West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed on 12/5. Checked status today and it says "Accept Applicant". On past threads people have said this means an acceptance. 1 day later? Is that for real?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed on 12/5. Checked status today and it says "Accept Applicant". On past threads people have said this means an acceptance. 1 day later? Is that for real?
Sounds like you can change your signature. Congrats!!!!!!

I guess you weren't doing anything wrong after all, eh? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
My status changed too!!! But I haven't gotten an email yet. Is this a sick joke or am I just not patient enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!! I am interviewing on Monday 12/12. Any last minute advice you can give me? How did you prepare for your interview? I have been rejected by some of the same schools as you, so I am hoping to have success at WVSOM. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sounds like you can change your signature. Congrats!!!!!!

I guess you weren't doing anything wrong after all, eh? ;)
Well I changed how I answered questions for this interview. But thanks!

Congratulations!! I am interviewing on Monday 12/12. Any last minute advice you can give me? How did you prepare for your interview? I have been rejected by some of the same schools as you, so I am hoping to have success at WVSOM. Do you mind sharing your stats?
3.4 3.48 503. It's really like any other interview. You have the usual why medicine, why DO, why here. It's open file. They asked me about a bad grade I had. They're really nice though. WVSOM is really big on primary and rural care. So if that's what you're into, this is the school for you. Like I said before, for this interview I made sure to mention an experience I had in all my answers. Don't just say I work hard. Say I learned the value of hard work from working on a farm during the hot summers. That's the mistake I was making in my other interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
As far as preparation goes, I would say be able to talk about your experiences. It's open file so they'll probably ask you about something you did. Also make sure you have good solid answers to the big 3. IMO those are the most important.

Decision deferred (post secondary). :(

Damn. This was one of my top choices too. Is there anything I can do to get them to re-review my file? I guess sending an update email sometime early next year would be best?

Last edited by a moderator:
Decision deferred (post secondary). :(

Damn. This was one of my top choices too. Is there anything I can do to get them to re-review my file? I guess sending an update email sometime early next year would be best?

Send them updates and let them know that you are very interested in attending. Are you taking classes now? Sending academic updates can certainly help.

Also, do you have any experience working with medically underserved populations? WVSOM has a strong emphasis on that, specifically in rural healthcare.

Send them updates and let them know that you are very interested in attending. Are you taking classes now? Sending academic updates can certainly help.

Also, do you have any experience working with medically underserved populations? WVSOM has a strong emphasis on that, specifically in rural healthcare.
How long should I wait before sending anything though? I'm taking some classes starting this spring.

How long should I wait before sending anything though? I'm taking some classes starting this spring.

Personally I would send your new transcript as soon as it's available to AACOMAS and an email to WVSOM once you start back up with classes in January. I imagine by the time you get your new transcript they will be on the holiday break. It's better to send an update at that time because it will be one of the first emails that they will see when they get back.

Personally I would send your new transcript as soon as it's available to AACOMAS and an email to WVSOM once you start back up with classes in January. I imagine by the time you get your new transcript they will be on the holiday break. It's better to send an update at that time because it will be one of the first emails that they will see when they get back.
I'm confused. I haven't started these classes yet. They begin in January. Are you saying that I should send the classes I am planning to take to AACOMAS so that WVSOM sees that I have a few courses in progress?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS and interviewed mid-January. Was accepted first week of February. It's not as good as interviewing earlier, but you still have a decent chance!

You definitely have a change. I interviewed last year (OOS) in early February and was accepted at the beginning of April.

You would still have a shot, although lesser compared to interviewing in the fall. The interview cycle for some D.O. programs can go into April, so there should still be a some spots left.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got accepted OOS in April last year

I'm confused. I haven't started these classes yet. They begin in January. Are you saying that I should send the classes I am planning to take to AACOMAS so that WVSOM sees that I have a few courses in progress?

Oh my mistake, I assumed you also took classes from this fall. Disregard what I said about the transcript and just let them know that you plan to take a few classes in the spring then.

Can any current students speak to what activities students do with the (small amount) free time they have? I found Lewisburg to be very charming and beautiful, but am wondering what people do for fun or to socialize? Thanks

The school does a good job of on campus activities and club activities. There is a movie theater in town. Restaurants. Karaoke night on Thursdays. The food in town is amazing. Mostly we hangout off campus at each other's houses. Beckley isn't too far away so most students drive there as well for shopping. DC and Philly are nice for long weekends.

Oh my mistake, I assumed you also took classes from this fall. Disregard what I said about the transcript and just let them know that you plan to take a few classes in the spring then.
Ok. Yeah, that was my plan.

Just an FYI, if you get a "decision deferred" status, don't give up!!! I sent the admissions office a nice little essay last night detailing my plans for the spring, as well as why I feel that I would be a great fit at WVSOM. Here is the response I received back early this morning:

zWCblvE.jpg

WVSOM is truly one of my top choices! I really hope they don't think I was blowing smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Just an FYI, if you get a "decision deferred" status, don't give up!!! I sent the admissions office a nice little essay last night detailing my plans for the spring, as well as why I feel that I would be a great fit at WVSOM. Here is the response I received back early this morning:

zWCblvE.jpg

WVSOM is truly one of my top choices! I really hope they don't think I was blowing smoke.
I got decision differed as well. I called Angie and she said something similar, that she doesnt know why its on hold but they will look at it again. Im going to send them my fall grades when they are finally submitted. Im only missing physics 2 which I am doing in the spring so ill probably send them that as well. I have a friend who is in his second year there and asked him about it. Said he knows a few people in his class who initially got put on hold before eventually getting accepted.

I got decision differed as well. I called Angie and she said something similar, that she doesnt know why its on hold but they will look at it again. Im going to send them my fall grades when they are finally submitted. Im only missing physics 2 which I am doing in the spring so ill probably send them that as well. I have a friend who is in his second year there and asked him about it. Said he knows a few people in his class who initially got put on hold before eventually getting accepted.

Good to know. I was just happy I didn't get outright denied. My hold may have been to due to the fact that I haven't taken Orgo II or Biochemistry. I made sure to address that point in my email and also told them that I would be taking them both in the spring.

Interviewed today. It was amazing! Will definitely attend if I get accepted. Now the waiting game begins.

Interviewed today. It was amazing! Will definitely attend if I get accepted. Now the waiting game begins.
Yea it is a wonderful school very relaxed interview! Was an amazing experience.

Acceptance letter in the mail! Super stoked! Interviewed 12/5.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if their ADCOM meets weekly or bi-weekly? I'm so anxious to hear the decision.

Current first year here. Absolutely love this school, feel free to PM me with any questions :) Otherwise, best of luck with the application cycle everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Will be withdrawing my acceptance here today to pursue other opportunities. I loved the school and believe it is a hidden gem. Hopefully one of you interviewing soon will be able to snag my spot

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed Friday. Really hoping for good news today!

Congrats Everyone! If you are set on attending I recommend joining the FB page. Not super active yet but I imagine as people settle in on where they are attending it will become more lively!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats to all of you on your acceptances! That's so exciting :). Any specific advice for preparing for interview day? Thanks!