2023-2024 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Integrity, accountability, and compassion are UWSMPH core values. Pick one of these and reflect on your lived experience with it"

I initially wrote about one story that demonstrates my compassion, but now I'm realizing the wording of this question. Am I supposed to talk about my compassion over a period of time or what does this mean lol

Members don't see this ad.

"Integrity, accountability, and compassion are UWSMPH core values. Pick one of these and reflect on your lived experience with it"

I initially wrote about one story that demonstrates my compassion, but now I'm realizing the wording of this question. Am I supposed to talk about my compassion over a period of time or what does this mean lol
What I did was tell a story and how that story demonstrates the quality I chose. Then I just made like a general reflection and say how this quality has informed my life choices over the years, including in that story

Dang I just realized I had the U Wisc secondary in my email from 7/14. Do you think they'll consider me not as interested in the program if I submit this late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang I just realized I had the U Wisc secondary in my email from 7/14. Do you think they'll consider me not as interested in the program if I submit this late?
+1. I got this and Miami left so not sure if I'd be wasting my time doing this one as well. Definitely interested in the school but the 3 week turn around might be off putting.

+1. I got this and Miami left so not sure if I'd be wasting my time doing this one as well. Definitely interested in the school but the 3 week turn around might be off putting.
Yeaa this is the only one I have right now. So it may just be worth it for me to do it and cross my fingers.

Does U Wisconsin give a 3-week deadline for returning the secondary, or are you (and @saucyboi ) talking about not knowing it was in your email for 3 weeks?

Does U Wisconsin give a 3-week deadline for returning the secondary, or are you (and @saucyboi ) talking about not knowing it was in your email for 3 weeks?
I didn't know it was in my email for 3 weeks. I only realized that I'd received it after checking this thread and going back to my email and searching 'Wisconsin'. 😅😅

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand this hysteria about submitting 3 weeks later? Like secondaries take a lot of time and a lot of us have full-time jobs this summer as well!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand this hysteria about submitting 3 weeks later? Like secondaries take a lot of time and a lot of us have full-time jobs this summer as well!
probably just me being neurotic from doomscrolling r/premed tbf lol

People on the internet make it seem like your chances drop astronomically if a secondary isn't submitted in a timely manner. It's easy to give into these warnings if you don't have anyone else guiding you.

People on the internet make it seem like your chances drop astronomically if a secondary isn't submitted in a timely manner. It's easy to give into these warnings if you don't have anyone else guiding you.
In most cases it isn't a catastrophe, but there are a few schools that will lock you out of the secondary portal if you miss the deadline! UCLA is one of those. I don't believe Wisconsin sets any hard and fast deadline.

In most cases it isn't a catastrophe, but there are a few schools that will lock you out of the secondary portal if you miss the deadline! UCLA is one of those. I don't believe Wisconsin sets any hard and fast deadline.
Do you know of any besides UCLA?

Do you know of any besides UCLA?
The two that come to mind are Wash U St. Louis and U of Houston Fertitta.

But, every time you get an invitation to do a secondary, please read the entire email top to bottom to look for any tight deadlines.
This will save you worry and help you prioritize which ones you must finish first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having issues with the portal? I had submitted the application 5 days ago and was just checking the portal rn, it says that the application hasn't been submitted and now there's a new link for "Residency." When I click on it, it takes me to an error page. Anyone else experiencing this?

Is anyone else having issues with the portal? I had submitted the application 5 days ago and was just checking the portal rn, it says that the application hasn't been submitted and now there's a new link for "Residency." When I click on it, it takes me to an error page. Anyone else experiencing this?
Are you OOS or IS? In-state applicants can’t submit until later this month

For this question, do we really just discuss our own experiences as examples and how they connect to the mission, or are we supposed to look more into the school's opportunities that would build upon our experiences as a broader "Why Us?" question. In other words, are we ONLY discussing their mission and how our experiences connect to ONLY the mission?
Yes I would say they want to see if what you have spent time on already connects to their mission

Just noticed the covid prompt says 250 but the box is 300... I went off the box just on accident when writing my prompts. Do we think this is okay?

Just noticed the covid prompt says 250 but the box is 300... I went off the box just on accident when writing my prompts. Do we think this is okay?
Same. It's an optional prompt anyways so it doesn't matter too much.

Same. It's an optional prompt anyways so it doesn't matter too much.
I mean, it all matters. Not saying that 50 words is going to make or break your application, but it is probably best to follow the instructions IMO

I mean, it all matters. Not saying that 50 words is going to make or break your application, but it is probably best to follow the instructions IMO
The word count is always just a recommendation. You should write close to it but it doesn't have to be exactly that. 50 words is a sentence or two and I would still say in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter that much.

The word count is always just a recommendation. You should write close to it but it doesn't have to be exactly that. 50 words is a sentence or two and I would still say in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter that much.
Well, I have to disagree. Applying to medical school is so competitive that they try to find reasons not to accept applicants. Why potentially give them a reason by ignoring the stated word limit?

Hey all, question about who is considered a reapplicant to UW SMPH.

Last year, I submitted a primary application here but did not submit a secondary. I emailed UW SMPH to clarify and they said while I'm an "AMCAS reapplicant," I wouldn't be considered a reapplicant to UW SMPH specifically, and wouldn't need to submit an essay response to the reapplicant secondary prompt.

The FAQ-MD section of the secondary app itself threw me off because it says "The re-applicant essay is only for those who are reapplying to UW SMPH. If you submitted a previous AMCAS application but did not complete your application, you must state this in your re-applicant essay." Does that mean all I need to mention in the reapplicant essay box is the underlined part? Or actually write out an essay response?

Sorry if this is super neurotic lol.

Hey all, question about who is considered a reapplicant to UW SMPH.

Last year, I submitted a primary application here but did not submit a secondary. I emailed UW SMPH to clarify and they said while I'm an "AMCAS reapplicant," I wouldn't be considered a reapplicant to UW SMPH specifically, and wouldn't need to submit an essay response to the reapplicant secondary prompt.

The FAQ-MD section of the secondary app itself threw me off because it says "The re-applicant essay is only for those who are reapplying to UW SMPH. If you submitted a previous AMCAS application but did not complete your application, you must state this in your re-applicant essay." Does that mean all I need to mention in the reapplicant essay box is the underlined part? Or actually write out an essay response?

Sorry if this is super neurotic lol.
If you submitted a primary application to a school (which you did) then you are a reapplicant.
You never gave yourself a full chance there last year because you left it incomplete by not submitting a secondary.
So, it can only help you to write the reapplicant essay, not to give an excuse or explanation of why you didn't complete their secondary, but to show some insight about how you have improved your qualifications since last year.

If you submitted a primary application to a school (which you did) then you are a reapplicant.
You never gave yourself a full chance there last year because you left it incomplete by not submitting a secondary.
So, it can only help you to write the reapplicant essay, not to give an excuse or explanation of why you didn't complete their secondary, but to show some insight about how you have improved your qualifications since last year.
Wise (wys?) advice, thank you!

Any IS students that submitted the secondary today? Did you guys receive confirmation?

2018: September 5th
2019: August 27th
2020: September 30th
2021: September 2nd
2022: September 26th

These were the first interview invites sent out the past 5 years. When do we think they'll be sent out this year?

2018: September 5th
2019: August 27th
2020: September 30th
2021: September 2nd
2022: September 26th

These were the first interview invites sent out the past 5 years. When do we think they'll be sent out this year?
Pull out the statistical regression

• Haha
Pull out the statistical regression
1694195507504.png
1694195544079.png

September 26th or 27th, either way we got time

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
they also have a twitter (X?) account that they keep pretty updated during interview season and looks like they haven't said anything about II yet

I have not submitted my secondary yet to this school, is it worth it to even submit it at this point even though I am out OOS and have no ties.

Interviews this week???? (Pls wisco I’m begging)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
How early did IS people get their confirmation of in-state classification? I know for some people the registrar's office had to get further paperwork, but if you didn't mess up anything to begin with how early did you get the confirmation email? I'm wondering how long the in-state pile of applications has actually existed

How early did IS people get their confirmation of in-state classification? I know for some people the registrar's office had to get further paperwork, but if you didn't mess up anything to begin with how early did you get the confirmation email? I'm wondering how long the in-state pile of applications has actually existed
I submitted the first day for IS and received an email today asking for further details to verify residency. I don't think I messed anything up.

You?

I’m in state and didn’t get anything asking to verify residency. Did you get an email?
Yeah, but that was because I submitted the initial form too early, don't mean to make anyone nervous. But like did you get an email confirming that you are a resident? If not then that probably means they don't send them unless you make a mistake lol. I'm just wondering how long admissions has known which applications they can officially deem in-state since a separate office makes that judgment

I submitted the first day for IS and received an email today asking for further details to verify residency. I don't think I messed anything up.

You?
Yeah I just failed to read the fine print and did the residency section of the application ahead of time, not my finest moment, so they sent me an email asking me to resubmit the form recently. I imagine the extra details would depend on your circumstances, can't remember all the details of the residency law but I imagine some ways of claiming it would be more complicated to verify than others. Called the registrar's office in a moment of neuroticism and the person there said a lot of people made the same mistake though I so I don't know what the full picture is.

Yeah, but that was because I submitted the initial form too early, don't mean to make anyone nervous. But like did you get an email confirming that you are a resident? If not then that probably means they don't send them unless you make a mistake lol. I'm just wondering how long admissions has known which applications they can officially deem in-state since a separate office makes that judgment
Oh okay. That might be it. I submitted on the day it opened and just got an email saying my application was complete. It’s been silence since then. I know we have to fill out the residency form but I thought that was due sometime next spring. So I started to panic that I read that part wrong.

Come on statistical regression

• Haha