Iowa State C/O 2026 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was ranked at #176. Should I assume I am not getting in this round? I know it moves a lot, but I don't know if it will hit 170s.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was ranked at #176. Should I assume I am not getting in this round? I know it moves a lot, but I don't know if it will hit 170s.
Don't assume you won't! It's gone up to 200 in previous years. There's always hope :)

I just wanted to let everyone know I was offered a position today! I was number 27.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
We’re you accepted on the Facebook page? I can’t seem to be approved
it took me a few days, i ended up resending my request and getting accepted later that day, I think the moderator checks it every few days or when she has something new to post

Reactions: 1 user
I just got called off the waitlist!!! I was number 44. Just to keep everyone updated!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted my seat (OOS)!! Can’t wait to meet everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted my seat (OOS)!! Can’t wait to meet everyone!
Were you pulled from the waitlist or were you originally offered? If waitlist, what number were you? Also- Congratulations!

Are there any current vet students who have information about buying a trailer in Old Orchard who didn’t buy it in cash?

#55 and I just got the email

Does anyone know or have experience claiming a seat at two school's you've been accepted to? I need more time to make up my mind and I'm ok with losing a deposit. I just have a few more housing related issues I want to have fully sorted before committing to one place over the other, but I can't find any info anywhere about accepting a spot at two places you've been accepted to (vs one place you've been accepted at while waiting to get off a waitlist)

#188, just dropped my spot on the OOS waitlist

Does anyone know or have experience claiming a seat at two school's you've been accepted to? I need more time to make up my mind and I'm ok with losing a deposit. I just have a few more housing related issues I want to have fully sorted before committing to one place over the other, but I can't find any info anywhere about accepting a spot at two places you've been accepted to (vs one place you've been accepted at while waiting to get off a waitlist)
Technically, as long as you pay your deposit, you can hold the seat because the other schools won't know. Unless they're reading this forum and can figure out who you are from your posts. ;)

It's kind of a jerk move though. The student who will take the seat you give up has less time to get their life in order for attending school.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted my spot, #51 OOS waitlist. Can't wait to meet all of you who have been accepted as well. What a rollercoaster of emotions this has been...

Reactions: 3 users
anyone able to ask for an update on where they are today # wise? (or has an update already?)

I just got called off my #1 waitlist, I'm going to give up my Iowa seat. Good luck everyone!

• Love
Just declined my alternate spot @ Iowa State.. I was number 70 for reference!

Reactions: 5 users
So I am going to submit my deposit. I know it says to do it in such a way we can track it. When I asked the post office they said my best bet is to require someone to sign for it...I am curious of anyone else went that route??

So I am going to submit my deposit. I know it says to do it in such a way we can track it. When I asked the post office they said my best bet is to require someone to sign for it...I am curious of anyone else went that route??
I didn’t do that and my deposit was received successfully! I just made sure my receipt showed the tracking number. I didn’t even have to check the tracking because it was delivered right away and my portal was updated (I did overnight shipping).

Just wondering approximately how long it took everyone to receive an official acceptance letter/get info about submitting your deposit after getting off the waitlist

I heard they're around #88, im still waiting for an official update from the portal.

They're officially on #97!!! (per iowa state message board)

Thank you!! That's exciting. Do you think they'II tell us how many spots are left?

Thank you!! That's exciting. Do you think they'II tell us how many spots are left?
They historically from what i've seen, have not answered that question. Someone from one of the other current Iowa state vet classes might be able to get the information from a professor/administrator potentially but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I am #176 and was thinking about declining my seat. It is OOS and the cost will be $280,000 in debt. Anyone else concerned with cost? I was planning to reapply in hopes to get IS at WI. Any advice of I should take the iowa spot this year or wait until next year?

I want to go but it is hard when I could just reapply and try to save half the cost

I am #176 and was thinking about declining my seat. It is OOS and the cost will be $280,000 in debt. Anyone else concerned with cost? I was planning to reapply in hopes to get IS at WI. Any advice of I should take the iowa spot this year or wait until next year?
Personally I wouldn't deny your spot just yet. While it could go either way if they even make it up that far this year, and it depends every year how far they get, it is costing you nothing to sit on the waitlist at the moment. There is a high potential that you might not even be pulled from the waitlist this year. I would say spend this extra time truly weighing the pros and cons of whether this is a feasible amount of debt for you. While you might not know your exact career path plans, I would also give some hard thought into whether or not you might want to specialize after vet school/get boarded. This would mean taking a position at a school where you are paid very little to help further your veterinary education so you can become specialized in an area. All of this is incredibly important to take into account when determining if something is worth it for you or not.

Some people are able to say yes vet school is worth it is because they might have a variety of extraneous factors:
-they might be non traditional students who have spent years saving for exactly this moment and could have little to no extraneous debt from life/undergrad
-these could be undergrad students who came out of school with no debt and are prepared to take on this much debt
-these could be students who have always worked through-out school and will continue to do so throughout vet school (I have seen it, vet students that had little to no time for themselves because they were constantly working or in school)
-they might have a spouse supporting them or parents or XYZ, Idk honestly they could have won the lottery.

The blessing right now is you have time to do both: which is sit on the waitlist and see what happens, and also prepare to reapply for next cycle. You can always decide if you do happen to get pulled off the list that it's just not going to be doable and decline your spot to give someone else a chance.

So, at the end of the day it is a little hard to help someone else make a decision that has to come from you as you know your life situation much better than anyone else. (I.e. someone who might be financially responsible for a child or multiple dogs or a sibling or something else, might not be able to commit to an OOS school as that would jeopardize their financial situation too precariously)

So personally, I would sit down with whoever might be helping you financially in the future (whether that is just you, a parent, a grandparent, a relative, a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/fiance/spouse, sibling, etc) and seriously discuss financials, try to figure out how much you spend a month as it is (groceries, housing, essentials and whatever extraneous and see what you can make sure) and then factor in having little to no income for 4 years and then putting yourself in a large amount of debt following those 4 years when loans start needing to be repaid.

:) just my two cents! (hopefully it was a little helpful and not too rambly)

Reactions: 1 users
Personally I wouldn't deny your spot just yet. While it could go either way if they even make it up that far this year, and it depends every year how far they get, it is costing you nothing to sit on the waitlist at the moment. There is a high potential that you might not even be pulled from the waitlist this year. I would say spend this extra time truly weighing the pros and cons of whether this is a feasible amount of debt for you. While you might not know your exact career path plans, I would also give some hard thought into whether or not you might want to specialize after vet school/get boarded. This would mean taking a position at a school where you are paid very little to help further your veterinary education so you can become specialized in an area. All of this is incredibly important to take into account when determining if something is worth it for you or not.

Some people are able to say yes vet school is worth it is because they might have a variety of extraneous factors:
-they might be non traditional students who have spent years saving for exactly this moment and could have little to no extraneous debt from life/undergrad
-these could be undergrad students who came out of school with no debt and are prepared to take on this much debt
-these could be students who have always worked through-out school and will continue to do so throughout vet school (I have seen it, vet students that had little to no time for themselves because they were constantly working or in school)
-they might have a spouse supporting them or parents or XYZ, Idk honestly they could have won the lottery.

The blessing right now is you have time to do both: which is sit on the waitlist and see what happens, and also prepare to reapply for next cycle. You can always decide if you do happen to get pulled off the list that it's just not going to be doable and decline your spot to give someone else a chance.

So, at the end of the day it is a little hard to help someone else make a decision that has to come from you as you know your life situation much better than anyone else. (I.e. someone who might be financially responsible for a child or multiple dogs or a sibling or something else, might not be able to commit to an OOS school as that would jeopardize their financial situation too precariously)

So personally, I would sit down with whoever might be helping you financially in the future (whether that is just you, a parent, a grandparent, a relative, a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/fiance/spouse, sibling, etc) and seriously discuss financials, try to figure out how much you spend a month as it is (groceries, housing, essentials and whatever extraneous and see what you can make sure) and then factor in having little to no income for 4 years and then putting yourself in a large amount of debt following those 4 years when loans start needing to be repaid.

:) just my two cents! (hopefully it was a little helpful and not too rambly)
Thank you! I truly appreciate your honesty!!!
They are already #97 according to this thread and it's only been a month....If it continues at this rate, I wanted to make a plan as if I were called. It is hard trying to plan ahead and the waiting is a killer LOL

Just declined my OOS seat. I was #72. Good luck everyone :)

Sorry to keep asking, but does anyone have any updates for today?