2023-2024 Belmont (Frist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
LCME has granted Thomas F. Frist College of Medicine Preliminary Accreditation Status, which means they may now ask for applications for their inaugural class. The school is located in Nashville, Tennessee. Thomas F. Frist, Jr. College of Medicine | Belmont University

There will be 50 in the first cohort of students. Interested applicants can look on the AMCAS application portal in November to add the school. The application window will be short because of the late approval: here are the deadlines:
Primary application via AMCAS due by Thursday, February 29, 2024.
Secondary
(supplemental) applications and a $100 fee are due by Friday, March 15, 2024.

Please use this link to explore more about the school.
Frist College of Medicine Inquiry Form
In the link you can also register for one of 3 virtual information sessions to take place in November and December 2023.

2023-2024 Secondary Essay Prompts: (2000 character limit each)

1. Belmont University is committed to five ways of being:
hope inspiring,
character forming,
future shaping,
community engaging, and
bridge building.

Choose one and detail how this way of being impacts your life and future practice.

2. As a new medical school, we believe in building a culture of diversity and inclusion along with the dignity and worth of all people. What do you see as the opportunities and challenges of an increasingly diverse medical community?

3. Our inaugural class will play a vital role in creating a culture and will be called to thrive in a dynamic and evolving educational environment. Describe a time when you dealt with an ambiguous problem or project, any feedback you received, and what you learned about yourself.

Interview Feedback:
Thomas F. Frist, Jr. College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Isn’t this the program that’s partnering with HCA Healthcare?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Welp. I have no II yet so I might as well apply here too.

Reactions: 3 users
any ideas on how competitive this first class is going to be?

A few thoughts:
- The dean and faculty appear to be decorated and generally from prestigious institutions. From what I can ascertain online, the curriculum should be innovative and rigorous.
- Ties to Vandy through dean/faculty/location, it's unclear where clinicals will occur but you might be able to get into Vandy's hospital system for rotations.
- Some big names are funding the school, notably The Kern Family Foundation (~$630 million in assets) and HCA Healthcare (~$50 billion in assets). There shouldn't be any worries that money will run out, and I think HCA will want this to be a successful school (i.e., it will be "too big to fail"). With that much money, they may be liberal with scholarships for their first class.
- It is religious, which has its pros and cons.
- The affiliation with HCA, while providing a financial buffer, is ultimately a con because I am assuming most clinicals will occur within their system. I have only heard negative things about how they treat students/residents/attendings; so while it is a big name, it might not be the best experience.
- Based on the faculty, it seems like it will have a strong primary care focus. Whether this is a pro/con will be based on your preferences.

I do not plan on applying, but based on what I could find, it does not appear to be as risky of a choice as it does at first glance. Best of luck to all who are applying!

Reactions: 1 users
Likely will be rotating at TriStar Centennial, it’s a large HCA hospital right in the city very near to Belmont. Wouldn’t be surprised if Skyline is a potential rotation site; it’s a big Trauma 1 HCA hospital in the city as well. Vanderbilt obviously uses Vanderbilt facilities. I don’t think there will be much overlap between the two schools. I live in Nashville, so that’s where I’m basing my speculation.

Also Thomas Frist is founder of HCA, school is named after his family.

Application is open, for anyone applying!

Does anyone know what the tuition cost will be? I looked through the website and was unable to find it, unless I missed it somewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the tuition cost will be? I looked through the website and was unable to find it, unless I missed it somewhere
For a private school, I'm going to guess like 70K/year and a total cost of attendance close to 100-110K.

I emailed their office and they said tuition will be around 50k a year, and as of right now, there is no indication that the inaugural class will receive free tuition

I emailed their office and they said tuition will be around 50k a year, and as of right now, there is no indication that the inaugural class will receive free tuition
Makes sense. I wouldn’t expect free tuition, but being less than the private average is nice.

Anyone know if there is a max number of LOR's? I saw on the website they want 3, but didn't know if that was a limit.

“No II today?”

- I said in the wrong school thread.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The school posted its secondary prompts, which we listed above so you can start writing. Wait to be asked before sending it in.
Haha I think I just missed the joke of the original poster lol

Do y'all think we would be eligible for FAFSA at this school or no?
This new medical school is affiliated with Belmont University, an established private university in Nashville.
Since Belmont already has federal loans available for its other Masters and Graduate degree students, I think the system will also be in place for their medical students.
Here is the school's Aid page: Tuition & Aid | Graduate & Professional Students | Belmont University

And see the link I posted above about information sessions.

I would be surprised if the school itself is “for-profit,” but it is obviously affiliated with a large for-profit healthcare system.

Received update email that they will be in touch as soon as my primary is reviewed and processed by them.

Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone attend the information session tonight?

Any takeaways?
Major takeaway is that there are alot of details left to be determined. This is partially because the building isn't even open yet, and partially because they wish for the first class (or classes) to play a major role in shaping the character and culture of the institution. For example, a student run clinic was brought up in the Q&A, and the recruitment people basically said they would love if the first class was interested in setting one up, and that the school would generally be supportive of such endeavors.

I took plenty of notes, so I am more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone got a secondary?
When I attended their information session last week, they said the system for sending out secondaries is still being finalized. They said they are working around the clock to get it up and running, but no one had received secondaries at that point. I'm guessing they are still working on that at the moment.

When I attended their information session last week, they said the system for sending out secondaries is still being finalized. They said they are working around the clock to get it up and running, but no one had received secondaries at that point. I'm guessing they are still working on that at the moment.
This is all so late in the game. I'm so surprised they are even considering a 2024 class.

Is it something I should dress professional for and have webcam on? Or can we just keep webcam off and listen?
It was one of those seminar/webinar things on zoom so you couldn't even see other participants or have the option to have your camera on/speak.

It was one of those seminar/webinar things on zoom so you couldn't even see other participants or have the option to have your camera on/speak.
That's odd. So they did not open the floor to questions? Surely as a new med school they would not silence their potential students

• Okay...
That's odd. So they did not open the floor to questions? Surely as a new med school they would not silence their potential students
They had a text-box "QnA" where you could write out your questions that the Dean then answered at the end of the session.