West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New to this page, but accepted as well! Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone who got accepted today know if they're attending yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone that was accepted today!

I was deferred before receiving a II near the beginning of November. Is/was anyone else in the same boat?

Secondary submitted 10/26
II 11/01
Interview 12/05
Accepted 12/06

cGPA and sGPA 3.1
MCAT 502
3,000+ hours of scribe, probably really strong MD/DO rec letters

have hope - miracles happen! I knew if I could just get an interview, I could get an acceptance. It is possible to get an acceptance with low stats!! Try not to stress out and surrender yourself to this process and know that everything is going to work out for you exactly as it should. I was not looking forward to having to go to The Middle of Nowhere, WV but after the interview, I am so in love with this school. I feel like I could get a really great education here and I think that they are preparing their first and second year students better than a lot of MD programs I've heard about. I'm still hoping to get an interview at the other programs I've applied to, but I would be more than happy to attend here.

Reactions: 9 users
accepted! interviewed 12/12. congrats everyone who made it, and good luck whoever is applying here. great school from what I could tell at the interview; did not expect to love it as much as I did

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
accepted! interviewed 12/12. congrats everyone who made it, and good luck whoever is applying here. great school from what I could tell at the interview; did not expect to love it as much as I did
I interviewed 12/12 and still says "decision pending" Hope that's not a bad sign....

I got an application update saying that they. Got my LORs but never got the interview. It's been over a week should I call?

Does anyone know if WVSOM offers tours for prospective students?

I know they have "prospective student" days where they have a whole day for tours, informational sessions, Q&A sessions, etc. Give 'em a call and see if they have any coming up, they usually have a couple of them per semester. Otherwise I'm sure they would have no problem giving you a tour if you called and set one up.

Anyone gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet? I wanna know the details of the deposit and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet? I wanna know the details of the deposit and such.
Not yet, but the deposit details are in that yellow sheet we were given at the end of the day!

I got my acceptance letter today. My deposit is due by January 11th

Good to know. I was just happy I didn't get outright denied. My hold may have been to due to the fact that I haven't taken Orgo II or Biochemistry. I made sure to address that point in my email and also told them that I would be taking them both in the spring.
Did you just email Angie? I have my final fall grades and am unsure how to make sure they get them.

500 in state, 2000 out of state if you were accepted between 11/15 and 12/15 you have thirty days after acceptance to turn it in.

Has anyone who interviewed 12/19 heard back today? I know it's soon but it looked like last week's interview group heard back the following day.

Has anyone who interviewed 12/19 heard back today? I know it's soon but it looked like last week's interview group heard back the following day.
I interviewed 12/12 and haven't heard anything. They told us at the interview that we should know within a week. Since I hadn't heard I called admissions today. I was told that they met this morning but she couldn't give me the results. Said they had gotten really busy and she didn't think they would have time to update everyone's results before Christmas.

So, we just keep waiting. It's not a rejection. I'm hoping for good news. I really liked this school and the area and would definitely attend if I get accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed 12/12 and haven't heard anything. They told us at the interview that we should know within a week. Since I hadn't heard I called admissions today. I was told that they met this morning but she couldn't give me the results. Said they had gotten really busy and she didn't think they would have time to update everyone's results before Christmas.

So, we just keep waiting. It's not a rejection. I'm hoping for good news. I really liked this school and the area and would definitely attend if I get accepted.

Ok thanks! I don't feel like they're the type of school to do silent rejections so I'll be anxiously waiting as well :) good luck to you!

Ok thanks! I don't feel like they're the type of school to do silent rejections so I'll be anxiously waiting as well :) good luck to you!
Good luck to you as well! Hoping we both get good news

ACCEPTED! I really thought I had no shot with my low mcat score. I'm so excited! Interviewed on 12/19 and found out today, such a quick response

I got "decision deferred by committee" Does anyone know what that means? Is that a rejection?

ACCEPTED! I really thought I had no shot with my low mcat score. I'm so excited! Interviewed on 12/19 and found out today, such a quick response
Congratulations! May I ask how low your MCAT score was and what your GPA was? My MCAT was pretty low as well, but the rest of my application was good. Bummed I didn't get accepted.

So is that a bad thing? I'm guessing that means my chances of acceptance are low?

Not necessarily, more than likely they just want to look at your app vs the next group before making a decision. Plenty of people have been accepted this cycle after being deferred so keep the faith!

Not necessarily, more than likely they just want to look at your app vs the next group before making a decision. Plenty of people have been accepted this cycle after being deferred so keep the faith!
Easier said than done. I loved this school and was really hoping for an acceptance. But I guess at least it's not a rejection. Hard to feel optimistic though when so many have been accepted.

Easier said than done. I loved this school and was really hoping for an acceptance. But I guess at least it's not a rejection. Hard to feel optimistic though when so many have been accepted.

If it's a school you truly want to attend you can send in an LOI showing that interest and it could be enough to put your application over the top.

Sure my mcat was only a 23 (I never took the new one) but I have a decent amount of rural medicine experience (EMT/firefighter in a small town for 2 years, medical mission trip to Ecuador,150+ hours shadowing MDs and recently DOs) and in undergrad I created my own major centered around health and cultural studies (cGpa 3.6, sGpa 3.45) then I took a year off, then got an MS in Biotech and health sciences from Johns Hopkins and got a 4.0. So they didn't bring up my low mcat but they did notice a significant upward trend on my grades (sophomore year I think I only had like a 2.5 gpa). But I have heard students getting deferred and then accepted later on! I think they just reevaluate you during their weekly meetings, so stay positive! Best of luck

Thanks for the response. My MCAT is the same as yours and GPA is very similar, but I do not have an MS, I will just be graduating in May. I also have many hours of patient care in a hospital setting, and lots of shadowing hours as well as a medical missions trip to the DR. I am going to send a LOI as someone suggested earlier and pray! Hopefully we will be classmates.

Will be giving up my seat. I hope it goes to one of you who deserves it.

Thanks for the response. My MCAT is the same as yours and GPA is very similar, but I do not have an MS, I will just be graduating in May. I also have many hours of patient care in a hospital setting, and lots of shadowing hours as well as a medical missions trip to the DR. I am going to send a LOI as someone suggested earlier and pray! Hopefully we will be classmates.

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is that I've heard from several different people and current students that this school admires non-trad applicants (people who took time off after undergrad to explore their interests) and older students because they are more certain about why they want to become physicians. Not sure how accurate this is lol. It's all I can think of (i'm 26). But definitely send a letter of interest/intent and individual thank you cards to your interviewers if you haven't already :). I will be sending positive thoughts your way!

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is that I've heard from several different people and current students that this school admires non-trad applicants (people who took time off after undergrad to explore their interests) and older students because they are more certain about why they want to become physicians. Not sure how accurate this is lol. It's all I can think of (i'm 26). But definitely send a letter of interest/intent and individual thank you cards to your interviewers if you haven't already :). I will be sending positive thoughts your way!

I can attest to this. Although I'm a traditional student, I've done a lot outside of the medical field (started two businesses of my own, held about 10 different jobs in varying fields and a bunch of other stuff) in addition to having about 2000+ clinical hours and they seemed pretty interested in the non-medical stuff too in my interview. I was accepted last week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called and that's exactly what he said. Since I'm 21 and a traditional student they wanted to take longer to decide. He asked for my fall grades as well. I feel better after speaking with them but I really love this school. Still hoping for acceptance!

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew from my interview for 1/5, just a little too far from home for me. Hopefully one of you folks gets to interview in my stead!

Submitting my deposit within the next few days. Can't wait to meet my fellow classmates! I'm so excited

Reactions: 5 users
Hello,
I have also applied to this school and filled out the secondary application in late October. Here are my stats sGPA: 3.3, NonScience GPA: 3.64. MCAT ( 128, 120,125,123), second attempt MCAT ( 128, 122,126,124) ; in your humble opinion, given my stats, do you think I may have a chance of getting an Interview Invite.

Hello,
I have also applied to this school and filled out the secondary application in late October. Here are my stats sGPA: 3.3, NonScience GPA: 3.64. MCAT ( 128, 120,125,123), second attempt MCAT ( 128, 122,126,124) ; in your humble opinion, given my stats, do you think I may have a chance of getting an Interview Invite.

I definitely think you do by your stats but that doesn't guarantee anything. My stats were similar but I have a 3.7 overall GPA with a 4.0 non-science and a 3.5ish science. My first MCAT was ~500 and my second MCAT was a few points lower But I also have around 3000+ clinical hours in the Emergency Room, 500+ hours of direct patient care in orthopedics, shadowing and a bunch of other non-numerical stats stuff which I what I think WVSOM is really interested in. I was accepted a little over two weeks ago. Best of luck! If it's meant to happen it will happen just don't lose hope! :)

I'm a non-trad student with a 3.64 s/c GPA who has a lot of volunteer hours (+2500) and clinical hours (1000+). I've always wanted to go here, but I am sort of struggling with the MCAT. I'm slightly discouraged to apply to D.O. schools now, however I've always wanted to go to this school and pursue a D.O. degree! What would be the lowest MCAT score that WVSOM will accept? Any tips and tricks for those of you who struggled with the MCAT to keep going?

I'm a non-trad student with a 3.64 s/c GPA who has a lot of volunteer hours (+2500) and clinical hours (1000+). I've always wanted to go here, but I am sort of struggling with the MCAT. I'm slightly discouraged to apply to D.O. schools now, however I've always wanted to go to this school and pursue a D.O. degree! What would be the lowest MCAT score that WVSOM will accept? Any tips and tricks for those of you who struggled with the MCAT to keep going?
I got accepted with a 496

I got accepted with 497. Science GPA 3.57, Non-science GPA 3.87

Reactions: 2 users
What advice do you guys have for being placed on the alternate list pre-interview. Does this school take updates well- what kind of updates have you guys sent in? Any advice or information helps! Thank you!

What advice do you guys have for being placed on the alternate list pre-interview. Does this school take updates well- what kind of updates have you guys sent in? Any advice or information helps! Thank you!
Yes, they do. Stay busy! I sent them a letter of interest after my pre-interview hold talking about my interest in rural medicine and my experiences seeing the fall out from lack of PCP in my UG town (my university was in a rural region). It was received well by the admissions department (I received a nice email back). We shall see if it helps!