UCSF vs. UCLA vs. Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm new here, so hi!

i have a question about the schools i mentioned in my thread topic. i'm an oos'er and would like to choose just one or two CA schools to apply to, so i was wondering if people who go to these schools or who know a lot about them could offer me advice on how each school is unique and distinct from the other.

i have a strong interest in infectious diseases, under-served populations in healthcare, and pediatrics if that helps people out.

thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in serving the underserved community, you might like to check out the UCLA Drew program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I go to UCLA.

I think UCLA fits you best. First, they do not give in-state applicants an advantage over oos applicants. Second, you could choose to apply to special programs within UCLA, such as Drew (focus on underserved) or PRIME (dual degree MD with an MBA or MPH).

Disclaimer: I go to UCLA.

I think UCLA fits you best. First, they do not give in-state applicants an advantage over oos applicants. Second, you could choose to apply to special programs within UCLA, such as Drew (focus on underserved) or PRIME (dual degree MD with an MBA or MPH).

the same applies to UCSF

the same applies to UCSF

No, SF favors instate applicants and does not have a program like Drew. They do have a dual degree program though like PRIME.

from the ucsf website:
"Does UCSF School of Medicine give preference to California residents?

Yes. The Committee on Admissions gives preference to California residents, who make up about 80 percent of the entering class annually."

thanks guys, keep the advice coming. i need all that i can get! :)

I mean, I think UCLA is the best fit but they are all great schools, so why not apply to 2 or 3 of them. It will cost some more but in the long run, what is a few hundred dollars that might affect 4 years and probably longer of your life.

I could be completely wrong about this, but don't people think the poster would have the best chance of getting into Stanford as an OOSer? Does UCSF or UCLA accept many OOSers?

I'm from California, so I never really researched this, but I thought UCSF and UCLA heavily favors CA residents to a point where it is almost impossible to get in as an OOSer?

I could be completely wrong about this, but don't people think the poster would have the best chance of getting into Stanford as an OOSer? Does UCSF or UCLA accept many OOSers?

I'm from California, so I never really researched this, but I thought UCSF and UCLA heavily favors CA residents to a point where it is almost impossible to get in as an OOSer?

I think both generally have about 20% of their class from out of state, and UCLA says that they don't give preference to CA residents.

That is correct, Stanford and UCLA wouldn't put an OOSer at a disadvantage.

i'm new here, so hi!

i have a question about the schools i mentioned in my thread topic. i'm an oos'er and would like to choose just one or two CA schools to apply to, so i was wondering if people who go to these schools or who know a lot about them could offer me advice on how each school is unique and distinct from the other.

i have a strong interest in infectious diseases, under-served populations in healthcare, and pediatrics if that helps people out.

With your interests, have you considered USC? UCLA and UCSF also seem like decent fits, though both are hard to get into, UCSF esp out of state.

i'm new here, so hi!

Uhh, I would apply to USC. I think that fits what you are looking for exactly...not to mention it is an Amazing school and it has one of the best hospitals to do rotations at.

Of course the tuition is pretty high (although they have decent fin. aid)
and it is somewhat of a commuter campus (though you can live on campus in a dorm or just off campus in a pretty bad area if you want)

to the OP, why limit yourself? why not just apply to all three?

i hope your credentials are stellar. :thumbup:

i'm just concerned that being an OOS'er that I shouldn't apply to too many CA schools (I'm from VA). my stats are competitive for these schools, it's demographics that i'm worried about. so, i was wondering if people who know a lot about these schools could give me some advice. if you had to pick one to go to, which one would it be and why?

i'm just concerned that being an OOS'er that I shouldn't apply to too many CA schools (I'm from VA). my stats are competitive for these schools, it's demographics that i'm worried about. so, i was wondering if people who know a lot about these schools could give me some advice. if you had to pick one to go to, which one would it be and why?

well in terms of being an OOS'er.......UCLA "says" they show no preference for in-state kids and Stanford is a private school. UCSF says they prefer in-state kids. Soooooo, if you are trying to be strategic, I'd go with UCLA and Stanford.

You'll naturally get more underserved population exposure and experience at UCSF and UCLA b/c of the surrounding communities/demographics...SF and LA.

OP, I was in exactly the same situation as you last year. I already had WAY too many schools on my list and had to cut down CA schools to one in order to not blow my life savings on secondary applications. I thought stanford would probably be great, but sounded WAY too research oriented for my liking, or for them to ever accept me. I also thought I"d like UCSF a lot and I almost put them on my list until I looked at a bunch of mdapps and realized that OOS people have almost no chance. I Initially didn't like the idea of los angeles, but I threw it on my list because they give OOS'ers a fair shake. Somehow I was accepted there. Who knows what they're looking for though.

UCLA is a SICK school in a great location. It's amazing there. Plus they have a great undergrad campus right next to the medical school which isn't available at UCSF.

If you can only pick one to apply to, pick UCLA unless maybe you really are a research heavy applicant and would like Stanford. Don't bother with UCSF, it's an almost guaranteed presecondary rejection.

Status
Not open for further replies.