2012-2013 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm i see... well i GUESS i understand... just make sure to withdraw whenever you do get accepted so the rest of us have a chance. thanks

Sorry, reread my posts and I sound like a douche. I'm just caught in this weird situation... Hahaha.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

i've been following this thread for awhile but just recently made an account. i interviewed back in december and was accepted during the january decision date. good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you have been accepted to a great DO school. You should to be proud to be part of the class of 2017. You are still on multiple waitlist and I am pretty sure you will land somewhere on those waitlist as well. The season is not over yet and keep your chin up!!!. I haven't got any acceptance yet and in a process of re-applying. Hope I will hear a good new in April.

+1

Deferred for the third time. I should just withdraw.

They are probably deferring you at this point because you have other acceptances and don't expect you to attend.

This is the third time, I think, that I've been deferred since interviewing in November. I'm going to the AMSA Open House at TCMC tomorrow and will hopefully be able to chat with someone from admissions for a few minutes to see what keeps holding me back as I was also waitlisted last year. Is anyone else attending? I have to drive up first thing tomorrow morning (it's about a 4 hour drive) for me and I don't have the funds right now for a hotel. Hoping the weather holds out!

+1

They are probably deferring you at this point because you have other acceptances and don't expect you to attend.

How would they know that? I'm sure there are people who have other acceptances and were accepted to TCMC.

has anyone heard anything about their pending accreditation?

I was told by Kelley Williams that they are expecting to receive full accreditation by 2014. They just had to wait to graduate their first MD class.

Interviewed late January. Will be withdrawing my application. Good luck, you guys!

How would they know that? I'm sure there are people who have other acceptances and were accepted to TCMC.

I originally meant that schools tend to waitlist/defer the people who they think will get into higher ranked programs, unless they get updates or LOIs to the contrary.

Also, in another month won't schools see where you hold other acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
I originally meant that schools tend to waitlist/defer the people who they think will get into higher ranked programs, unless they get updates or LOIs to the contrary.

Also, in another month won't schools see where you hold other acceptances?

What do you mean "see where you hold an acceptance"???

what should we put in the LOI and who should we send it to? I haven't written one yet for any school and I think it's time I do so.

what should we put in the LOI and who should we send it to? I haven't written one yet for any school and I think it's time I do so.

TCMC won't accept them until you are "officially waitlisted in April" but you can certainly write one in advance (save and send it later) if you think you will get waitlisted.

Schools will be able to access files on where you've already been accepted.

:eek::eek:Am I the only one who did not know they will be able to have this info? Is it through amcas? When exactly will this happen?

Last edited:
:eek::eek:Am I the only one who did not know they will be able to have this info? Is it through amcas? When exactly will this happen?

It happens in may, why are you so concerned?

Just got lasik procedure done, its nice being able to see ha

Late post, I've been pretty busy for the past few days.

Deferred again, that makes my 4th.

As time goes on, I'm not sure how much I want to go here. The school has everything I want in a school, but unfortunately the tuition is pretty steep for a new school, and with Corbett in office for another 2 years, I only see that situation getting worse.

It happens in may, why are you so concerned?

Just got lasik procedure done, its nice being able to see ha

Not conserned, lol. Nearly all my interviewers asked me where I was accepted/interviewed so I thought there is no way for them to find out. Was wondering if ti is through AAMC because I got into the DO school, so I am not sure if MD schools will see that.

Congrats on the procedure, hope it worked well :)

Yea they are able to see all medical schools. That is what I was told anyways

Tcmc cares about applicants who serve the underserved communities. You can't just say you want to dedicate your life to serving the underserved without having a trace of evidence. For example, in addition to volunteering in the ER, volunteer at food pantry and help your community.

I think that is one huge reason for my acceptance

Tcmc cares about applicants who serve the underserved communities. You can't just say you want to dedicate your life to serving the underserved without having a trace of evidence. For example, in addition to volunteering in the ER, volunteer at food pantry and help your community.

I think that is one huge reason for my acceptance

This a US wide problem, most of the applicants don't want to go into primary care and serve the neighborhood because it might not be as rewarding as "non-stop action of the busy urban hospital". For same exact reason there are people who cannot stand the urban life, they will prefer to serve the undeserved communities and live in quiet places like Scranton. The problem is that latter group of far less numerous.

I myself grew up in a small town that until early 90's used to build big ships. The town had 3 shipbuilding factories, and an entire university that educated electrical, mechanical, structural engineers. Before 90's majority of the town's population was employed by these factories. In mid 90's the factories got closed, people were fired, and with lack of other career opportunities they became homeless, drug addicts, and alcoholics. Now the town has highest numbers of HIV and AIDS in the entire country. I understand very well how the residents of Scranton feel because once upon a time it used to be a coal mining town (thankfully it is in a situation as my home town right now). Even though I did not feed the homeless, and volunteer in the ER I still believe that I am a good candidate to consider just because once upon a time I was one of those undeserved residents.

This a US wide problem, most of the applicants don't want to go into primary care and serve the neighborhood because it might not be as rewarding as "non-stop action of the busy urban hospital". For same exact reason there are people who cannot stand the urban life, they will prefer to serve the undeserved communities and live in quiet places like Scranton. The problem is that latter group of far less numerous.

I myself grew up in a small town that until early 90's used to build big ships. The town had 3 shipbuilding factories, and an entire university that educated electrical, mechanical, structural engineers. Before 90's majority of the town's population was employed by these factories. In mid 90's the factories got closed, people were fired, and with lack of other career opportunities they became homeless, drug addicts, and alcoholics. Now the town has highest numbers of HIV and AIDS in the entire country. I understand very well how the residents of Scranton feel because once upon a time it used to be a coal mining town (thankfully it is in a situation as my home town right now). Even though I did not feed the homeless, and volunteer in the ER I still believe that I am a good candidate to consider just because once upon a time I was one of those undeserved residents.

That's really neat that you understand why Scranton is the way it is (unfortunate for your town and this one) but I think that is great that you want to help communities such as these - plus you have a real understanding of it. Yes, TCMC is looking for people who want to serve the underserved as primary care physicians.. but there are always exceptions to this as they try to "round out" their class as well. I would say if you have demonstrated an interest and shown commitment to serving communities in need, you have a better shot for sure.

Do you guys know of there will be a second look day? Or know when it is? Thank you!

I know this comment doesn't really apply, since Scranton is a small town surrounded by rural areas, but just for clarification, urban areas and inner cities are currently included in underserved areas along with rural areas. Again this comes down to the high population and low economic status of the residents in those areas. As most physicians tend to be wealthier, they choose to work and live in wealthier areas, leaving areas like the inner city and rural areas underserved, especially in primary care. Those big urban hospitals are bustling because they have too many patients than their current resources can support. Instead smaller cities, suburbs, etc. are overserved.

That is part of the reason why the New York inner city hospitals have contracts with Caribbean schools like St. George's, to send their students to rotations there, because they can't find enough doctors willing to work there to begin with, and they know many foreign grads will end up matching in areas like their own hospitals. This is also the reason why a similar thing happens in rural areas of course.

Last edited:
Funny Side Note

The hotel I booked is soooo creepy it looks like the shinning was filmed here. Its an old train station they converted. I might stroke out. Hahaha Good Luck with interviews!

Funny Side Note

The hotel I booked is soooo creepy it looks like the shinning was filmed here. Its an old train station they converted. I might stroke out. Hahaha Good Luck with interviews!

hahah I walked by that hotel! I heard they did a really great renovation though!!

Funny Side Note

You are the 5th person (my own friends and fellow interviewees) who made the Shining comment. The lobby is gorgeous though, but anytime I had to leave my room, I kept expecting to see creepy twins in the hallway.

My room was also near the elevator so I could hear footsteps all the time. I kept expecting Jack Nicholson to bust a hole in my door and peer into my room. Scary @_@

The lobby is gorgeous though.

Last edited:
I just got an email 0 minutes ago about how my application will be forwarded to the admissions committee...almost a full month after I interviewed there.

Match day is today!!! Anyone know where to find the match list for TCMC?

There's only 5 matches for the class of 2013?

"Military programs (2) Madigan Army Medical Center and Walter Reed National Military Center
Ophthalmology (1) Case Western
Urology (1) SUNY Buffalo"

http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/ResidencyMatch

No, the military has its own separate match that occurs before the match in March, and ophtho and urology also have their own matches that occur prior to the March match, too.

No, the military has its own separate match that occurs before the match in March, and ophtho and urology also have their own matches that occur prior to the March match, too.

Yeah. I just don't think they've posted it on the website yet. I interviewed on Monday when the matched/unmatched info came out, and I only saw happy,matched people--no sad unmatched people. So at least most people definitely matched. :)

I only saw happy,matched people--no sad unmatched people. So at least most people definitely matched. :)

That's good to hear! I'm excited to see the full list.

Last edited:
Yeah. I just don't think they've posted it on the website yet. I interviewed on Monday when the matched/unmatched info came out, and I only saw happy,matched people--no sad unmatched people. So at least most people definitely matched. :)

The TCMC facebook page posted a lot of happy pictures also :) I'm excited to see the actual list!

Interviewing on April 10th... anyone else attending? Am i only interviewing for wait list spots?

Science gpa 3.8
Overall 3.75
Mcat 29... had a panic attack during the test

4th year student here. Excellent Match Day results for my class. Very proud of everyone that will be attending wonderful programs across the board. I got my #1 and that was the situation for most people. Those that didn't get their #1 are still going to great programs. Only the most difficult specialties had some difficulty in the match but still obtained positions in surgery. Even so we matched students into Opthalmology, Urology, ENT, Orthopedics, and Radiation Oncology.

Interviewing on April 10th... anyone else attending? Am i only interviewing for wait list spots?

Science gpa 3.8
Overall 3.75
Mcat 29... had a panic attack during the test

Not interviewing for a wl spot...We were told on interview day that they are pretty conservative with sending outright acceptances and therefore, there are still spots open til the very end. Also they are not sending out wl status until everyone is reviewed. g'luck

This sounds great! Any in neurosurgery or derm?

4th year student here. Excellent Match Day results for my class. Very proud of everyone that will be attending wonderful programs across the board. I got my #1 and that was the situation for most people. Those that didn't get their #1 are still going to great programs. Only the most difficult specialties had some difficulty in the match but still obtained positions in surgery. Even so we matched students into Opthalmology, Urology, ENT, Orthopedics, and Radiation Oncology.

Fourth year student here

I am going into IM in New York City

No derm or plastics because no one had interest (or no one is that competitive)

The final list will be out soon but about 50% primary care (IM, FM, peds, obgyn)
(Keep in mind those in IM will want to subspecialize)

About 25% surgery (a few ortho, one ENT, and other general)

4 radiologists

1 optho in Cleveland

1 radonc in Philly

1 urology in buffalo

A handful of emergency medicine

This is just off the top of my head so a full list is needed later

However, a few students did reach too far for specialties with CVs that were not competitive enough

Hence the SOAP process included about 7-8 students

I must add there was quite a bit of attrition

65 matriculated

56 matched/soaped

Not like it matters now, but does any one know the matriculant stats for TCMC?

Fourth year student here

I must add there was quite a bit of attrition

65 matriculated

56 matched/soaped

It seems like a lot of people dropped out. I thought that was unusual for a med school--why did so many people drop out?

not drop out.

1 was expelled for criminal reasons

1 decided to do a research year in order to graduate with significant other (who is in the year below)

1 failed Step 1 and had to take a significant time off to retake it

2 are doing international things...

2 are doing an extra year of research before applications (in order to get a stronger application)

1 had a tremendous amount of personal/family difficulties

here is the full match list (sans names of course for privacyc reasons)

- Radiology: Thomas Jefferson University, PA
Medicine prelim: Christiana Care Health System, DE
- Radiology: NCC Walther Reed national Medical Center, MD
- Radiology: Madigan Army Medical Center, WA
- Radiology: Case Western Medical Center, OH
Transitional: WVU School of Medicine

- Gen Surgery: University of Pittsburgh, PA
- Gen Surgery: Jackson Memorial Hospital, FL
- Gen Surgery: University of Virginia, VA
- Gen Surgery: Lehigh Valley Hospital, PA
- Gen Surgery: Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, VA
- Gen Surgery: University of Pittsburgh, PA

- Urology: SUNY Buffalo, NY
Prelim, surgery: SUNY Bufflalo, NY

- Orthopedic: Albert Einstein Medical Center, PA
- Orthopedic: UConn School of Medicine, CT
- Orthopedic: UConn School of Medicine, CT

- Surgery, prelim: Montefiorre (uncertain if Wakefield or Moses/Weller; this was a SOAP)
- Surgery, prelim: Baystate Medical Center, MA (this was another SOAP)
- Surgery, prelim: Guthrie/Robert Packer Hospital, PA (this was another SOAP)
- Surgery, prelim: Hershey Medical Center/Penn State, PA (this was another SOAP)

(Notably, all of these SOAP'd applicants all went for Ortho. I will comment two of these did not have the most competitive of CVs and did not bother to apply to Gen Surgery; 1 individual had 15 interviews but had an acerbic personality; the final one was attempting a couple's match but had certain other politically incorrect factors going against this person; so take what lessons you will from this)

- ENT: SUNY Upstate Medical University

- OBGYN: St. Lukes Hospital, Bethlehem, PA
- OBGYN: University of Rochester/Strong Memorial Hospital, NY
- OBGYN: Abington Memorial Hospitl, PA
- OBGYN: Reading Hospital Medical Center, PA
- OBGYN: Medical University of South Carolina, SC
- OBGYN: Good Samaritan Hospital, OH
- OBGYN: Sinai Hospital, MD

- RadOnc: Fox Chase Cancer Center, PA
Medicine prelim: Abington Memorial Hospital, PA

- Psychiatry: University of New Mexico School of Medicine, NM
- Psychiatry University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA