loma linda... other christian medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalindbungs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if there were other schools like loma linda in california? i don't necessarily know if loma linda is ranked the lowest for a reason... but im wondering why it is ranked so low? i found the school appealing because it is a christian school but the low ranking made me question it.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. This is for pre-OSTEOPATHIC students, not allopathic. Try MD forums

To answer your question without causing a scene: A) Its Private B) Its Christian . Those two reasons contribute to the ranking, you can fill the in the rest with the "how"

Members don't see this ad :)
Also rankings mean absolutely nothing at all. The US News rankings are based on the amount of funding that go into research. It has nothing to do with the quality of physicians that come out of the school

Also rankings mean absolutely nothing at all. The US News rankings are based on the amount of funding that go into research. It has nothing to do with the quality of physicians that come out of the school

Agree.

Rankings are predominantly based on amount of NIH funding. NIH funding has nothing to do with the medical students...it has to do with how much funding the faculty procures. And to be honest, if your faculty is ranking in tons of research money then they'd probably rather be researching than teaching.

Rankings have nothing to do with the type of education you will get at the medical school.

Loma Linda is "low-ranked" because it is not a research powerhouse. If you think you would be happy there then you should apply there. But keep in mind that just because its ranked low doesn't mean its easy to get into. Applying to California is a crap-shoot, all of the schools are. Because California is a highly desirable place to live. Applying to residency is the same way.

As far as I know there is no other "Christian Med school" in California.

Last edited:
yeah, there really aren't any other "christian" schools like loma linda anywhere in the US. Regents U has talked about opening a med school, but fat chance of that ever happening in reality.

I agree. This is for pre-OSTEOPATHIC students, not allopathic. Try MD forums

To answer your question without causing a scene: A) Its Private B) Its Christian . Those two reasons contribute to the ranking, you can fill the in the rest with the "how"

I see... Thank you to you and to everybody else for replying!

Agree.

Rankings are predominantly based on amount of NIH funding. NIH funding has nothing to do with the medical students...it has to do with how much funding the faculty procures. And to be honest, if your faculty is ranking in tons of research money then they'd probably rather be researching than teaching.

Rankings have nothing to do with the type of education you will get at the medical school.

Loma Linda is "low-ranked" because it is not a research powerhouse. If you think you would be happy there then you should apply there. But keep in mind that just because its ranked low doesn't mean its easy to get into. Applying to California is a crap-shoot, all of the schools are. Because California is a highly desirable place to live. Applying to residency is the same way.

As far as I know there is no other "Christian Med school" in California.

No there are no other Christian

Have you ever heard of Georgetown, Saint Louis U, Creighton & Loyola?

haha well thats not a complete sentence. It was supposed to say "There are no other Christian schools in California" - the OPs question. But apparently I got distractedwhen writing it.

Catholic (esp. Jesuit) and Seventh Day Adventist are two totally different animals. (of course if Ave Maria started a school...)
Agreed.

LL is not unlike ultra-conservative evangelical schools of all levels where "the message" gets a significant amount of attention along with the functional mission. That's a turnoff for many people and an attraction for some.

Aside from those negatives, it's in a part of the state that many find undesireable as a place to live.

Rightly or wrongly, LL's reputation puts it generally at the bottom of schools in California. But it's a private school and so like others it gets a flood of apps. My sense is that unless the location or religious aspect is important to you personally, most people accepted to LL and any other allo school would usually choose to attend the other allo school.

My sense is that unless the location or religious aspect is important to you personally, most people accepted to LL and any other allo school would usually choose to attend the other allo school.

Seems like an unfair assumption. Personally, LL is winning me over because of its facilities, curriculum, residency opportunities and mostly for its true mission of altruism (lots of international opportunities). Im not super into its religious aspects and dont have a tie to the area but its still winning me over the other allo schools I have been accepted to.

Do you have first hand experience with LL? I am curious to find how you have developed your theories for the school.

These are the only other "Christian" schools (and they are not in Cali obviously). They are also different than LL.

Religion affects the philosophy of the school and what they do at the hospital, but it's not like religion is the important aspect of your daily life as a med student or physician. These four Jesuit schools have a strong service component and try to give students experience in underserved areas (both through electives and requirements). Many other schools have this focus too.

It also affects what they do at the hospital. Many affiliated hospitals are Catholic. So, there are certain things they will not do at those hospitals and you wouldn't do as a student or physician. However, at least when I was at Georgetown, they were quick to point out that they do tell patients where they can get these things done.

So, these schools are "religious," but you could really go to these schools and pretty much have the same experience as any other school. You don't need to be religious or participate in anything religious.

LL, on the other hand, seems to be more religious. I don't know much, but I heard that you actually need to attend religious gatherings in some form. And the average student is quite religious, which is not necessarily true about these other schools. Let me know if I'm wrong though.

Seems like an unfair assumption. Personally, LL is winning me over because of its facilities, curriculum, residency opportunities and mostly for its true mission of altruism (lots of international opportunities). Im not super into its religious aspects and dont have a tie to the area but its still winning me over the other allo schools I have been accepted to.

Do you have first hand experience with LL? I am curious to find how you have developed your theories for the school.
My comments are from my experiences "in the area" and conversations with people WITH first hand experience.

Don't misunderstand, LL is a fully accredited school with a great history of service and accomplishment. Graduates become well trained MDs. All I was saying was that many find the overt religiosity to be extreme and uncomfortable, and many applicants prefer other schools for this and other reasons. Any acceptance deserves a congratulations, and if it fills the bill for you, best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.