UCLA Wait List Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovebear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i thought we could all comfort each other on this thread. good luck to all of us :luck: i heard last year had looots of movement!

Members don't see this ad.

haha you beat me to it. i was thinking of starting a thread too. i'm really hoping for waitlist movement.

speaking of which, i just called the admissions office today and they confirmed they had just received my waitlist acceptance......

let's hope for lots of movement this yr! :xf: :love:

YAY! I called to to confirm, more as an excuse to call than anything...

I'm still torn 50/50 between UCLA and my one acceptance and honestly don't know what I'd do if I received a phone call and had to make a snap decision.

Good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
so your deciding between ucla and cornell? that would be a hard last minute switch cuz its across the country. ayayay

I'm still torn 50/50 between UCLA and my one acceptance and honestly don't know what I'd do if I received a phone call and had to make a snap decision.

Good luck everybody!

Good luck everybody!
If you are Californian I see no result for you to pay OOS tuition and attent cornell.

If you are Californian I see no result for you to pay OOS tuition and attent cornell.

Huh?

Cornell is not a state funded institution. IS and OOS tuition are identical.

That is a difficult decision. I personally LOVE NYC and Cornell is an absolutely amazing facility. If you are remotely interested in academic medicine, I would recommend Cornell.

Oh....and...spelling....grammar check...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Huh?

That is a difficult decision. I personally LOVE NYC and Cornell is an absolutely amazing facility. If you are remotely interested in academic medicine, I would recommend Cornell.

Oh....and...spelling....grammer check...:rolleyes:
ha...you mean "Grammar?"..nicely done

so i thought we could all comfort each other on this thread. good luck to all of us :luck: i heard last year had looots of movement!
lol gl ilovebear. Up until a few weeks ago i never even knew we were in the same boat. Im for sure going to ucd now barring WL movement at UCLA. hope we both get in. :)

has anyone searched through threads from past years and seen/counted how much waitlist movement there generally is? ...and perhaps if there were any posts with a firmer grasp on the number of people actually waitlisted? we all keep reading way different numbers on the main UCLA thread for this yr.

has anyone searched through threads from past years and seen/counted how much waitlist movement there generally is? ...and perhaps if there were any posts with a firmer grasp on the number of people actually waitlisted? we all keep reading way different numbers on the main UCLA thread for this yr.
sounds like you just volunteered to look through last years thread and do this :smuggrin:

Huh?

Oh....and...spelling....grammar check...:rolleyes:

Yeah I *LOVE* NYC and I I figure this is going to be my only chance to live there. I'm from LA and plan on going back there for residency so UCLA obviously would make that a non-issue. But...I really loved Cornell. I guess if I don't get any grants/scholarships there I'll start getting aggressive about the UCLA waitlist since the price difference is around 100k over 4 years and would be hard to justify if it came down to that. But no point worrying about this now! More than likely it'll be a non-issue :)

Members don't see this ad :)
so far, I have found the following. I still have like 10 pages to go in the 08-09 thread.

2004-2005 thread.

Notes: apparently, this year a LOT of students accepted their offers from UCLA and there was not much WL movement. I found this:
"From the UCLA Office:
between 1/2 and 1/3 of people waitlisted get an acceptance, depending on the year. last year was closer to 1/3 from what i can tell. They start looking and taking people off the waitlist in late may."

Also, notifcations were made after the May15th date, with people getting on the hold list and waitlist on may27th and later. Some straight acceptances in early June with some people coming off the WL between early June and early July.

2008-2009 cycle
Based on 2007 admissions data, they accepted 232 students overall, or 33% of the students interviewed. Pretty much regardless of in state or out of state, female, or minority, the stats kinda linger between 0.33 and 0.305 so yeah, maybe slightly less than 1 in 3 odds but still not awful.

more: "He [Ian] said that every year they accept 200 people before the waitlist and about 100 accept the offer and matriculate.

They then fill the remaining 20-30 spots with waitlist people who come from a list of around 100 people.

They don't consider the list till May, and once on the list, everyone is reevaluated. Our current ranks are erased. They take people off the list up until late July. He said don't get your hopes up since majority don't get in off the waitlist, but I could have told him that given my chance is now about 25%."

then some conflicting info: "So I went to the admissions office and they said that they have approximately 200 people on the waitlist and UPTO 50% get off the waitlist, but it is different every year. There is a second review done after May 15th, and then the additional offers are called up..."

2003-2004 thread
People last year got the nod between May 20th or so and very late July, with most acceptances coming mid june and mid july. There sounds to be between 100 and 200 people on the list, with the majority of the waitlisters getting put on the list in april. there was some speculation about march waitlisters having better luck in years past, i dont know if this is true.

Copied from 2008-2009

"People accepted to UCLA from waitlist for the 2008 (so from the 2007-2008 thread) entering class:

Mbekweni: accepted from waitlist on may 20th

ACD: accepted on may 27th, interviewed first week of April (no waitlist), withdrew

starshine3: accepted on may 27th, (was waitlisted)

GalaxySystem: accepted on may 30th, (was waitlisted)

axeon123: accepted on may 30th, (was waitlisted), interviewed on Jan 3.

ilovebagels: accepted on may 30th, (was waitlisted), interviewed on Jan 8.

Doc Andy: accepted on June 11th (interviewed 11/15, waitlisted 3/18)

Cowgirl in CA: accepted on June 13th (was waitlisted)

So at least 8 people were accepted off the waitlist. Obviously we need to multipley this number by some coefficient because not everybody who was wailited and then accepted posted on SDN, but if this year is anything like last year, we shoudl not expect much waitlist movement. It's also likely that waitlist will move from May 15th to June 15th,
much like last year."

this courtesy of a phone call in april 2009:

"so i called earlier this week asking about the waitlist movement, and the answer i received was 50%. i asked again if it was "up to 50%" and the answer again was "we take about 50%"..."

another person asking ian about acceptance % off waitlist: "i asked him how many they take ffrom the list, he said 20-40%. "

regarding when we could hear good news regarding UCLA: "I went to the office today, and one of the staff members told me that people should start recieving acceptances off of the WL between June 1st and 30th... after that, one's chances of getting off of the WL as "slimmer"..."

last year, i counted 5 people receiving acceptances in the mail between 5/30 and 6/1

then, 4 more from 6/3 to 6/8

and then 4 more from mid june to about the end of july.

So total that posted on SDN from WL to Acceptance: 13.....pretty solid number IMO...especially when you consider that likely a majority of applicants arent actually on SDN

Copied from 2008-2009

"People accepted to UCLA from waitlist for the 2008 (so from the 2007-2008 thread) entering class:

ACD: accepted on may 27th, interviewed first week of April (no waitlist), withdrew

So at least 8 people were accepted off the waitlist. Obviously we need to multipley this number by some coefficient because not everybody who was wailited and then accepted posted on SDN, but if this year is anything like last year, we shoudl not expect much waitlist movement. It's also likely that waitlist will move from May 15th to June 15th,
much like last year."

"so i called earlier this week asking about the waitlist movement, and the answer i received was 50%. i asked again if it was "up to 50%" and the answer again was "we take about 50%"..."

another person asking ian about acceptance % off waitlist: "i asked him how many they take ffrom the list, he said 20-40%. "

regarding when we could hear good news regarding UCLA: "I went to the office today, and one of the staff members told me that people should start recieving acceptances off of the WL between June 1st and 30th... after that, one's chances of getting off of the WL as "slimmer"..."

last year, i counted 5 people receiving acceptances in the mail between 5/30 and 6/1

So total that posted on SDN from WL to Acceptance: 13.....pretty solid number IMO...especially when you consider that likely a majority of applicants arent actually on SDN

Strong work. ;)

Copied from 2008-2009

much like last year."

in case this post is confusing, the first part stats that 8 people were taking off the waitlist who reported on SDN for the entering class of 2008 and 13 people taking off the waitlist who reported on SDN for the entering class of 2009

does anyone know if ucla over accepts? or do the accept the class size and as ppl withdraw, they give acceptances?

in case this post is confusing, the first part stats that 8 people were taking off the waitlist who reported on SDN for the entering class of 2008 and 13 people taking off the waitlist who reported on SDN for the entering class of 2009

That is a decent amount...if you consider the amount of people accepted from the waitlist who do not read SDN, and the amount of people who simply do not post. Bravo. :thumbup:

That is a decent amount...if you consider the amount of people accepted from the waitlist who do not read SDN, and the amount of people who simply do not post. Bravo. :thumbup:

i agree. i would venture to say that no more than 10% at most of applicants are on SDN....though to counter that, it MIGHT be reasonable to say (not for sure, going out on a limb here) that those on SDN by nature of being members and active, may be more dedicated/competitive simply by going out and actually finding this site. i can say that none of my other friends have. take that with a grain of salt.

IMO, pretty solid movement.

i did, i sent 2 updates and a new lor lol, not that any of it will probably matter but at least i can say i tried. Didnt you get into drew btw?

No I haven't heard from Drew at all. I also sent in 2 updates and a new LOR....I'm hoping for early movement :xf:

how come ucla's class of 2014 facebook group is soooo small compared to other schools? does that mean not many ppl have decided for sure on la? cuz i sure hope so!

how come ucla's class of 2014 facebook group is soooo small compared to other schools? does that mean not many ppl have decided for sure on la? cuz i sure hope so!
lol wishful thinking:p. There were over 100 people at 2nd look im sure fb doesnt mean much :laugh:. Though hoping still!

You have a good point. That is the reason I have not joined a certain FB group (not UCLA....ggrrrr).

Second look means nothing. I attended second look to a medical school and will most likely attend a different medical school. I went to further shape my opinion. Not to demonstrate my undying love for the medical school.

Let's hope for substantial WL movement. :love:

lol wishful thinking:p. There were over 100 people at 2nd look im sure fb doesnt mean much :laugh:. Though hoping still!

fb doesn't mean much? i thought we were only truly friends or people were only officially in a relationship IF and ONLY IF it were on facebook. lol :rolleyes:
it MUST be true. simply must be. haha.

here's to hoping for LOTS and LOTS of waitlist movement. :xf: :love:

fb doesn't mean much? i thought we were only truly friends or people were only officially in a relationship IF and ONLY IF it were on facebook. lol :rolleyes:
it MUST be true. simply must be. haha.

here's to hoping for LOTS and LOTS of waitlist movement. :xf: :love:
youre right forgive me :laugh:. Reminds me of that southpark episode, so classic. Anyways gl J, if i were an adcomm id take you just from your obsessive looking through old threads and getting those numbers. Now tahts commitment!!:smuggrin: Hope we find out were gonna be classmates before the end of the month!:)

there's also students from Drew and UCR program at 2nd look so that could mean even less ppl have been accepted to geffen

youre right forgive me :laugh:. Reminds me of that southpark episode, so classic. Anyways gl J, if i were an adcomm id take you just from your obsessive looking through old threads and getting those numbers. Now tahts commitment!!:smuggrin: Hope we find out were gonna be classmates before the end of the month!:)

GL to you as well.

And i'll drink to that bolded statement! cheers!

cheers.gif

there's also students from Drew and UCR program at 2nd look so that could mean even less ppl have been accepted to geffen

dermda, have u decided between ucsf or ucla yet?

hopefully lots of ppl withdrew and we get lots of movement this year :D

hopefully lots of ppl withdrew and we get lots of movement this year :D
one can only hope :). Btw does ucla rank their WL? I cant find my interview day packet, but i think they are unranked but rank after may15th? Correct me if im wrong. This next month of waiting is going to be :scared:

one can only hope :). Btw does ucla rank their WL? I cant find my interview day packet, but i think they are unranked but rank after may15th? Correct me if im wrong. This next month of waiting is going to be :scared:

yes, your right. they rank after may 15.

thats weird. maybe its not ranked yet. because i called the office last week and they said they rank it after may 15. oh welll......we will just have to see what happens the next few weeks. GOOD LUCK everyone!

i just called admissions office and they said its not ranked and that there are about 200 people on the waitlist right now

200 people makes me more:scared:....

thats weird. maybe its not ranked yet. because i called the office last week and they said they rank it after may 15. oh welll......we will just have to see what happens the next few weeks. GOOD LUCK everyone!
id assume it wont be ranked till at least next week maybe 2 weeks from now? Its gotta take time to see who withdrew, who wants to be on the WL still, and then go through the process of ranking.

Just called, they said the first offers should start going out at the end of the month. Good luck to us!

Just called, they said the first offers should start going out at the end of the month. Good luck to us!
thanks!! but two more weeks ugh when does the waiting end in this process :laugh:. I assume they call you? Or do they just send letters and update status?

Elijah05 said:
thanks!! but two more weeks ugh when does the waiting end in this process :laugh:. I assume they call you? Or do they just send letters and update status?

Looking at last years thread, I think they update your status, you get the appected students checklist and a letter in the mail. So I'm guessing that a phone call is probably only going to go out towards the end of summer when things are gonna start cutting too close.

Looking at last years thread, I think they update your status, you get the appected students checklist and a letter in the mail. So I'm guessing that a phone call is probably only going to go out towards the end of summer when things are gonna start cutting too close.
thanks. so its checking websites and the mail...anyone reminded of when we 1st started this process last year? :smuggrin:

thanks. so its checking websites and the mail...anyone reminded of when we 1st started this process last year? :smuggrin:

Yeah I can't believe that was a year ago! I think at the time I was gray-haired and about 15 pounds overweight from all the stress.

And then there was a period of calm... and now I'm starting to feel stressed again. Nothing like last year though :D

I figured this list may be helpful at some point.

Name, IS or OOS, Int date, wait list date

islandprincess, OOS, Dec 4th, Mar 12th

islandprincess, OOS, 12/4 int, 3/12 wl
Kalpit210,IS, 3/10 int, 4/21 wl

Islandprincess, OOS, 12/4 int, 3/12 wl
Elijah05, IS, 11/12 int, 3/12 wl

Elijah05, IS, 11/12 int, 3/12 wl
Pri84, IS, 01/20 int, 3/12 wl