2023-2024 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They had been screening out lot of students aiming for high stats until this year to make themselves look good to the state. Now that they have state funding, I am guessing they are doing more holistic reviews.
Wait since when did SHSU have state funding??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting this year their tuition is about 26,500, more in line with other state subsidized TMDSAS schools.
Cruise through this year’s thread to read more
People paid 55k last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
They had been screening out lot of students aiming for high stats until this year to make themselves look good to the state. Now that they have state funding, I am guessing they are doing more holistic reviews.
why would they screen OUT higher stat applicants?

why would they screen OUT higher stat applicants?
aiming for high stat students - If you check profiles of last few years, you will see medians closer other established TX state schools than a typical DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
Any tips for the SHSU interview?
Sure. It's an in-person interview, so be prepared to walk around and interact with others face-to-face. Other than that, every person is super nice and really inviting for any questions you may have. (I can't talk about specifics regarding the interview, but take a deep breath; you got this!)

yall gotta let us know how the food was during your interview days 👀I’m still missing the mac and cheese they served

• Haha
yall gotta let us know how the food was during your interview days 👀I’m still missing the mac and cheese they served
Honestly, same! It was super good, especially the spicy one. I miss it.

IS II today. Complete 7/3. LM 68.5. Reapplicant.

I've aligned my chakras and I am ascending beyond the Samsara.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
IS II today. Complete 7/3. LM 68.5. Reapplicant.

I've aligned my chakras and I am ascending beyond the Samsara.
I had to google the meaning of samsara since in one Indian language it is interpreted as married life. :)

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone who has interviewed recommend taking a notepad for notes, and also if it’s allowed to write thoughts down during the two minutes of the MMI stations?

I finished my interview here today! Was there supposed to be a thank you/confirmation email for finishing?

I finished my interview here today! Was there supposed to be a thank you/confirmation email for finishing?

I did receive one from the portal saying thanks for completing the interview. But this was back in July, not sure if they changed it.

I know it's still very early, but when do pre-matches tend to happen?

Does anyone who has interviewed recommend taking a notepad for notes, and also if it’s allowed to write thoughts down during the two minutes of the MMI stations?
I interviewed yesterday. They will give you a pen and some paper to write with.

Does anyone know how we can send thank you letters to our specific interviewers?

Does anyone know how we can send thank you letters to our specific interviewers?

If you remembered their name, email them specifically. If not, email [email protected] and say thank you to who you liked/ had a genuine connection with, they will look to see who it was an forward the email.

Ex. Dear admissions,

I first want to say thank you for having me as an interviewee, I really enjoyed the food provided and the breakdown of the curriculum.

I also wanted to extend a thank you to the student ambassadors that gave a tour of the building, they answered all the questions I had regarding school-life balance.

My interviewer, Dr. Soandso gave me a warm welcome as well.

I hope to continue being around such positive energy next year at SHSU COM!

Thanks again,

First name last name
TMDSAS ID# --------

Reactions: 1 users
If you remembered their name, email them specifically. If not, email [email protected] and say thank you to who you liked/ had a genuine connection with, they will look to see who it was an forward the email.

Ex. Dear admissions,

I first want to say thank you for having me as an interviewee, I really enjoyed the food provided and the breakdown of the curriculum.

I also wanted to extend a thank you to the student ambassadors that gave a tour of the building, they answered all the questions I had regarding school-life balance.

My interviewer, Dr. Soandso gave me a warm welcome as well.

I hope to continue being around such positive energy next year at SHSU COM!

Thanks again,

First name last name
TMDSAS ID# --------
Thank you!

After submitting a secondary how long did it take to hear back for an interview?

Just received II! IS. Complete 07/22.

Reactions: 6 users
II received today! Complete early June. Anyone sign up for Oct. 20 interview? :)

Reactions: 6 users
II IS on 10/5 LM 68 secondary submitted mid-late july

Reactions: 5 users
So I’m a little unclear on how TMDSAS prematch/match day works. My employer denied my time off for Oct 20 (which is when I initially scheduled my interview), so I rescheduled to November 3. Will interviewing later in the cycle hurt my chances? It’s 2 weeks from my original date but looks like SHSU only interviews into January. TIA for insight!

Just got the “This email is to notify you the Admissions Committee has completed its review of your file.” email

Reactions: 3 users
So I’m a little unclear on how TMDSAS prematch/match day works. My employer denied my time off for Oct 20 (which is when I initially scheduled my interview), so I rescheduled to November 3. Will interviewing later in the cycle hurt my chances? It’s 2 weeks from my original date but looks like SHSU only interviews into January. TIA for insight!
All schools will be done interviewing by January this year because the day applicants need to submit their rank list of all the schools that interviewed them is February 2.
Prematch offers can be made any time after October 15 and an early November interview date is still eligible for one, and if no prematch offer comes from it you are still plenty early for the TMDSAS Match.

Just got the “This email is to notify you the Admissions Committee has completed its review of your file.” email
I did as well. To save someone some time, based on last year's thread it looks like receiving this completion email isn't any indication you're going to get a prematch offer

Reactions: 1 users
Does SHSU do post interview rejections?
Last year I was on the waitlist, and it seems most people were in the same boat.

Does SHSU do post interview rejections?
Last year I was on the waitlist, and it seems most people were in the same boat.
I mean, I'm sure that some people would have only interviewed at SHSU and then not match. I assume that's like the only way to know if you get a Post-II R.

I mean, I'm sure that some people would have only interviewed at SHSU and then not match. I assume that's like the only way to know if you get a Post-II R.
I was wondering for those who do not match, is there a post interview R or does everyone without a match get waitlisted?

I was wondering for those who do not match, is there a post interview R or does everyone without a match get waitlisted?
As far as I know, I think that you can actually get a Post-II R from schools if you do not match. I think schools can choose who to put on their waitlists. IIRC, waitlists are not automatic for everyone. But take this with a grain of salt cause I have no idea. Maybe @wysdoc can help out more and clarify this.

Last edited:
IS II received 10/12. Completed 8/16. LM 70.6

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As far as I know, I think that you can actually get a Post-II R from schools if you do not match. I think schools can choose who to put on their waitlists. IIRC, waitlists are not automatic for everyone. But take this with a grain of salt cause I have no idea. Maybe @wysdoc can help out more and clarify this.
Thank you 😊!

I don't know if y'all can answer, but about how many MMI or situational-based questions and how many traditional questions were there during the interview? Also, for those who interviewed, did you bring a small bag or purse to hold a notebook, pens, etc.?

Last edited:
I don't know if y'all can answer, but about how many MMI or situational-based questions and how many traditional questions were there during the interview? Also, for those who interviewed, did you bring a small bag or purse to hold a notebook, pens, etc.?
I would not feel comfortable answering the first question. For the second question, they give you a little goodie bag to hold anything you might need (and with some goodies).

Sam Houston interviews are in person?

Tomorrow is the opening day of the prematch period! Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users