West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any hotel recommendations? Trying to be as close as possible

I'd stay at any of the hotels that are near the I-64 exit. They are all close to the school. I stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites. Super 8 is across the street if you want a cheap room. You could also try AirBnB.com (a couple students have rooms) if you're feeling adventurous. If you want to go ham slice, you could always get a room at the Greenbrier Resort

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received an "accept with contingency"?

I did. Check if you have fulfilled all requirements. I had a 3 hr behavioral deficiency, was fortunate to have one of my theology courses fulfill the requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did. Check if you have fulfilled all requirements. I had a 3 hr behavioral deficiency, was fortunate to have one of my theology courses fulfill the requirement.
I'm currently finishing up physics and biochem, that must be the issue!

I have an interview next month, what is the best hotel deal I can find

II today, but I won't be attending. Good luck!

About how long is it taking for people to find out about an interview? It seems like it is all over the place from these posts.

About how long is it taking for people to find out about an interview? It seems like it is all over the place from these posts.
I found out within a week of my final letter being turned in. After the letters were uploaded to the portal, I was called about an interview within a few hours!

I turned in mine about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet though too...

Members don't see this ad :)
Was deferred for about two months than decision pending and back to deferred. This is all pre-interview. Is this most likely a silent rejection?

Does everyone's applicant status screen have "Interview Date:" before their application is actually reviewed? I swear it wasn't there before. I could just be going crazy from all the times I refreshed this damn screen.

Does everyone's applicant status screen have "Interview Date:" before their application is actually reviewed? I swear it wasn't there before. I could just be going crazy from all the times I refreshed this damn screen.
It was there from the time I submitted. I just got an II last week but I got an email the day before saying that they added my letters to my file. So if you get that email it means you're getting an II.

I got that "Applicant Checklist Physician Letter" email today. I checked and it looks like all my LORs were uploaded today. I'm confused because the email says that if they were sent electronically (which they were) that they wouldn't be uploaded until an interview was scheduled and confirmed. But I haven't heard anything about an interview yet.

I got that "Applicant Checklist Physician Letter" email today. I checked and it looks like all my LORs were uploaded today. I'm confused because the email says that if they were sent electronically (which they were) that they wouldn't be uploaded until an interview was scheduled and confirmed. But I haven't heard anything about an interview yet.

When you get those emails about letters updated to your file you'll receive and II within a few days!

Sent my primary in at like 1am, got the secondary this morning and just submitted.. time to play the waiting game I guess

I received an II a couple of days after getting that email! I think everyone who gets that email has also gotten an II so congrats! :)
Thanks for that, I don't want to count my chickens! I'm looking forward to interviewing if given the chance.

For everyone who was accepted and planning to go to wvsom i noticed there is a fb group for the class of 2021 already

I hope the interview to acceptance ratio is high!

Can any students speak to the quality of third year rotations? I see CAMC as part of the SWC. I assume it is the ~800 bed hospital in which case would be pretty good for third year(unless it's a branch?) Does it usually go to lottery? And how are the other sites? I am seriously considering this acceptance because on Interview day this school truly did blow me away. Just wanted to inquire as to the quality of clinical education students receive here. Thanks!

Can any students speak to the quality of third year rotations? I see CAMC as part of the SWC. I assume it is the ~800 bed hospital in which case would be pretty good for third year(unless it's a branch?) Does it usually go to lottery? And how are the other sites? I am seriously considering this acceptance because on Interview day this school truly did blow me away. Just wanted to inquire as to the quality of clinical education students receive here. Thanks!
On my interview they said the entire class has a meeting for rotations so that they can sort out who goes where without conflict otherwise it's lottery based.

Hey for anyone still waiting for an interview, just keep some hope. I submitted my secondary 9/12 and didn't here anything until this past Wednesday. I'm oos with 3.5 sgpa and 3.6cgpa and 504 mcat (bio section 124). Fortunately I was accepted to my in state school so will not be attending. Just wanted to give you some hope an invite might be coming. Good luck, WV was one of my top picks.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I do remember them saying that as well. They made it seem that it was not a "cut-throat" process. I guess my question is really asking what are the quality of the rotations given the limited number of available seats at the larger hospitals. For instance, I would imagine that CAMC goes to the lottery given the nature of its rotations and popularity. Really looking for current third or fourth year students' opinions. Thanks!

On my interview they said the entire class has a meeting for rotations so that they can sort out who goes where without conflict otherwise it's lottery based.

Last edited:
Got an II two days ago, complete mid September. GPA: 3.33 MCAT: 511
Pretty darn hyped!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes I do remember them saying that as well. They made it seem that it was not a "cut-throat" process. I guess my question is really asking what are the quality of the rotations given the limited number of available seats at the larger hospitals. For instance, I would imagine that CAMC goes to the lottery given the nature of its rotations and popularity. Really looking for current third or fourth year students' opinions. Thanks!

Current third year here.

So WVSOM's clinical rotations are far from perfect, but the nice thing is they are established. WVSOM does something called "statewide campus" for third year clinical rotations. During your second year, you choose a region to rotate in for your third year. Within that region, you choose a "base site" hospital where you will do a majority of your rotations. For example, I'm in the southwest region and my base site hospital is Our Lady Bellefonte Hospital. Most of the regions you can choose from are in WV. There are some base site hospitals that are outside of the state (one in New York, one in Ashland, one in Ohio, etc.). Check out the link for a picture description:

http://www.wvsom.edu/Academics/swc-sites

If you click on a region, it will list all the possible hospitals you can choose as a base site. For fourth year, you can either continue at your statewide campus base site, or go do rotations anywhere in the nation. I plan on doing most of my rotations back in MN fourth year. The only caveat with that is the paperwork involved trying to set up an agreement to rotate at a different hospital.

WVSOM has a preceptor model for rotations. I think most DO schools are like this. This has advantages and disadvantages compared to our MD counterparts. The advantage is you get 1 on 1 treatment and can be right with the physician. You aren't behind 3 residents, and 3 fourth year medical students. However, the disadvantage is that preceptors can be either really really good or really really bad. Luckily, my preceptors have all been pretty good, but there will be some that just aren't as motivated to teach. I personally have been enjoying third year rotations and have been learning a ton.

I can't speak on the quality of every region as I am only in one region. I have not heard any complaints from classmates in other regions. All in all, I think rotations at WVSOM are generally good. But, YOU need to be motivated and want to learn. If you do rotations at a small hospital, you need to go home and learn about diseases you probably won't see at a small hospital. If you aren't motivated and want someone to hold your hand, rotations might be tough.

A little more on the lottery. The whole process may or may not be stressful for you. It depends how bad you want to go to a particular site. If you are flexible, and have an open mind about the process, it will be just fine. We did have some students that were very upset the night of site selection because they were 100% banking on getting this particular site and didn't get it. Just be flexible and have a few options in mind. Sites wax and wane in popularity every year, so it's hard to say which site will go to lottery. It really depends on the dynamics of the class. For example, if you have a large number of students who are from the NE United States, the Eastern region will be popular.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the extensive write up. Can you speak to anything about the GTA program?

I have a few friends doing it right now. It's great if you like to teach and want to build up your resume. However, you delay graduation a year. You get paid to be a GTA, but not nearly as much as you would as an attending so essentially you lose a year worth of salary too.

I'm signed up to interview mid January, are the odds of being accepted at this point significantly lower? How much does being out of state hurt my odds? Also huge thanks to the current students sharing great info

I'm signed up to interview mid January, are the odds of being accepted at this point significantly lower? How much does being out of state hurt my odds? Also huge thanks to the current students sharing great info

I would think you'll be okay at the time! I'm OOS and got in this past week and they take quite a few OOS people so don't worry

I'm OOS and interviewed mid-January. Was accepted first week of February. It's not as good as interviewing earlier, but you still have a decent chance!

Interviewing 12/19 :) So excited and nervous. If it helps anyone on this forum, I submitted my primary in late July, secondary/application complete in late September, and just got the interview invite last week- So about a month in between each step. 3.5 undergrad GPA, 4.0 grad GPA, and a 23 MCAT (I know I'll get some flack for this one but I really want to give someone with a lower score some hope for a possible II). Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing 12/19 :) So excited and nervous. If it helps anyone on this forum, I submitted my primary in late July, secondary/application complete in late September, and just got the interview invite last week- So about a month in between each step. 3.5 undergrad GPA, 4.0 grad GPA, and a 23 MCAT (I know I'll get some flack for this one but I really want to give someone with a lower score some hope for a possible II). Good luck everyone!
I actually have similar stats and got an II as well. Definitely possible!

I just checked my WVSOM portal and my secondary status changed from "Under Review" to "Decision Pending". Is this a good sign? My LOR's haven't been marked as received yet.

Got accepted with c-3.35 s-3.47 25 MCAT

Have faith everyone

Reactions: 4 users
Can any current students speak to what activities students do with the (small amount) free time they have? I found Lewisburg to be very charming and beautiful, but am wondering what people do for fun or to socialize? Thanks

Can any current students speak to what activities students do with the (small amount) free time they have? I found Lewisburg to be very charming and beautiful, but am wondering what people do for fun or to socialize? Thanks

If you are an outdoorsy type person, the amount of things to do are endless. I personally am an avid cyclist and runner. Greenbrier county is one of the best places I've had the pleasure to ride. My wife and I enjoy hiking and camping on the Greenbrier River Trail.

If you want shopping, head to Roanoke, VA. Otherwise, classmates often got together for a house party on weekends or we would get together downtown at the Asylum (they have a volleyball court now and an outside deck) or the pub. If you have money to spend, you could get a membership at the Greenbrier Resort and do all the fun activities they have at the resort.

Clubs also put on events that people can attend. Sports med puts on intramural sports throughout the year (football, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc.). Annnd if you weren't doing those things, you were studying. I didn't feel like I was ever particularly bored.

If you are an outdoorsy type person, the amount of things to do are endless. I personally am an avid cyclist and runner. Greenbrier county is one of the best places I've had the pleasure to ride. My wife and I enjoy hiking and camping on the Greenbrier River Trail.

If you want shopping, head to Roanoke, VA. Otherwise, classmates often got together for a house party on weekends or we would get together downtown at the Asylum (they have a volleyball court now and an outside deck) or the pub. If you have money to spend, you could get a membership at the Greenbrier Resort and do all the fun activities they have at the resort.

Clubs also put on events that people can attend. Sports med puts on intramural sports throughout the year (football, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc.). Annnd if you weren't doing those things, you were studying. I didn't feel like I was ever particularly bored.
Awesome thank you again for all of your great insight! Is there an accepted students day at WVSOM by chance?

I interviewed last Monday and I just got accepted yesterday!

Reactions: 5 users
I just checked my WVSOM portal and my secondary status changed from "Under Review" to "Decision Pending". Is this a good sign? My LOR's haven't been marked as received yet.
Im in the same boat. My letters were sent with my transcripts on AACOMAS too.