2023-2024 NYU (Grossman)

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any other verified applicants not receive a secondary yet? I’m sure it’s probably just them getting things out in batches slowly, but I haven’t seen anyone else mention not receiving them and wanted to make sure my email wasn’t being weird since that’s happened before.
I have been verified since 6/1 and haven't received a secondary yet either!
 
Here's a question: so, there's a couple secondary questions without a word requirement, e.g.:
If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

Not being an adcom, I can think of 2 ways to interpret this:
(1) Less is more. They read lots of apps. This is a chance to show cogency.
(2) Show us something heartfelt, tell us a story/go into detail.

Anyone able to weigh in on either interpretation? And, if possible, your basis for the opinion (adcom, affiliate, past experience, etc.)

Thanks!
I also have been thinking about point 1 but I'm not sure if adcoms think about it this way (unless your essay is clearly wordy for the sake of being wordy)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The gap year essay asks what we have been doing since graduating college.. I graduated in May, should I talk about what I plan to do in my gap year or what I have been doing (besides applying to medical school) since May?
 
Would anyone be willing to share which of the 3 prompts you're responding to and why?

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?

3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?
so i wanted to write about my brother with a less common subtype of autism here and how i learned to be a better sister to him rather than just a third parent (since i'm eight years older than him). i was going to write for 3, but i feel like because it's a bit larger scale than just a situation - so i might put it under 1. any thoughts on if that would be appropriate?
 
so i wanted to write about my brother with a less common subtype of autism here and how i learned to be a better sister to him rather than just a third parent (since i'm eight years older than him). i was going to write for 3, but i feel like because it's a bit larger scale than just a situation - so i might put it under 1. any thoughts on if that would be appropriate?
What a crazy coincidence. My brother also has autism - I wrote about him in my personal statement though so decided against writing about him again for this prompt. To answer your question, I agree using that topic for #1 would fit better than #3! Maybe you could orient it around your sense of accomplishment about how being a better sister to him has helped him and what you've learned about yourself in the process? That would be a great essay in my opinion!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did anyone who received II have a status change on portal that application was under review or does it just say "application is ready"?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 OOS II!!! I'm stunned. Congratulations to everyone who received it today as well 😀
(Also are others having an issue with the scheduling calendar?)
 
Question about interviews; was anyone elses earliest interview available in October? The website said interview season from sept-december, so Im guessing you are considered lower priority if you cant schedule an interview in September possibly, or am I tripping.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question about interviews; was anyone elses earliest interview available in October? The website said interview season from sept-december, so Im guessing you are considered lower priority if you cant schedule an interview in September possibly, or am I tripping.
My options were all in the last two weeks of September. Not sure it says anything about priority. Could just be that your app got reviewed slightly later or however they sort the order in which II’s go out, yours was sent a few hours after other people and by that time the September slots had filled up.
 
Question about interviews; was anyone elses earliest interview available in October? The website said interview season from sept-december, so Im guessing you are considered lower priority if you cant schedule an interview in September possibly, or am I tripping.
Yes but I also scheduled a bit later (around 2PM Central)

Is anyone else with an II still unable to schedule an interview?
I had a similar problem but realize I actually didn't press "submit" for one of the technical pages. Make sure you didn't just complete it, but pressed submit!