Western University CVM 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted, whew! For those of you on the alternate list, I know EXACTLY how you feel as I was on that list last year. But trust me, it'll be that much sweeter WHEN you get your acceptance letter--it just may not be from Western :)

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted, whew! For those of you on the alternate list, I know EXACTLY how you feel as I was on that list last year. But trust me, it'll be that much sweeter WHEN you get your acceptance letter--it just may not be from Western :)

I'm an alternate :( Do you mind me asking were you an alternate for Western last year or a different school?

I've been accepted!!! After getting alternate last year I was worried it would be the same this year, but I actually got in!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got accepted, do any of you know where to find the acceptance declaration form? Or is it going to be sent to us at a later date?

I'm an alternate :( Do you mind me asking were you an alternate for Western last year or a different school?
I was an alternate for Western. And I think you'll ask me this next but from what I remember, I was told that the alternate list did not move much. Jay (one of the admin counselors) told me that last year 170 were given acceptance letters. This is probably why the alternate list barely moved. BUT every year is different. The fact that I was an alternate is what kept me together until June when I began applying again.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I'm hoping since apparently they said they were only accepting 99 this year (meaning not over accepting) the list would move quicker.

Ahh, sorry for repeating myself but does anyone know how to find the acceptance declaration form? I want to submit it ASAP! Or will it be sent to us at a later date?

@Jonah93 No idea where that form is. Tried the link but it wasnt working. Just gonna email them and see what's up.

Will post if i find out. :)

Congratulations everyone!
The alternate list varies on how much it "moves," especially because they don't rank candidates. If someone turns down their acceptance, or accepts and then withdraws, they don't choose the next person on the list. Instead, the Dean picks whoever he thinks would be a good fit for the class.

Does anyone know if alternates are expected to send transcripts? Also when are they due? I can't seem to find the info on the homepage...

Does anyone know if alternates are expected to send transcripts? Also when are they due? I can't seem to find the info on the homepage...
Yes alternates need to send transcripts by the deadline, because if you do get accepted, and hopefully you will!, they need to have it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody,
I was accepted to western for the class of 2019 and wanted to let you guys know that the acceptance declaration form in the email has an additional "h" on the hyperlink at the beginning. You have to delete the additional "h' to access the form.
Congrats to everybody who was accepted and to those of you whom are alternates, stay hopeful. I know plenty of doctors who were accepted into their programs from the alternate pool.

As a side note, I was wondering where on this forum I could post my story with my stats as an accepted student to encourage future applicants applying to Western vet school with less than perfect academics.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everybody,
I was accepted to western for the class of 2019 and wanted to let you guys know that the acceptance declaration form in the email has an additional "h" on the hyperlink at the beginning. You have to delete the additional "h' to access the form.
Congrats to everybody who was accepted and to those of you whom are alternates, stay hopeful. I know plenty of doctors who were accepted into their programs from the alternate pool.

As a side note, I was wondering where on this forum I could post my story with my stats as an accepted student to encourage future applicants applying to Western vet school with less than perfect academics.

I can't see any hyperlink to any acceptance declaration form in my email.

Last edited:
Hey everybody,

I got an email from Karen Hutton - Lopez titled DVM Application Status, is that the one where you see a hyper link to the acceptance declaration form?

Yes alternates need to send transcripts by the deadline, because if you do get accepted, and hopefully you will!, they need to have it.

Does this mean sending fall transcripts now, or just all final transcripts by June 1st?

Does this mean sending fall transcripts now, or just all final transcripts by June 1st?

I believe the due date for fall transcripts is Jan. 31. Then if you still don't hear anything in the spring, send spring semester transcripts by June 1. That's what I did last year, and although I didn't get in, your file needs to be complete in order for them to offer you a seat. If that makes sense..

I got an email from Karen Hutton - Lopez titled DVM Application Status, is that the one where you see a hyper link to the acceptance declaration form?

Yes, the email from Karen is where you copy the hyperlink on "Acceptance Declaration Form" on the third paragraph and remove the first "h" on the link. Then, you will have access to the form. I would post the link directly onto here but I do not think that I can do that.

Yes, the email from Karen is where you copy the hyperlink on "Acceptance Declaration Form" on the third paragraph and remove the first "h" on the link. Then, you will have access to the form. I would post the link directly onto here but I do not think that I can do that.

Ahh I see. It turns out that they forgot to include the link into the hyper link so it's just all greyed out for me. When they get back from winter vacation I'll give them a call. Thankfully still plenty of time! Thanks!

Every year there is a "successful applicant stats" thread where people post their stats, where they were accepted, etc. I don't think one has been started yet for this year, but you can start one if you like.
Last year's is here if you want an example of what it should look like
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/successful-applicant-stats-class-of-2018.1044809/

I don't know if this question belongs here or in a thread of its own but I just need some reassurance.
If once you are accepted, you do not reply right away (ie waiting to hear back from other schools) without just jumping ahead to that $500 deposit, you don't need to take any action at this point, correct? I will most likely go to Western but I applied to four other school and I think it would be good to hear from them all before just making a choice and going with the first one that accepted people. In other words, I'm not filling out anything for Western until a bit later on.

I don't know if this question belongs here or in a thread of its own but I just need some reassurance.
If once you are accepted, you do not reply right away (ie waiting to hear back from other schools) without just jumping ahead to that $500 deposit, you don't need to take any action at this point, correct? I will most likely go to Western but I applied to four other school and I think it would be good to hear from them all before just making a choice and going with the first one that accepted people. In other words, I'm not filling out anything for Western until a bit later on.
They can't force you to commit until a certain date, April 15th, I believe. At least, that's how it was when I applied.

They can't force you to commit until a certain date, April 15th, I believe. At least, that's how it was when I applied.

Rwwilliams is correct. Your seat is reserved until the 15th of April, and then if you still haven't sent the form and deposit post marked by then, your seat is opened up to alternates.

When do they need Fall transcripts by - I haven't seen anything in the emails about it? Since they already made their decisions, why would we need to send a separate fall and spring/final transcript? Thanks, maybe I'm just confused.

I think the deadline is in the orientation pamphlet. I believe it was June 1 to receive both fall and spring transcripts but I would double check...

Just wondering if anyone knows how many interviews there were this year? It almost seems with the amount that were accepted and on the alternate list that if you weren't accepted you were automatically put on the alternate list. Any thoughts on this?

Just wondering if anyone knows how many interviews there were this year? It almost seems with the amount that were accepted and on the alternate list that if you weren't accepted you were automatically put on the alternate list. Any thoughts on this?

They said that you were considered fit for the program if you were invited for an interview because of the thorough critique of multiple admissions officers. The interview is simply for the Dean to decide who is more fit among all of the interviews due to the restriction imposed by class size. So it makes logical sense that any student not offered admission is still deemed qualified and thus put on the alternate list.

hmmm....ok I just heard that you also need to pass the interview phase in that the interviewers must like you in order to be placed in the pile sent to the dean. I was just finding it hard to believe that everyone passed the interview phase but I guess they did if almost everyone it seems was either accepted or an alternate... :/

hmmm....ok I just heard that you also need to pass the interview phase in that the interviewers must like you in order to be placed in the pile sent to the dean. I was just finding it hard to believe that everyone passed the interview phase but I guess they did if almost everyone it seems was either accepted or an alternate... :/
I think they said it was very unusual for a person to 'fail' the interview, so I believe almost everyone was at least placed on the alternate list

there were about 330 interviews this year and I'm sure a fair share were rejected as well.

There were definitely rejections before and after the interview process.

I emailed Karen and asked how many were alternates and how many accepted. She said 169 were accepted and 186 were offered alternate status that comes to 355 total. I am sure there were some rejections but most were probably accepted or an alternate it seems :/

I'm not surprised at all. The interview was fairly simple and all the questions asked are literally on the interview feedback page.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody know if there is a facebook group for accepted applicants? Or is it too early?

I'm going to be turning down my acceptance (got into my first choice!) so I hope one of you guys on the alternate list gets my spot! :)

Reactions: 7 users
I emailed Karen and asked how many were alternates and how many accepted. She said 169 were accepted and 186 were offered alternate status that comes to 355 total. I am sure there were some rejections but most were probably accepted or an alternate it seems :/

They said they were only accepting 99 people. 169 sounds a little inflated. What would be the point of having any alternates if they over accepted by greater than 60%? This whole process is an emotional roller coaster. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
They said they were only accepting 99 people. 169 sounds a little inflated. What would be the point of having any alternates if they over accepted by greater than 60%? This whole process is an emotional roller coaster. Lol

I know! I have definitely heard conflicting info but this is straight from the email I received from Karen:
The Dean made 169 offers for 105 seats in the class. The candidates have until April 15, 2015 to respond. In addition, he made 186 alternate offers of which only half have responded as of this morning. All candidates, both accepted and alternates, have until April 15, 2015 to respond to our offer per AAVMC traffic rules. That being said, we do not have a specific number to offer you nor are we able to determine what your chances of gaining an offer are.

On another note does anyone know where I can find info about any immunizations that are required? On their facebook they said to refer to the health clearance documents but I am not sure where I can find these. :/

I know! I have definitely heard conflicting info but this is straight from the email I received from Karen:
The Dean made 169 offers for 105 seats in the class. The candidates have until April 15, 2015 to respond. In addition, he made 186 alternate offers of which only half have responded as of this morning. All candidates, both accepted and alternates, have until April 15, 2015 to respond to our offer per AAVMC traffic rules. That being said, we do not have a specific number to offer you nor are we able to determine what your chances of gaining an offer are.

On another note does anyone know where I can find info about any immunizations that are required? On their facebook they said to refer to the health clearance documents but I am not sure where I can find these. :/
This is the link to the health clearance forms. http://prospective.westernu.edu/assets/prospective/common/immunization-titer-forms.pdf

Spoke with Jay Rosa from admissions today. He confirmed that they traditionally always over accept by 50+ people and that last year they still offered 25 spots to people on the alternate list. Although he can't anticipate if they will do that this year, but it could happen.

Hmm one of my biggest qualms about Western is the whole car situation. I spoke with a faculty member on the phone today and she said you pretty much do need a car to go to Western. I have a very strong fear of driving rooted from a car accident when I first got my license so I don't think I could drive in Cali, especially on those six lane freeways at 70 mph! This may seem "silly" but hopefully there are other students there without cars! And even more so, hopefully there are people who would let me carpool with them if we needed to go off-campus for a lab!

Hmm one of my biggest qualms about Western is the whole car situation. I spoke with a faculty member on the phone today and she said you pretty much do need a car to go to Western. I have a very strong fear of driving rooted from a car accident when I first got my license so I don't think I could drive in Cali, especially on those six lane freeways at 70 mph! This may seem "silly" but hopefully there are other students there without cars! And even more so, hopefully there are people who would let me carpool with them if we needed to go off-campus for a lab!
There are plenty of students in my class who don't have cars. I live at the Daumier so I almost never drive and I tend to carpool with others.

Just wondering, does anybody know if there is a facebook page for the accepted students yet? Also, are there any accepted students who are receiving their pre-exposure rabies vaccines somewhere in the LA/Long Beach area? Every where that I have contacted is extremely expensive, with prices ranging from $250 per to $450 per...

Just wondering, does anybody know if there is a facebook page for the accepted students yet? Also, are there any accepted students who are receiving their pre-exposure rabies vaccines somewhere in the LA/Long Beach area? Every where that I have contacted is extremely expensive, with prices ranging from $250 per to $450 per...

There is a Facebook page for you guys, but i believe you need a westernu email account in order to access it. Sadly, the rabies vax series truly is that expensive. I haven't heard of it ever being less than $200 per shot...

There is a Facebook page for you guys, but i believe you need a westernu email account in order to access it. Sadly, the rabies vax series truly is that expensive. I haven't heard of it ever being less than $200 per shot...
I didn't need a WesternU email to access my 2017 page or your 2018 page :p
I know one student who got it covered through Blue Cross Blue Shield but I had that insurance last year and was unable to get it covered. It ended up costing me about $600 all up. It is what is is. It's tax deductible as an educational expense, so at least there's that.

[edit] You know need a WesternU email to join. I stand corrected. AE373 is smarter than me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how do we find this facebook group with the email? Little confused about that.