Ohio State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah okay, thank you! Do you think it's too late to email thank you's? My interview was on 01/05. Not for the purposes of boosting admission chances, but to actually thank them since I really do want to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

ok that makes sense. but they had two emails on the osu website so i hop they got them!
I am sure they did! If you had the right people, I am sure they did. They are probably busy and a thank you note is just that--thanking them. So I bet they got them :).

I think maybe me being an OSU student had something to do with getting a call tbh, because I felt I was pretty average in that I had good grades but very narrow experience. I've never even shadowed a real vet clinic:wideyed:, just worked at a spay and neuter clinic and did some international internships with wildlife. No large animal, no research.. so don't get too nervous, most people's apps seem better than mine!!! Wish you all luck:D!!

Oh and thank you everyone!!

With a 3.8 GPA you're probably close to the top of the IS pool. The average GPA for all IS usually hangs around a 3.4 every year with about 250 applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG ... that sounds correct as I haven't yet heard of someone saying they got a rejection call...... O_O Holy **** though I did not think I would get in this year at all!!

I got the call at 2:05pm EST while I was at work. I am IS and an OSU student.

:DFor those who care:
GRE: 80th % verbal, 59th % quan; GPA 3.8; Science GPA: 3.72; only ~900hrs veterinary experience small animal and wildlife

.... also... :soexcited::soexcited:
I have pretty similar stats to you, makes me a little more hopeful! Hopefully my call comes soon! The wait is killing me lmao

do you know what avg oos gpa is?

I can't recall off the top of my head. The entire applicant pool is usually a 3.4-3.5 average (IS + OOS). The admitted applicants combined usually have higher averages that float around a 3.6-3.7. They do publish select admission stats in the class profiles on their website.

I can't recall off the top of my head. The entire applicant pool is usually a 3.4-3.5 average (IS + OOS). The admitted applicants combined usually have higher averages that float around a 3.6-3.7. They do publish select admission stats in the class profiles on their website.
thats fine, thanks anyway.
I didnt see on the website anything that separated is and oos stats though (other than the number of applicants, interviews, and selection)

With a 3.8 GPA you're probably close to the top of the IS pool. The average GPA for all IS usually hangs around a 3.4 every year with about 250 applicants.

Really? Hmm from what I've seen a lot of people had solid gpas 3.7ish and with tons more experience than me. But thanks I mean that's good to know!:)

I have pretty similar stats to you, makes me a little more hopeful! Hopefully my call comes soon! The wait is killing me lmao

Awesome! When did you interview and IS or OOS? I hope so too! post on here when you do :D!!

Awesome! When did you interview and IS or OOS? I hope so too! post on here when you do :D!!
I interviewed the 6th and am IS. Just graduated from OSU last spring and am currently taking a gap year

Hey guys I called back this morning! I'm in OOS :) she said on the phone that the offical acceptances will be going out in February, so not to worry if you didn't get a call yet.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Ah okay, thank you! Do you think it's too late to email thank you's? My interview was on 01/05. Not for the purposes of boosting admission chances, but to actually thank them since I really do want to.

i dont think its ever too late.

Reactions: 1 user
good luck to everyone interviewing today!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted today! I actually got an email telling me to call April Pugh as soon as convenient and was freaking out! but then when I called she told me I was accepted! I think it's because my phone tends not to have service so they may have tried to call and gotten an error or something similar to that. I interviewed on 1/6 and am OOS

Reactions: 7 users
I got accepted today! I actually got an email telling me to call April Pugh as soon as convenient and was freaking out! but then when I called she told me I was accepted! I think it's because my phone tends not to have service so they may have tried to call and gotten an error or something similar to that. I interviewed on 1/6 and am OOS

makes me wanna obsessively check my email now!

Congratulations.

Reactions: 1 users
Gah! Congratulations! Anyone else IS been accepted yet?

is there a bus route near the vet campus (i remember seeing the stops near the union when i interviewed) and any apartments near the bus line?

is there a bus route near the vet campus (i remember seeing the stops near the union when i interviewed) and any apartments near the bus line?

Yes, various. OSU has their own internal bus service called CABS and then there is the city bus service called COTA. Both have stops on west campus. I haven't ridden on CABS in a year+ but I take COTA to work every day from my Columbus suburb (they have "Express" buses for people commuting from outside the central city area and "Local" buses that serve the downtown/campus areas). You can check out the current lines at their websites but be aware that COTA is doing a huge redesign on their system so routes and stops are changing in May.

Yes, various. OSU has their own internal bus service called CABS and then there is the city bus service called COTA. Both have stops on west campus. I haven't ridden on CABS in a year+ but I take COTA to work every day from my Columbus suburb (they have "Express" buses for people commuting from outside the central city area and "Local" buses that serve the downtown/campus areas). You can check out the current lines at their websites but be aware that COTA is doing a huge redesign on their system so routes and stops are changing in May.

cool thanks . i will check out the websites for both.
im not accepted (yet.. hopefully :) ) but i'm most likely not going to be able to bring a car with me so

cool thanks . i will check out the websites for both.
im not accepted (yet.. hopefully :) ) but i'm most likely not going to be able to bring a car with me so

If you get in and start investigating where to live, I would recommend east campus ... at least for your first year as you learn to navigate Columbus. It's heavily undergrad and definitely not as nice as neighborhoods like Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights but rents are fairly cheap and there are lots of public transportation options including the East Residential CABS which is free and will take you into campus. It won't drop you off right at the vet school, but it will get you to the Union where you can pick up another bus that will take you within a more comfortable walking distance to the vet school. I lived on east campus throughout graduate school and used the bus systems almost every day I had class - including when I had classes out at the vet school. It's definitely not as fast as driving, but it kind of forced me to better plan my days and I could read and listen to music instead of white-knuckling the steering wheel through campus hoping not to hit distracted pedestrians.

Got accepted OOS by email today at 12:49 am (not sure if anyone wants stats but let me know i have no prob posting)

Reactions: 6 users
Got the official email this morning! OOS

Reactions: 5 users
So were these emails to people who had already gotten a phone call? Are we still thinking most acceptances will be in Feb?

I'm sure no one wants to talk about this, but has anyone heard about any rejections yet?

Anyone who got accepted so far can you post your stats? And so are they just emailing people now if they are accepted?

Anyone who got accepted so far can you post your stats? And so are they just emailing people now if they are accepted?

OSU lets some people know about acceptances on a rolling basis. Most people should find out in Feb (at least that's how they've done it in the past and how Dr. Lord explained they would do it this year...).

My stats

3.87 GPA
Last 45 4.0
GRE 160 V 162 Q 4.0 AW

About 900 hours of vet experience (equine, ER, and shelter)

Thousands of animal hours

Good luck everyone!

You get an email if they have already called you.
My stats:
GPA: 3.955
Last 45: 4.0
GRE: V: 160 Q: 159 Writing: 5.0
Thousands of hours for both animal experience and veterinary experience, including international experience
Also worked as a tutor throughout undergrad
Thesis research that is currently being written for publication along with hundreds of hours in the lab for that

So were these emails to people who had already gotten a phone call? Are we still thinking most acceptances will be in Feb?
I got no phone call . Just an email.

I'll post stats when I get home from work today

Interest: small animal medicine and public health (talked about companion animal zoonosis during interview but my application officially said main interest was small animal )

GPA: 3.99
Science: 3.99
Last 45.: 3.99 (gosh darn A- in intermediate organic chemistry)

~60 hours of zoo
~700 of vet experience - small animal, emergency (included avian and exotic)
~800 hours of biomedical chemistry research
various hours of non animal related employment and currently employed at a pet store

i dont remember exact gre scores but i do know my verbal was MUCH higher than quant which i got like 49th percentile

You know, seeing all these stats up makes me realize why I didn't even get an invite lol.
youve been accepted somewhere though right! thats all that matters lol

so there is no bus that runs o the stadium ? the stadium is right next the school if i remember correctly? i was accepted today! so now i really am worried about the bus/transportation situation - iknow columbus is serviced by uber but thats a bit excessive i think. so much to think about but i really love osu - the way the classes and hospital is set up, etc

so there is no bus that runs o the stadium ? the stadium is right next the school if i remember correctly? i was accepted today! so now i really am worried about the bus/transportation situation - iknow columbus is serviced by uber but thats a bit excessive i think. so much to think about but i really love osu - the way the classes and hospital is set up, etc
There is a bus stop for both COTA and the campus system on Woody Hayes Dr, right next to the vet school. I believe there is one girl in my class that takes the bus everyday and she lives about a 15 minute car ride away, on a direct COTA line to that stop.

There is a bus stop for both COTA and the campus system on Woody Hayes Dr, right next to the vet school. I believe there is one girl in my class that takes the bus everyday and she lives about a 15 minute car ride away, on a direct COTA line to that stop.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you know the area that she lives ? I went on the Cota website but I didn't understand a thing .. the stops or how to understand the schedule . It's very different from the bus system where I live . 15 minutes is about the time it takes me to get the bus work everyday here so it's perfect

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you know the area that she lives ? I went on the Cota website but I didn't understand a thing .. the stops or how to understand the schedule . It's very different from the bus system where I live . 15 minutes is about the time it takes me to get the bus work everyday here so it's perfect
I believe the bus line follows Kenny Road, so anywhere on that road would work. There's Governour's Square, Fox and Hound, several others that I can't think of now. It'll probably take longer than 15 minutes on the bus though, so keep that in mind.

Does anyone know if they base acceptance solely on interviews or do they also consider the rest of the application? My interview is Saturday. I'm super nervous! Any advice?

Does anyone know if they base acceptance solely on interviews or do they also consider the rest of the application? My interview is Saturday. I'm super nervous! Any advice?

The interview is very important but they also factor in the rest of your application.

Relax and enjoy!

To answer your first question, I'm not exactly sure, but if I had to guess, I would say they consider everything since it seems the only people that have been admitted so far on a rolling basis have really high academic stats (I'm really hoping that trend will not hold true for the rest of us who will find out when interviews are over ).

For advice, don't be nervous! Remember, it's a conversation, not an interrogation. They just want to get to know you. My interviewers were really friendly. I prepared by researching OSU so I could find things I am interested in as well as prepare questions. I also made sure I knew my application really well, and looked at the questions on SDN. I thought that prepared me well enough.
Good luck!!

dont be nervous.
I thought my interview went horribly but i still was accepted. dont sweat it to much and just answer naturally

I believe the bus line follows Kenny Road, so anywhere on that road would work. There's Governour's Square, Fox and Hound, several others that I can't think of now. It'll probably take longer than 15 minutes on the bus though, so keep that in mind.

the length of the trip doesnt really matter much to me - just that it exists. when i was in high school i took public transport for an hour each way so no big deal.

No, 20% of their decision is based off of your interview. The remainder is from your file (academics/experience).

http://www.cota.com/tsr

That site will be more helpful. It has an interactive map where you can at least find the stop numbers. The redesign doesn't go live until May so there are not finite schedules yet but you can see which buses in the future will run along the new routes. From a quick look, it's possible that the Woody Hayes stop may have been eliminated completely so the next closest COTA stop that is vet school adjacent is located down Olentangy River Road at Kinnear (it will be on the 31 line). That's only if you're looking to take a single bus to campus. Realistically, you'll probably have to transfer from COTA to CABS at one of various spots around the periphery of campus.

I had my interview the 6th and if you go back a couple pages I was so disheartened afterwards, posting on here about how I thought it went terribly. But I got accepted! My advice I think is to ignore the feeling you get when people seem uninterested in what you're saying. The interviewers I had were very nice, but it seemed like they were not thrilled with me, kind of answering "Mmm hmm okay" or "okay interesting" and writing things down. Leaving it at that. They'll be busy writing and may not even be looking at you while you're talking, but that doesn't mean they don't like what you're saying, I suppose!
I hope that makes sense? Good luck this weekend!!:highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
I had my interview the 6th and if you go back a couple pages I was so disheartened afterwards, posting on here about how I thought it went terribly. But I got accepted! My advice I think is to ignore the feeling you get when people seem uninterested in what you're saying. The interviewers I had were very nice, but it seemed like they were not thrilled with me, kind of answering "Mmm hmm okay" or "okay interesting" and writing things down. Leaving it at that. They'll be busy writing and may not even be looking at you while you're talking, but that doesn't mean they don't like what you're saying, I suppose!
I hope that makes sense? Good luck this weekend!!:highfive:

Do you remember which two interviewed you....that sounded exactly like my interview?

Do you remember which two interviewed you....that sounded exactly like my interview?

Dr. Niehaus and a blonde, 2nd yr student (I believe) I can't remember her name :oops:. I really liked both of them! Wish I wouldn't have spaced out so bad, didn't even send thank yous (but in my defense there was a section in some handout saying they were unnecessary, as people have mentioned earlier). I would be curious if anyone else had these two and their thoughts of how the interview went :)