Stony Brook or MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LakerWildcat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got into SB, wondering what are some things that people like about it.

I'm from Cali so close to home isn't a reason for either school.

Also, I have until 5 pm eastern tomorrow to decide. I know a lot about MCW, but not too much about SB.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Also, I have until 5 pm eastern tomorrow to decide. I know a lot about MCW, but not too much about SB.

Thanks!

I vote SB. SUNY SB is a pretty descent school. Its the best of the SUNY schools and its big on research. MRI was actually invented there. It actually attracts a lot of top faculties who don't want to live in Manhattan and a want to have a more relaxed lifestyle in long island.

One thing I don't like about SB is the location. Its really boring there, but not sure if Milwaukee is any better anyways. The good thing is its a short trip from Manhattan. You can either drive (you'd need a car in SB) or take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Manhattan. I hear the weather in Milwaukee is terrible; I'm not sure how it compares to NY.

And as far as cost goes, it is a public school, so you'd be paying 35k (probably less expensive than MCW anyways) for the first year and 18k for the next 3 years, a good bargain school.

As for the match list, I've seen SB's but not MCW. Don't let the SB match list fool you, because there are not too many people matching in CA. SUNY SB takes probably about 90% ny residents and most of the people want to match in NY. Its not that they couldn't match in CA, its just that they didn't desire to match NY instead.

Good luck on your decision.

I definitely vote stony brook. It is a research powerhouse that also teaches GREAT clinical skills. Their doctors at the teaching hospital are great; i did a lot of rotations there for my ALS class and was very impressed. Also, their simulation facilities are great; they have one of those mannequins that talks and reacts to medications and everything, they have tons of patient exam rooms and do a lot with standardized patients even in the first two years to get you really comfortable. It's in a suburb, not a city; that's true....but if you're comparing it to wisconsin it's certainly not the middle of nowhere; there's a lot to do around there. It's right on water and you can head to the beach, there's movies, dave and busters, a sports complex and ice skating rink and stuff nearby, and there's a train station right there that heads into new york city and it's not too long a ride, easy to get a little studying done on your way in. And it's easy to become a NYS resident, so you'll be paying in state tuition after your first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
And as far as cost goes, it is a public school, so you'd be paying 35k (probably less expensive than MCW anyways) for the first year and 18k for the next 3 years, a good bargain school.
MCW for OOS is $36K/year. In-state is $31K/year.

Hey all,

Thanks!

Well, MCW and SB are both in suburban areas so you wont have to worry about hitting parked cars while backing out of an alley. Plus, SB is cheaper and close to NYC.

Haha,

Well I decided on MCW.

Hope my withdrawal helps others that want to go to Stony Brook!

Outta curiosity, what were your basic stats that got you into SB?

Hey all,

Thanks!

Stony Brook = Extremely top notch school.

bth
Touro

What are the hours like at Stony Brook? Is it an 8-5 school or more like 8-12 for the first two years?

Good choice. I decided on mcw because of all the research opportunities it seems they have. They seem to be a really top notch school, for research and patient care. see you in the fall

in the same situation this year. SB or MCW? any additional/new thoughts on this? which would you choose?

SB: cheaper tuition (after getting NY residency), near NYC, small class size

MCW: nicer facilities, more expensive and brand new curriculum this year, medium class size

both are suburban and students seem happy in both places. anyone know how they compare in board scores?

in the same situation this year. SB or MCW? any additional/new thoughts on this? which would you choose?

SB: cheaper tuition (after getting NY residency), near NYC, small class size

MCW: nicer facilities, more expensive and brand new curriculum this year, medium class size

both are suburban and students seem happy in both places. anyone know how they compare in board scores?

Just got in SB today.

No idea what to choose. The SB facility was pretty nice though. I have a friend who goes there that really likes it.

Dr. Van Nostrand???

Status
Not open for further replies.