-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Pittsburgh
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You find out during the interviewYo where do we see who our interviewers are? I just see the option to click on the zoom links
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here...not one question was asked about my research lol
Did anybody send a thank you to the group session facilitator, or just to your interviewers?
I sent one to my group session facilitator!
I sent one to him, my student interviewer, and my faculty interviewer. My group facilitator thank you is also the only one that ended up being listed on my portal, but I think that’s just because his email must redirect to the admissions committee or something.
Who knows!
D
deleted1135362
I only sent it to my interviewers considering that is who I most interacted with. Up to you though.Did anybody send a thank you to the group session facilitator, or just to your interviewers?
Badabingmd
Full Member
I apologize in advance for potentially being repetitive, but who has interviewed already and how was the experience (specific emphasis on the Group Exercise 😳)?
It was chill experience. Just make sure to participate and be respectful to your group. Its basically a mock PBL that’s not medical based and more like a MMI or Casper scenario. The leader will ask follow up questions- then you all go around raising your hands and add info.
Personally I was nervous and talked too much but se la vie. One interviewee in my group did a great job and would often summarize all of the other interviewees points/ acknowledged them by name. Brought up personal experiences too without overshadowing anyone else.
Can’t really prepare for it.
WeOutHereWaiting
Full Member
It is an incredibly competitive program to get into. I’m not sure if there are ways out of it but if you’re not committed to it, I would advise against applying. Keep in mind they also have the CSTP program but you apply to that if/when you matriculate and are an MS2.Question about PTSP? Is it a binding program, or can people choose not to go through the research year?
beachcowboy
Full Member
Pre-II R just now, complete 10/10
Pre II R LM77 complete early oct.
ih8themcat!
Full Member
Hi! I accidentally missed two additional sessions I signed up for when I scheduled my interview (the student chat and PTSP) due to having to stay late in lab. I'm worried they'll count my absences against me. Is it worth emailing admissions and apologizing?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think they're thinking that hard about it and/or care that deeply. Don't out yourself.Hi! I accidentally missed two sessions (the student chat and PTSP) due to having to stay late in lab. I'm worried they'll count my absences against me. Is it worth emailing admissions and apologizing?
ih8themcat!
Full Member
Good point, good point. That made me feel better, thank you so much!I don't think they're thinking that hard about it and/or care that deeply. Don't out yourself.
ih8themcat!
Full Member
Ahhh shoot. I'm hoping to make up for it by showing up for a later one and hoping they don't hold it against us. Its an additional session though so I'm praying they don't really count itHaha I did this too, finally attended one, and then submitted an application. There were only 2 other people in the PSTP info session though so my guess is that they noticed our absence when we didn't show 🤷♂️
I still wouldn't worry about it. Keeping track of who did and did not show is just another factor that they probably don't want to deal with. They have to dig through 8,000+ applications, schedule interviews, etc.. You missing the financial aid session has to be so low tier as to not even register.Ahhh shoot. I'm hoping to make up for it by showing up for a later one and hoping they don't hold it against us. Its an additional session though so I'm praying they don't really count it
soccerbob69
Full Member
Usually 1/3How’s the post II acceptance rate here ? Also how many do you guys think they. Accept
How’s the post II acceptance rate here ? Also how many do you guys think they. Accept
Last year’s numbers showed 333 admission offers for 743 IIs in total.
333/743 ≈ 44.8%
Makes me feel a little bit hopeful!
goodluckpanda!
Full Member
Last year’s numbers showed 333 admission offers for 743 IIs in total.
333/743 ≈ 44.8%
Makes me feel a little bit hopeful!
where did you get this information? I thought they gave out way more interviews for some reason but totally could be wrong
soccerbob69
Full Member
Also, from their website last year: https://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/admissions/who-we-are/class-profilewhere did you get this information? I thought they gave out way more interviews for some reason but totally could be wrong
Last year’s numbers showed 333 admission offers for 743 IIs in total.
333/743 ≈ 44.8%
Makes me feel a little bit hopeful!
So then, the above numbers are incorrect.Also, from their website last year: https://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/admissions/who-we-are/class-profile
295/931 = 31.68%
So then, the above numbers are incorrect.
295/931 = 31.68%
Oops. I was using a spreadsheet that always goes around stating all sorts of stats for 2021.
Guess they had incomplete information!
SeriouslyDelirious
Full Member
I believe they said in this year's interview that they're interviewing roughly ~1,000 people (and probably still ~300 accepts), so I'm guessing it's only going down from last year welp 🙂
imadethisaccountforpremed
Full Member
For ppl who have interviewed already: When did you receive the post-interview email that has your interviewer's contact info? I interviewed today and haven't received mine yet but don't wanna email and ask for it if it is too early. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same day around 5pm ESTFor ppl who have interviewed already: When did you receive the post-interview email that has your interviewer's contact info? I interviewed today and haven't received mine yet but don't wanna email and ask for it if it is too early. Thanks!
Pre-II R, OOS, complete start of November
BunnanaBoat
Full Member
Pre-II R, OOS, complete 11/15
I think if there were required in any way, they would include them as part of the interview day. They know you're interested if you took the time, effort, and money to apply and interview.
I was having the same worry. My work has now kept me from two sessions I signed up for and I’m afraid I look like an idiot/like I don’t care.
But I really do wanna attend these things! I’ll see if I can reschedule one or two. I actually went to one that I didn’t sign up for because I got an email about it, and it was very helpful.
D
deleted1139548
Pitt is not straight pass/fail, right?
Preclinical yes, but during the clerkships I believe it's honor/high honor etcPitt is not straight pass/fail, right?
Preclinical is P/F. Core clerkships are Honors / High Pass / Pass / Fail. There are elective clerkships in your fourth year which go back to P / F, although some of these are being replaced, such as the Specialty Care clerkship. This is with the old curriculum though. Not sure what the three rivers curriculum will bring next year in terms of clinicals though
Honestly the more I think about it the more I'm intrigued to apply to the PSTP. Seems like a great research resource given the formal research training you receive through some of the courses they offer. It is a whole extra year though...
I’m someone hoping to pick up an extra degree while in med school (prob mph w/epi or biostats focus). The way I see it: I’m losing a year of wages by spending another year studying, but I’m picking up invaluable skills that will help me contribute to the advancement of my fields of interest. You don’t want to look back and wish you’d spent the time exploring and learning before you get settled into your career or siloed into a research discipline.
But you could also pickup the research skills through other avenues. So no wrong answer 🙂
Honestly the more I think about it the more I'm intrigued to apply to the PSTP. Seems like a great research resource given the formal research training you receive through some of the courses they offer. It is a whole extra year though...
I’m interested in the PCAT and applied a few weeks ago! I wish there was an information session for that too, but I haven’t seen one mentioned!
goodluckpanda!
Full Member
Any PSTP interviews yet?
In the email, they said starting Dec 20th I think.
SeriouslyDelirious
Full Member
Did you receive a PSTP II? // Which email are you referring toIn the email, they said starting Dec 20th I think.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
goodluckpanda!
Full Member
Did you receive a PSTP II? // Which email are you referring to
No, I don’t think they have started coming out just yet or maybe today they have. I got an email saying thank you for completing your PSTP application we are reviewing it and will be sending out interviews starting dec 20. I got the email on Dec 1.
Has anyone who submitted in September still not heard back yet? It seems like they are already on November but I haven't heard anything
Have you checked your portal? Sometimes people don’t get an email but their portal status has already been updated.Has anyone who submitted in September still not heard back yet? It seems like they are already on November but I haven't heard anything
anxiousthrowaway
Full Member
is there anyone who's already interviewed who might be able to talk to me about the team exercise during the interview? there wasn't much info and i haven't really been able to find anything, but just want to be prepared!
anxiousthrowaway
Full Member
I don't think it's chronological. I submitted my secondary end of October and got my II middle of NovemberHave you checked your portal? Sometimes people don’t get an email but their portal status has already been updated.