Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they say how they would make this happen? According to the Federal law, unaccredited institutions cannot receive Federal Financial Aid from the government. Also, on the website for ARCOM, they say that "ARCOM is in the process of seeking financial aid eligibility for disbursement. Details to come as they are made available. (http://arcomedu.org/students/financial-aid/)." I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but COCA will not give accreditation for at least 2 years after the first matriculating class, and from what I understand this can go as far as no accreditation until after the first class is graduated. I can say that it is safe to say you should not expect Federal Loans from ARCOM unless they somehow find a loop-hole to jump through that will establish themselves as an extension of some already accredited institute, but it doesn't look promising since they are a "Private, Non-Profit" school.

They told us that, with provisional accreditation, a non-profit school is eligible for federal financial aid in its first year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

They told us that, with provisional accreditation, a non-profit school is eligible for federal financial aid in its first year.

So after a full year of the first matriculating class? I know most schools it is 2 years, I am not sure why profit status matters, but who knows.

Seems odd, The Department of Education mentions nothing specific to profit status with respect to financial aid eligibility. When I talked to my Federal Loan servicer, she said the only way you can apply for federal aid is if your school has a federal identification number. In order to get that, COCA has to accredit your school or, according to this site below from the DOE, they can use pre-accreditation to apply for Federal Aid, which is what happens already with For-profit and Non-Profit schools. I have no idea where the exemption lies within the COCA guidelines, because it doesn't fall within the DOE guidelines. Look here, http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg8.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems odd, The Department of Education mentions nothing specific to profit status with respect to financial aid eligibility. When I talked to my Federal Loan servicer, she said the only way you can apply for federal aid is if your school has a federal identification number. In order to get that, COCA has to accredit your school or, according to this site below from the DOE, they can use pre-accreditation to apply for Federal Aid, which is what happens already with For-profit and Non-Profit schools. I have no idea where the exemption lies within the COCA guidelines, because it doesn't fall within the DOE guidelines. Look here, http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg8.html
I agree that it's weird, but didn't ACOM have federal aid for their inaugural class too? I wonder if the schools have found a loophole.

Reactions: 1 users
Did they say how they would make this happen? According to the Federal law, unaccredited institutions cannot receive Federal Financial Aid from the government. Also, on the website for ARCOM, they say that "ARCOM is in the process of seeking financial aid eligibility for disbursement. Details to come as they are made available. (http://arcomedu.org/students/financial-aid/)." I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but COCA will not give accreditation for at least 2 years after the first matriculating class, and from what I understand this can go as far as no accreditation until after the first class is graduated. I can say that it is safe to say you should not expect Federal Loans from ARCOM unless they somehow find a loop-hole to jump through that will establish themselves as an extension of some already accredited institute, but it doesn't look promising since they are a "Private, Non-Profit" school.

Edit: Here is where you can find Accredidation Status of your School. ARCOM is "Provisional"
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...-list-of-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine.pdf

I was told today that they will be accredited come February 2017. Straight from the mouth of the financial aid director. All necessary paperwork has been sent in. They have their FAFSA pin already as well, but can't release it yet (obviously). I sat and talked to the woman for 30 minutes. She was incredibly helpful. Potential students will be notified by email and phone once FAFSA code is made available.

See my answer above. They have federal identification number already.

Wow! Man I guess I forgot that from my interview last month lol. Or maybe they didn't go that much in detail with us. They are not playing with the movement there for sure. If any of you guys are from Arkansas (primarily Fort Smith area), how is the diversity there? Is it friendly for minorities? It kinda looked very rural and Ill be moving there with a school age child. Just wanna make sure I consider everything before I put down payments down.

I'd say it is, considering Fort Smith have a very large Vietnamese and Cuban presence (due to Vietnam & The Cuban Missle Crisis, little known fact ;) ). We had an african american woman in our interview group, and she seemed to have no issues with the area (she was a local).

Seriously though, people in Arkansas are SO nice. It's unbelievable. They wave as you drive past them, and I always received a "sir/partner/etc." It's like the Canada of the south.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I remember hearing something about February being the month for FA...

Also, FYI I was told that our group would hear back regarding acceptance decisions around Thanksgiving.

As a non profit they are able to receive FA due to provisional accrededation. However, they are NOT approved for FA right now, and plan to approved in February. I see no reason to why they would not be approved, but the question is am I willing to pay a deposit before they are officially approved....?

I was told today that they will be accredited come February 2017. Straight from the mouth of the financial aid director. All necessary paperwork has been sent in. They have their FAFSA pin already as well, but can't release it yet (obviously). I sat and talked to the woman for 30 minutes. She was incredibly helpful. Potential students will be notified by email and phone once FAFSA code is made available.

See my answer above. They have federal identification number already.

I'd say it is, considering Fort Smith have a very large Vietnamese and Cuban presence (due to Vietnam & The Cuban Missle Crisis, little known fact ;) )

Seriously though, people in Arkansas are SO nice. It's unbelievable. They wave as you drive past them, and I always received a "sir/partner/etc." It's like the Canada of the south.
Are you sure about this? Not saying you are wrong, but North West Arkansas is has the largest population of Marshellese People form the Marshall Islands. The reason they are here is because the United States used their Island (The Bikini Island) to test their nuclear weapons, therefore the federal government awarded all Marshallese people free citizenship to the United States with Free Healthcare as well as millions awarded to the Marshall Islanders. I live in Northwest Arkansas and I haven't noticed many Vietnamese or Cuban people around here.

Interesting. Doesn't say anything about provisional accreditation not being eligible for FA though. Only pre-accreditation.
Read the Department of Education link I posted. I wasn't saying ACOM wouldn't be accredited, I was just deducing from the information I have been reading. It has to be an exception on COCAs side, because the Department of Education says it is okay to receive federal aid so long as the accrediting body deems the program fit for financial aid. COCA is the accrediting body.

As a non profit they are able to receive FA due to provisional accrededation. However, they are NOT approved for FA right now, and plan to approved in February. I see no reason to why they would not be approved, but the question is am I willing to pay a deposit before they are officially approved....?
They will be approved, but OK State > ARCOM if you get accepted ;). I love ARCOM, to be honest, I became pretty close to the Father and Son who opened this school. They are more helpful than you could ever imagine. They will hook you up with anything you need from information about anything or anyone, physicians to shadow in any area of the country (specifically DOs), or they even offered to pay for students to go to the annual osteopathic physician's convention held in Tennessee that year. They are very nice people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure about this? Not saying you are wrong, but North West Arkansas is has the largest population of Marshellese People form the Marshall Islands. The reason they are here is because the United States used their Island (The Bikini Island) to test their nuclear weapons, therefore the federal government awarded all Marshallese people free citizenship to the United States with Free Healthcare as well as millions awarded to the Marshall Islanders. I live in Northwest Arkansas and I haven't noticed many Vietnamese or Cuban people around here.

Read the Department of Education link I posted. I wasn't saying ACOM wouldn't be accredited, I was just deducing from the information I have been reading. It has to be an exception on COCAs side, because the Department of Education says it is okay to receive federal aid so long as the accrediting body deems the program fit for financial aid. COCA is the accrediting body.

That's what the faculty told us. This is what I found per Wikipedia: "The racial makeup of the city was 69.3% White, 9.0% Black or African American, 1.8% Native American, 5.3% Asian (2.2% Vietnamese, 1.7% Laotian, 0.3% Asian Indian, 0.2% Filipino, 0.1% Korean, 0.1% Chinese, 0.1% Hmong, 0.1% Pakistani)"

They will be approved, but OK State > ARCOM if you get accepted ;). I love ARCOM, to be honest, I became pretty close to the Father and Son who opened this school. They are more helpful than you could ever imagine. They will hook you up with anything you need from information about anything or anyone, physicians to shadow in any area of the country (specifically DOs), or they even offered to pay for students to go to the annual osteopathic physician's convention held in Tennessee that year. They are very nice people.
We were also told that ~200 Arkansas physicians have already signed up to provide clinical opportunities for students once MS3 rolls around for the first graduating class. The state is very excited about the program.

So to sum this all up, we know nothing more than when we started and we will be putting down our deposits with hopes that we were advised correctly. I too was told that FA will be available in 2/17, and other schools have had it available from the beginning, so I don't see any reason that it won't be.

Wow! Man I guess I forgot that from my interview last month lol. Or maybe they didn't go that much in detail with us. They are not playing with the movement there for sure. If any of you guys are from Arkansas (primarily Fort Smith area), how is the diversity there? Is it friendly for minorities? It kinda looked very rural and Ill be moving there with a school age child. Just wanna make sure I consider everything before I put down payments down.
Grown up in Fort Smith and can say it is a very minority friendly community (its friendly in general). Huge Laotian population, as well as Native American and Hispanic influences. Where the school is at is definitely more rural and is technically more Barling than Fort Smith. Since you have kids, Barling has a nice elementary program. If you live in Fort Smith near the school, you will be most likely in the Woods Elementary school district, and it is arguably one of the best if not the best public elementary school in the city. There are also a couple of private schools on that side of town too if that's more your style.

That's what the faculty told us. This is what I found per Wikipedia: "The racial makeup of the city was 69.3% White, 9.0% Black or African American, 1.8% Native American, 5.3% Asian (2.2% Vietnamese, 1.7% Laotian, 0.3% Asian Indian, 0.2% Filipino, 0.1% Korean, 0.1% Chinese, 0.1% Hmong, 0.1% Pakistani)"

Yes, I misread your post. My mistake. :)

We were also told that ~200 Arkansas physicians have already signed up to provide clinical opportunities for students once MS3 rolls around for the first graduating class. The state is very excited about the program.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshallese_Americans
"Marshallese Americans are Americans of Marshallese descent or a Marshallese naturalized in U.S. According to the 2010 census, 22,434 people of Marshallese origin live in the United States. This country has the largest population of Marshallese outside the Marshall Islands. Most of Marshallese live in Hawaii and Arkansas (mainly in Springdale, AR)."

So to sum this all up, we know nothing more than when we started and we will be putting down our deposits with hopes that we were advised correctly. I too was told that FA will be available in 2/17, and other schools have had it available from the beginning, so I don't see any reason that it won't be.

Huh? What else would you like them to tell you? They gave you a date and told me the FAFSA PIN and Institution Codes are ready to go.

Grown up in Fort Smith and can say it is a very minority friendly community (its friendly in general). Huge Laotian population, as well as Native American and Hispanic influences. Where the school is at is definitely more rural and is technically more Barling than Fort Smith. Since you have kids, Barling has a nice elementary program. If you live in Fort Smith near the school, you will be most likely in the Woods Elementary school district, and it is arguably one of the best if not the best public elementary school in the city. There are also a couple of private schools on that side of town too if that's more your style.

I'm not going to lie, I don't like the Fort Smith area. I don't want to talk negatively about it, but I definitely think it is one of the less desirable places to live within the realm of the other cities within an hours drive. It isn' terrible, but eh.

I was merely implying that the entire discussion accomplished nothing and that we all know exactly what we did when we started. If what the school told us is true, then we're good to go.

I'm not going to lie, I don't like the Fort Smith area. I don't want to talk negatively about it, but I definitely think it is one of the less desirable places to live within the realm of the other cities within an hours drive. It isn' terrible, but eh.

Did you go drive around downtown? It is actually pretty neat. It has a very retro 1950's vibe to it and has a lot of restaurants/stores/bars/etc . I agree that its not amazing, but it's not a hole either.

Have you been to Oklahoma? :sick::sick::sick::sick:

I was merely implying that the entire discussion accomplished nothing and that we all know exactly what we did when we started. If what the school told us is true, then we're good to go.

Ah, ok. Fair enough :)

I think negative Nancy needs a hug

Did you go drive around downtown? It is pretty neat. It has a very retro vibe to it and has a lot of restaraunts/stores/bars/etc . I agree that its not amazing, but it's not a hole either.

Have you been to Oklahoma? ***eek***

Yeah, I live near there. I have lived in Fayetteville, Rogers, Prairie Grove, and Forth Smith over the last 6 Years. I lived in Oklahoma for 18 years and just moved back for school. Lol. I am not disgracing Fort Smith, it's fairly nice, but if you want "retro" go to Fayetteville....lol

I think negative Nancy needs a hug

If you think I am being negative, then I feel you will find it hard to thrive in medicine. I am just conversing with my peers and giving my input on a place where I live and actively reside ;) take it or leave it, block me or don't. Up to you brother.

Yeah, I live near there. I have lived in Fayetteville, Rogers, Prairie Grove, and Forth Smith over the last 6 Years. I lived in Oklahoma for 18 years and just moved back for school. Lol. I am not disgracing Fort Smith, it's fairly nice, but if you want "retro" go to Fayetteville....lol

If you think I am being negative, then I feel you will find it hard to thrive in medicine. I am just conversing with my peers and giving my input on a place where I live and actively reside ;) take it or leave it, block me or don't. Up to you brother.

LOL I've been "thriving" in medicine for 11 years. I'll take Fort Smith any day over Little Rock, Tulsa, Kansas City, Jonesboro, or most other halfway close schools. To be a doctor, I'd spend 2 years in a ditch if I had to.

You can dislike Fort Smith, there's no issues with that! I just wasn't sure if you had seen the area. I will have to check out Fayetteville, though (If I get accepted and choose to attend). I've always wanted to experience an SEC tailgate ;)

Ima PM you

Did you go drive around downtown? It is actually pretty neat. It has a very retro 1950's vibe to it and has a lot of restaurants/stores/bars/etc . I agree that its not amazing, but it's not a hole either.

Have you been to Oklahoma? :sick::sick::sick::sick:

A "1950's" vibe in the rural south does not sound attractive to me what so ever lol

Well you must be strictly talking about driving an hour north! And in that case, anyone would love to be in the same city as the state university (except when they lose 56-3....). I'm no Fort Smith die hard, but I can see improvement and an effort to bring more youth to what used to be a city of 80,000 retired folks!

LOL I've been "thriving" in medicine for 11 years. I'll take Fort Smith any day over Little Rock, Tulsa, Kansas City, Jonesboro, or most other halfway close schools. To be a doctor, I'd spend 2 years in a ditch if I had to.

11 years? Yet, you are only just not going to medical school? Last I checked life doesn't run in reverse. No one said Fort Smith was a last ditch place to attend medical school. I do think it is funny that you say you'd take it over all of those other cities. I would be very interested in knowing why you say that, simply because I have lived in 3 of those Towns/Cities and been to Kansas City numerous times. Do you live in Forth Smith? Have you been there aside from Interviewing? What is it that makes Fort Smith a better place than Tulsa, KC, Jonesboro, Little Rock, and most other schools close by like KCU or A.T. Still?

You can dislike Fort Smith, there's no issues with that! I just wasn't sure if you had seen the area. I will have to check out Fayetteville, though (If I get accepted and choose to attend). I've always wanted to experience an SEC tailgate ;)

Definitely go to Fayetteville. Dickson Street is an amazing place to be on the weekend. They just had the annual "Bikes, Blues, and BBQ" which is I think the second biggest biker rally in the United States. It is definitely a free-spirited place and a very cultural place to visit.

Definitely go to Fayetteville. Dickson Street is an amazing place to be on the weekend. They just had the annual "Bikes, Blues, and BBQ" which is I think the second biggest biker rally in the United States. It is definitely a free-spirited place and a very cultural place to visit.

We had a guy in our group today talk about some week long bicycle event that occurs in Fayetteville. He said it was miserable to drive around for that entire week :laugh:

We had a guy in our group today talk about some week long bicycle event that occurs in Fayetteville. He said it was miserable to drive around for that entire week :laugh:

....Dear Lord, YES!, every time this happens I can barely stand to be around for it. Driving 15mph on a main road behind bikers who are spread across 4 lanes is just downright annoying. What is even more annoying is how the city of Fayetteville outspends 5:1 on WALKING TRAILS as opposed to road construction work! TRAILS EVERYWHERE! They have stop lights on main roads for trail walkers and bikers. Fayetteville is a VERY green and hip place to live. Believe me, it is welcoming to free spirits from all walks of life. It reminds of of the 1970s Woodstock crowd.

....Dear Lord, YES!, every time this happens I can barely stand to be around for it. Driving 15mph on a main road behind bikers who are spread across 4 lanes is just downright annoying. What is even more annoying is how the city of Fayetteville outspends 5:1 on WALKING TRAILS as opposed to road construction work! TRAILS EVERYWHERE! They have stop lights on main roads for trail walkers and bikers. Fayetteville is a VERY green and hip place to live. Believe me, it is welcoming to free spirits from all walks of life. It reminds of of the 1970s Woodstock crowd.
The food/music during that week is totally worth it though..

The only thing worse than the lack of parking is the cost of the parking (or the cost of getting the boot off of your car) :laugh:

11 years? Yet, you are only just not going to medical school? Last I checked life doesn't run in reverse. No one said Fort Smith was a last ditch place to attend medical school. I do think it is funny that you say you'd take it over all of those other cities. I would be very interested in knowing why you say that, simply because I have lived in 3 of those Towns/Cities and been to Kansas City numerous times. Do you live in Forth Smith? Have you been there aside from Interviewing? What is it that makes Fort Smith a better place than Tulsa, KC, Jonesboro, Little Rock, and most other schools close by like KCU or A.T. Still?

Yep, 11 years. It's hard to fit in many classes when you're working 168 hours every 2 weeks on an ambulance. I've been to Fort Smith multiple times for different things over the years. I really don't think I'd be comfortable in a big city setting, so that rules out a lot of the mentioned places. Kirksville would be okay. I've lived in Jonesboro for 32 years, and I really don't much care for the area. If you like flat land, rice fields, and mosquitoes, have at it. I'll agree that Fayetteville is nicer, and going to school in Fort Smith makes that an available option for a quick visit. Every place is going to have its drawbacks, but Fort Smith really isn't that bad in my eyes.

The food/music during that week is totally worth it though..

The only thing worse than the lack of parking is the cost of the parking (or the cost of getting the boot off of your car) :laugh:
Well, for anyone who plans on attending events in Fayetteville, go up the hill on Dickson Street and park in the large parking garage for free when the gates are opened up. If they are closed, then pull out a ticket and you can park there for 1.25 an hour or something like that.

Yep, 11 years. It's hard to fit in many classes when you're working 168 hours every 2 weeks on an ambulance. I've been to Fort Smith multiple times for different things over the years. I really don't think I'd be comfortable in a big city setting, so that rules out a lot of the mentioned places. Kirksville would be okay. I've lived in Jonesboro for 32 years, and I really don't much care for the area. If you like flat land, rice fields, and mosquitoes, have at it. I'll agree that Fayetteville is nicer, and going to school in Fort Smith makes that an available option for a quick visit. Every place is going to have its drawbacks, but Fort Smith really isn't that bad in my eyes.

That is why I like Tulsa. It is a bigger city, but it is spread out so much that it feels like a small city. You have the Blue Dome District, Cherry Street, Brookside, Riverside, etc. All of these places are spread apart and it gives for a large variation of food and culture. Also, the medical school is located right off of the highway I live on and it is located in a very low-yield traffic area. I hate the large city feeling, so I understand you there. I liked Fayetteville white I lived there. I am actually in Rogers right now. I still have a house over here.

Well, for anyone who plans on attending events in Fayetteville, go up the hill on Dickson Street and park in the large parking garage for free when the gates are opened up. If they are closed, then pull out a ticket and you can park there for 1.25 an hour or something like that.
True. And the parking lot by Grubs isn't too bad.

True. And the parking lot by Grubs isn't too bad.
Yup, Grubs Downtown, which is an amazing place to eat by the way. There is a restaurant called Hammontrees which is THE BEST grilled cheese restaurant in the WORLD. You have to eat there.

Yup, Grubs Downtown, which is an amazing place to eat by the way. There is a restaurant called Hammontrees which is THE BEST grilled cheese restaurant in the WORLD. You have to eat there.
I'll have to check it out! I'm a huge fan of The Farmer's Table Cafe to go along with the green, hipster vibe you talked about up there. I make a point to eat there every time I'm up there.

I'll have to check it out! I'm a huge fan of The Farmer's Table Cafe to go along with the green, hipster vibe you talked about up there. I make a point to eat there every time I'm up there.
Wow, Never heard of it. I will make note of it and eat it when I get back in a few days. I travel back and forth between Tulsa and Fayetteville/Rogers. Fayetteville definitely has some really good places to eat.

Wow, Never heard of it. I will make note of it and eat it when I get back in a few days. I travel back and forth between Tulsa and Fayetteville/Rogers. Fayetteville definitely has some really good places to eat.
It's kind of a hole in the wall, but it's an awesome place to grab breakfast or lunch at. Always something to try in NWA (and Tulsa), that's for sure!

That is why I like Tulsa. It is a bigger city, but it is spread out so much that it feels like a small city. You have the Blue Dome District, Cherry Street, Brookside, Riverside, etc. All of these places are spread apart and it gives for a large variation of food and culture. Also, the medical school is located right off of the highway I live on and it is located in a very low-yield traffic area. I hate the large city feeling, so I understand you there. I liked Fayetteville white I lived there. I am actually in Rogers right now. I still have a house over here.

I've never spent any time in Tulsa, so I might like it there. I've always enjoyed going to the Rogers/Springdale area. It gives me an excuse to spend way too much money at Lewis and Clark.

I'm learning so much about the ARCOM area from reading all of your comments :shy:

If they don't receive Federal loan ability.. We can all take out private loans! :bow:

Is anyone waitlisted? It seems like everyone here is either accepted or silently rejected.

FWIW, I was told they sent out the first batch of offers last week via snail mail. Look for them this week.

First batch of offers landed about a week ago and those accepted received calls as well. I know of one letter that was lost in the mail, but they still received an acceptance call.

First batch of offers landed about a week ago and those accepted received calls as well. I know of one letter that was lost in the mail, but they still received an acceptance call.

Gotcha. We were told not to expect a decision until around Thanksgiving.