You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Minnesota
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Andromedaa
M2
Ahh, that's interesting. I'll have to do some digging on their website and find out for sure. As I am from the Minneapolis area, I am really holding out hope that my ties get me an II!I think they only accept updates after receiving an interview invite. I think they also said any update letters have to be submitted by midnight on your interview day, and it had to be a true update, not an LOI. Not 100% sure I remembered this accurately, but I think those were the rules. It was a very narrow window for an update.
D
deleted1167714
When were you marked complete? What are your stats? I hope you get an interview!Ahh, that's interesting. I'll have to do some digging on their website and find out for sure. As I am from the Minneapolis area, I am really holding out hope that my ties get me an II!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are any ppl who answered rural/Indigenous qs still waiting?
me!! OOS with strong ties, submitted mid-Aug, LM 70. praying we get good news soon!!Are any ppl who answered rural/Indigenous qs still waiting?
Stats please?OOS II with moderate ties just now, complete early August
crab_rangoon
UMN-TC MS1
Current MS1 here at UMN TC campus, feel free to shoot me any questions about anything at all! I remember just last year how helpful this thread was for me haha. If you have already interviewed and need help discerning if this school is the one for you, dont hesitate to reach out. If you haven't interviewed yet and would like more information about the process or the school, also reach out! Best of luck to you all!
Andromedaa
M2
Thanks for the well-wishes!When were you marked complete? What are your stats? I hope you get an interview!
I was marked complete on 8/10. LizzyM is 70.9 (3.99 GPA and 511 MCAT). I'm born and raised in Minnesota, but went to undergrad in Iowa. Living in the Twin Cities now while I tackle interviews and such. I was actually able to attend a two-part UMN MMI/interview practice session due to having a UMN student ID from high school. Hoping this shows initiative and helps me get an interview 🙂
Edit 3:33 pm CST: I did answer the rural MN question due to volunteering in a smaller rural hospital. I did not answer the indigenous question, though.
Last edited:
premed0909
Full Member
I am. IS w/ strong school ties, but submitted a bit later than everyone else. LM 67.2Are any ppl who answered rural/Indigenous qs still waiting?
You don't know that, but if you selected Duluth as your main campus, your application was probably sent there and not the TC. So, the TC campus may not even have your application, unfortunately. Apologies.
When did you submit ??I am. IS w/ strong school ties, but submitted a bit later than everyone else. LM 67.2
Probably for the best. My wife doesn't handle cold that well. lol Going to Minnesota was probably never on the table for me.You don't know that, but if you selected Duluth as your main campus, your application was probably sent there and not the TC. So, the TC campus may not even have your application, unfortunately. Apologies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MedWiseMaven
Full Member
Hi, did the freeform interviewer have access to your application during the interview?Try to relax, as everyone was super nice. It was one of my favorite interviews. The people were so lovely, the questions in the MMI were fair, and it was just a good day all around. The students in the Q&A were also awesome. I had tech issues during my MMI, and they were very understanding and let me make up a station at the end since I kept getting kicked off Zoom.
diamond82q
Full Member
It's a closed file interviewHi, did the freeform interviewer have access to your application during the interview?
Is it a closed file interview for the UMD rural interview portion?
premed0909
Full Member
Mid SeptWhen did you submit ??
premed0909
Full Member
I'm also from rural MN, so a strong mission fit.When did you submit ??
UMD is open fileIs it a closed file interview for the UMD rural interview portion?
I’m interviewing soon and have some questions about UMN. I’m gonna pm you!Current MS1 here at UMN TC campus, feel free to shoot me any questions about anything at all! I remember just last year how helpful this thread was for me haha. If you have already interviewed and need help discerning if this school is the one for you, dont hesitate to reach out. If you haven't interviewed yet and would like more information about the process or the school, also reach out! Best of luck to you all!
3rd year non-trad also happy to answer questions.
ruralfistula
Full Member
You don't know that, but if you selected Duluth as your main campus, your application was probably sent there and not the TC. So, the TC campus may not even have your application, unfortunately. Apologies.
This is not true according to their interview information page.
ya, it only goes to duluth if you answered the questions regardless if you put duluth as your main choice!This is not true according to their interview information page.
Does anyone have a link to the desired qualities/competencies of a UMN medical student?
Could you tell us more about the serve curriculum? Why did they transition away from the pathways program?also current ms1, more than happy to answer questions about the school/new curriculum!
edit: TC campus
What did the email want? Point of contact for the school, an activity you listed?Anyone get a “point of contact” email from an UMN Duluth student?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At least to my knowledge, the Serve curriculum is the exact same as the Pathways programs, they just wanted to rename it to Serve as they felt the new name better encapsulated its purpose. You still choose a pathway, now called an MPact course which focuses on one of the following five populations: 2SLGBTQIA+, Immigrant/Refugee, Indigenous, Rural, or Urban, all of which are available on both campuses, although Duluth focuses much more heavily on Rural and Indigenous health. Your MPact course meets once a week and it gives you the opportunity to learn more about your population of interest by hearing from community members, reading relevant articles, and doing reflection assignments. There's also an associated capstone project over all four semesters. From what I've heard, you guys will still choose an MPact pathway, it will just be after you're accepted or matriculate. But I don't work with the admission committee so it's just speculation.Could you tell us more about the serve curriculum? Why did they transition away from the pathways program?
The other main changes with the Serve curriculum are that we moved to a systems-based curriculum and are transitioning to a 1.5-year preclinical, meaning you'll take Step 1 in late February/early March of your 2nd year and begin your clinical rotations shortly after. Let me know if you have any other questions, and @crab_rangoon feel free to add/correct anything you think I missed!
OOS II
Complete 8/5
Complete 8/5
MedWiseMaven
Full Member
How difficult were the MMI questions when you interviewed? I’m using third party resources to practice and some of the questions are not the easiest.Current MS1 here at UMN TC campus, feel free to shoot me any questions about anything at all! I remember just last year how helpful this thread was for me haha. If you have already interviewed and need help discerning if this school is the one for you, dont hesitate to reach out. If you haven't interviewed yet and would like more information about the process or the school, also reach out! Best of luck to you all!
Also, any specific resources you recommend?
OOS II!
Congrats! Stats please?OOS II!
complete date and stats?OOS II!
+1How difficult were the MMI questions when you interviewed? I’m using third party resources to practice and some of the questions are not the easiest.
Also, any specific resources you recommend?
D
deleted1167714
What day did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?I interviewed in late September and we were told that our interview day would probably be the last one that hears on December 8th, but that there was a chance that even our group wouldn't hear until February. Unless things changed dramatically, I would imagine people who interviewed last week won't hear until February.
I interviewed 10/10. Was told we will hear forsure Dec 8th
diamond82q
Full Member
I interviewed 2 weeks ago and they said we were probs not hearing back in Dec
ruralfistula
Full Member
To those that heard different information regarding hearing back, keep in mind there might be differences between the two campuses for decision dates.
D
deleted1167714
What campus did you interview at?I interviewed 10/10. Was told we will hear forsure Dec 8th
They said we were interviewing for both locations. I did have a Duluth portionWhat campus did you interview at?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if applicants interviewing for Duluth will also be considered for TC? For instance, if you answered the rural question but signaled TC as your preferred campus?
TheD1Doctor
Full Member
Great question, as I also did this as well.Does anyone know if applicants interviewing for Duluth will also be considered for TC? For instance, if you answered the rural question but signaled TC as your preferred campus?
Someone reached out and told me to email this address (Duluth campus) a few weeks ago ([email protected]) to inquire more, but I have yet to hear back. Do you want to give it a shot?Great question, as I also did this as well.
TheD1Doctor
Full Member
Sure, I'll send one tomorrow morning!Someone reached out and told me to email this address (Duluth campus) a few weeks ago ([email protected]) to inquire more, but I have yet to hear back. Do you want to give it a shot?
Thank you. There isn't much information on the U's webpage to answer our question.Sure, I'll send one tomorrow morning!