Tufts vs NJMS vs Robert Wood Johnson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you attend?

• Tufts

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • NJMS

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Robert Wood Johnson

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

afr0am3rican

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input? I'm in-state in NJ, for what it's worth.

Money is the only thing keeping me from Tufts, I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tufts isn't good enough to justify the cost imo.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Any input? I'm in-state in NJ, for what it's worth.

Money is the only thing keeping me from Tufts, I think.

Robert Wood, in state tuition and great opportunities there. Stay in-state, it's worth the reduced cost.

NJMS and RWJ have both merged with Rutgers. I would choose NJMS because I believe the clinical training to be stronger there.

all paths lead to an MD and the education will be great at all three places. I'd say choose the place where you will be most financially secure in the long-run. Congrats on a successful app season!

I know that a lot of people will give RWJ and Tufts more credit than NJMS... but NJMS packs a big punch for a "no name" school. This is why I, as a NJ resident, would pick NJMS over Tufts and RWJ (but this is not to say that the other schools are worse in any sense):

-The Dean of NJMS told us that NJMS has the second highest rate of getting students into Neurosurgery Residencies... after John Hopkins and tied with Columbia... that speaks a lot for a public school like NJMS.

-Newark makes it one of the best Trauma centers in NJ. So (it seems to me that) you'll get a lot more clinical experience at NJMS than Tufts or RWJ (Tufts might be too big to gain as much hands on experience as NJMS and RWJ's hospital is separated in space from its medical school)

-The current president of the AMA is a Neurosurgery doc/prof at NJMS... the recent student president is at (or graduated?) from NJMS (So in the medical world, beyond the premedical world, NJMS is a significant presence... their recent match lists have been ridiculously good for a NE public school, to some even better than RWJ)

-The medical school and hospital are connected... integrated clinical experiences even in the first year (RWJ students don't get clinical experience till a little bit later... at least I was told this on my interview day... again RWJ medical school and hospital are located in two different locations).

-The class size is decent... 160ish (RWJ will give you smaller class sizes... but Tufts is way too big 200 students (at least for me).

I'm just rehashing all of the reasons they gave us at the admitted student lunch.
Of course all three schools are great and you are lucky to be choosing between those three! Good luck!

Last edited:
Plus if you are interested in neurosurgery, I know that for 4 years straight NJMS students received 1 of 20 summer research fellowships with the AANS as one of the only state schools on the list.

you mean your comment? totally.
haha comedian too - shame it doesnt even make remote sense

Writing off a program solely based on location is a bit naive esp when comparing Newark to New Brunswick.

Should one skip Hopkins cos Baltimore is a bit sketch at times?

Grow up - you are taking such an immature approach

haha comedian too - shame it doesnt even make remote sense

Writing off a program solely based on location is a bit naive esp when comparing Newark to New Brunswick.

Should one skip Hopkins cos Baltimore is a bit sketch at times?

Grow up - you are taking such an immature approach

No, it isn't. Location is pretty much right up there in reasons. Not to mention we are arguing over something ridiculous and purely individual. (And yes, I would skip Hopkins in a heartbeat.. won't even look at it).

Love the fall back 'grow up', classic.

Newark isnt the best of areas, but thats what makes it a great clinical experience. Its the sad truth of this world. The majority of 'great nationally renowned hospitals' are in horrible and dangerous areas. Newark has a ton of charity care patients, the majority of which end up at University Hospital (NJMS hospital) because other hospitals in the area dont want them. This means that med students get to do a lot more than they might at hospitals with more private patients. A surgeon who interviewed me at RWJ looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about surgical experience during the first two years of school. Whereas I regularly hear of students getting to do lots of hands-on clinical stuff during the first two years of NJMS.

I understand not wanting to live in Newark. But i would personally live in Newark or Baltimore in a hearbeat if it meant getting up close and personal from day one.

Actually, yes. I skipped Hopkins because I had no desire to live in Baltimore. I'm pretty sure a lot of people feel the same...

Sorry but I just dont understand this mentality. Sure its dangerous in relation to other areas of the country. But how often do you hear about medical students being injured at these institutions? Medical schools in bad areas realize that they are in bad areas, and will take measures to protect their students.

Think of it this way - you really can't go wrong anywhere you go. Each school will have its positives and negatives, but they will all lead you to the same place in the end. Personally, after 10 years of working in an emergency room in New Jersey, the one advice every resident/attending gave me was go to the place that was the most affordable. If you have the means to pay an additional $80,000/year for your education, then Tufts is a great choice and you'll probably be ecstatic. Personally, I was hoping for one of the two state schools for this monetary reason and was lucky enough to be accepted to Robert Wood Johnson for 2017.

RWJMS & NJMS - I have a ton of friends and colleagues that have graduated from both - with many of those winding up in great residencies and fellowships across the country. Each school will benefit from the upcoming merger with Rutgers, and each has a very strong faculty with great clinical experience. I do think it's naive to say that location does not matter. Most of my friends who have attended NJMS decided to move to some of the surrounding towns by MSIII and MSIV (Hoboken, Montclair, etc.). There's nothing wrong with that - and in fact, that may make NJMS even more appealing. Personally, I'm looking forward to the added benefit of being near a college campus (Rutgers - New Brunswick) and not in an inner city. I personally wouldn't choose a medical school because it has more charity care cases and more less income patients. Not that it's a bad thing - but it just wouldn't be my tipping point.

I guess I would just say - go visit both schools again - make your pro/con list - and then go with your gut. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.