Western University CVM 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got called off the waitlist so it's moving!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email offering me a spot!!! Wow! Will be declining though... got into my IS! It's moving guys!

I have withdrawn my name from the alternate list. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to go to Western instead of Ross? I'm on the waitlist for Western too!

I'm actually still deciding. I love the program at ross but the fact that western is so close to home and is a little cheaper are huge factors for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question.. How can a school require you to get vaccines? What if a person is against getting vaccines? how can you get around this? I know many people who would not agree with this..
Every medical program, veterinary or human will most likely require a broad spectrum of vaccinations and/or titers. Additionally, you should expect that most employers in these fields will as well. If you are firmly against vaccinations, it may end up changing your career path.

I have a question.. How can a school require you to get vaccines? What if a person is against getting vaccines? how can you get around this? I know many people who would not agree with this..
If you are against vaccines, it tends to be at odds with medical training. A large part of veterinary medicine is prevention of disease and public health. Just something to think about before going down this path. It's usually a safety issue for you if you refuse vaccines for any reason other than health.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey I have a question for current students. I am shopping for a new laptop and I saw on the western website that they don't recommend Apple computers. I have been an apple user all my life and those are what I feel comfortable with. I was just wondering if anyone has had trouble with their Apple computers at western. Also how necessary is it to have a flash drive and cd rom? The computer I'm looking at has neither. Thanks!

Enjoy your rabies...just saying...

Hey I have a question for current students. I am shopping for a new laptop and I saw on the western website that they don't recommend Apple computers. I have been an apple user all my life and those are what I feel comfortable with. I was just wondering if anyone has had trouble with their Apple computers at western. Also how necessary is it to have a flash drive and cd rom? The computer I'm looking at has neither. Thanks!

Many students here have macs (myself included) and I know western sends an email that recommends against them but I believe it is because our tech support doesn't support macs. Either way I haven't had a problem with mine, yet... I would recommend getting a flash drive for sure since we get so many ebooks. I personally replaced my flash drive for an SD card and it is much more portable. We haven't used CD roms yet. If you have any other questions I will try my best to answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many students here have macs (myself included) and I know western sends an email that recommends against them but I believe it is because our tech support doesn't support macs. Either way I haven't had a problem with mine, yet... I would recommend getting a flash drive for sure since we get so many ebooks. I personally replaced my flash drive for an SD card and it is much more portable. We haven't used CD roms yet. If you have any other questions I will try my best to answer.
We were given CDs my first year but it's not like they were entirely necessary. They're likely going to phase them out as Dr. Smylie mentioned we were getting tablets to work with the televisions in our PBL rooms.
Tech support will work with Mac users, as far as I know. It's just not their forte.

Reactions: 1 users

You don't. If you have a problem with vaccines, particularly the rabies series, you need to pick another profession. Not to mention, WesternU is a private school so we can theoretically require whatever we want prior to admission.

We were given CDs my first year but it's not like they were entirely necessary. They're likely going to phase them out as Dr. Smylie mentioned we were getting tablets to work with the televisions in our PBL rooms.
Tech support will work with Mac users, as far as I know. It's just not their forte.

As @Rwwilliams mentioned I don't see the CD-roms as important. We got TVs in our PBL rooms that hook up to HDMI capable laptops but you can get an adapter.

sorry for the multiple posts!! My computer was messing up and I'm not sure how to delete them :/. On another note I am looking for a roommate to live with this fall. I am ideally looking to live in a 2 bedroom apartment with one other female. If anyone is interested or knows of someone that might be feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Congrats!! Will you be accepting?
Don't know yet! Western was the only school that didn't accept the stats and English class I submitted for pre-reqs, and since I committed elsewhere, I didn't take those this semester. I will submit two other classes and see if those work (I have found the classes they accept and do not accept don't follow any rhyme and reason). Western has some pros - largely location for me - but I prefer VMCVM's program.

I am curious whether anyone who applied to Western submitted an alternate stats class that wasn't on the prerequisite database and was successful. The class I submitted was not accepted because it wasn't biostats (it was a graduate level social science stats class) yet they accept sociology, psychology and Econ stats classes from other schools listed on their prerequisite database. Anyone else had issues ?

I am curious whether anyone who applied to Western submitted an alternate stats class that wasn't on the prerequisite database and was successful. The class I submitted was not accepted because it wasn't biostats (it was a graduate level social science stats class) yet they accept sociology, psychology and Econ stats classes from other schools listed on their prerequisite database. Anyone else had issues ?

Did you ask them if they would accept it? There was a Chem course I had that wasn't in their database but I just submitted a syllabus and asked them about it and in the end they approved it. I would just ask someone.

Did you ask them if they would accept it? There was a Chem course I had that wasn't in their database but I just submitted a syllabus and asked them about it and in the end they approved it. I would just ask someone.
Yes I submitted it and they didn't accept it because it wasn't science based. But they accept stats classes that aren't hard science based from other schools. I emailed them about this inconsistency and am waiting to hear back.

Hmmmm that is weird. Yeah the stats class I submitted was psych stats and they were fine with it. Hopefully you'll hear back soon and hopefully it'll work out.

What type of Social science? Maybe that's a factor?

Hey everyone! Does anyone know what the interview situation is like regarding conflicts in your schedule? What I mean is, if you get offered an interview for one school and have an interview at another school the same weekend, OR if you have a conflict in your schedule and have to reschedule your interview, is that possible? Also how does that look to the school if you have to reschedule?

Thanks!

Hey everyone! Does anyone know what the interview situation is like regarding conflicts in your schedule? What I mean is, if you get offered an interview for one school and have an interview at another school the same weekend, OR if you have a conflict in your schedule and have to reschedule your interview, is that possible? Also how does that look to the school if you have to reschedule?

Thanks!
It depends on the school. Some schools are understanding to this and will let you switch dates. Others are notorious for not caring and will tell you will lose your interview if you don't show up to that date (UPenn). Some other schools only have one interview date, so if you can't make it then...well, you're SOL.

It depends on the school. Some schools are understanding to this and will let you switch dates. Others are notorious for not caring and will tell you will lose your interview if you don't show up to that date (UPenn). Some other schools only have one interview date, so if you can't make it then...well, you're SOL.

Thank you!

Alright I have a question that is going to make me seem really irresponsible but it is what it is. I have been committed for Glasgow for some time now, but was accepted off of the alternate list last week for Western! Unfortunately, I am in Glasgow seeing the school right now, and western has given me until June 11th to complete my deposit and health clearance forms. I probably should have dealt with all of this earlier but with work and planning to move to Glasgow, it slipped my mind. I'm very worried I won't finish my health clearance stuff by June 11th, and have emailed student health but no one has responded to me. Does anyone know how big of a deal it is if I don't finish health clearance forms by the deadline? Basically, will I lose my spot?

Alright I have a question that is going to make me seem really irresponsible but it is what it is. I have been committed for Glasgow for some time now, but was accepted off of the alternate list last week for Western! Unfortunately, I am in Glasgow seeing the school right now, and western has given me until June 11th to complete my deposit and health clearance forms. I probably should have dealt with all of this earlier but with work and planning to move to Glasgow, it slipped my mind. I'm very worried I won't finish my health clearance stuff by June 11th, and have emailed student health but no one has responded to me. Does anyone know how big of a deal it is if I don't finish health clearance forms by the deadline? Basically, will I lose my spot?
I would say definitely call them since you have such an unusual circumstance. I am not sure if anyone on this forum will have had a similar experience, unfortunately.

I spoke to student health this morning and it's all worked out :)

Thanks neocia!

Just wondering if anyone knows if the school is going to send us info on items we might need such as scrubs, stethoscope etc? Also will they send a book list? I know it's pbl obviously so I'm not sure what they require in the way of books. I feel like there has been a lack of communication from the school or maybe I'm just impatient :/

Just wondering if anyone knows if the school is going to send us info on items we might need such as scrubs, stethoscope etc? Also will they send a book list? I know it's pbl obviously so I'm not sure what they require in the way of books. I feel like there has been a lack of communication from the school or maybe I'm just impatient :/
There are no books required. You need scrubs. You need a stethoscope. A lot of this stuff will be for sale at the school bookstore, so just compare before you actually buy anything. The company I work for sells stethoscopes at a student discount as well.

Just got an email saying I'm accepted off he alternate list!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
OK guys, but I need some serious help. I just started a new job (county extension agent) like 3 weeks ago. This a wonderful career with great benefits and I'm enjoying it, but now I have the opportunity to finally pursue and fulfill my dream of a lifetime. I have no idea what to do. Do I accept their offer and move across the country, leaving everything I know and love (family, boyfriend, where places are) behind? Or do I keep the great job I have and give up my dream?

I'm so conflicted. I'm happy where I am now but a huge part of me wants to pack up and move right now. Any help or insight would be great.

thanks guys

Write a list down of pros and cons of each situation. Try to look ahead ten years from now and think about what you want in life.

Unfortunately, nobody can give you an answer but yourself.

Just remember, there's the here and now and then there's the future.

Good luck on making your decision and congrats on getting pulled from the waitlist. I didn't apply to Western but am hoping to get pulled off a list elsewhere :)

OK guys, but I need some serious help. I just started a new job (county extension agent) like 3 weeks ago. This a wonderful career with great benefits and I'm enjoying it, but now I have the opportunity to finally pursue and fulfill my dream of a lifetime. I have no idea what to do. Do I accept their offer and move across the country, leaving everything I know and love (family, boyfriend, where places are) behind? Or do I keep the great job I have and give up my dream?

I'm so conflicted. I'm happy where I am now but a huge part of me wants to pack up and move right now. Any help or insight would be great.

thanks guys
Were you planning on applying again for next year before getting called off the wait list?

No I wasn't, this was it for me. Especially since I got this great new job. I'm in such a pickle.
I think most things that are worthwhile seem difficult and require courage! I saw you are 24? Sounds like the right time to me! I am about 10 years older and am feeling very stressed out about the prospect of going to vet school. Especially moving across country and leaving everything familiar - especially my family. So I can empathize. And I would say, sounds like you need some encouragement! Maybe I do too ;)

Hello! Just wondering what everyone is doing for living arrangements?

Trying to weigh all my options for living, and is wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate? I'm a 25 year old female from San Diego. I might live with my cousin who is one of my best friends so that could be cool, or I'm still thinking of living on campus, or with a student! Yeah I know it's so last minute but I'm horrible at making decisions and just checking out what other options are out there :)

Can any of the people who got off the wait list tell me what time of day they received the email?