. Without the preliminary and transitional, the total this year would be 85 students. It does seem like a significant drop compared to 2020 where I counted 105 people (excluding preliminary and transitional). Still hoping some students can share more information here such as how many people actually applied this year since we have limited information.

Attachments

• Match List by Specialty Deidentified 2020.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 93
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the correct count. It looks like you didn't include duplicates. For example, in anesthesiology, there were 6 independent placements, but for one of them 2 people matched there, so there were actually 7 people matching into anesthesiology. Also, by your count there were only 10 people matching into IM. There were 7 people at NYP alone, and tons of other duplicates, so there were actually 20 in IM. By my count, there were 102 people listed, minus the 7 transitionals, so 95 matched total.

Just didn't want people to freak out when they saw this and thought only 78 people matched.
Oops! Yeah, I thought the 78 total seemed really sus... How did you get more details into the numbers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some people taking a year of research perhaps to match into competitive stuff? Or fluctuation of MD-PhD class size affecting match. Anyway, here is data for MD and MD-PhD students residency from 2001 to 2019: Residency Matches | Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program
It seems that number of residency spots fluctuates from year to year. I did not hear anything unusual from people who matched

Are all of the FA packages being released today or do they come out on different days?

Reactions: 1 users
Was it everything they hype it to be?
I am speaking for myself when I say... absolutely. And I want to take a moment to strongly encourage low income applicants in the future to apply here!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current Cornell student. I do not recommend coming here. The pandemic has significantly changed our school (eg, clinical curriculum, study spots, recreational activities, and more).
Can you elaborate on your statement? Thanks!

Reactions: 5 users
Current Cornell student. I do not recommend coming here. The pandemic has significantly changed our school (eg, clinical curriculum, study spots, recreational activities, and more).
Do you think more so than any other institution during the pandemic? Genuinely curious... I feel as though most schools have been impacted in this way

Reactions: 2 users
I am speaking for myself when I say... absolutely. And I want to take a moment to strongly encourage low income applicants in the future to apply here!
How did you guys return the FA letter? bc its just like email text so how do we sign it lol

How did you guys return the FA letter? bc its just like email text so how do we sign it lol
I saved the email as a pdf and then used a notes app to sign it, then attached the signed pdf in an email. Haven't gotten a confirmation email yet though.

Sure. They cut down our clerkships by 2 weeks each (aside from med and surg) without consulting the student body so that means less study time for shelves and less clinical experience. Meanwhile, the assignments during the clerkships are the same. Ultimately the condensed time makes it significantly harder to do well. We recently formed a clerkship council to meet halfway about other concerns but they aren’t cooperating for most things.
That does sound frustrating, especially because the faculty isn’t being all too supportive. But I think considering clerkships for this entering class wouldn’t begin until probably 2023, it would be ill-advised to make a judgment on whether or not to attend based on these temporary changes.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to add that currently for med students that do condensed curriculum all clerkship grades are pass/fail (but faculty thinking of reverting it back next year) and that curriculum was condensed so that students can graduate on time (but they could have shortened Area of Concentration research instead).

Not true. We are currently graded.
All in all, it’s the way admin has been handling the situation while refusing student input that we find upsetting.
did they revert it back? I heard from 3rd years it was pass/fail

Sorry, I felt I had to throw my hat into this discussion as someone who went through all of Weill Cornell and am now a PGY-2. Every single year at Cornell the students form a clerkship committee to complain about the grading system. Now, I'm not saying this to be mean, but again, it happens every year. Every year the clerkship committee expresses that getting "honors" is "more difficult." Every single year, when the numbers finally roll in, the proportion of students receiving honors, high pass, and pass is the same. Now, I'm not saying it isn't difficult. Medical school is going to be difficult every single place you go - but don't let "perceived difficulty" of clerkships impact whether or not you choose cornell. Decide based on whether you like NYC, whether you could see yourself living in NYC, and whether or not you would be happy there. Choose based on Cornell's affiliated hospitals and the opportunities they do or do not afford you.

I will say, I look back extremely fondly on my time at Cornell. The student housing is wonderful and you live with all of your friends next to the hospital. The pandemic isn't going to last forever, things will slowly go back to normal. Cornell has some of the single best amenities of any school - housing across the street from the hospital, a great student center in said apartments that includes a ping-pong/foosball table, SQUASH COURTS ON THE ROOF OF THE BUILDING!!! There is literally a basketball court in one of our buildings, in NYC. Can't beat it.

Cornell will obviously be a right fit for some of you, and not for others. Just don't choose based on pandemic-related circumstances and perceived difficulty of clerkships. If it was up to me, medical school should entirely be pass/fail as the goal of schooling is to learn, it shouldn't be performative. But alas, this is essentially the medical world we live in. We can debate its merits all we want, but a lot of schools are going back to grading their students. If anyone has any other questions I'm willing to answer them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Just got my FA yesterday and it's a competitive package but hoping to appeal for a slightly better aid so my family doesn't have to stress as much.

Have others found that their financial aid offer, though generous, isn't what they expected given the "debt-free" initiative? Going to need to take out loans given current offer - advice for going about this? And is it worth appealing the financial aid office?

Is it normal to have 5-10% of the class match Med Prelim? I have no idea how to interpret this so any insight is appreciated haha

the groupme and fb group still both have 100+ people in them, a week out from the PTE deadline. do yall think this means less WL movement than in past years?

the groupme and fb group still both have 100+ people in them, a week out from the PTE deadline. do yall think this means less WL movement than in past years?
Well, the groupme has WL ppl in it as well and I'm assuming the FB has current students. Plus I think tons of people wait until the last week/day to PTE regardless of institution

Just some more info about the groupme- there are currently 126 total members, 29 of which are M1s and 97 are admitted/waitlisted students

From last year's thread, looks like WL people would get an email on May 1st to confirm interest in continuing to be on WL and then on May 5th late night people were accepted off WL through phone calls. This year, May 1st is a Saturday. Do we still expect the same timeline as last year or is everything likely to be 2 days later?

Anybody with :xf:and 🙏?

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I would say quite a few people... there should definitely be some movement
My student interviewer said that 30-40% of the class came from WL last year. Not sure about this year. And they don't rank WL. How do they review each WL applicant when each seat opens up, not sure. Good luck to all of us.

My student interviewer said that 30-40% of the class came from WL last year. Not sure about this year. And they don't rank WL. How do they review each WL applicant when each seat opens up, not sure. Good luck to all of us.
This could totally be wrong, but I remember reading that their yield is around 30% - probably higher. So if they only accepted 100 students so far, that means they would have to pull a lot off the waitlist. Any other thoughts on this?

This could totally be wrong, but I remember reading that their yield is around 30% - probably higher. So if they only accepted 100 students so far, that means they would have to pull a lot off the waitlist. Any other thoughts on this?
Seems like many people are on the WL though, given only 1 or 2 posts confirming post-II Rs

Anyone heard from WCMC today?

For those on the groupme, what's the chatter/status there?

Anyone heard from WCMC today?

For those on the groupme, what's the chatter/status there?

Nope.

Around this time last year they sent out forms that you filled out in order to stay on the waitlist. Haven’t received anything yet, maybe tomorrow?

Nope.

Around this time last year they sent out forms that you filled out in order to stay on the waitlist. Haven’t received anything yet, maybe tomorrow?
Possibly tomorrow. But going by all the different ways this new admissions office has carried out business this year, hoping for even better. :xf: 🙏

anyone want to take one for the team and call or email the admissions office to find out when they expect to start notifying people on the WL?

• Love
After reading through the recent posts, I was wondering if the groupme that was mentioned was only for accepted students? I am currently on the WL but didn't hear about it/how to join if possible. If WL students can join, how would I do that?

After reading through the recent posts, I was wondering if the groupme that was mentioned was only for accepted students? I am currently on the WL but didn't hear about it/how to join if possible. If WL students can join, how would I do that?
The link for the groupme was posted a few pages back on this thread, and it’s for both accepted and waitlisted students!

IEyw69c.jpg

Cornell pls

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
The rational part of me knows that there is likely no reason why the WL here should be any different this year, but the irrational part of me...why no check-in email yet?! going crazy :cryi:

The rational part of me knows that there is likely no reason why the WL here should be any different this year, but the irrational part of me...why no check-in email yet?! going crazy :cryi:
You are not alone. No one has reported receiving the checkin-in email yet.

There was a huge influx of people joining the groupme yesterday/today. I wonder if these are waitlisted students or if there's actually been some movement?

• Sad
There was a huge influx of people joining the groupme yesterday/today. I wonder if these are waitlisted students or if there's actually been some movement?

I think it was directly related to you reposting the groupme link! Facebook group didn’t have any movement.

• Love
Yeah I recognized some of the names from revisit, so I think some waitlist and people who’ve been accepted already but just missed the groupme link the first time. I wouldn’t worry, there doesn’t seem to be WL movement yet!