2021-2022 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have interviewed already, when do you find out the name of your faculty interviewer? Also how soon after the interview did you hear back?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have interviewed already, when do you find out the name of your faculty interviewer? Also how soon after the interview did you hear back?
I didn't know my interviewer until I entered the Zoom session. Haven't heard back yet, so I can't comment on the timeline, but for reference I interviewed 10/22

In state, submitted first day we could and I didn't receive this email.... now I feel like I should be concerned why toy with us like this WI? Why?! Give it to us straight we can handle it!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In state, submitted first day we could and I didn't receive this email.... now I feel like I should be concerned why toy with us like this WI? Why?! Give it to us straight we can handle it!
Same, literally no communication since my application complete email on 8/16 🙃

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished day 1 of the interview experience, and at the end the associate dean reminded us to "have our ID ready" for our faculty interview. I didn't get a chance to follow-up with him at that time, would love some clarification from anyone who's had an interview at this point. I'm assuming this is just some form of ID that will prove we are who we say we are, like a drivers license? There isn't some physical ID from SMPH we were supposed to have at this point, right? I know it sounds silly, but, dotting i's and crossing t's. Didn't see any mention of anything like this in the portal, or through email, and I haven't had to show any ID for any of my other interviews.

Just finished day 1 of the interview experience, and at the end the associate dean reminded us to "have our ID ready" for our faculty interview. I didn't get a chance to follow-up with him at that time, would love some clarification from anyone who's had an interview at this point. I'm assuming this is just some form of ID that will prove we are who we say we are, like a drivers license? There isn't some physical ID from SMPH we were supposed to have at this point, right? I know it sounds silly, but, dotting i's and crossing t's. Didn't see any mention of anything like this in the portal, or through email, and I haven't had to show any ID for any of my other interviews.

Yes, it’s just any valid ID. So you are good!

Just got what I assume is a Pre-II waitlist?

"Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. At this time, we are still in the process of determining which applicants we will invite for our remaining interview slots. A decision on whether we will have space to interview you may not be made until January."

In-state, non-trad. Have others got this, or is this like a "we aren't making any more interview decisions until the new year" type thing?
+1 today. OOS complete in October and not sure what to make of it either

I interviewed over the phone rather than via Zoom (my interviewer was having technical issues), and he asked me to verify my AMCAS ID before the start of the interview. They just want to make sure you are you :)

I interviewed over the phone rather than via Zoom (my interviewer was having technical issues), and he asked me to verify my AMCAS ID before the start of the interview. They just want to make sure you are you :)
Thanks.

During our 3-day interview process we asked a lot of questions, but I still have so many left about housing and parking.. did you get any good information? The "80" bus and the abundance of bike paths seems great, but as a native Wisconsinite I know I won't be biking 6 months out of the year, and I've never actually lived somewhere as an adult with public transport as the main way to get around. Also as a non-trad who definitely does not want roommates, seems like housing options are few and far between - especially if you want to spend less than $1200/month.

Thanks.

During our 3-day interview process we asked a lot of questions, but I still have so many left about housing and parking.. did you get any good information? The "80" bus and the abundance of bike paths seems great, but as a native Wisconsinite I know I won't be biking 6 months out of the year, and I've never actually lived somewhere as an adult with public transport as the main way to get around. Also as a non-trad who definitely does not want roommates, seems like housing options are few and far between - especially if you want to spend less than $1200/month.
Buses are okay but have recently been coming late/early/not at all so not the most reliable. Very bikeable city. I bike year-round without big issues. Maybe not the morning of a huge snowfall, but otherwise roads and stuff are plowed pretty quickly. Parking is extremely expensive at the hospital so I wouldn't even bother with that. Not sure why you say that about housing, but there are definitely plenty of 1 bedrooms/studios for under $1200. Check this link out, there are 7 places extremely close to the hospital/med school in your price range, and many more if you go further out: 24 Apartment Rentals Found Nearby | Apartments.com (the pink square by Shorewood Hills is the hospital).

Buses are okay but have recently been coming late/early/not at all so not the most reliable. Very bikeable city. I bike year-round without big issues. Maybe not the morning of a huge snowfall, but otherwise roads and stuff are plowed pretty quickly. Parking is extremely expensive at the hospital so I wouldn't even bother with that. Not sure why you say that about housing, but there are definitely plenty of 1 bedrooms/studios for under $1200. Check this link out, there are 7 places extremely close to the hospital/med school in your price range, and many more if you go further out: 24 Apartment Rentals Found Nearby | Apartments.com (the pink square by Shorewood Hills is the hospital).
And if push comes to shove, I will have to settle for a place so old I'd have to contend with the possibility of mold, in-window A/C units, coin-laundry, no parking for my vehicle, and the landlords that tend to own such places. I've been quite broke most of my life so I used to have to deal with that all the time.. the point of me looking now to get a lay of the land, is to try and avoid that. And, if you add in the expenses that come from needing your own in-window A/C unit, money for laundry, and the additional $75 to $200/month some of those places are charging for a parking spot each month, etc. it's going to be well over $1,200. I did that quick apartment search too, in fact I looked for hours, it's just not that simple.

Also a few places advertise their rent is below that threshold, but when you actually inquire they are lying and there are no units, whether available or unavailable, that they have that are actually as cheap as their lowest estimates.

And also, I'm trying to learn more about the metro system, but the people I've talked to say the 80/82 lines are the one's best for students.. and while some these places are close to the hospital they aren't on that route, and I have no idea how that may effect the day-to-day. It won't really matter if I'm .7 miles away from the hospital if I have to walk that. On a day like today, where the plows still haven't hit some roads around me up here in Eau Claire, I'd be walking almost half of that in a foot of snow. And again push come to shove I can deal with these things, but as a 29 year old who's had no trouble avoiding these annoyances despite my lack of income throughout most of my life, I don't see why I should go back to settling for how I used to live when I was 18 unless I have to.. and a bunch of SMPH students I have talked to have not had to do that either.

All of this without discussing how this all wraps into our financial aid budget. All things the same, for SMPH the monthly budget is over $2,300 whereas for other schools for me it's closer to $1,700. Is a $600 increase in rent going to eat the lionshare of that difference? I mean they only budget for our rent to be $1,092..These are just a few of the reasons why I think it's important to look critically at what's going to be our largest monthly expense and the place I likely spend the majority of my day studying, and not just do the quickest of apartment.com searches and call it good. Also the fact that the more research I do the more I'm realizing state schools just expect all their students to be okay with bad parking and college grade housing, where for me I gave up that lifestyle a long time ago.. and would be okay with traveling a mile, or even 4.5 miles everyday like I do right now to live in a nice neighborhood with quiet adults who work for a living. I just need to know if that's actually an option.

Attachments

• smph.PNG
    smph.PNG
    93.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
And if push comes to shove, I will have to settle for a place so old I'd have to contend with the possibility of mold, in-window A/C units, coin-laundry, no parking for my vehicle, and the landlords that tend to own such places. I've been quite broke most of my life so I used to have to deal with that all the time.. the point of me looking now to get a lay of the land, is to try and avoid that. And, if you add in the expenses that come from needing your own in-window A/C unit, money for laundry, and the additional $75 to $200/month some of those places are charging for a parking spot each month, etc. it's going to be well over $1,200. I did that quick apartment search too, in fact I looked for hours, it's just not that simple.

Also a few places advertise their rent is below that threshold, but when you actually inquire they are lying and there are no units, whether available or unavailable, that they have that are actually as cheap as their lowest estimates.

And also, I'm trying to learn more about the metro system, but the people I've talked to say the 80/82 lines are the one's best for students.. and while some these places are close to the hospital they aren't on that route, and I have no idea how that may effect the day-to-day. It won't really matter if I'm .7 miles away from the hospital if I have to walk that. On a day like today, where the plows still haven't hit some roads around me up here in Eau Claire, I'd be walking almost half of that in a foot of snow. And again push come to shove I can deal with these things, but as a 29 year old who's had no trouble avoiding these annoyances despite my lack of income throughout most of my life, I don't see why I should go back to settling for how I used to live when I was 18 unless I have to.. and a bunch of SMPH students I have talked to have not had to do that either.

All of this without discussing how this all wraps into our financial aid budget. All things the same, for SMPH the monthly budget is over $2,300 whereas for other schools for me it's closer to $1,700. Is a $600 increase in rent going to eat the lionshare of that difference? I mean they only budget for our rent to be $1,092..These are just a few of the reasons why I think it's important to look critically at what's going to be our largest monthly expense and the place I likely spend the majority of my day studying, and not just do the quickest of apartment.com searches and call it good. Also the fact that the more research I do the more I'm realizing state schools just expect all their students to be okay with bad parking and college grade housing, where for me I gave up that lifestyle a long time ago.. and would be okay with traveling a mile, or even 4.5 miles everyday like I do right now to live in a nice neighborhood with quiet adults who work for a living. I just need to know if that's actually an option.
Yeah, apartment searching definitely isn't a quick task. And of course being more specific with what you want is gonna mean higher rent. However, I really think the options are not too bad in Madison, definitely cheaper than every other school I've interviewed at. My link was just to answer the question that yes, there are places available. Good luck with future searching!

Yeah, apartment searching definitely isn't a quick task. And of course being more specific with what you want is gonna mean higher rent. However, I really think the options are not too bad in Madison, definitely cheaper than every other school I've interviewed at. My link was just to answer the question that yes, there are places available. Good luck with future searching!
Thank you, and thanks for reaching out too. Just wrapping my head around this whole thing. Other schools are giving me guaranteed parking for free, these things just aren't a headache I was really hoping for from my number 1 school. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
10/22 and nothing yet, but I did just get a spam call from a Wisconsin number and nearly passed out 🥰
I feel you! I haven’t even interviewed yet and these 608 number spam calls be giving me mini heart attacks

• Haha
Anyone know when they usually release notifications about admission decisions ? What their typical schedule is like after an interview ? Thank you!

Last edited:
You could also apply for the graduate student housing called "Eagle Heights" which is about a mile from UW hospital (20 min walk or like 10-15 minute bike ride) and also on the 80 bus line (like 10 minute bus ride to school). The prices are like $900 for a one bedroom and $1200 for a large two bedroom. Some students really don't like living in Eagle Heights though, because there are a lot families with kids which can be annoying to some people and some of the units are older. But you also get free parking with your apartment, free laundry in the building (or unit if large 2 bedroom) and, if you have kids, discounted childcare at the daycare run by the university. Also a flexible lease so you if you do WARM or TRIUMPH and end up moving another city, you can break your lease with a 3 month heads up and don't have to worry about finding a subleaser. Just another option to consider!

Reactions: 3 users
You could also apply for the graduate student housing called "Eagle Heights" which is about a mile from UW hospital (20 min walk or like 10-15 minute bike ride) and also on the 80 bus line (like 10 minute bus ride to school). The prices are like $900 for a one bedroom and $1200 for a large two bedroom. Some students really don't like living in Eagle Heights though, because there are a lot families with kids which can be annoying to some people and some of the units are older. But you also get free parking with your apartment, free laundry in the building (or unit if large 2 bedroom) and, if you have kids, discounted childcare at the daycare run by the university. Also a flexible lease so you if you do WARM or TRIUMPH and end up moving another city, you can break your lease with a 3 month heads up and don't have to worry about finding a subleaser. Just another option to consider!
That actually sounds quite nice.

Is it simply because it looks older that students don't tend to go this route, or is there something else I'm not seeing here in the official info?

Should I extend that search to Harvey Street, or University Housing? Harvey Street looks like it's very close to the western campus, and University Housing up in Eagle Heights also looks like it would be a nice neighborhood.. I'm seeing a pretty large international student footprint for Eagle Heights and a relatively longer distance from the party-scene, might that be swaying people away? Sure does seem like a nice place to me.

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!!! OOS, interviewed 10/22. Literally in disbelief right now :love:

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!!! OOS. Got the call an hour ago. Incredibly happy. Interviewed 11/12. This was my top choice so I’m over the moon.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
II today! OOS! Very excited about Wisconsin 😄 I haven’t heard from any schools since September so this was the good news I needed today!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got an interview invite today. Anyone else? Thinking this’ll be interviewing for the waitlist?

Accepted today 😭😭😭🎉🎉🎉 interviewed 10/22

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone else who was told they would hear back before the winter holidays not heard anything yet? My interview week is clearly in this round (late Oct) but I haven’t had so much as a spam call from the Wisconsin area.

• Care
Master_Momo, I'm in the same spot as you, interviewed 10/29 and was pretty certain today was the day -- have been frantically refreshing since I woke up. Feeling like it's gonna be next week instead

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed 10/22 and haven't heard anything. Today will be 8 weeks so I felt like it had to be today and still nothing. Haha I've completely convinced myself they are sending the rejections at 5 pm because they just wanted to make me wait all day.

• Care
Master_Momo, I'm in the same spot as you, interviewed 10/29 and was pretty certain today was the day -- have been frantically refreshing since I woke up. Feeling like it's gonna be next week instead
Yeah that was my week too. I’ve been checking my email constantly and jumping at every phone vibration since yesterday. Like mei I’m mentally preparing for a WL or R email at the end of the day.

• Care
Has anyone else who was told they would hear back before the winter holidays not heard anything yet? My interview week is clearly in this round (late Oct) but I haven’t had so much as a spam call from the Wisconsin area.
Hey! I interviewed 10/6 and heard back yesterday. I was told that I would hear back early November but I didn’t. I did reach out and they told me that the person I interviewed with unfortunately did not submit their review of me on time for me to make the cutoff and that I would have to wait for the next round of decisions. They were super nice to me when I reached out! Don’t loose hope though!

Hey! I interviewed 10/6 and heard back yesterday. I was told that I would hear back early November but I didn’t. I did reach out and they told me that the person I interviewed with unfortunately did not submit their review of me on time for me to make the cutoff and that I would have to wait for the next round of decisions. They were super nice to me when I reached out! Don’t loose hope though!
Thanks for the reassurance! My interview was a bit atypical so I was worried I somehow fell through the cracks. It’s good to know they are receptive to applicants reaching out to see what’s going on.

Apologies if this is like neurotic, but I have a January interview. UW-Madison is my top choice, and I'm just worried about my chances being worse interviewing in the new year. Is there any sense of how quickly they fill their class and how many spots are left?

Apologies if this is like neurotic, but I have a January interview. UW-Madison is my top choice, and I'm just worried about my chances being worse interviewing in the new year. Is there any sense of how quickly they fill their class and how many spots are left?
Hey im not really sure how many seats they do have left but I know on their twitter page for admissions they did say they don’t interview for the waitlist they interview for actual seats so if u interview then you have a chance of having a seat in the class granted it goes well ! Idk if that helps..

• Care
I recommend following their admissions team on Twitter! They specifically said they only interview if actual seats in the class are available (not waitlist) in a recent tweet. They’re quite transparent! Good luck with your interview.

I recommend following their admissions team on Twitter! They specifically said they only interview if actual seats in the class are available (not waitlist) in a recent tweet. They’re quite transparent! Good luck with your interview.
100%, they even said as much just a few days ago.