2021-2022 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Been under consideration for PI since 8/5. Since others are moving into consideration now, does that seem like a hold/R at this point or do phone interviews continue throughout the cycle?
Same but since 7/26

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same :/

this school seemed like a good fit too. Been on consideration since early august

Been under consideration for PI since 8/5. Since others are moving into consideration now, does that seem like a hold/R at this point or do phone interviews continue throughout the cycle?
Phone interviews are given throughout the cycle. Last year, folks were receiving phone IIs in December. It's way too early to be worried about a possible rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just stats for people that are interested/curious. Last year they gave out about 800 Phone interviews which translated to 450 II
**edited for clarification

Last edited:
Just stats for people that are interested/curious. Last year they gave out about 800 interviews which translated to 450II
For clarification, do you mean 800 IIs which translated to 450 acceptances?

Edit: My brain is dumb, please look below!

Last edited:
Got the virtual II just now!!!!! So excited! For reference, my phone interview was on 8/23.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Have they sent any phone interviews lately? Been in consideration since 8/2.

Have they sent any phone interviews lately? Been in consideration since 8/2.
Also under consideration since early August. I was previously told in this thread that phone interviews are offered throughout the cycle, but have only seen virtual II recently.

I also got a virtual II this morning! I could not be more excited!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if not getting a virtual II on "II Wednesday" equates to a soft R or do virtual IIs trickle in throughout the cycle? I did my phone interview around the same time as the others who have gotten their virtual IIs.

I just got a phone interview invite and I’ve been under consideration since July. Don’t lose hope people :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Phone interview invite just now! OOS, ORM, complete 07/13, experiences review completed 09/07.

+1 phone interview, does anyone have any advice?

+1 phone II today. IS, ORM, reapp, complete 7/9, experience review completed 7/26.

+1 phone interview today. OOS. Complete 8/2. Experience review complete 9/7

Dang looks like a missed another round of phone interviews. Congratulations to everyone who got one.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, current M1 here. Not sure how much help I can be because we only just finished our first block, but let me know if you have any questions that I could possibly help answer. Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread so someone else more knowledgeable might have chimed in already, but I'll do my best! Feel free to DM me or just tag me here.

P.S. throwaway account because my posts on my main have info that could possibly identify me

Hey all, current M1 here. Not sure how much help I can be because we only just finished our first block, but let me know if you have any questions that I could possibly help answer. Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread so someone else more knowledgeable might have chimed in already, but I'll do my best! Feel free to DM me or just tag me here.

P.S. throwaway account because my posts on my main have info that could possibly identify me
Is the interview traditional style? If so, is it one-on-one or panel? Open or closed file? I can't find much information about it.

Is the interview traditional style? If so, is it one-on-one or panel? Open or closed file? I can't find much information about it.
They're still virtual this year, right? Last year, it was one-on-one, open file, on Zoom. Incredibly casual. We talked about a few of my activities and why I want to be a doctor but it was really low-stress and conversational. And short. I'd say we discussed stuff in my application for like 10 minutes. The rest of the time we just chatted about Kalamazoo, where I grew up, stuff totally unrelated to the school or why medicine. I don't remember any situational judgment type questions from that interview. It was the easiest, most random interview of the cycle for me.

Everyone in admissions is super friendly, so don't be afraid to reach out to them for any reason.

Also, because I see everyone getting nervous about phone interviews/IIs (and I don't blame you, I was too!). I got mine in January and was accepted outright, no waitlist.

Also, because I see everyone getting nervous about phone interviews/IIs (and I don't blame you, I was too!). I got mine in January and was accepted outright, no waitlist.
Do you know about the time frame from the phone interview to a II decision ?

My phone II and virtual II were a little more than 3 weeks apart.

They're still virtual this year, right? Last year, it was one-on-one, open file, on Zoom. Incredibly casual. We talked about a few of my activities and why I want to be a doctor but it was really low-stress and conversational. And short. I'd say we discussed stuff in my application for like 10 minutes. The rest of the time we just chatted about Kalamazoo, where I grew up, stuff totally unrelated to the school or why medicine. I don't remember any situational judgment type questions from that interview. It was the easiest, most random interview of the cycle for me.

Everyone in admissions is super friendly, so don't be afraid to reach out to them for any reason.
Yes, it is virtual. Wow! Thank you.

Do you know about the time frame from the phone interview to a II decision ?
Just checked my email and it looks like it was about 3 weeks. Since I was later in the cycle though, I don't know if that's typical.
When were you complete tho?
Later than I wanted to be. I think late September? MCAT kept getting pushed back. I know classmates who were complete before me who were also interviewed late in the cycle (February, even March). I obviously don't know how things work in admissions or how applications are sorted, so I can't be much help there

Just had my phone interview today and it was definitely a unique type of interview- it does feel more like Casper but I would say only 2/7 questions made me lose my footing a little bit and were exceptionally different. I guess we will see how it went!

Just had my phone interview today and it was definitely a unique type of interview- it does feel more like Casper but I would say only 2/7 questions made me lose my footing a little bit and were exceptionally different. I guess we will see how it went!
Thats how I felt as well.

Late posting, but:

• Supplemental app completed 8/05
  • Review experiences completed 9/01
  • P.I. offered 9/15
P.I. was weird but helpful. I think it's just important to be cognizant of how long you are talking and review some experiences beforehand that might help answer other general MMI questions. Here's to hoping everyone!

Has anyone gotten any virtual II's or rejections yet? I think they update us every Wednesday.

I believe it is actually every other Wednesday. Last week, two people (on SDN) were offered a virtual interview and a decent handful of phone interviews were offered too. As far was we know, no rejections yet. Last year, pre-phone interview rejections started going out in late October.

Last edited:
Secondary application completed in July and still haven't reached experience review.

Does anyone know what sorts of things the phone interview asks

Anyone else still under experienced review? Lol

I've been fully complete since 7/27 and havent even advanced to experiences review...anyone else? Just wanna know if it's time to reach out maybe

I've been fully complete since 7/27 and havent even advanced to experiences review...anyone else? Just wanna know if it's time to reach out maybe
Not everyone gets their experiences reviewed, and I think it may vary greatly the time people hear back from the.

Not everyone gets their experiences reviewed, and I think it may vary greatly the time people hear back from the.
Ahh ok! You're right. I'm a repplicant and got that email quicker last year but also submitted a lot later than this year

Seems like most people here are getting their virtual IIs about 3 weeks after their phone interviews. If it's been a month does that mean I likely wont be getting an II/ just a soft R?

• Hmm
II just received!

Timeline: Complete 07/13, experiences review completed 09/07, phone interview extended 09/15, phone interview conducted 09/21.

• Love