Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've informed my family that I don't exist for the next 10 days. I think they took it rather well.

My BF left today to play some shows on the east coast and apologized for being gone during this time and I said "no, please go, really, it's best you don't see me like this."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I've informed my family that I don't exist for the next 10 days. I think they took it rather well.
See I graduate next Saturday and they’re all coming in Friday afternoon and they told me they expect my apartment will be beautiful and clean.

I told them to expect disappointment Bc if I had to strategically schedule in sleep during the next 9 days, I’m definitely not scheduling in cleaning!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
See I graduate next Saturday and they’re all coming in Friday afternoon and they told me they expect my apartment will be beautiful and clean.

I told them to expect disappointment Bc if I had to strategically schedule in sleep during the next 9 days, I’m definitely not scheduling in cleaning!
Take out the garbage, pick up any clothes(and hide them if your laundry basket is full Bc ain't no time to do laundry), call it good. (Unless there's a massive pile of sink dishes again then just throw those in the garbage because who needs dishes)

Thank you for the info! @Coopah @nyanko @Teepster87

I had emailed the mentor I wanted to work with and the STAR coordinator, but assumed they might be busy/to expect a delay in response. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear back from both! Fingers-crossed, her research is really suited to my background/interests/etc so I hope it works out.

Thank you for the info! @Coopah @nyanko @Teepster87

I had emailed the mentor I wanted to work with and the STAR coordinator, but assumed they might be busy/to expect a delay in response. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear back from both! Fingers-crossed, her research is really suited to my background/interests/etc so I hope it works out.
Oh yes! Who're you trying to work with? Best of luck! The mentors here are fantastic and love to work with students, I was surprised how enthusiastic they were to work with me too :D

I for one am dealing with finals quite well. By that I mean not at all. I'm in denial so deep I see pyramids. Also I remember vaguely writing a letter to future me. They told us it's when the class as a whole needs it and it varies from class to class. The second years still haven't gotten theirs yet so it really could take years :wideyed:

I for one am dealing with finals quite well. By that I mean not at all. I'm in denial so deep I see pyramids. Also I remember vaguely writing a letter to future me. They told us it's when the class as a whole needs it and it varies from class to class. The second years still haven't gotten theirs yet so it really could take years :wideyed:
When my anxiety is really high, I can’t sleep. Aka I haven’t been sleeping well these last couple weeks. So I planned a block schedule between now and next Friday so I force myself to sleep, but tonight’s been the worst. I took some NyQuil to help my congestion/ help me sleep, and guess who isn’t able to sleep, but has to be up in 5 1/2 hours?

:hello:

When my anxiety is really high, I can’t sleep. Aka I haven’t been sleeping well these last couple weeks. So I planned a block schedule between now and next Friday so I force myself to sleep, but tonight’s been the worst. I took some NyQuil to help my congestion/ help me sleep, and guess who isn’t able to sleep, but has to be up in 5 1/2 hours?

:hello:
Ayyyy I can't sleep either. (But not from anxiety, from back, sad times)
What is sleep

Take out the garbage, pick up any clothes(and hide them if your laundry basket is full Bc ain't no time to do laundry), call it good. (Unless there's a massive pile of sink dishes again then just throw those in the garbage because who needs dishes)

My dad has commented before how i always seem to have the dishwasher running any time they come over. Well duh. And when I was in undergrad they showed up to visit for the afternoon earlier than they told me so I stashed two bags of trash I didn't have time to run down to the dumpster in my shower...and mom found it and commented on it. But like hey, at least I'm trying. Once I graduated vet school and they weren't financially contributing to my living arrangements anymore they've gotten better about keeping their comments to themselves. Now when they come visit, if I have to work mom just says 'I'm going to clean while you're gone' and skips the lecture for the most part. I guess after 28 years of a messy room/house they've finally realized that I'm never going to be the best housekeeper.

Reactions: 6 users
My dad has commented before how i always seem to have the dishwasher running any time they come over. Well duh. And when I was in undergrad they showed up to visit for the afternoon earlier than they told me so I stashed two bags of trash I didn't have time to run down to the dumpster in my shower...and mom found it and commented on it. But like hey, at least I'm trying. Once I graduated vet school and they weren't financially contributing to my living arrangements anymore they've gotten better about keeping their comments to themselves. Now when they come visit, if I have to work mom just says 'I'm going to clean while you're gone' and skips the lecture for the most part. I guess after 28 years of a messy room/house they've finally realized that I'm never going to be the best housekeeper.

When my mom lived in MI, she would stay at my house when I went out of town to pet sit for us. I used to feel like I needed to clean for a week before she would come and it would stress me out so much.

I'm in process of planning where to have my dog euthanized and I've had some clinicians offer to come to my house when it's time and you can believe the thought of "oh crap, but then I'd have to clean" crossed my mind even though I know they have our best interest in mind and wouldn't care. It's not like our house is ever trashed, it's just feeling like it has to be spotless. It's frustrating that it's so ingrained in my brain!

When I was in my car accident, I wasn’t planning on them coming up (they flew up) and my apartment was a mess. I was hurt and all and I was still cleaning a little because I knew they would complain.

When my mom lived in MI, she would stay at my house when I went out of town to pet sit for us. I used to feel like I needed to clean for a week before she would come and it would stress me out so much.

I'm in process of planning where to have my dog euthanized and I've had some clinicians offer to come to my house when it's time and you can believe the thought of "oh crap, but then I'd have to clean" crossed my mind even though I know they have our best interest in mind and wouldn't care. It's not like our house is ever trashed, it's just feeling like it has to be spotless. It's frustrating that it's so ingrained in my brain!
Sending good thoughts to you ... very sorry about your dog. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So I haven't been on here in forever because this semester just had so much going on with moving, starting school, and other life stuff hitting the fan! After a rough start to the semester, it's crazy that the end of the semester is already here!! I had 4 finals this week and have 5 more to go, so of course I decided to take a break and checkout what's going on here. Also just wanted to say good luck to everyone! We're almost 1/8th of a vet! :)

So I haven't been on here in forever because this semester just had so much going on with moving, starting school, and other life stuff hitting the fan! After a rough start to the semester, it's crazy that the end of the semester is already here!! I had 4 finals this week and have 5 more to go, so of course I decided to take a break and checkout what's going on here. Also just wanted to say good luck to everyone! We're almost 1/8th of a vet! :)
How do you have so many?? Last year I had 5 total, not counting the 3D Imaging final since it was take home. Is there a clinical skills final?

When my mom came to visit last year the weekend after NAVLE, she cleaned my whole house and did 14 loads of laundry...

Reactions: 4 users
Last day of school today! 2 tests down... 2 quizzes down.. Only 6 more finals to go for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Last day of classes for us, but 4 finals next week. Has anyone seen my motivation?

Reactions: 5 users
This is my third time being sick since my horse came down here... Is this a sign? Also procrastinating studying for my immunology class yet again

Reactions: 1 user
A year ago yesterday I received my first of four rejections. So much changes over a year...
A year ago yesterday I was armpit deep in a cow. Yesterday I was armpit deep in a horse.

So much has changed. :p

(In all seriousness my life has been completely flipped upside down in a 100 different ways in the past year)

Me looking at the c/o 2022 hopefuls thread:

lion-5.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Me looking at the c/o 2022 hopefuls thread:

lion-5.gif

I've posted this a few times to people who say "I can't wait to get to vet school..."

So fun story - one of our professors is always taking high school students on tours through the anatomy facilities and the DVM program only spaces (so our first year cubes), but he has such a knack for taking them through at the most inopportune moments possible. Before Thanksgiving he brought them through the cubes literally ten minutes before one of the hardest phys exams of the semester and all they saw was 130 vet students actively panicking while we tried to shove more information into our heads. Before they left our cube one of my classmates looked at them and said "Don't do it!" :laugh:

I mean, I'm happier being in vet school than being an applicant again. But the golden window was after getting an acceptance but before starting school. Can I just go back to that and make it last much longer? :laugh:

Reactions: 8 users
I realize I'm probably in the minority here but I'm much happier now than I was back then. Most of you know why, but I'm just incredibly happy to be here and surrounded by such incredible people.

Reactions: 14 users
I was working a year ago. I'm working still, but much less stressed about my day to day decisions and in a much nicer groove. ;) life is good.

I actually like vet school a lot. I mean hell yeah it’s hard but my classmates are cool people and the faculty here are incredible. N=1 semester so maybe I’ll grow to hate it but life is pretty good right now. (And for the days that suck, I have a very snuggly kitten).

Can honestly say that I am loads happier now than I was a year ago. Love my class and actually feel like I know what I am doing. Proof to me that attitude is definitely half the battle.

+1 for the happier crowd. Research was killing my soul. Vet med has restored it, and I have enjoyed 3rd year for sure as all that craziness from 1 and 2 year comes together for systems based medicine.

+1 for the happier crowd. Research was killing my soul. Vet med has restored it, and I have enjoyed 3rd year for sure as all that craziness from 1 and 2 year comes together for systems based medicine.
Meanwhile my research (or the fact that I'm finally starting next semester) is keeping me going while I'm trying to study for this immuno course. When 2/3s of the class consistently drops, you know there's a problem

Reactions: 1 user
You know, I think I’m overall happier than before, but it’s still crazy. I do enjoy vet school though- I have lovely group of friends who make it better. Plus I just love how supportive everyone at the school is- especially one of our professors. She comes up and talks to us and is genuinely interested to hear how I’m doing. It’s a crazy feeling that that many people care... :oops:

You know, I think I’m overall happier than before, but it’s still crazy. I do enjoy vet school though- I have lovely group of friends who make it better. Plus I just love how supportive everyone at the school is- especially one of our professors. She comes up and talks to us and is genuinely interested to hear how I’m doing. It’s a crazy feeling that that many people care... :oops:
This expresses how I feel. It just amazes me the number of people, from faculty to students in other years, who genuinely care how we are doing. I also feel very lucky that I have a great group of friends. Overall, I'm very happy with my decision to pursue this crazy dream.
Although I am SO happy my last final was Friday and we have almost 4 weeks for a break.

I'm in basically the same place. :p Last Christmas I was excited for my vet school interview and had just left my clinic job, now I'm waiting to hear about a grad school interview and I just started a new clinic job.

Reactions: 3 users
New clinic job??????????????
Yes! I'm still at the diagnostic lab, but I left my job with Wednesday girl and took a PT reception position in a SA clinic. It's nice to be back in a clinic, and reception is much less stress than being an assistant. :p

Yes! I'm still at the diagnostic lab, but I left my job with Wednesday girl and took a PT reception position in a SA clinic. It's nice to be back in a clinic, and reception is much less stress than being an assistant. :p
Annnnnnnd....a good portion of the time you actually get to leave on time when your shift is over working reception ;)