-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Indiana
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Leeroy_Jenkins
Full Member
OOS downloaded 8/1 --> pre-II R 9/9
cranjismcbasketball
Full Member
Pre-II R, downloaded 08/08 and OOS. Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
girlinblue
Full Member
Pre II-R, OOS, LM79. I'm extremely shocked bc I'm a strong applicant both with stats and work/experiences and I have very very strong ties to the state, grew up in IN and my entire family still lives there. Guess that's what I get for moving, good luck everyone!!
SadBellybutton
Full Member
Pre-II R, OOS, LM 76
Downloaded 8/10
*sad trombone noises*
Downloaded 8/10
*sad trombone noises*
How long did it take you guys to get downloaded? I sent my primary to them 8/5 and still nothing
Pre-II R yesterday OOS LM 74 no direct ties, app downloaded 7/19
D
deleted1036421
I’m very sorry for my ignorance - but where does one get this app?? Do we receive an email to download it?
D
deleted1067005
Yep, on MSAR, IUSM states that OOS applicants are only considered on a case-by-case basis, so OOS people definitely have an uphill battleYeah, also need to keep in mind that IUSM is a very very instate school (according to stats on MSAR). But I do agree with you, this cycle in general looks like it is a very competitive.
ConsumerOfCoins
Full Member
R on Friday, Stats in Bio. I have very strong ties to the school (family is faculty member, so I'm surprised)
I was offered the UMP interview as well. No review of my letters or prerequisites yet! Been uploaded for a few days only though. I'll update you if anything changes!Have any UMP applicants got a date yet? I uploaded everything about 2 weeks ago but my letters and prerequisite have not been checked off yet and I am getting kinda anxious the whole portal thing may not lead to an interview 🙁
R on Friday, Stats in Bio. I have very strong ties to the school (family is faculty member, so I'm surprised)
But with Indiana, how do they know you have strong ties? With no secondary and the ability to write about why Indiana, it seems Indiana has no way of knowing which OOS applicants have genuine interest in attending/living in the state. But this is how they've done it for years, so I guess it works for them 🙂Pre II-R, OOS, LM79. I'm extremely shocked bc I'm a strong applicant both with stats and work/experiences and I have very very strong ties to the state, grew up in IN and my entire family still lives there. Guess that's what I get for moving, good luck everyone!!
Edited: Changed "know" to "no". Hope I didn't do something similar in my app!
Last edited:
I just got an email saying my app is identified as a potential applicant for the UMP. But no decision on II or R. Any med students here at Indiana that know what the UMP is like that have thoughts and experiences with it?
Not sure, but I would recommend sending a statement of interest to any of their programs (urban/rural medicine etc.) you might want to do.I had the same thought ngl. Unless you mentioned it somewhere in your primaries, how would they know if you have connections to the state?
I sent one and used that to explain my ties to the state, and got an II. (Don't think I'm high up on their list because it still isn't scheduled yet, but definitely better than nothing. Haha.)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ConsumerOfCoins
Full Member
I thought back to this, and it was perfectly evident that I had strong ties to Indiana. They downloaded my app and saw that I had done most of my shadowing in an Indiana hospital system, an MD letter from an Indiana physician, and shadowed one of the deans of a regional campus. I guess they just didn't like my vibes :/But with Indiana, how do they know you have strong ties? With no secondary and the ability to write about why Indiana, it seems Indiana has no way of knowing which OOS applicants have genuine interest in attending/living in the state. But this is how they've done it for years, so I guess it works for them 🙂
Edited: Changed "know" to "no". Hope I didn't do something similar in my app!
I just received the email about UMP. Do you have any advice on what to include in the brief statement or how long it should be?II for UMP 08/29. AMCAS verified 07/01. App downloaded 08/19. OOS, no ties, ORM, LM 75
tornado6565
Full Member
First of all, congrats! I emailed them back the same day I received the UMP email. I wrote one sentence that sums up my intention to work with the urban-underserved communities, expressed my interest in the UMP, and would like to receive a supplemental application if considered. Then I literally list what activities/experiences that involve my work in an urban setting. That's it! Just keep it brief!I just received the email about UMP. Do you have any advice on what to include in the brief statement or how long it should be?
I'm not sure if this is clear but if you have more questions, you could DM me! Hope this helps!
D
deleted1067005
Interviewed 9/7, received under consideration notification 9/14
+1, 9/7 interview, 9/13 under considerationInterviewed 9/7, received under consideration notification 9/14
So under consideration until they are allowed to release decisions on 10/15?+1, 9/7 interview, 9/13 under consideration
gabagolddigger
Full Member
I’m guessing this just means the applicant has done everything on their end to be considered for an A. The committee will review all the supporting materials to make a decision. They likely won’t sent out any decisions on the 15th given it’s a Saturday. Probably would expect first RD responses the following Monday onwardSo under consideration until they are allowed to release decisions on 10/15?
I did a bit lol, but I think 250-500 words max is good because you then will fill out 3 more essays after that as well. In the response to the email just reemphasized my interest using my experiences/activities to back it up. Also, how I saw my future career could be enhanced by UMP.I just received the email about UMP. Do you have any advice on what to include in the brief statement or how long it should be?
girlinblue
Full Member
There is a question in the primary about where you grew up for the majority of your childhood, so they can see I grew up there. They can also see both of my parents received degrees from IU in the primary. Also, my dad works at the university and my last name is uncommon so with a quick google they can find that out too.But with Indiana, how do they know you have strong ties? With no secondary and the ability to write about why Indiana, it seems Indiana has no way of knowing which OOS applicants have genuine interest in attending/living in the state. But this is how they've done it for years, so I guess it works for them 🙂
Edited: Changed "know" to "no". Hope I didn't do something similar in my app!
Edited to note that in my case, I could ***definitely*** have applied in-state if I wasn't trying so hard to be in-state somewhere else (the state I moved to). Up until about July of 2021, I was an Indiana resident and could have kept my IN drivers' license, car registration etc., but I switched all of that to the state I moved to for my gap years (bc tbh I wanted to get out of IN). So I'm sure they probably saw through that real quick. If that's not your situation, please don't lose hope, y'all!
Last edited:
D
deleted1036421
II! WARS 92, LM 81, OOS, ORM, night showerer, side sleeper! Submitted app 7/20, App downloaded 9/12, II at 9/15
I knew I should have practiced sleeping on my side...II! WARS 92, LM 81, OOS, ORM, night showerer, side sleeper! Submitted app 7/20, App downloaded 9/12, II at 9/15
So I have the typical 2 science letters and 1 non-science letter. I see that this school wants one science, one nonscience, and one personal letter. Anyone know how lenient they are about the personal letter?
So I have the typical 2 science letters and 1 non-science letter. I see that this school wants one science, one nonscience, and one personal letter. Anyone know how lenient they are about the personal letter?
The personal letter has to be a letter from someone that hasn’t taught you/given you a grade. I tried to use a letter from a supervisor who also gave me a pass/fail grade in a class and they told me it didn’t count. Luckily I had a letter from a research PI was able to use to fulfill that.
Dang so I guess I gotta scramble for letter quick thenThe personal letter has to be a letter from someone that hasn’t taught you/given you a grade. I tried to use a letter from a supervisor who also gave me a pass/fail grade in a class and they told me it didn’t count. Luckily I had a letter from a research PI was able to use to fulfill that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do they consider as a non-science letter? Does a doctor that you shadowed in the past or a long-time MD/PhD faculty member/mentor count as a non-science letter? The personal letter I plan to use my PI for that.The personal letter has to be a letter from someone that hasn’t taught you/given you a grade. I tried to use a letter from a supervisor who also gave me a pass/fail grade in a class and they told me it didn’t count. Luckily I had a letter from a research PI was able to use to fulfill that.
What do they consider as a non-science letter? Does a doctor that you shadowed in the past or a long-time MD/PhD faculty member/mentor count as a non-science letter? The personal letter I plan to use my PI for that.
They put LOR requirements in the informational document they send when you get an II. According to the document they sent, they need a science faculty lor (ex. Physics, chemistry,bio), a non science faculty lor( ex. Psychology, history), and a personal lor. The faculty/academic letters have be someone who assigned you a letter grade. It doesn’t say in the document that the personal letter had to be someone who hasn’t given you a grade, which is why I didn’t know that initially. That’s all the direction they really give, but they responded to emails pretty quickly in my experience so you could probably ask them if it’ll be okay. I’ll add that they scheduled my interview before reviewing my LORs, so that didn’t interfere with my interview date.
Anyone who received an II in mid-august also still waiting on interview date assignment?
Oh okay, that's what I was also wondering about. I wasn't sure if I had to submit my LORs to them as soon as I got the email that Indiana received my app before I can be eligible for an II.They put LOR requirements in the informational document they send when you get an II. According to the document they sent, they need a science faculty lor (ex. Physics, chemistry,bio), a non science faculty lor( ex. Psychology, history), and a personal lor. The faculty/academic letters have be someone who assigned you a letter grade. It doesn’t say in the document that the personal letter had to be someone who hasn’t given you a grade, which is why I didn’t know that initially. That’s all the direction they really give, but they responded to emails pretty quickly in my experience so you could probably ask them if it’ll be okay. I’ll add that they scheduled my interview before reviewing my LORs, so that didn’t interfere with my interview date.
Also, I don't have a non-science course professor o can go to for an LOR. I only have science professors, doctors I shadowed, and my past research PIs to go to for my LORs. It won't be a deal breaker if I don't have a letter from a non-science professor I had classes with, will it?
Oh okay, that's what I was also wondering about. I wasn't sure if I had to submit my LORs to them as soon as I got the email that Indiana received my app before I can be eligible for an II.
Also, I don't have a non-science course professor o can go to for an LOR. I only have science professors, doctors I shadowed, and my past research PIs to go to for my LORs. It won't be a deal breaker if I don't have a letter from a non-science professor I had classes with, will it?
I don’t know how flexible they are on that, you might have to check with the admission office.
8/22, still waiting. I’ve got everything uploaded (except Casper, though that says it’s not required for a date) and only that and my LOR show a red x, FWIWAnyone who received an II in mid-august also still waiting on interview date assignment?
+1. Invited on 08/18. Been a month lol hope they can be more communicativeAnyone who received an II in mid-august also still waiting on interview date assignment?
stressed&caffeinated
Full Member
Any other ED applicants extremely stressed and constantly refreshing their portals?😭😭😭
Hoping we only have a week and a half ish left of waiting...
Hoping we only have a week and a half ish left of waiting...
D
deleted1067005
IS RD applicant sending good vibes y'alls ways!!! Praying that IUSM will bless your inboxes with an A!!Any other ED applicants extremely stressed and constantly refreshing their portals?😭😭😭
Hoping we only have a week and a half ish left of waiting...
ThornberryFields
New Member
Yes, every day...really hoping they get back to us soon. Not sure how much more I can takeAny other ED applicants extremely stressed and constantly refreshing their portals?😭😭😭
Hoping we only have a week and a half ish left of waiting...
stressed&caffeinated
Full Member
Did any ED people by chance ask on interview day if they were changing ED decision dates this year? The information powerpoint states:
"Applicants are notified of the Committee’s decision beginning October 1 (for EDP)"
which almost sounds like October 1st would be the earliest we would find out this cycle.
"Applicants are notified of the Committee’s decision beginning October 1 (for EDP)"
which almost sounds like October 1st would be the earliest we would find out this cycle.
yellowsun321
Full Member
For those who interviewed, what was the duration of the entire Interview Day program?
MCATSCRUBS
Full Member
You are only required to attend the interview. The other stuff they have planned is optional.For those who interviewed, what was the duration of the entire Interview Day program?
yellowsun321
Full Member
Awesome, thank you so much!You are only required to attend the interview. The other stuff they have planned is optional.
Is it normal for me not to be downloaded yet if I submitted primary 8/5?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tornado6565
Full Member
They specifically said don’t put them in so you’re goodDid anyone who got a UMP interview leave the achievements section blank in the CAS application? I’m so tired of writing things
Wait where does it say that?They specifically said don’t put them in so you’re good
Is it normal for me not to be downloaded yet if I submitted primary 8/5?
I’m wondering the same [emoji51] I’ve heard nothing at all from the school
SnailPo
Full Member
In the Supplemental Information document, #4 states to not upload any additional materials like achievements or transcripts onto the Graduate Program app unless you answer ”yes” to the criminal activity disclosure.Wait where does it say that?