2020-2021 Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm gonna call tomorrow and ask, but I'm assuming it means they just pull people off randomly?
I have a theory that medical schools have goals to meet e.g., reaching a certain median MCAT/GPA, selecting a demographically diverse class, etc. Hypothetically, if the school had a goal of matriculating 40 students from California, and let's say an admitted Californian applicant withdraws, the school will go into the waitlist and search for California students who are waitlisted and make a decision from there. The same thing may go for MCAT, if someone with a 520 withdraws, Loma may only pull people off who have MCAT scores that will help reach their MCAT goal. So, unranked could mean that the adcom will replace similarly (i.e., in stats, life experience, demographics) accepted applicants with waitlist applicants. Let us know if they give you an answer!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm gonna call tomorrow and ask, but I'm assuming it means they just pull people off randomly?
I highly doubt it is random. In unranked waitlists, I have been under the impression that the adcom will then re-review everyone on the waitlist (periodically) and pick those with the highest scores (and high scores are given to applicants identified to have the best mission & vision alignment/MCAT/GPA/experiences).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Loma Linda releases the match results? I really wanna see them and can’t find the specifics list anywhere...

Does anyone know if Loma Linda releases the match results? I really wanna see them and can’t find the specifics list anywhere...
They don't publish them but if you email admissions they will send them to you

Hey does anyone if loma linda usually accepts a lot of people off their waitlist? this is my top choice and just curious if theres usually a lot of movement or not?

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? I completed all the requirements in the portal including the financial aid documents that were sent out in mid-March. Just checking in since it's mid-April now. :)

Hey does anyone if loma linda usually accepts a lot of people off their waitlist? this is my top choice and just curious if theres usually a lot of movement or not?

According to MSAR, LLU accepts about 25 applicants from their waitlist which has around 100 positions.

Do they still follow the same pattern for waitlist acceptances? If so, the next round would not be until May 13th

Hey, did you ever call and find out? I'm debating sending an email/call soon to ask about waitlist movement

Randomly received a financial aid award but haven’t been accepted to the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! so a little update: I have not called the admissions office about WL movement, but I'm assuming it should start after April 30th. I did however call about the financial aid and the lady confirmed that you will get an email regarding your financial award even if you are not accepted to the MD program yet. So unfortunately just because we get the financial award does not mean we have been accepted :(

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Should I email the admissions office of my new additional letters of recommendation? I believe that AMCAS sends it to the school directly; however, I feel like I should give them a notice. What do you guys think?

Hey guys! Should I email the admissions office of my new additional letters of recommendation? I believe that AMCAS sends it to the school directly; however, I feel like I should give them a notice. What do you guys think?
I've heard it's generally recommended to send LOR to AMCAS then send an email to inform the school. I could be wrong, but I do not think schools receive notification of additional LOR, so it's important to notify them independently via email. Best of luck!

Kinda scared...Submitted my Financial aid info/forms a few days ago. Am I screwed?

Does anyone know if Loma Linda sends out more acceptances than spots available? Wondering when the waitlist movement will start...

Does anyone know if Loma Linda sends out more acceptances than spots available? Wondering when the waitlist movement will start...
Idk but Im hoping not and that we will start hearing by this coming thursday... this is my #1 😅

What is the significance of this coming Thursday? Is it a deadline of some sort?
Since October, Loma Linda has released post ii decisions on every second Thursday of the month. However, I do not think this trend will hold up during the waitlist period. Regardless, I hope we see some waitlist movement this week!

At the LLU Open House in January, they said that last year they gave out 222 acceptances for 168 spots.

Current student at LLU. Happy to answer any questions you might have about the school :)

Reactions: 3 users
Current student at LLU. Happy to answer any questions you might have about the school :)
How are the tests? Are there still no online/recorded lectures? Is there a note sharing/collaboration/drive type thing going on? Do you find yourself wishing you had P/F curriculum?

I want to choose LLUSM, but I'm conflicted. The debt load looks soul-crushing (and I don't think they have scholarships). I feel like every moment I would get distracted by the red in my ledger.

Avengers: Endgame' Writer Confirms Black Widow Erased The Red In Her Ledger  - ScienceFiction.com

How are the tests? Are there still no online/recorded lectures? Is there a note sharing/collaboration/drive type thing going on? Do you find yourself wishing you had P/F curriculum?

I want to choose LLUSM, but I'm conflicted. The debt load looks soul-crushing (and I don't think they have scholarships). I feel like every moment I would get distracted by the red in my ledger.

Avengers: Endgame' Writer Confirms Black Widow Erased The Red In Her Ledger  - ScienceFiction.com' Writer Confirms Black Widow Erased The Red In Her Ledger  - ScienceFiction.com
Are you still holding multiple acceptances?

Thanks for reaching out to us premeds! Do you have a sense of how many students in your class got off the waitlist and around when they got the acceptance?

Tests are hard (no one said med school was easy) and can be frustrating when they don't test on things you expected them to test on. Generally, people are doing fairly well on them, though. Most of our lectures this year have been panoptos or zooms, but we are starting to return to more in person stuff, which is generally recorded. Yes to sharing, and some incredible anki sharing. We are fully P/F in the first 2 years!

Tests are hard (no one said med school was easy) and can be frustrating when they don't test on things you expected them to test on. Generally, people are doing fairly well on them, though. Most of our lectures this year have been panoptos or zooms, but we are starting to return to more in person stuff, which is generally recorded. Yes to sharing, and some incredible anki sharing. We are fully P/F in the first 2 years!
Good to hear that in-person stuff is generally recorded and that you guys are returning to in-person mode. I like the sound of a collaborative/sharing atmosphere! I didn't know that the didactic years were P/F, that's awesome! (Makes me wonder what other false impressions I hold)

Avengers: Endgame' Writer Confirms Black Widow Erased The Red In Her Ledger  - ScienceFiction.com' Writer Confirms Black Widow Erased The Red In Her Ledger  - ScienceFiction.com
Shockwaver already addressed this, but I'll give my piece too. Tests for 1st years are primarily multiple choice and from what I've heard from friends at different institutions, are fairly similar in difficulty. COVID pushed the faculty to make the curriculum virtual, and many students have really enjoyed it. It sounds like next year, the pre-clinical curriculum will likely be a mix of in-person and pre-recorded lectures. There will almost always be a lecture recording after a live talk, so they are not mandatory to attend.

As was said above, you will find a very collaborative atmosphere here. People are more than willing to share their resources, documents, and anki decks to pretty much anyone that might need the help. We all want to see each other succeed. Curriculum is P/F until clerkships, and it rocks. You can set your own standards for adequate performance- be the caliber of doctor you want to be. I came to LLU "out of network" with other acceptances and wouldn't change a thing - it's an awesome school. Feel free to private message with specific concerns/questions if anyone is struggling with making that decision - it's a big one to make!

Thanks for reaching out to us premeds! Do you have a sense of how many students in your class got off the waitlist and around when they got the acceptance?
For sure! Somebody posted ~25/year from the waitlist per MSAR - that's the best I've got, and it may vary largely from year to year. They will continue to notify people throughout the summer as people make their final decisions. I know the wait sucks :/

hey y'all, anyone hear anything?

Last edited:
I have not :( the waitlist movement does not seem to have started?
I called at the beginning of May to ask whether the class was full. At that point, all they said was that no waitlist movement had started. Has anyone else called or planning to call admissions soon?

I called at the beginning of May to ask whether the class was full. At that point, all they said was that no waitlist movement had started. Has anyone else called or planning to call admissions soon?
It’s tough to say wait, but it appears some people may be choosing other schools as they disappear from accepted groups unannounced. How many... not sure but hopefully good news is on the way.

Should I send in a final and last semester grades as an update even if the school did not ask for it?

Should I send in a final and last semester grades as an update even if the school did not ask for it?
Yeah, you should. In your application portal, under the waitlist tab, they ask that you send your final transcripts even if you are an alternate

has anyone called them to see if the waitlist movement has started or their class is completely full? The wait is killing me.

has anyone called them to see if the waitlist movement has started or their class is completely full? The wait is killing me.
Yeah I get you, killing me too. Im hoping theres some movement soon because they just had their graduation so maybe the committee has more time to meet

Yeah I get you, killing me too. Im hoping theres some movement soon because they just had their graduation so maybe the committee has more time to meet
If you look at the class of 2025 FB group, it looks like the class is full. Just looking at how many members are in the group. I hope there is future movement though!

Just called admissions and asked about WL movement. They wouldn’t divulge anything without me giving them my name.

Just called admissions and asked about WL movement. They wouldn’t divulge anything without me giving them my name.
Curious why did you not want to give your name? Seems like it would be innocuous to share that with them.

Curious why did you not want to give your name? Seems like it would be innocuous to share that with them.
Cause I withdrew from the WL a few weeks ago and didn’t want to explain that I’m no longer on the WL and just checking for homies on SDN.
But FWIW, for those of you who are on the WL, it seems like they would be willing to give info if you want call and give your name

Cause I withdrew from the WL a few weeks ago and didn’t want to explain that I’m no longer on the WL and just checking for homies on SDN.
But FWIW, for those of you who are on the WL, it seems like they would be willing to give info if you want call and give your name
Gotcha. Ok thanks for the info! I might give em a call then.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who is already a student I have a question about living expenses! Are there any costs you might not automatically think of when calculating what student loans to take out? Any costs specific to Loma Linda?