2022-2023 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same actually... wow. Just finished my essays so lets see what I decide lol.
If it makes you feel any better, I found that thread after I submitted my secondary and paid the fee. Thought I'd share in case others wanted to reconsider burning their $125

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Received Application Complete and Ready for ADCOM Review Email 7/30.
Submitted Secondary 7/26.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received 7/26, submitted 7/27. Both checklist items are marked off on the portal, but I haven't gotten a complete email. Anyone else?
Received 7/25 and submitted it the next day. Got the complete email on July 28th. I guess they don't work on weekends so their email service might not be sending emails. So you might hear back tomorrow probably.

Just realized that the entering class of 2019 had an average of 505 and 3.45. That’s kind of embarrassingly low for an MD. How could it be this bad? I don’t think any other MD program besides maybe HBCU has been that low…

• Dislike
  • Angry
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 6 users
Just realized that the entering class of 2019 had an average of 505 and 3.45. That’s kind of embarrassingly low for an MD. How could it be this bad? I don’t think any other MD program besides maybe HBCU has been that low…
I mean there are top25 MD schools that accepted 503 ORM students. I know a few and they have stories and fit that grabbed the attention of many schools. I am sure this school is the same way in that they are seeing more stellar students beyond just stats.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
I mean there are top25 MD schools that accepted 503 ORM students. I know a few and they have stories and fit that grabbed the attention of many schools. I am sure this school is the same way in that they are seeing more stellar students beyond just stats.
love you for this

Reactions: 3 users
Idt entering class’ stats matter as long as the school matches well and provides good medical education. Plus, Rosalind knows they can accept higher stat kids, but they just choose not to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Totally understandable perspective, however there is a difference imo between a school having a low average, and another school admitting a few low stat applicants. Kind of difficult to reconcile

• Inappropriate
love you for this
Haha, it's true, I am sure we don't want to have doctors telling me the Kreb cycle while taking my history or explaining my diet using oxidative phosphorylation, lol. But jokes aside, averages for MD schools are high but they are trying to keep accreditation status and funding (mainly for research and facility). That's why those high averages are mainly found at those top research schools. But most schools wont be so open about showing their lowest applicant below even 10th lol

RFU is known for accepting nontrad students. Especially those that have reinvented themselves. GPA and MCAT for this school are not a guarantee of II/acceptance.

Where did you see this? The 2021 entering class has a 511 MCAT average and a 3.69 cumulative GPA. I doubt it went up 6 points within 2 years

Where did you see this? The 2021 entering class has a 511 MCAT average and a 3.69 cumulative GPA. I doubt it went up 6 points within 2 years
A friend of mine who is actually from the entering class of 2019 gave me those stats. They were directly sourced from the class profile that was listed on their website during that year. It’s crazy to me too that there is such a huge discrepancy between the two years lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Should have left out the last sentence, not necessary to bring race into this conversation.

• Dislike
Reactions: 11 users
Should have left out the last sentence, not necessary to bring race into this conversation.
I don't think they were mentioning that school as a race thing. I think it was just a statement to address schools that are exceptional in the low MCAT averages. But I partly agree that it is not necessary to address those schools in particular given there are many more that have lower MCAT scores. I think HBCUs are more focused on the student body than they are on stats.

Reactions: 2 users
Ughh, if its “embarrassingly low” for you then please do not apply and save the room for the rest of us who actually appreciate RFU for its mission. Like what is stats going to do for me, as long as its a solid program and opportunity to study medicine. Also not sure what you are trying to imply about HBCUs but I rest my case.

Reactions: 24 users
Just coming here to say this as an incoming M1 at CMS: RFU was my only II and turned into an A. I had applied to 25 other schools well within my range. CA, not URM, 3.7x GPA, 513 MCAT, significant volunteer, clinical and research. If I had not applied here, I would be reapplying and spending a lot more than $125 to reapply.

Reactions: 15 users
Is anyone trying to attend the 11 AM info session and doesn't have a link to the zoom meeting in their inbox?

I just received an email stating that I have not yet submitted all the supplemental application materials required for the Allopathic Medicine, but when I log into my application portal everything is marked as received? I finished the secondary on 07/27, anyone have the same problem?

I just received an email stating that I have not yet submitted all the supplemental application materials required for the Allopathic Medicine, but when I log into my application portal everything is marked as received? I finished the secondary on 07/27, anyone have the same problem?
In the email they send after you submit the secondary, they state that it could take them up to 3-4 weeks to audit the materials and mark everything as received. I am guessing that is likely why you received the email, but you could always send them an email to clarify just for peace of mind!

Does anyone else have issues with the school's website/portal? My computer keeps saying the website is not safe to log into

The FAQ says they want to see one of the letters of rec from a medical professional we worked with. Does anyone know if that's a hard requirement or just a suggestion?

So let's address your immediate concern: This year's average GPA/MCAT is around 3.6/511, but the median GPA/MCAT is 3.78/514. It's not as "bad" as you think. I would argue that our stats are above the median of many MD schools.

Averages are susceptible to the existence of outliers. Let's address our "embarrassingly low" average. Chicago Med has historically been a school of opportunity. Some of the first medical classes we offered took place during the nighttime because they were meant for individuals who had a dream but were otherwise held back because they had to work long days to support their families.

What does this mean today? CMS likes students who reinvent themselves (esp. non-traditionals). Individuals who couldn't dedicate as much time to school because they had to care for a newborn child. Individuals who come from exceptionally socioeconomically disadvantaged families. Individuals who were down on their luck. Individuals who realized they wanted to do more to help our communities (albeit later than their peers). We also tend to give individuals who were rejected/waitlisted/ghosted from all other schools an opportunity to become a doctor. Many students here received their one and only acceptance from RFU because we are a school of opportunity. It fits our mission of interprofessionalism and our outlook.

Just because we have lower average stats than other schools doesn't mean we're bad students. It doesn't mean we have a poorly structured curriculum. It doesn't mean we have a lack of funding. We have strong academics, state-of-the-art research, and bounties of opportunities for our cohort. We have camaraderie to hold us together and unique experiences to drive us further. Our match list tends to be very strong despite our "low" averages.

It's less about the scores and more about the type of physician that you'll become. Patients don't care about how much you know until they know how much you care.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 35 users
So let's address your immediate concern: This year's average GPA/MCAT is around 3.6/511, but the median GPA/MCAT is 3.78/514. It's not as "bad" as you think. I would argue that our stats are above the median of many MD schools.

Averages are susceptible to the existence of outliers. Let's address our "embarrassingly low" average. Chicago Med has historically been a school of opportunity. Some of the first medical classes we offered took place during the nighttime because they were meant for individuals who had a dream but were otherwise held back because they had to work long days to support their families.

What does this mean today? CMS likes students who reinvent themselves (esp. non-traditionals). Individuals who couldn't dedicate as much time to school because they had to care for a newborn child. Individuals who come from exceptionally socioeconomically disadvantaged families. Individuals who were down on their luck. Individuals who realized they wanted to do more to help our communities (albeit later than their peers). We also tend to give individuals who were rejected/waitlisted/ghosted from all other schools an opportunity to become a doctor. Many students here received their one and only acceptance from RFU because we are a school of opportunity. It fits our mission of interprofessionalism and our outlook.

Just because we have a lower average stats than other schools doesn't mean we're bad students. It doesn't mean we have a poorly structured curriculum. It doesn't mean we have a lack of funding. We have strong academics, state-of-the-art research, and bounties of opportunities for our cohort. We have camaraderie to hold us together and unique experiences to drive us further. Our match list tends to be very strong despite our "low" averages.

It's less about the scores and more about the type of physician that you'll become. Patients don't care about how much you know until they know how much you care.
u slayed him

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Took 2 weeks to be complete :oops:! I didn’t even realize that I was not complete until they sent me an email

Just because we have lower average stats than other schools doesn't mean we're bad students. It doesn't mean we have a poorly structured curriculum. It doesn't mean we have a lack of funding. We have strong academics, state-of-the-art research, and bounties of opportunities for our cohort. We have camaraderie to hold us together and unique experiences to drive us further. Our match list tends to be very strong despite our "low" averages.

As a non-traditional reapplicant this is beyond encouraging to read. Thank you for this :)

So I signed up for an information session for tomorrow before getting an interview invite at another school that is scheduled for tomorrow. Is there a way I can cancel the information session? I really like RFU and I don't want an absence at an information section I signed up for to affect my chances.

So I signed up for an information session for tomorrow before getting an interview invite at another school that is scheduled for tomorrow. Is there a way I can cancel the information session? I really like RFU and I don't want an absence at an information section I signed up for to affect my chances.
I'm 99% sure that the absence won't affect your chances. It's like an open house. Go if you want to learn more about the program and interact with prospective students or current faculty.

IS II! Complete 6/28.

• Love
II just now complete 7/29! LizzyM 74 ORM IS applicant. All interviews are virtual!

• Love
OOS II Received 9/2, completed 7/31, LizzyM 70

• Love
Congrats everyone!!! Seems like they sent IIs to june/july apps? Has anyone with mid Aug complete date receive II?

Last edited:
Got an email for an option Meet and Greet over Zoom, any previous applicants know if this is also business formal attire?

I had hoped that a little more information about the MMI format would be included in the Interview Day Agenda email. Can anyone shed light on number of stations, timing, pre-station prep time, etc?

Got an email for an option Meet and Greet over Zoom, any previous applicants know if this is also business formal attire?
It's casual. Feel free to wear whatever. You don't even need to have your webcam on, but putting faces behind the names is nice.

Last edited:
I had hoped that a little more information about the MMI format would be included in the Interview Day Agenda email. Can anyone shed light on number of stations, timing, pre-station prep time, etc?
I don't recall 100% but interview day was around 6-7 hours long. It's a group event but the MMI themselves are one-on-one (Zoom breakout rooms). Half of the interviewees do the MMI before lunch, half after. Most of it is typical interview day stuff like Dean's Welcome, Curriculum Overview, Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Q&A, etc.

The MMI questions are less stressful than most of the ones that you'll find online but we can't discuss the specifics of the questions (I think signing up for the interview day was an NDA in and of itself and the admissions office does read through our SDN threads). As far as I remember, there are 8 MMI stations. You get 2 minutes to read/think and 6 minutes to respond.

I don't recall 100% but interview day was around 6-7 hours long. It's a group event but the MMI themselves are one-on-one (Zoom breakout rooms). Half of the interviewees do the MMI before lunch, half after. Most of it is typical interview day stuff like Dean's Welcome, Curriculum Overview, Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Q&A, etc.

The MMI questions are less stressful than most of the ones that you'll find online but we can't discuss the specifics of the questions (I think signing up for the interview day was an NDA in and of itself and the admissions office does read through our SDN threads). As far as I remember, there are 8 MMI stations. You get 2 minutes to read/think and 6 minutes to respond.

This makes me at ease! My first MMI so far was all super serious. Thanks for the info!!!

Thank you so much! If it has changed for this year, I'll take it in stride and report back with the new format (if permitted by NDA). I'm very excited about RFU - hope you're liking it there so far!

For anyone interviewing this morning, is the room not open on Zoom until 10:00 am CT? The agenda email listed that the check in in the main room was at 8:45 am

For anyone interviewing this morning, is the room not open on Zoom until 10:00 am CT? The agenda email listed that the check in in the main room was at 8:45 am
Same issue here, contemplated emailing but idk

Just looked in my email! They sent an updated link. Went to my spam.

I got an email from them. Got excited and saw that it was just an open house invitation. SMH

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
"You're Invited to Rosalind Franklin University's Fall Open House. The health professions offer so many opportunities to have a positive impact on the world. Pursuing a career in healthcare today can mean becoming a physician or a pharmacist, but it can also involve going into research, podiatric medicine or nursing, to name just a few options."

just got this e-mail, pain

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
"You're Invited to Rosalind Franklin University's Fall Open House. The health professions offer so many opportunities to have a positive impact on the world. Pursuing a career in healthcare today can mean becoming a physician or a pharmacist, but it can also involve going into research, podiatric medicine or nursing, to name just a few options."

just got this e-mail, pain

Came on this forum to see if anyone else had that mini burst of excitement-turned-disappointment

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Literally experienced 6 different emotions in a matter of 10 seconds due to that email

Reactions: 10 users