Mount Sinai vs. NYU (+ Vanderbilt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mount Sinai vs. NYU vs. Vanderbilt

• Mount Sinai

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • NYU

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

miku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been very fortunate to have been accepted to three schools that I really like and am having a difficult time choosing one. Some background: I am originally from the New York metropolitan area and have been living in NYC for the last few years. I have a preference to stay in the northeast for residency (or possibly move to CA, where I have family). I am undecided on specialty, but have not ruled out some of the more competitive ones. My girlfriend and family are nearby so I am leaning towards staying here but am open to considering Nashville.

Mount Sinai
Pros
+New York City, Upper East Side/East Harlem location
+Curriculum is 2 years pre-clinical -- the prevailing sentiment seems on SDN from people who have been through the process is that having enough independent time to study (outside of the dedicated 6-8 weeks at most schools) is the most important factor in achieving a high Step 1 score; Sinai would help me accomplish this best
+Don't have to "compete" with undergrads for research opportunities - plenty of research opportunities in all fields
+Highest flexibility when it comes to testing (take home)
+++P/F unranked for pre-clinical years (no internal ranking, even for AOA)

Cons
-Curriculum is not as "innovative" as the others - fewer clinical correlates before Step 1
-Some clinical rotations are far (Queens / north Jersey)
-Standalone medical school with location that isn't as lively as NYU's; few people to interact with on campus other than medical students, and fewer resources outside of medical school (e.g. intramural sports, clubs, etc.)
-Seems that most activities on campus center around research and community service. These are important to me, but I also have other interests like health policy, writing, etc.
-Facilities are kind of old and the overall polish of Sinai seems to be lower than the two other schools

NYU
Pros
++New York City, best location out of all three for me (with easy access downtown)
+Part of NYU - more places to study, more activities, potentially more research opportunities
+Loved the people I met at my interview and second look
+1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
+P/F

Cons
-Considering financial aid, highest cost of attendance (by about $3-5K over Sinai)
-1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum seems more stressful and having Step 1 after rotations limits the amount of independent time for studying outside of the dedicated 6 weeks
-Pre-clinical internal ranking for AOA (so, this is technically not "unranked")
-NYU is, to my understanding, still recovering from Sandy - though this is not expected to hinder the student experience when I enter school

Vanderbilt
Pros
+Vanderbilt seems very student-centric and the culture is top notch
+Vandy seems to have the best reputation nationally, which could open doors for residency
+Considering financial aid, lowest COA (though this is about $3-5K cheaper than Sinai)
+1 year pre-clinical curriculum (P/F) - good for me, especially since I don't know what field I want to pursue, so there's more time to think about it during 3rd year
+University affiliation that leads to meaningful activities and social experiences for students

Cons
-1 year pre-clinical curriculum seems most stressful and having Step 1 after rotations limits the amount of independent time for studying outside of the dedicated time
-Nashville is not near family/friends, and it's not that easy to get home
-Nashville is not NYC

Summary: I am leaning towards Sinai - it seems to have solid fundamentals in the way of flexible testing, ample time for Step 1 studying, and more than enough research opportunities. However, I feel that I may be missing out by not being affiliated with a larger university. Further, while I love NYC, I know Vanderbilt would be a great place to go to school.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been very fortunate to have been accepted to three schools that I really like and am having a difficult time choosing one. Some background: I am originally from the New York metropolitan area and have been living in NYC for the last few years. I have a preference to stay in the northeast for residency (or possibly move to CA, where I have family). I am undecided on specialty, but have not ruled out some of the more competitive ones. My girlfriend and family are nearby so I am leaning towards staying here but am open to considering Nashville.

Mount Sinai
Pros
+New York City, Upper East Side/East Harlem location
+Curriculum is 2 years pre-clinical -- the prevailing sentiment seems on SDN from people who have been through the process is that having enough independent time to study (outside of the dedicated 6-8 weeks at most schools) is the most important factor in achieving a high Step 1 score; Sinai would help me accomplish this best
+Don't have to "compete" with undergrads for research opportunities - plenty of research opportunities in all fields
+Highest flexibility when it comes to testing (take home)
+++P/F unranked for pre-clinical years (no internal ranking, even for AOA)

Cons
-Curriculum is not as "innovative" as the others - fewer clinical correlates before Step 1
-Some clinical rotations are far (Queens / north Jersey)
-Standalone medical school with location that isn't as lively as NYU's; few people to interact with on campus other than medical students, and fewer resources outside of medical school (e.g. intramural sports, clubs, etc.)
-Seems that most activities on campus center around research and community service. These are important to me, but I also have other interests like health policy, writing, etc.
-Facilities are kind of old and the overall polish of Sinai seems to be lower than the two other schools

NYU
Pros
++New York City, best location out of all three for me (with easy access downtown)
+Part of NYU - more places to study, more activities, potentially more research opportunities
+Loved the people I met at my interview and second look
+1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
+P/F

Cons
-Considering financial aid, highest cost of attendance (by about $3-5K over Sinai)
-1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum seems more stressful and having Step 1 after rotations limits the amount of independent time for studying outside of the dedicated 6 weeks
-Pre-clinical internal ranking for AOA (so, this is technically not "unranked")
-NYU is, to my understanding, still recovering from Sandy - though this is not expected to hinder the student experience when I enter school

Vanderbilt
Pros
+Vanderbilt seems very student-centric and the culture is top notch
+Vandy seems to have the best reputation nationally, which could open doors for residency
+Considering financial aid, lowest COA (though this is about $3-5K cheaper than Sinai)
+1 year pre-clinical curriculum (P/F) - good for me, especially since I don't know what field I want to pursue, so there's more time to think about it during 3rd year
+University affiliation that leads to meaningful activities and social experiences for students

Cons
-1 year pre-clinical curriculum seems most stressful and having Step 1 after rotations limits the amount of independent time for studying outside of the dedicated time
-Nashville is not near family/friends, and it's not that easy to get home
-Nashville is not NYC

Summary: I am leaning towards Sinai - it seems to have solid fundamentals in the way of flexible testing, ample time for Step 1 studying, and more than enough research opportunities. However, I feel that I may be missing out by not being affiliated with a larger university. Further, while I love NYC, I know Vanderbilt would be a great place to go to school.

I would probably choose Mt. Sinai in this situation, since it seems to have the curricular aspects that are most appealing to you. If research is important to you, then you can find it there, so this shouldn't be a dealbreaker. I believe Vandy's curriculum is quite new (could be wrong about this), which I personally would not be interested in being a guinea pig for. Also can't underestimate the importance of being close to SO/family and your post doesn't seem like you're in love with Vandy, so I would not sacrifice that. It's nice that you can take money out of the equation since they are all similar.

I would probably choose Mt. Sinai in this situation, since it seems to have the curricular aspects that are most appealing to you. If research is important to you, then you can find it there, so this shouldn't be a dealbreaker. I believe Vandy's curriculum is quite new (could be wrong about this), which I personally would not be interested in being a guinea pig for. Also can't underestimate the importance of being close to SO/family and your post doesn't seem like you're in love with Vandy, so I would not sacrifice that. It's nice that you can take money out of the equation since they are all similar.

Thanks for your input - yes, the costs are similar and you're right that family/friends/etc. are nearby. Vandy's curriculum is new, but it seems from people who went to second look that they're confident that it is well thought-out. Sinai will have its own minor restructuring of curriculum, but the two year system will not be changed.

For those of you who are considering a shortened pre-clinical curriculum -- do you feel that your Step 1 study time will be adequate?

Members don't see this ad :)
The name recognition of "New York University" is better than "Icahn School of Medicine" outside of the Northeast. I don't know if that's important to you.

The name recognition of "New York University" is better than "Icahn School of Medicine" outside of the Northeast. I don't know if that's important to you.

I wouldn't consider "Geffen", "Feinberg", "Carver", or "Perelman" to be household names either, but people certainly know UCLA, Northwestern, Iowa, and Penn, just as they know Mt. Sinai. Mt. Sinai is an excellent school that definitely has recognition nationwide in the medical community. Miku, if you're leaning towards Sinai, I think it's a great choice and gets my vote. Best of luck deciding!

Status
Not open for further replies.