2022-2023 Wright State (Boonshoft)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to BSOM on 1/6 (LM 70, IS, Interview on 12/14), and I was wondering about opportunities for research at BSOM. I want to do research in med school and was wondering if any current students could shed some light on if it is pretty easy to find research, publish, etc. Thanks!
It is not easy to find research but it is easy to publish

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!
Upperclassman at BSOM. Here is my honest feedback on the school to assist you with your decisions:

On flipped classroom: There are absolutely no lectures at school. You learn by reading from books, watching YouTube videos, or purchasing review material like Boards and Beyond. If you have questions, some teachers have office hours but it’s very difficult to meet with a professor in person. There are discussion boards online that you can use, but that is about it. Essentially you read/do flash cards the night before and then are required to attend a three hour class the next day where you have peer to peer discussion on clinically based questions. I personally hated this style and felt like students were left to learn from each other (blind leading the blind) and as result felt like my foundation of knowledge was pretty shaky. It would be nice if the in-person 3 hour classes were optional versus required, but that is not going to happen. In essence, you are actually spending $40k+/yr to teach yourself (not just a metaphor).

Clinicals: absolutely phenomenal. You learn the most here, not really in preclinical. In some ways the preclinical curriculum at BSOM preps you for being a really good clinician, versus being a good test taker. You rotate at the VA, Air Force base, Miami valley (level 1 trauma, stroke center), and stand-alone children’s hospital. You get great training for residency. The clinical skills and professional skills portion of the curriculum are truly the gems of the school. In the hospital, for certain rotations, you might rotate with PA and nursing students and sometimes they’ll get the learning opportunities. Likewise, for some rotations you might be paired up with NPs rather than physicians. Good learning to some degree but a detriment in others.

Teachers: a lot of admin and fantastic teachers have left during my time. To the point, my classmates and I are hesitant about the way the school is going. The dean is newish and is trying to build it up, but it’s not quite there yet. Always felt like student concerns weren’t taken very seriously and felt like the teacher/admin agenda always overshadowed/given more weight than student feedback. Nevertheless, there are some things that have changed because of the feedback given in previous years, so I guess you win and lose some battles.

People/Town/environment: people are nice but can be cliquey depending on the class. The more diverse the class, the better it is. Classes are actually pretty diverse ethnically, but a majority of students are from Ohio. From my experience, the Ohioans stick together and everyone else mingles with each other. The town is suburban. You will definitely need a car to get around. There’s a good deal of shopping malls/restaurants, but things that are fun to do are few (compared to big cities). Lots of nice parks, hiking trails. The area is slowly getting nicer. New boba place across from the school last year. It’s a very relaxed environment at school/hospital. You are never expected to know everything and you are treated like a learner. Great teaching in the hospitals!

Research: there is a portion incorporated into the curriculum, but coming from a large academic institute, the research opportunities are extremely minimal and you have to force yourself to randomly reach out to attendings you rotate with.

Extra curricular: there are good deal of student orgs at school, but they are not very well integrated/cohesive and the community’s knowledge of the school is almost null. There are patients you will take care of who will be like “I didn’t even know there was a medical school in Dayton.” Have told the deans about this issue many times, but there doesn’t seem to be a good answer to it. You can volunteer at the student run clinic or homeless shelters. You can participate in specialty specific student orgs. You can join orgs like SNMA, LMSA.
wow, total opposite of what I was told on my interview day by the student panel 😭 however they were both MS1 so hopefully things have gotten better. For example, I was told for flipped classrooms, yes you have to study by yourself, but there is a prof when you go to class and they teach in between the questions with slides. So to your knowledge this is not currently the case? Also told teachers were super accessible if you need help. also told research is super easy to acquire... omg 😭😭

wow, total opposite of what I was told on my interview day by the student panel 😭 however they were both MS1 so hopefully things have gotten better. For example, I was told for flipped classrooms, yes you have to study by yourself, but there is a prof when you go to class and they teach in between the questions with slides. So to your knowledge this is not currently the case? Also told teachers were super accessible if you need help. also told research is super easy to acquire... omg 😭😭
In the classroom, you answer questions individually with clickers. If a majority of the class gets the question wrong, you get about 2 minutes to discuss as a random group and input your answers through the clicker. If the majority gets it right this time, the professor will spend a few minutes having students explain the concept to each other with a microphone. If the majority still gets it wrong, the professor might have 1-2 PowerPoint slides and will go through the concept for everyone. So, if you personally do not understand the concepts and you answer the questions wrong, but a majority of the class answers them right, you might not ever get an explanation unless you personally seek out one-on-one teaching time with the teacher. There are NO lectures (just short explanations) you get in between questions. The curriculum is very much made to help you get used to independent learning (something you will be doing as a resident/attending). If you are the type of person who needs lectures and thorough explanations for a list of topics, the school's curriculum may not be the best for you. I now enjoy just reading articles for learning and can no longer stand any type of lecture that is more than 1 hour long.

For teachers, I am not sure about that anymore. As I mentioned, a majority of the teachers we had left the city/school. So maybe the news ones are more accessible? If they are PhD-educated professors, they might have more office hours. However, if they are MD/DO professors & they have clinical responsibilities, they would be most likely accessible via email/online discussion board. The MD/DO teachers do not really have a permanent office in the school. So, they may be accessible via email/online format, but not really with face-to-face office hours. I feel like most med-schools are like this though. MD/DO professors have offices in the places where they work clinically. At least, that is what I experienced. Some in my class put in the effort to set up meetings with teachers. I did not.

For research, it is easy to acquire because there is a required research component of the curriculum. You work with 1-2 faculty and they help you with planning and completing a project. There is no place that just lists faculty/docs' research. If you are interested in specific research, you have to put in the effort and email people. For the research I participated in, I was working with attendings and they mentioned they were doing a project and I asked if I could join. Sometimes, it feels like you have to be in the right place at the right time. That said, I think I have more research/publications than other students at other schools, but that is because I had research experience before med school and know the way the system works. Med school is your time to put in the effort to reach your end goal. If you're interested in EM, surgery, etc... you're going to be putting in the effort to seek out research anyways, and you will have plenty of opportunities to get involved with research. The only limitation you would have is not knowing who to contact to get started.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A this morning as well! interviewed 1/4. is there an accepted students fb or groupme?

Have not heard from this school at all, complete 8/3, IS, 3.85/514. Probably over for me here?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anybody with an A gotten their official acceptance letter and packet in the mail?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know what % of all interviews have been sent for WSU? (to know if I even have a chance)

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!!!! When is it scheduled for?
Thank you! I have to wait for a follow-up email to book the interview. Does anyone know how long between the initial invite email and receiving the email to schedule the interview?

Thank you! I have to wait for a follow-up email to book the interview. Does anyone know how long between the initial invite email and receiving the email to schedule the interview?
I got mine a few hours later

I got the invite on a Friday and never got the follow-up email to book the day/time, so I emailed asking about it on the Sunday after, then they resent it to me on that Monday.

Is a car necessary to get around? Wanted to get as many opinions as possible!

Does anyone know how long wright state will be sending out interviews for?

From what they said in the student panel, yes it is absolutely necessary. They said that you might be able to get away with not having one for your first year but once you start going on rotations you will need a car.

I visited the campus and the city of Dayton. Everything is definitely spread out. You also dont do your rotations in the same place, so a car is definitely necessary.

Last edited:

Current student- Car absolutely necessary. A couple people who live close to campus bike, but winters can get rough. Lots of places to live < 5-10min from school though

From what they said in the student panel, yes it is absolutely necessary. They said that you might be able to get away with not having one for your first year but once you start going on rotations you will need a car.
You can't get away with not having a car your first year. You need a car. period.

Is there a first look day for accepted students? I haven't seen any info about one.

Meaning can we still take acceptances from other schools after contract signing

Got the A yesterday, reapplicant, IS, interviewed 1/18

Reactions: 1 users