Albert Einstein vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program?

• Einstein

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Jefferson

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nimbooda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There's another thread on this, but I'm a different person so wanted to weigh the options differently. I'm in my early 30s and want great clinical training with options for research, though research is not my focus.

Jefferson
Pros:

• Loved Center City in Philly
    Large class size = tons of student groups and bigger community
    Nice facilities
    Focus on clinical training
    Rep in surgery and surgical sub-specialties (ortho, ophthalmology, ENT)
    H/P/F (not curvedl; like the opportunity to still "stand out" with Honors)
    Good research opportunities
    Girlfriend more positive about moving to Philly than NYC
    Most positive interview and visit experience of all schools
    Loved the students I met
Cons

• Expensive
    H/P/F (perhaps a negative)
    Less known (no undergrad = no sports teams = less public recognition)
    Perhaps less research opportunities

Einstein
Pros

• Cheaper (probably because of housing)
    Liked most students I met
    Clinical and Research reputation
    Close to NYC
    P/F (not curved)
    Variety of clinical training locations
Cons

• Surrounding area in Bronx nowhere near the awesomeness of Center City, Philly
    Less excited students than Jefferson, but still great people!
    Girlfriend hesitant about NYC

Members don't see this ad.

How much cheaper would Einstein be for you?

How much cheaper would Einstein be for you?
The cost of attendance is about $5K more at Jefferson, but the average indebtedness of graduates is about $50K more. Thats kind of what I'm going off of since I don't have my financial aid packages yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally like Jefferson a lot more than Einstein when I interviewed at both schools. If location is at all a factor to you, Einstein is kind of in a weird part of town, while Jefferson is right smack in the middle of the heart of the city. I also got the general vibe that the Jefferson kids were a lot more happy to be there than the Einstein kids. Jefferson may not be a research powerhouse, but is still a very well respected institution in medicine. Their ortho and optho programs are also some of the best in the country.

I personally like Jefferson a lot more than Einstein when I interviewed at both schools. If location is at all a factor to you, Einstein is kind of in a weird part of town, while Jefferson is right smack in the middle of the heart of the city. I also got the general vibe that the Jefferson kids were a lot more happy to be there than the Einstein kids. Jefferson may not be a research powerhouse, but is still a very well respected institution in medicine. Their ortho and optho programs are also some of the best in the country.

It could have been a test day or something like that. I feel pretty terrible when we have some coming up but then I feel amazing when it's over.

As a con for Jefferson you put "not well known" bc of no undergrad/sports teams. that is true if you ask the average person on the street they probably haven't heard of Jefferson Medical College

FYI- in the medical world Jefferson is very well known, having possibly the most alumni of any US medical school, so residency directors all over the place know about Jefferson.

You can still get a lot of research experiences at Jefferson, both clinical and basic. If you're not that into research, you will be able to find more than enough projects. The departments are very good at getting students plugged into research projects as long as you contact then early on.

As a con for Jefferson you put "not well known" bc of no undergrad/sports teams. that is true if you ask the average person on the street they probably haven't heard of Jefferson Medical College

FYI- in the medical world Jefferson is very well known, having possibly the most alumni of any US medical school, so residency directors all over the place know about Jefferson.

Yes, I know both Jefferson and Einstein are well respected in the medical world. The "known because of sports teams" is my snarky way of coping with my state school rejecting me, which is well known for sports but has a academic/med school rep that is tanking. Guess that happens when a school values sports so much it has fake academic programs to keep their athletes eligible....

Anyway, the more I learn about Jeff the more I realize how well it's known for producing great clinicians. Their match list looks great too (Einstein's as well)

You can still get a lot of research experiences at Jefferson, both clinical and basic. If you're not that into research, you will be able to find more than enough projects. The departments are very good at getting students plugged into research projects as long as you contact then early on.

The College Within College program looks very promising and I'd probably apply for it. I like that Jefferson has these opportunities but does not require it of you. Are you aware of which departments have particularly strong research? I'm guessing Wills and Rothman have great things going on.

Anyone have thoughts on Einstein's strongest research departments?

Status
Not open for further replies.