West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted with 497. Science GPA 3.57, Non-science GPA 3.87

Congrats!! What made your application stand out from the rest? And, how did you overcome your MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! What made your application stand out from the rest? And, how did you overcome your MCAT?
I'm not sure really I had over 1000 hours of direct patient care, some volunteer, I think I had really good LOR tho

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
300+ hours of hospital volunteer, 300+ hours of public library volunteer. 4 LOR one of them from DO physician, 300+ hours of research both in a chemistry lab and clinical research. For the MCAT I took it twice. I think the best way of doing well on the MCAT is to take many practice exams.

For anyone with a deposit deadline coming up, how did you approach your decision making? I was really impressed by the school's resources but I was not a fan of the environment or the town.

For anyone with a deposit deadline coming up, how did you approach your decision making? I was really impressed by the school's resources but I was not a fan of the environment or the town.

I'd say you've made your decision.....

If it is the only school you got into, put the deposit down regardless of your opinion of the town or environment.

Reactions: 1 user

Any particular reason you don't like Lewisburg? Not enough to do? Even in Lewisburg, there is plenty to do for a medical student. Lewisburg is actually perfect because there aren't a ton of distractions, but still enough to do on weekends when you have a bit of free time (seriously though time will be a hot commodity). No matter where you go to school, you will have enough on your plate already with school work, clubs, school events, etc.

Obviously you will be living there for 2 years, so if you really really hate it, then don't go there because you will never be happy which will impact your studies.

Any particular reason you don't like Lewisburg? Not enough to do? Even in Lewisburg, there is plenty to do for a medical student. Lewisburg is actually perfect because there aren't a ton of distractions, but still enough to do on weekends when you have a bit of free time (seriously though time will be a hot commodity). No matter where you go to school, you will have enough on your plate already with school work, clubs, school events, etc.

Obviously you will be living there for 2 years, so if you really really hate it, then don't go there because you will never be happy which will impact your studies.
I didn't get to explore much of Lewisburg, but I was more concerned about the school environment itself. I just couldn't really picture myself there. So I guess by even posting this question I have answered it myself. Definitely a great school though!

Hello to all,
I am also waiting to hear back from this school. My file was put on hold waiting for me to update my application. I took two upper division science classes during the fall semester and sent my transcripts just before the holidays begin. My updated science GPA is 3.32 and non science gpa is 3.64; and my mcat scores are 497 (128, 120,125,123), and 500 (128, 122,126,124). would anyone share their stats with me and see If I should even remain hopeful or not?

Hello to all,
I am also waiting to hear back from this school. My file was put on hold waiting for me to update my application. I took two upper division science classes during the fall semester and sent my transcripts just before the holidays begin. My updated science GPA is 3.32 and non science gpa is 3.64; and my mcat scores are 497 (128, 120,125,123), and 500 (128, 122,126,124). would anyone share their stats with me and see If I should even remain hopeful or not?
If you did well in those upper level science classes, I'd say you have a good chance. Take the initiative and send them a strong letter of interest that both updates your grades and expresses interest in the program.

You can't just sit back and hope for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you did well in those upper level science classes, I'd say you have a good chance. Take the initiative and send them a strong letter of interest that both updates your grades and expresses interest in the program.

I got an A and a A-. and I have called them numerous times

I got an A and A-. My concern is my MCAT and low Science Gpa which is made up of mostly engineering classes.

I got an A and a A-. and I have called them numerous times

I got an A and A-. My concern is my MCAT and low Science Gpa which is made up of mostly engineering classes.
Nice job!

Don't call. That's a waste of time. Email Angie Bowyer. I received a response within hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sent my withdrawal email to the admission director. Really great school but I can't go there due to distance and tuition.

Hello to all,

I was accepted with lower stats, but I had strong ECs. What do your ECs look like?

Definitely stay hopeful! I got in with a 23 on the old mcat (undergrad gpa 3.65 science 3.5. Grad school gpa 4.0- MS in biotech). They definitely view applicants holistically and they really value what you do outside of school as well, especially if it has anything to do with rural/underserved medicine/volunteerism. :)
Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it

Is there any place other than here where accepted students are getting together and talking about things like housing and the acceptance process, etc?

Is there any place other than here where accepted students are getting together and talking about things like housing and the acceptance process, etc?

Facebook group. WVSOM Class of 2021

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Withdrawing my invitation for interview. Best of luck to you all; it certainly sounds like an awesome program!

ACCEPTED! I really thought I had no shot with my low mcat score. I'm so excited! Interviewed on 12/19 and found out today, such a quick response

I interviewed on 12/19 too and was also accepted! Congrats!!

I received an email stating decision deferred. Does that mean I'm on hold, or what's up?

I received an email stating decision deferred. Does that mean I'm on hold, or what's up?
I was placed on decision deferred last year pre interview. They way they explained it to me was something on your application is holding you back. For me it was my mcat. They also said it's not a hold or waitlist.

I was placed on decision deferred last year pre interview. They way they explained it to me was something on your application is holding you back. For me it was my mcat. They also said it's not a hold or waitlist.

how did you combat this setback? Did you follow up with them or do anything to come off this decision deferred list?

I have been placed on the decision deferred list pre-interview and wanted to see if any of you guys have sent in a letter/email of interest, what you guys kind of talked about, and who you sent it to. Thank you guys!

3.49 gpa and 500 MCAT

how did you combat this setback? Did you follow up with them or do anything to come off this decision deferred list?
I was told by admissions to retake my mcat it was really low. I retook last summer and got accepted this cycle. I would call and ask about your application they will most likely tell you or give you advice on what to do.

is there any interview dates for feb?? i have a Jan date but I need to change it =/

is there any interview dates for feb?? i have a Jan date but I need to change it =/
When I talked to the ADCOMs they said they interview into March so you should be good.

what format is the interview?? MMI? two on one?

what format is the interview?? MMI? two on one?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is a panel of three people (two clinicians and somebody from admissions) asking questions for about 30 minutes.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is a panel of three people (two clinicians and somebody from admissions) asking questions for about 30 minutes.

You are correct for the first part of the interview and it is open so they will refer to your application (be prepared for questions on coursework, MCAT etc.). Later there is a group activity as well as an MMI style station that is one on one for approximately 8 minutes. Overall the interview is very straightforward and everyone there is exceedingly pleasant. This school is MUCH more impressive than I would have thought and seems to be a great environment with a great deal to offer students.

Reactions: 4 users
You are correct for the first part of the interview and it is open so they will refer to your application (be prepared for questions on coursework, MCAT etc.). Later there is a group activity as well as an MMI style station that is one on one for approximately 8 minutes. Overall the interview is very straightforward and everyone there is exceedingly pleasant. This school is MUCH more impressive than I would have thought and seems to be a great environment with a great deal to offer students.
Thank you!!

Officially decided to attend WVSOM and I will be submitting my first deposit this week! I had a great time on interview day and can't wait to meet my future classmates.

Reactions: 7 users
Officially decided to attend WVSOM and I will be submitting my first deposit this week! I had a great time on interview day and can't wait to meet my future classmates.

I'm one of them!

Reactions: 4 users
Facebook group. WVSOM Class of 2021

Ya know, I made a facebook just to join this since I normally don't do social media, but haven't been accepted into the club yet despite the numbers continually growing. Thinking I had the right idea all along.

Is anybody else interviewing next Thursday, the 19th? I'm really excited! :)

I just got a II here. Will be interviewing on 2/20/17. Anything I should know about this school, or any stand out points for this school?

Does anyone know if they have a list of specialties former graduates matched into? I can find the generic overall match rate but not a specialty specific one or one that lists the locations?

I just got a II here. Will be interviewing on 2/20/17. Anything I should know about this school, or any stand out points for this school?
Just be yourself! This school is seriously a hidden gem and all the staff are extremely nice and welcoming! The whole interview day is very enjoyable.

Portal Status changed to Decision Deferred. Is this a silent rejection pre-II?

Is anyone still looking for roommates? There's a lot of people in the Facebook group but very few people are asking about it.

Just turned down my II. I hope one of you still patiently waiting gets it!

Reactions: 2 users