2022-2023 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My 3/17 crew what are the odds we hear back tomorrow??

Members don't see this ad :)
can't say too much but the MMI was honestly really easy and not stressful at all. I recommend looking up practice ethical questions from Casper to prep!
Not sure if you can answer this, but what is the format for patient scenarios's. Are you the doctor? They said you don't need any medical knowledge, but I feel that would be hard to do if you are roleplaying as their physician.

I also got an II today and slots are full?? I emailed admissions to see if its a mistake.
When I got the invite, All the slots I saw for March were full, I emailed and they said they will release new dates and to check back for more of them. Not sure if they're still doing that though

do I just email the letter of intent to the admissions committee? or to the dean?

Still waiting..

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
To the people with current interview dates are full -- if you guys continue to have trouble signing up when new dates open, keep trying to contact admission. They may sign up in your stead (through their end) to ensure you have a spot. The downside is, of course, that you have no choice in timing, but at least you'll have an interview date. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
What? Over a month for you?!!
lol still waiting for 2/24 decisions
I waited for my post-interview decision from here for several (over 2+) months. Not exaggerating, either. My application was never incomplete, there were no red flags, and I’m just a standard in-state applicant. No reason was ever offered for why I had to wait so long, all I know is that the “15 working day” promise of theirs is not a steadfast truth.

Do any current students have insight onto how the rotation site-selection process works here? Asking because I live very close to two of the listed sites, and I’m just curious if Western’s process allows for us to indicate a preference when the time comes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I waited for my post-interview decision from here for several (over 2+) months. Not exaggerating, either. My application was never incomplete, there were no red flags, and I’m just a standard in-state applicant. No reason was ever offered for why I had to wait so long, all I know is that the “15 working day” promise of theirs is not a steadfast truth.
damn thats rough. i have no problem waiting but i just wish they didn't keep us in the dark about when to expect a decision. every other school i got into either gave results faster than expected or on time.

Reactions: 1 user
No interview but another "application still with admissions committee"
I've been complete since September and have not received a single email from them since. I'm guessing this is a bad thing?

I love how i never got a secondary or a rejection from these people. Jesus.

Their admissions office is 100% disorganized. A major red flag for applicants. Who would want to deal with this in med school when paying $62,000/year

They called many students on accident to tell them they were accepted recently- and they were NOT! Yikes

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Their admissions office is 100% disorganized. A major red flag for applicants. Who would want to deal with this in med school when paying $62,000.
Sour grapes. You are just too good for WesternU COMP. Advise you to go to favorite MD / DO schools that gave you interviews and admissions. Please do not bad mouth the school for trying to admit the best candidates. A lot of MD or DO schools do not reject candidates. WesternU is the best DO school in the west. Bless you. Good luck to you in your future medical school life.

Their admissions office is 100% disorganized. A major red flag for applicants. Who would want to deal with this in med school when paying $62,000.
Not that I'm in support of them, but schools have different offices for things. Disorganized admissions offices != bad preclinical education != bad clinical education. There are bad things about every school/things every school can improve

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
They called many students on accident to tell them they were accepted recently- and they were NOT! Yikes

Sour grapes. You are just too good for WesternU COMP. Advise you to go to favorite MD / DO schools that gave you interviews and admissions. Please do not bad mouth the school for trying to admit the best candidates. A lot of MD or DO schools do not reject candidates. WesternU is the best DO school in the west. Bless you. Good luck to you in your future medical school life.

Thank you for your kind words. Applicants need to be aware of the reality of Western admissions process.

Please be respectful on SDN of OUR experience as current applicants. You are a recent graduate of Western and may not have had the experience we are having.

As future medical students- we are not wearing rose colored glasses here. It is best that we are fully aware of the pros and cons of each program we are potentially matriculating into.

Hm. It is a terrible accident but Western is not the only school that has done that. Even Mayo had the similar situation few years ago. Do you think they are disorganized in general? I’m just curious why you are so upset and what you think applicants should be aware of as I’m one of the applicants too

Reactions: 3 users
I am not upset- just forewarning applicants. Read all of the complaining on this trail. There have been an additional 2 issues with my application process and I am just trying to figure out the reason why there have been so many hiccups. Overall- I believe Western will deliver a great education, however they have a-lot of work to do, improving their admissions office department and organization.

I am not upset- just forewarning applicants. Read all of the complaining on this trail. There have been an additional 2 issues with my application process and I am just trying to figure out the reason why there have been so many hiccups. Overall- I believe Western will deliver a great education, however they have a-lot of work to do, improving their admissions office department and organization.
you're absolutely right, Western is incredibly disorganized regarding admin-related things. I haven't had a single school screw up this horrendously when it comes to interviews/admissions.

would you be saying this if you had gotten in?

• Wow
I've read everything on this school's thread and couldn't really find anything that is exceptionally worse than other schools. I was just trying to figure out what specific experiences you had with them! I am sorry that you were unhappy with the admission office :( But good luck to you!

As someone who was affected by this myself, I can say that they ultimately did right by their mistake. They did not rescind the acceptances. They accepted all affected students.

Most of those affected never even knew and it never really mattered that they didn’t know. They never sent out a letter saying “We made a mistake,” or anything of the sort. It upset me so much at the time because I was waiting for my official letter and so I called them and that’s when this bomb was dropped. But the next day, they sent out the official letters. The lesson learned here, for me, was to wait until you get the tangible acceptance offer letter (and even then, schools like UCLA and Mayo have messed up).

Reactions: 4 users
Will be canceling my interview this week as this school gives me bad vibes, and I already have another acceptance. hope it opens up a spot for someone!

• Care
As someone who was affected by this myself, I can say that they ultimately did right by their mistake. They did not rescind the acceptances. They accepted all affected students.

Most of those affected never even knew and it never really mattered that they didn’t know. They never sent out a letter saying “We made a mistake,” or anything of the sort. It upset me so much at the time because I was waiting for my official letter and so I called them and that’s when this bomb was dropped. But the next day, they sent out the official letters. The lesson learned here, for me, was to wait until you get the tangible acceptance offer letter (and even then, schools like UCLA and Mayo have messed up).
just because they made mistakes at big-name schools doesn't mean it can be used to justify other schools' mistakes. UCLA and Mayo should be reprimanded for their incompetent administrative practices. we shouldn't be making excuses for schools that make errors with massive consequences because it's a slippery slope. That being said, it is a breath of fresh air to see that Western allegedly accepted all affected students.

I understand your frustration, but it does sound like you are saying this as someone who is bitter that they did not get accepted. There’s complaining on virtually every medical school thread on SDN, atleast from my experience.

It is a process that is needs a TON of improvement and common courtesy to the applicant pool.

I understand your frustration, but it does sound like you are saying this as someone who is bitter that they did not get accepted. There’s complaining on virtually every medical school thread on SDN, atleast from my experience.

Of course there are pros/cons at all schools. It is OK to voice a concern for positive change for the next round of applicants. Speaking up will foster improvement.

• Care

I have accepted a seat at another program. I wished the WU admission process was more organized and put together. This would have eliminated additional layers of unnecessary stress. Other MD/DO schools that I interviewed at have kept in close communication the entire time, and gave us the common courtesy with frequent updates as needed.

they "accidentally" sent me an interview invite and at the time, I wasn't interested in western just due to the lack of [a particular specialty] on the previous match list. hence where my criticism of their admin comes from.

Last edited:
sorry, im confused lol
they essentially rescinded the invite. i will mention the process is slightly different for international students so they gave a relatively valid reason.

edit: its more complicated than i can relay over sdn. more clarification and long story short, they rescinded my original invite and sent me another one a month later.

Last edited:
they essentially rescinded the invite. i will mention the process is slightly different for international students so they gave a relatively valid reason.

edit: its more complicated than i can relay over sdn.
i see. hopefully you hear more this week :eek:

• Care

edit: its more complicated than i can relay over sdn. more clarification and long story short, they rescinded my original invite and sent me another one a month later.

Initially COMP told me they did not have a minimum MCAT, then told me they did, then they didn’t??! I was soon after invited to interview.
Second- they sent me an error email last week saying we regret to inform you you will not be invited for an interview after I already had the interview.
Shortly after- I learned they called people on accident to offer an acceptance.

• Care
  • Sad
WesternU ****ed up, **** happens. If you don’t want your spot, 100s are in line behind you that want it.

As a current student, the admin team has very little effect on our day to day experience.

We also got a new dean installed this past few months as the previous one was promoted to be the dean of the entire university system, so maybe they are just getting use to it. Remember everyone is human, including admission committee ppl.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users