Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I give them a call? My secondary file was complete on Nov 21st, 2016 but I still haven't received any word from them yet.

Ditto

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I give them a call? My secondary file was complete on Nov 21st, 2016 but I still haven't received any word from them yet.

I been complete since July. Calling them won't really so anything to change that.

Got a II today. I was complete on 10/13.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from the committee after signing and completing the forms for the background check?
Did you receive an email from Summit Security Services for Rowan's background check? I just got an email from them this morning and I just want to be sure I'm giving my social security number over to the right people! Haha

Congrats to those accepted! Anyone from Dec. 3rd interviews hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Dec.14th as well, waiting to hear back! Congrats man!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks man! appreciate it! Keep holding on! I'm sure your call is coming soon. I think it goes by when they interviewer can present to the adcoms and when they can call as well! My interviewer told me he had known for about a week but was only able to call me today!

Did you receive an email from Summit Security Services for Rowan's background check? I just got an email from them this morning and I just want to be sure I'm giving my social security number over to the right people! Haha
Just got an email from them as well.

Secondary application complete 11/18. No news about II. Does this mean it is a silent rejection?

Secondary application complete 11/18. No news about II. Does this mean it is a silent rejection?

Current first year here! Just wanted to give you some hope. Last year my application was complete at the end of September. I didn't get an interview invitation until the end of February. Basically everyone in my interview group (approx 5 people) ended up matriculating. I understand this process is super stressful and I'm hoping that telling you this helps! Good luck! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Current first year here! Just wanted to give you some hope. Last year my application was complete at the end of September. I didn't get an interview invitation until the end of February. Basically everyone in my interview group (approx 5 people) ended up matriculating. I understand this process is super stressful and I'm hoping that telling you this helps! Good luck! :)

You basically made my night, this did help, thanks!

I am very sad to say that I probably won't attend this Awesome school and I hope that my acceptance goes to one of you guys. :(

Received an email saying accepted students day is March 11!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a phone call for acceptance today!

Reactions: 1 users
hi! congrats to everyone accepted- cant wait to meet ya'll next year! i was accepted back in october but was wondering if there were any current students on here that could speak to the stress levels and school/life balance at Rowan. i got the impression at my interview that students are pretty noncompetitive and have some free time. is that true?! thanks!

hi! congrats to everyone accepted- cant wait to meet ya'll next year! i was accepted back in october but was wondering if there were any current students on here that could speak to the stress levels and school/life balance at Rowan. i got the impression at my interview that students are pretty noncompetitive and have some free time. is that true?! thanks!

well, stress level is always there, it's fair to stay its tonic. but yes it's fun! you just make the best of what you have :) welcome to rowan, study hard, play harder.

any II's recently? 3.6 GPA, 507 MCAT, solid ECs, research and shadowing hours, in-state and haven't heard a thing since being complete in early September.....

The stress level is there. You have to make sure that you are on top of your material everyday. Since the grading system is H, HP, P, F, and the average is generally in the 80's, students do study at least 5-6 hours a day. Classes are probably around on average, 4-5 hours a day. I can tell you that the exams are very fair and directly from the lectures.

It also depends because many students have already done MP or Postbacc's and have seen the material already, so it is easier for them to take these courses. Some even don't have to take some classes because they've taken it already before. I would say if you're going all in without any upper science-level background, be prepared to work pretty hard. It honestly depends on how fast you can understand/learn the material.

Yes, there is some free time. I generally get about a couple hours a week off. There's time to socialize with other students. Many of your exams will be on Friday, so you get the weekend off.

I also highly recommend doing the PreMatric Program in the summer (in school.) It will definitely help you in your first semester of medical school.

Last edited:
Did anyone get their acceptance letter in their email? Mine says my acceptance requires the pre-matriculation program

Did anyone get their acceptance letter in their email? Mine says my acceptance requires the pre-matriculation program
They first send you the acceptance package via email, which includes forms, acceptance letter and any other requirements that may pertain to each student individually (like required to participate in the pre matriculation program or achieving a certain GPA). 2 weeks laters, you should receive the acceptance letter by itself via snail mail.

@mathnerd88 @shisong thank you! i appreciate that feedback!

No prob! What's great about RowanSOM is the sense of family here. We have this BIG-little program where you get someone who's a second year who can guide you throughout the school year. They also give you all the materials you need electronically, so you don't even need to buy physical books.

Everyone tries their best to help you. RowanSOM also offers a tutoring program where the upper level classmen who have at least high passed the class to tutor you if you wish. There really is a good support system here.

Anyone else just heard silence from Rowan since completion? I was complete in mid July, 3.1uGPA, 3.9 SMP GPA at NJMS and 514 MCAT and nothing. I've emailed Dean Watkins twice, and gotten no response. I'm IS as well. I've gotten interviews at the other NJ MD schools, not sure why it's been so long for Rowan.

Anyone else just heard silence from Rowan since completion? I was complete in mid July, 3.1uGPA, 3.9 SMP GPA at NJMS and 514 MCAT and nothing. I've emailed Dean Watkins twice, and gotten no response. I'm IS as well. I've gotten interviews at the other NJ MD schools, not sure why it's been so long for Rowan.

I'd try calling their admissions number on the portal. I submitted my secondary early Jan, so I can't complain abt the silence

I'd try calling their admissions number on the portal. I submitted my secondary early Jan, so I can't complain abt the silence
Yeah I'll give that a try tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!

Interviewed 1/12, accepted 1/23. OOS. LizzyM=70. Good luck to all waiting!

Last edited: