Iowa State C/O 2026 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received an acceptance! I will be declining my seat. I was waitlist #118! Best of luck❤

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
They are on #123 as of today. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A bit off topic, bit does anyone know if students get a discount at the vet med center? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
A bit off topic, bit does anyone know if students get a discount at the vet med center? Thank you!
You get a 20% discount on services.

Thank you so much!!
Just wanted to add in case you were planning on going to them once you’re a student — you need to have your school ID I think to show proof you’re a student (the discount isn’t automatically applied.)

You get a 20% discount on services.
The discount is 15% and services need to be paid for in full at the time they're rendered, i.e. you can't leave a balance on your account.

Just wanted to add in case you were planning on going to them once you’re a student — you need to have your school ID I think to show proof you’re a student (the discount isn’t automatically applied.)
I *think* they may ask for it the first time you visit but they'll make a note in your account that you're a student and then you're good after that!

The discount is 15% and services need to be paid for in full at the time they're rendered, i.e. you can't leave a balance on your account.

I *think* they may ask for it the first time you visit but they'll make a note in your account that you're a student and then you're good after that!
Not directly related - but do any current students have recommendations for animal hospitals in the area for routine care?

Question for current students. Is there a dress code for the school? I mean can we go to class in scrubs or should be we dressing business casual?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current students. Is there a dress code for the school? I mean can we go to class in scrubs or should be we dressing business casual?
No scrubs as of right now. I believe the dress code is currently in discussion. Previously we had 'fancy Thursdays', every other day you could wear jeans or different pants, sweatshirts etc, anything but sweatpants, leggings and shorts. I'm hoping that next year we'll be allowed to wear scrubs but be prepared to not be allowed.

Dang they're still on #131 as of this morning :|

• Wow
Not directly related - but do any current students have recommendations for animal hospitals in the area for routine care?
I took my dogs to Boone Vet Hospital which is in Boone, IA (about a 15-20 min outside of Ames) and loved the care there! A lot of students take their pets there. Another popular one is Somerset Vet Hospital.

No scrubs as of right now. I believe the dress code is currently in discussion. Previously we had 'fancy Thursdays', every other day you could wear jeans or different pants, sweatshirts etc, anything but sweatpants, leggings and shorts. I'm hoping that next year we'll be allowed to wear scrubs but be prepared to not be allowed.
Wait, are we not allowed to wear scrubs at all? Not even on days that are NOT "fancy Thursdays?"

I took my dogs to Boone Vet Hospital which is in Boone, IA (about a 15-20 min outside of Ames) and loved the care there! A lot of students take their pets there. Another popular one is Somerset Vet Hospital.
Thanks so much!!!

Wait, are we not allowed to wear scrubs at all? Not even on days that are NOT "fancy Thursdays?"
Unfortunately no. Most people just wear jeans and a tee or sweatshirt (it gets real cold in the lecture halls). You just can't wear like sweatpants or leggings but you can still be comfy on normal days with a sweater.

Unfortunately no. Most people just wear jeans and a tee or sweatshirt (it gets real cold in the lecture halls). You just can't wear like sweatpants or leggings but you can still be comfy on normal days with a sweater.
Wows, I would have never guessed. What a strange rule for dress code. Thank you for letting me know!

Can anyone tell me what textbooks are used for BMS 330 and BMS 333? Someone in my area just listed a bunch of books but I don't know if they are relevant to Iowa or not.

Can anyone tell me what textbooks are used for BMS 330 and BMS 333? Someone in my area just listed a bunch of books but I don't know if they are relevant to Iowa or not.
On the class of 2026 info under "book and computer information" is this link for all of the textbooks!
I heard many professors only test off of PowerPoint and lecture materials - so I wasn't really planning on buying any textbooks besides anatomy. I really want to make a public google drive so we can all share pdfs of textbooks.

In addition to what Vic said (that professors test mainly from lecture PowerPoints and their own notes they provide) I would recommend not buying textbooks new from the bookstore or even Amazon! Buying used books from upperclassmen will save you a lot of money!

Hi - hoping any current students could give input. I know we get a tablet/laptop from ISU, and this may be an odd question, but I am wondering if we are made to use it. I am more comfortable with the apple products I have (specifically an ipad) - will I be able to use this in class or are things solely accessible via the laptop we are given?

Hi - hoping any current students could give input. I know we get a tablet/laptop from ISU, and this may be an odd question, but I am wondering if we are made to use it. I am more comfortable with the apple products I have (specifically an ipad) - will I be able to use this in class or are things solely accessible via the laptop we are given?
Hi! You don't have to use the laptop ISU provides (Lenovo Thinkpad that can turn into a tablet and also comes with a stylus) although regardless you're still stuck paying a pretty penny for it with 1st semester tuition. Most students use OneNote for their notes and lecture powerpoints but you could easily use that on an iPad as well. I will say though for exams you will need the school laptop bc exams that aren't on paper are on Lockdown Browser and that's installed for you ahead of time.

Update: There are currently two seats available and the next to be contacted is 144.

I actually only use my laptop when required. (Exams or downloading files to transfer to OneNote)

I bring my iPad with me to class and have used it since vet school started! I find it much better than the $2500 piece of junk they make us purchase lol.

I just use my laptop or personal computer at home to transfer things to OneNote so it syncs with OneNote downloaded on my iPad.

I will say though — you’ll probably need to invest in an iPad that has the larger space option. I think each semester uses up about 20-40 gb.

I actually only use my laptop when required. (Exams or downloading files to transfer to OneNote)

I bring my iPad with me to class and have used it since vet school started! I find it much better than the $2500 piece of junk they make us purchase lol.

I just use my laptop or personal computer at home to transfer things to OneNote so it syncs with OneNote downloaded on my iPad.

I will say though — you’ll probably need to invest in an iPad that has the larger space option. I think each semester uses up about 20-40 gb.
thank you so much! this is super helpful!

thank you so much! this is super helpful!
I also use my iPad a lot and only use my laptop for tests or for histo lab. I had a regular iPad that was a little older and recently invested in an iPad Pro with more space!

Wondering if there's any current students on here that I could better explain to me the class schedule and how they balance working on top of school and if its possible :) need some kind of income lol TIA!

I know someone else asked about the dress code but as far as jeans… are skinny jeans ok or they have to be straight legged?

Wondering if there's any current students on here that I could better explain to me the class schedule and how they balance working on top of school and if its possible :) need some kind of income lol TIA!
Working the amount you're probably used to working in undergrad is not really possible as your classes plus extra schoolwork and studying is more than a full time job. Some people will work a few hours during the week or on the weekends but it's really up to you and what you can handle. I had a job at the school (as did a lot of my classmates) that was very flexible and only required a few hours of my time each week. Although it was good to have some extra spending money it didn't really cover a whole lot as far as rent and stuff, at least for me.

Update: Currently one seat left and the next alternate to be contacted is 150

I know someone else asked about the dress code but as far as jeans… are skinny jeans ok or they have to be straight legged?
Skinny jeans are fine- I've worn ripped jeans, personally I've seen people show up in sweatpants (which is definitely against the dress code) so a few tears in jeans doesn't seem like a huge deal to me 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think that the students that work on campus can manage it (library, hospital etc). personally I couldn't and wouldn't. Getting a handle on school is hard for some and it is absolutely nothing like underground.

Working the amount you're probably used to working in undergrad is not really possible as your classes plus extra schoolwork and studying is more than a full time job. Some people will work a few hours during the week or on the weekends but it's really up to you and what you can handle. I had a job at the school (as did a lot of my classmates) that was very flexible and only required a few hours of my time each week. Although it was good to have some extra spending money it didn't really cover a whole lot as far as rent and stuff, at least for me.
Where did you/other students work that were okay with you having limited availability and just working a few hours a week? Just wondering what’s available in that sense, thanks :)

Where did you/other students work that were okay with you having limited availability and just working a few hours a week? Just wondering what’s available in that sense, thanks :)
There’s usually a lot of positions available at school. You can work in the library, necropsy lab, ICU (pick your own hours when you can work), etc. there are tons of openings in the school. You can also work as your class’s AV rep if you’re decent with technology (you get trained too) and you get paid for attending class and troubleshooting issues professors may have with tech. The downside with being an AV rep is, you have to come to every class.

I know some students work as bartenders so they just work evening shifts at some local restaurants.

So what off the order form do you actually need to order right now. Also are we only allowed to wear burgundy and navy colored scrubs or is that just the colors they happen to have right now on the form?

So what off the order form do you actually need to order right now. Also are we only allowed to wear burgundy and navy colored scrubs or is that just the colors they happen to have right now on the form?
You really don’t need anything. Books are cheaper from upperclassmen or Amazon (there’s a buy/sell Facebook page).

You can wear whatever color scrubs you want in anatomy lab (you can’t wear scrubs to class though)

I don’t remember what else is on the order list but most things are cheaper on Amazon imo

My biggest concern was the lab coat is that the coat for the white coat ceremony? Like I have my one from chemistry still and it's in fine shape but nothing fancy.

My biggest concern was the lab coat is that the coat for the white coat ceremony? Like I have my one from chemistry still and it's in fine shape but nothing fancy.
You get a fancy one at the ceremony. The lab coat they want you buy is for anatomy lab and will reek of formaldehyde pretty quickly. If you have one already, no need to get a fancy new one just to get it trashed.