Duke-NUS GMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received the acceptance letter yesterday. My CAP is really not good, while the MCAT score might help me a bit (>35). Besides, I've got quite a bit research experience. Looking forward to meet everyone of you in the GMS.

Congratulations Pi51. Wow your MCAT score is really fantastic. Are you from NUS as well? Looking forward to meeting you when school opens=)

Members don't see this ad.

got the reply I want...so i delete the post

Yes, ting2, I am from NUS too, though not a fresh grad of this year. Very glad to have you as school mates again. Btw, your blog is very helpful for me in preparing the interview. Many thanks here. See you in 3 months :)

Congratulations Pi51. Wow your MCAT score is really fantastic. Are you from NUS as well? Looking forward to meeting you when school opens=)

@abcbaby, your profile looks really strong. From my own experience, the school has a great emphasis on research experience. But that applies only to my case; of coz, there are fresh grads getting admitted to the school as well. As for the area to improve, if you still have the courage to go through the painful MCAT again, wish you could do better on your verbal. Besides, one pub will certainly helps a lot in this case. Good Luck! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, ting2, I am from NUS too, though not a fresh grad of this year. Very glad to have you as school mates again. Btw, your blog is very helpful for me in preparing the interview. Many thanks here. See you in 3 months :)

I probably shouldn't have posted it up.. if i knew the interviews/essays were going to be exactly the same.. but glad you got in=)

Hi All. Relatively knew to this forum, been reading all the past post for this thread. Congrats to those who have received acceptance. Is anyone from US? All this waiting is killing me. Sigh*

hey guys!!!!!!!!
i just got my acceptance letter today!!
i'm sooooo excited..
i still cant believe it...i mean its such an awsome place 2 be in...

all the best 2 all u guys waiting 4 ur acceptances....i hope all ur hard work pays...
and i'm so looking forward 2 seeing all u guys who've been accepted!!
yayyyy!!

congrats undomiel on your acceptance! Are you from the US ?

Hi Undomiel,

Congrats! I knew you will do fine=)

Hey guys! Congrats! any news of their financial aid yet for any of u? i still dun understand their process, do they accept all our docs including financial aid and then release the results with the financial aid? Or will the aid info come out much later?

nope..there's nothing bout the financial aid along with the acceptance letters...
just some forms 2 fill and send to confirm that we're accepting the admission..

the financial aid details, if any, will be sent by May..thats wat they've written in the letters...

hey ting2..
thanx soo much...
u've really helped me by giving me gr8 advice and tips throughout..
c ya in Singapore...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Congrats! any news of their financial aid yet for any of u? i still dun understand their process, do they accept all our docs including financial aid and then release the results with the financial aid? Or will the aid info come out much later?

as far as i know, the decision for financial aid will be out with the acceptance letters. but it is better to email them directly to ask about the outcome=)

how much do u sell the two examcrackers?

Hi everyone. I received my acceptance in the mail yesterday. I am from the U.S. Although everything about this program and Singapore sounds absolutely phenomenal, I can't say I'm 100% sure. I know many of you must be thinking, is he serious, what is there to think about. I know Singapore is more medically advanced than the U.S., stem cell research is main stream, the city-state is just as hip as NYC and you can still go out at 2 am without the fear of someone trying to rob you. But in the long run, if my intentions are to practice in the U.S., how will it really work out for me? Dr. Kamei has said again and again that this will not be viewed much differently than U.S. MD programs and the name Duke is music to medical ears. But seeing how this is such a new program, and it is on foreign ground.......Do you see where I am getting at? Can anyone help me out? I would LOVE to go to Duke-NUS but with my concerns stated above, do I stick with a school in the U.S. though it may not be as renowned and cool as Duke? Or do I take the chance with something that may very well be the next greatest medical institution in the world but is too soon to tell.

mdude3, if you're so hesitant about the newness of the program, why in the world did you apply in the first place?? I don't get it, did you think it was fun to take someone else's position in the program? If you intend to practice in the US... STICK TO US SCHOOLS. Duuuuuuh, then you wouldn't be in this dilemma. They made it very clear that there is a 5 yr commitment plus 4 yrs of school and a year of internship, so umm, you do the math... oh yeah, 10++ years spent in Singapore. So what are you asking from us? To tell you, oh yeah mdude, totally live in Singapore, yeah! Or "no mdude, Singapore sucks, don't come here!" Make the decision yourself and stop whining.

Hi everyone. I received my acceptance in the mail yesterday. I am from the U.S. Although everything about this program and Singapore sounds absolutely phenomenal, I can't say I'm 100% sure. I know many of you must be thinking, is he serious, what is there to think about. I know Singapore is more medically advanced than the U.S., stem cell research is main stream, the city-state is just as hip as NYC and you can still go out at 2 am without the fear of someone trying to rob you. But in the long run, if my intentions are to practice in the U.S., how will it really work out for me? Dr. Kamei has said again and again that this will not be viewed much differently than U.S. MD programs and the name Duke is music to medical ears. But seeing how this is such a new program, and it is on foreign ground.......Do you see where I am getting at? Can anyone help me out? I would LOVE to go to Duke-NUS but with my concerns stated above, do I stick with a school in the U.S. though it may not be as renowned and cool as Duke? Or do I take the chance with something that may very well be the next greatest medical institution in the world but is too soon to tell.

Hey, mdude3. I understand the situation that you are in right now. I must say that to a certain extent I agree with mumu112 in that the decision is in your own hands. If your goal is to go back to the US, then it may be wiser to not join this program. However, if you are considering on a career in medicine in Asia Pacific, then this is the program for you. The good thing about this program is that it does not close the door for us who want to practice medicine in the US. So, even if you join this program, you might still end up practicing in the US, although the road to get there may be more troublesome than if you were to go to medschool in the US. My advice to you is that you should make a decision with a clear purpose in mind.

Oh, and congratulations to you on your acceptance. :) Congrats to the rest of you who have been accepted. I'm still anxiously waiting.

I am totally sympathetic to mdude3. I haven't gotten acceptance yet but in case I do, we should ask Dr. Kamei several things such as the possibility of doing residency in the US then coming back to Singapore to fulfill the bond commitment (I think he mentioned during the interview that the Singapore Ministry of Health is willing to consider this on a case by case basis. One reason to grant this request is that your family is in the US. Another is that the residency you want is not set up in Singapore or is in such a field that the Singapore government wants this technology to be imported into Singapore).We should ask to get a more definite answer because this is something that is very important to US applicants who got accepted. Please post anything you learnt about this in this forum and thank you very much!

For those of you evaluating studying in Singapore (bcos of the Duke name)and spending the best 10 years of your life there ... here is some food for thought-

US is considered the most open democracy of the world, Singapore has often been criticised for repressing its freedom of speech.

Infectious diseases would be a large component of practise because of the tropical climate which can be very different from what you will expect in the US.

Doctors are held in position of authority in the most Asian countries and hardly questioned, unlike the very gregarious society active in litigations in the US.

The networking you will have developed in the best years of your life here will be of almost no use in the US.

The Duke name will give you the competitive advantage in research, but in practise, the cultural impact will far outweigh.

""One reason to grant this request is that your family is in the US. Another is that the residency you want is not set up in Singapore or is in such a field that the Singapore government wants this technology to be imported into Singapore)"".

Based on what mdude 3 and mcc5 have to say, I feel GMS and Govt of Singapore would probably do better to have students for whom GMS is the first choice; who are interested in being and contributing to Singapore rather than ones for whom this is a bail out option, waiting to escape back to the US at the merest pretext!

I guess people from the U.S. do want to contribute to Singapore but imagine being away from your home country for the best ten years of life, without seeing you parents, relatives and friends is a little harsh. Also Pigchime commented on the lack of freedom in Singapore. I heard things are controlled a lot by the government in Singapore and junior doctors are given much less autonomy than their counterparts in the U.S. Can someone from Singapore (e.g. Ting2 or Pi51) comment on this?

Well the aim of Duke-NUS GMS is to produce a new breed of physician-scientists who can contribute as clinical researchers with medical knowledge and helping to translate medical research into the clinical setting.

If you are interested in this programme, you should acknowledge that you have to spend the next 10 yrs of your life in Singapore and adapt to it. I'm sure you will miss your friends back home but sometimes spending a few years abroad can be a very good learning experience as well.

I am not so sure about the lack of autonomy.. but as junior doctors we should spend some time listening to senior doctors in order to gain more experience, don't you think?

to mdude3:

Firstly congrats!!

It is not wise to make a decision just based on the name of the school. Personally, I think US is still way more advanced in medical researches than Singapore. Also as in any Asian country, the sense of hierarchy is surely very strong in Singapore. Of course there are lots of good things about Singapore and the new school, especially the huge support and input from the government in developing Singapore into a biomedical hub (probably lots of opportunities for us).

Also, if you take the GMS, you seriously need to prepare to stay in Singapore for the next 10 years and also the possibility of staying here for the rest of your life. If you want to explore the world a bit, it is a very good chance. But if you just want to get a decent MD and a stable life, it is better to stay in the US.

Wow, it looks as though I have conjured a storm of hostility on this forum. Firstly, mumu, I simply stated my concerns and I am sure there are people on a wait list or a hold list who would be offered my spot if I turn them down. So I'm not taking anyone's spot. This is supposed to be a support forum not the jackass convention.

I have always liked Duke. They have a very unique curriculum that I wish other med schools in the U.S. would adapt because it cuts down on the years of core courses and allows students to engage in clinical rotations early on. While doing research during 3rd year you also get the ENTIRE YEAR to study for the boards. Which is so amazing and easily a reason why Duke's board scores are so incredibly high. So it's not just about the name. Then again there is a reason Duke is a name, because of their strong curriculum and caliber of students.

However, going down the Duke-NUS route and my desire to settle and practice in the U.S. in the LONG RUN, I simply wanted to investigate the end result and how it would work out for me. I have no problem spending 10 years in Singapore. It would be an amazing experience.

I just want the assurance of being able to do my residency in the U.S. such that it would not impact my long term career goals. Because if I do my residency in Singapore, it would set me back in the U.S. But not the other way around. So on that note, I wanted to know with full confidence that I can secure a way to do residency in the U.S. and with the Duke name, hopefully it would help me get into the more selective residency programs in the U.S. Afterwards, I can spend several years in Singapore to pay off the bond and then some. Maybe I might apply for dual citizenship such that I can practice in the U.S. and Singapore. But, the whole case by case basis thing of determining whether students would be allowed to do their residency in the U.S. is what scares me. Then again, if anyone is going to get the opportunity to do that, it should and likely would be U.S. citizens. Just makes more sense.

So my concern is regarding being able to my residency in the U.S., being able to get into competitive residency programs with the Duke-NUS name, and not face issues that foreign graduates normally do in the U.S.. It's difficult to chew on because yes it's a U.S. MD degree, yes it's DUKE, but the school is on foreign ground. Although Duke and Duke-NUS faculty and administration endorse the degree from Duke-NUS to be just as valid and prestigious in the U.S. as an MD from Duke in the U.S., how will the rest of the U.S. view it? I just want to be assured of these things. Once I am satisfied with the answers, then I can make the right decision.

I remember Dr. K saying during the whole interview process that because Duke NUS is still considered an international medical school in the eyes of the US that it would be harder to get into the 'best' residency programs in the US. This is simply because they'd rather take a chance on a US trained candidate than an internationally trained one. There is also the problem of recognition of training, which was a question that came up. Dr. K said that the US might not necessarily recognize the residency training done offshore, so even if you do end up training in Singapore, when and if you decide to return to the US, you will have to endure another residency before become a full fledge doctor in whatever specialty you choose.

Also, you would have to go through a whole separate lengthy pathway (I'm not sure about the details) to be able to even apply for residency in the US. Either way, your future career goals to practice in the US will be setback if you do decide to attend Duke NUS. This is not to say that you might go to Singapore and decide to not come to the US at all.

I also agree with pigchime, re-establishing a medical network is a real b*tch. Last of all, I'm afraid that with a situation like this, there's not much of an assurance. The school is funded with government money, therefore, you serve the government's interest. If you are going to train in the US solely for the purpose of leaving SG behind after you've taken what you can from it, I don't think the ministry of health will be lax in allowing any one of it's investments slip through the net if you know what I mean. People don't just invest billions of dollars into a project without thinking about the returns. It's a commitment to Singapore not just to your medical career at this point. I myself plan the settle there if and when I get an acceptance.

Sorry, but I agree with mumu and blackdove. You should have researched it more before you decided to apply. Furthermore, Dr. K. made this all clear during the interview process. You should know what you want by now and not be dilly dallying. If you are deliberating at this point in the game, it's probably not the right school for your ambitions. If you cannot relinquish the Duke name, if I were you, I'd wait a year and apply to Duke directly.

BTW, the US doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Decisions, decisions. Best of luck.

I think mikkey1818 has a point but it is also the goal of Duke-Nus to attract talented candidates from the U.S., considering its affiliation with Duke. I think the school doesn't want US applicants who cannot get into a U.S. school and have to go overseas as a backup option. If the school wants to attract the most talented candidates and compete with U.S. schools, it has to make sure that the terms it sets are palatable to those who also have an option to go to a U.S. school. This is why Dr. Kamei repeatedly mentions the "case by case consideration" and "the door is wide open for those who want to come back to US for residency" instead of saying frankly that "the interest of the Singapore government should be placed before your own ambitions". The bond is fair game but the school should also take the interests of its applicants into consideration at least a little bit, if it wants to attract the best talent. It is like the situation between Duke and Singapore - both sides benefit from the coalition - Singapore gets heavy faculty support from Duke while Duke establishes its presence overseas. The bottom line is that a deal can only be struck when both sides benefit. It is analogous to the situation of a U.S. student considering to attend Duke-NUS, when he/she has an option to go to a U.S. school. When Duke-NUS makes the terms too harsh, it is going to lose out on some of its best students and it is the students that make a school great

What mcc5 and mikey said does have a point. Since most poeple said things which are bad, I shall say something good to make your decision making even harder. haha....

However, I believe you are now facing the dilemma of wanting the Duke curriculum yet worried about your prospects back in US. Then it is time to weigh your priorities. I do not think there is anything wrong with thinking carefully through your options. One wrong move can set you back many years and we are not exactly immortal...

I went for the interview yesterday (late MCATers), I think if the Duke curriculum is so attractive to you, you should seriously consider coming since the GMS get their materials from Duke University and follow their curriculum quite closely.

To me, being a doctor anywhere is about the same. You may be taking a path less taken and who knows, it may lead to unexpected gains. It all depends on whether you can endure the next 10 years on foreign soil. Yes, you will probably miss your friends and family back home, but it is also an opportunity to make new friends and network, work with people from a different cultural background.

Cheers

mdude3, Congrats on getting in. Pertaining to US residency (if I were you) I wouldn't be as concerned with the fact that Duke-NUS is foreign school but rather that it is a new school. So, though it carries some of the Duke prestige it has not established a long record of quality students yet (though I have full faith that it will in the future). In a way you have to be one of the first to pioneer the Singapore-US residency relationship - A daunting task.

Looking at it from US programs accepting you, Duke-NUS may carry a slight stigma (being international and new). But it is my belief (maybe childishly) that these programs would choose a high caliber student from Duke-NUS than a low caliber student from US. In other words, if you choose to come to Duke-NUS you've got to be one of the best, get a good medical social network, do well on the boards, and interview well - of course. Here is the question: do you think Duke-NUS will help you accomplish the aforementioned aspects?

I agree with others that Singapore has made an investment in you and expects profit/return. So going overseas for residency could be a potential problem. However, I believe this is a minor issue that can be dealt with. When/if you make your case to go to US for residency you wouldn't say in the long run I'm planning to practice in America (I know you're just being frank to us); you would say something to the degree of bettering yourself in an US residency so that you can bring your knowledge/expertise back to Singapore. And you wouldn't be lying because you'd have a 5 years bond to do so. You can spin your story various other ways.

Ultimately, you have to do what's best for you. If you find a US med school that will help you better in the long-run than Duke-NUS then do that. Don't worry about how others intend to stay in Singapore for the rest of their lives or filling up a spot. After all a 5 year bond is not a small time (people don't read too heavily into my statement, this program looks awesome and 5 years in Singapore would be a lot of fun). And I think the worse thing about being wait-listed isn't knowing that your slot is being filled up by someone who fits the program less than you, but rather waiting in limbo for a reply - one way or the other. So for those people I ask you to make your decision soon (if possible).

Hope this long rant was helpful, if not I am sorry. At least some of the angered response are going to come after me now. Bye.

Guys, Grow Up! Look and think beyond the bond and explicitly stated...

As a doctor, you will have to relate to patients (and the society at large) and therefore you must have an understanding of the culture which is so very different (I am not saying worse or better).

The next thing is to be able to leverage this experience (which i am sure can be good with some positive thinking) in the US... where the framework of practise is very different (again, not worse or better!).

There is plenty to read on the differences in the public domain and SDN itself.. keep looking and make well informed decisions guys, bcos 10 years is certainly lonnngg..

As of now we have news of acceptance of only 4 SDNers (ting2, Pi51, mdude3 and Undomiel) this year? and they are still interviewing?

Dear forummer,

Mas Selamat (a J.I terrorist leader) is on the loose in Singapore. If you want to come to singapore, please be careful as he is targetting your race (not necessarily you). *not meant to be a racist comment but to remind you that our country is not that safe as it might seemed to be*;)

I am planning to enter a medical school in the USA and you are coming to my country instead. To experience Asian culture? :hardy:

Wow, it looks as though I have conjured a storm of hostility on this forum. Firstly, mumu, I simply stated my concerns and I am sure there are people on a wait list or a hold list who would be offered my spot if I turn them down. So I'm not taking anyone's spot. This is supposed to be a support forum not the jackass convention.

I have always liked Duke. They have a very unique curriculum that I wish other med schools in the U.S. would adapt because it cuts down on the years of core courses and allows students to engage in clinical rotations early on. While doing research during 3rd year you also get the ENTIRE YEAR to study for the boards. Which is so amazing and easily a reason why Duke's board scores are so incredibly high. So it's not just about the name. Then again there is a reason Duke is a name, because of their strong curriculum and caliber of students.

However, going down the Duke-NUS route and my desire to settle and practice in the U.S. in the LONG RUN, I simply wanted to investigate the end result and how it would work out for me. I have no problem spending 10 years in Singapore. It would be an amazing experience.

I just want the assurance of being able to do my residency in the U.S. such that it would not impact my long term career goals. Because if I do my residency in Singapore, it would set me back in the U.S. But not the other way around. So on that note, I wanted to know with full confidence that I can secure a way to do residency in the U.S. and with the Duke name, hopefully it would help me get into the more selective residency programs in the U.S. Afterwards, I can spend several years in Singapore to pay off the bond and then some. Maybe I might apply for dual citizenship such that I can practice in the U.S. and Singapore. But, the whole case by case basis thing of determining whether students would be allowed to do their residency in the U.S. is what scares me. Then again, if anyone is going to get the opportunity to do that, it should and likely would be U.S. citizens. Just makes more sense.

So my concern is regarding being able to my residency in the U.S., being able to get into competitive residency programs with the Duke-NUS name, and not face issues that foreign graduates normally do in the U.S.. It's difficult to chew on because yes it's a U.S. MD degree, yes it's DUKE, but the school is on foreign ground. Although Duke and Duke-NUS faculty and administration endorse the degree from Duke-NUS to be just as valid and prestigious in the U.S. as an MD from Duke in the U.S., how will the rest of the U.S. view it? I just want to be assured of these things. Once I am satisfied with the answers, then I can make the right decision.

Please don't be too naive thinking that singapore is 100% safe from crimes. I am not going to elaborate much further into details as this is going to be off-topic. PM me if you want to know more about Singapore as i am so sick to live in singapore and worst still, a citizen somemore....:sleep:

Dear forummer,

Mas Selamat (a J.I terrorist leader) is on the loose in Singapore. If you want to come to singapore, please be careful as he is targetting your race (not necessarily you). *not meant to be a racist comment but to remind you that our country is not that safe as it might seemed to be*;)

I am planning to enter a medical school in the USA and you are coming to my country instead. To experience Asian culture? :hardy:

Wow, nimbus, those are terrible things to say even if you hate Singapore. FYI, not all Americans are white. They may be Asian American (gasp, they'd look like you!). Singapore is definitely a lot safer than most places in the US. Selamat's escape is terribly unfortunate but with increased vigilance from the Singapore police, let's hope he will be caught soon. Good luck with your application to US med schools.

Anyways, for US citizens considering Duke-NUS GMS, I'd say definitely consider everything that has been said thus far. Foreign doctors work in the US all the time though so if you are a successful researcher/physician, I'd imagine there'd be no problem going back to the US and working there in a competitive specialty. You will just have to perform really well.

So thus far there appear to be more cons than pros to my idea of enrolling at Duke-NUS. I had really hoped the opposite. I already know the culture in the U.S. and practicing in a different country for a few years would perhaps give me a new perspective and an advantage back home. Yes the U.S. is extremely advanced in research but under the current administration, not enough funding goes to biomedical research, especially stem cells because it is considered "immoral." And I know that in Singapore it is the hottest research endevaor, I know Dr. Coleman is there working on a project to use stem cells to treat Type 2 diabetes. These individuals are flooding to Singapore because of this new initiative to advance biomedical endeavors and the government's fully fledged support, something the U.S. does not seem to fully embrace yet.

I still think it would be a nice "get away" for a while. The rest of you who have never been to the U.S. and only know what you may hear in the media, well after living there for a few years perhaps you will come to know things that need major corrections. Yet trivial affairs instead get billions of dollars in funding. Did you know 45 million people in the U.S. do not have or can't afford health care? 13 million of whom are children? Not being able to afford it or not qualifying for it is actually the major reason for deaths in the U.S. than any single disease. Many who have insurance can't afford the co-payments and a heart attack or stroke later, such individuals end up bankrupt.. Insurance companies control health care not the government, and they can currently do whatever they want, turn down whoever they want. Health care can't be completely privatized because still a relatively high number of population is unemployed or does not get health benefits from their employer. Most are obese from being able to afford only cheap and fast food and then they get diabetes and cardiovascular problems and don't have the money or insurance to get help. Medicine is tooo legalized here. Although I do still want to practice in the U.S. in the long run, the fact that doctors especially in certain specialties like OBGYN, have to live in fear in the U.S. Trial lawyers and ambulance chasers as they are called like to find any reason to file law suits.

My reason for applying to Duke-NUS was fairly valid and simple. Getting the same medial education of one of US's best med schools and getting a different perspective of health care especially in a country that is so ambitious in it's effort to be the best in every way. I think the WHO ranked Singapore as #1 in health care and the US ranks as number 33. Perhaps I should have made all this clear in my initial email but then I probably wouldn't have gotten honest responses and mostly just responses from yes-men/women.

I'm sorry for those on the wait-list who are encouraging me to make a decision quickly. Certain U.S. schools on non-rolling admission have yet to release acceptances and other schools to which I have recently interviewed have also not gotten back to me. So once I have all my options in front of me, I can make the best decision for myself, my goals, my career. I am actually planning on visiting Singapore in the next month to visit the school and tour the country. If things don't check out and if indeed it turns out that I should just stay in the U.S., then I will let you all know and someone can expect to get a letter/call from Dr. Kamei about an open spot.

man, talk about preaching to the choir. I'm so done with that topic. Good luck to you mdude. Anyone else got any news from the school?

Oh my god, blah blah blah a whole essay regarding the health care system in the US. You have a lot of time on your hands don't you? Maybe you should use that spare time wisely and research the different schools that you've applied to instead of flaming random people on the forum with a billion-word essay. Just so you know, I didn't bother reading through the whole thing... I just read "self-righteous rant omg US obese omg rantrantrant stating the obvious laser guns pewpewpew!"

I hope you decide not to go... I would so hate to be your classmate. *Eww*

LOLOLOLOL "laserguns pewpewpew." that was fresh. Total comic relief. I heart you mumu

mdude3 - don't heed them. I think part of the reason you got in is that you have a good grasp of the health care situation (this may impress the interviewers) and I appreciate your sharing it with us. If you learn anything about the US residency option from GMS, please share it with us. Also tell us how you trip to Singapore goes and your final decision. Take your time

Wow, nimbus, those are terrible things to say even if you hate Singapore. FYI, not all Americans are white. They may be Asian American (gasp, they'd look like you!). Singapore is definitely a lot safer than most places in the US. Selamat's escape is terribly unfortunate but with increased vigilance from the Singapore police, let's hope he will be caught soon. Good luck with your application to US med schools.

Anyways, for US citizens considering Duke-NUS GMS, I'd say definitely consider everything that has been said thus far. Foreign doctors work in the US all the time though so if you are a successful researcher/physician, I'd imagine there'd be no problem going back to the US and working there in a competitive specialty. You will just have to perform really well.

I don't hate Singapore, but i feel bored here.

Hello. I received an acceptance and mailed back my decision to go. Has anyone else from the US/Canada received an acceptance and is actually planning on going?

Is there anyone here who has received an acceptance and also attended Applicant Interview Day on January 5th in Durham, NC?

The waiting game has just ended for me too. I received the acceptance letter and the financial aid kit by mail yesterday. I decided to take the offer. So, I hope to see some of you later in August. For those who are still waiting, I wish you the best of luck.

Hello all, what are your opinions of how the GMS MD graduates will be
integrated into the Singapore healthcare system?

This is the first time that Singapore is going to have a consistent stream of MD graduates coming into the system. Traditionally, Singapore has always followed the MBBS system. The MD graduates will be generally 4-5 years older (or even more for people who have post-bachelor degree working experience) than the MBBS graduates. Given the competitive nature of specialist training places especially for popular disciplines, with all things being equal, will younger applicants for specialist places have an advantage? (There used to be an age limit on applicants that they have just removed)

The website states that GMS graduates will serve their bond with
MOH or ASTAR. But there isn't any healthcare institutions under ASTAR. Does it mean that it is possible that graduates may be posted to work in a research institution after graduation and may not have the chance to further their experience and exposure 100% in clinical work after graduation? For those who have gone through the interview, did they mention anything about this bond?

Would be interested to hear your take on these matters.

White99, I was at the Jan 5 interview at Duke in NC. Which one of the candidates were you? Which team were you on during the mock session?

PeaceSoars. If Singapore wants to integrate a US based medical system, they have to allow for the changes that come with it. US doctors graduate much later than the rest of the world. If a 30 year old graduate going into a specialized surgical residency is perfectly the norm here in the USA, should be in Singapore as well.

Mumu. I actually have very little time on my hands but I try to utilize it wisely by making a direct point. Not some lame response involving lasers and pewpewpews? What do you do with your time, play video games all day? If you come off as such a jerk on this forum, I'm sure you were perceived similarly at your interview. We already have enough doctors who are jerks. We don't need more. What are you bitter about exactly?

Hey guys,

I was at the Jan. 5 applicant day also. Still waiting though :(. First and foremost, congrats on the acceptances guys. I'm hoping that I receive some news this following week. Couldn't sleep all of last night :scared:. Where are you guys from mdude, white99?

Hey guys,

I was at the Jan. 5 applicant day also. Still waiting though :(. First and foremost, congrats on the acceptances guys. I'm hoping that I receive some news this following week. Couldn't sleep all of last night :scared:. Where are you guys from mdude, white99?

I think both mdude and white99 are from America.

Good luck and have sufficient rest. Don't worry too much.

I went for the interview yesterday (late MCATers), I think if the Duke curriculum is so attractive to you, you should seriously consider coming since the GMS get their materials from Duke University and follow their curriculum quite closely.

Cheers

I'm all but resigned to waiting for another year, find another job and maybe retake my MCAT. Does anyone know if the interviews are still ongoing or are they done?

Thanks in advance.

does anyone know how much singaporean doctors make relative to US doctors? I'd be curious to know before I sign my life away to singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.