2008-2009 Jefferson Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont exactly have stellar stats. on top of that i am an international, lol. im screwed worse than a turkey on thanksgiving

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone apply for the PSAP at Jefferson? Did you hear anything today since they were making their decision?

PS, I have to admit I was getting scared yesterday. I thought they would call yesterday if I was accepted. However, pre-med advisor said not to worry....yet. Hopefully, it works out!! Dr. Rabinowitz and Dr. Markham are 2 of the best people I've met in my life. I'd love to have their support during medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi han14tra--

I'm also PSAP and was told that my decision would be yesterday as well. No call or email yet.

I'm crossing my fingers as well. Would be lovely to be classmates together.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your interview! :)

Jefferson and their silent rejections scare me... :laugh: They should have said they weren't going to call yesterday. I nearly had a MI when I didn't hear anything. :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Trying to have faith tonight. Only a few more hours until I call the admissions office. I can't think about anything else. [-o<

Matthew 17:20
I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

I am seriously going to pray tonight. I really hope Jefferson has some good news for me tomorrow. :xf:

What time does Dr. Callahan usually call at?

Based on what I've seen on this thread and when she called me, sometime between 2 and 4. Remember that Wednesdays are when they interview candidates as well, so she's busy for much of the day and probably makes the calls whenever she gets a chance.

I don't know about others, but she called me around 4 pm when I started loosing hope somewhat :) I actually talked to my friend just minutes before she called and complained how the day is almost over and I haven't heard from Jeff... and then i saw philly area code on my phone and my heart jumped...i just knew it's her..... good luck!

Before I got the call I was working this out in my head as well. I think the Adcom meets from 12-2pm based on posts from previous years. Also, we know that they have the cookie session with interviewees from about 3 to 4. I would assume that calls are most likely to come in between 2 - 3 pm and 4 -5 pm. My call came around 2:45.

Members don't see this ad :)
For PSAP, they called on Monday. I'm IN!!!! :biglove::soexcited:
Dr. Callahan called on Monday morning around 11 am.

Has anyone heard from Dr. Callahan today?

I think that there is a good chance that they are not meeting today to make decisions on candidates. At the very least, they are not interviewing today. Those awaiting word may have to wait at least another week or more. :nod:

For PSAP, they called on Monday. I'm IN!!!! :biglove::soexcited:
Dr. Callahan called on Monday morning around 11 am.

Congrats to you!

I just called the admissions office and they haven't made a decision on my app. They said they should have one by next Wed.

This Wednesday waiting is killing me. 3 weeks for me.... Should I call?

This Wednesday waiting is killing me. 3 weeks for me.... Should I call?

You can call or email. When I was in your position at 3 weeks post interview I emailed Dr. Callahan and she was very helpful.

Finally got an email response.... I should be receiving correspondence shortly, I guess that is a waitlist.....:(

Do you guys think that the 2 week guideline still applies for 11/19 interviewees since last week was Thanksgiving? That would mean we hear back tomorrow.......SO NERVOUS

Anyone know why its cheaper to live in Orlowitz than it is in Barringer? Also, can any current Jeff students tell me if you are happy with the on-campus apartments. Can you hear footsteps from the people overhead? The ceiling is so thin at my undergrad university. The girl that lives above me kept me up until 1 am last night stomping around her room. I won't be able to handle that in medical school. How are the dorms at Jeff?

Thanks!

Today could be the day! :D Has anyone gotten a phone call yet?

me too me too!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was so excited i was just like "THANK YOU SO MUCH ok bye" and hung up and called everyone :D

I interviewed today. Such an amazing school with awesome people! Congrats everyone. Hopefully I'll see you there... :D

Anyone know why its cheaper to live in Orlowitz than it is in Barringer? Also, can any current Jeff students tell me if you are happy with the on-campus apartments. Can you hear footsteps from the people overhead? The ceiling is so thin at my undergrad university. The girl that lives above me kept me up until 1 am last night stomping around her room. I won't be able to handle that in medical school. How are the dorms at Jeff?

Thanks!

I asked some friends who have lived in one or the other building. The rooms in Barringer seem a little larger than Orlowitz, but everyone agreed it's a pretty negligible difference. Barringer has a nice little exercise room with a couple of treadmills, elliptical, etc on the first floor. There's a big window to the street though, so people end up watching you work out. I don't think Orlowitz has any exercise equipment. Either way, theres a decent gym under Alumni hall that is one block from both places so that really shouldn't be a deciding factor. In my opinion, Barringer looks nicer from the outside, but inside the rooms they seem on par. I'm not sure about the thickness of the walls but I have never heard anything from other apartments while I was in either place. No idea about the other dorms, my friends only live in those two buildings.

Thanks!

Congrats on getting into Jefferson.

I currently live in a 1 bedroom apt in Barringer and have friends who live in Orlowitz. There's really only 2 differences of note when comparing the 2.

1. Barringer apartments usually have dishwashers, while Orlowitz apartments rarely do.

2. The layout is slightly different in regards to the kitchen. In Orlowitz, the kitchen is separated from the living room by a wall, while in Barringer it's opened up so that there's a bigger counter space.

Besides that, everything else is a pretty minor difference. Orlowitz recently got new exercise equipment in the basement which evens things up on that front. As for the walls, they're pretty solid in both buildings. I haven't had to deal with very much noise.

The third option for on-campus housing is Martin, but I would advise against it. It's dorm-style housing, which is much cheaper, but the rooms can be pretty cruddy. If you can afford the apartments I would suggest living in Orlowitz or Barringer.

Thank you!
I checked previous posts, and several people said that Orlowitz is known for cock roaches, mice, fire alarms, construction noise, etc.

However, you both haven't mentioned any of that so I'm guessing the situation has changed from several years ago. How is housing determined? Is it a first-come/first-serve or a lottery?

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive a waitlist/rejection letter? I interviewed 3 weeks ago today and haven't heard anything, so I assume that I have been waitlisted/rejected. I just wondered how long it takes the letter to arrive.:confused:

Thank you!
I checked previous posts, and several people said that Orlowitz is known for cock roaches, mice, fire alarms, construction noise, etc.

However, you both haven't mentioned any of that so I'm guessing the situation has changed from several years ago. How is housing determined? Is it a first-come/first-serve or a lottery?

Well, I know that last year there were some concerns about cockroaches on the lower floors of Orlowitz, but it hasn't seemed to be a problem yet this year. As for the fire alarms, at the beginning of the year (like August) there were some issues with people setting it off in both buildings, but that hasn't been an issue in a long time. Construction is a different issue altogether, haha. This year there's been a lot of construction going on in Philadelphia and at Jefferson so there were a few weeks where the jackhammering started around 6:30 AM, but it's something you deal with as they fix up the streets and sidewalks. It's recently been better, but there are no guarantees that you won't have to deal with that noise wherever you are in the city.

From what I know, housing is determined as a first-come/first-serve basis...sort of. What I mean by that is that they don't start assigning housing until a certain date and if your housing application is in by then, then it gets lumped together with everyone else who put their application in early. Basically it's best to put your housing application in as soon as popssible. I know that Jefferson guarantees housing for all med students who apply for housing by a certain date, but the later you apply, the more likely you'll be put in less than optimal housing arrangements like 3 ppl in a 2 BR apt, or 2 ppl in a 1 BR apt (the upside for this is that you pay way less for rent).

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive a waitlist/rejection letter? I interviewed 3 weeks ago today and haven't heard anything, so I assume that I have been waitlisted/rejected. I just wondered how long it takes the letter to arrive.:confused:

Don't assume that! I know from experience it's a bad bad assumption. Did you read the previous posts in this thread? I received my acceptance call from Dr. Callahan 4 weeks post interview and so did another person that interviewed with me. It all depends on when your interviewer can make a Wed. meeting. If you were wait listed they send you a letter, but from other posts on here I think that comes about a week after they decide. If you have not received anything the verdict may still be out. Seriously stay hopeful, and if you're freaking out just give them a call/email. I got the impression from all of my interactions that they love to hear from applicants/students. It's one of the reasons I like the school so much.

does anyone know how common it is to receive an interview invite after January? i assumed jefferson was waiting for my fall 2008 grades and that's why i hadn't heard anything from them... but now i'm wondering how likely it'll be that i even receive an interview invite at this point.

as a general inquiry (not specific to jefferson), do schools generally send out rejection letters throughout the application season, or should we take silence to mean rejection? i read earlier in this thread that an applicant from last year never heard anything from jefferson, not even a formal rejection letter/email.

as a general inquiry (not specific to jefferson), do schools generally send out rejection letters throughout the application season, or should we take silence to mean rejection? i read earlier in this thread that an applicant from last year never heard anything from jefferson, not even a formal rejection letter/email.

Most schools send out rejection letters throughout the season, but there are some schools that are notorious for silent rejections, Jefferson is definitely one of them, the other is Drexel. Several people I know of haven't heard from U of Rochester since August, but from the rejection thread, it seems that some have gotten rejections from them. Columbia doesn't send out rejection letters till March, but they do reject people, they just don't tell you till then. Northwestern might be another one, but I'm not sure about that.

On another note, is everyone sending their fall grades to all the schools they haven't heard from? That's a lot of formal transcript requests...

Most schools send out rejection letters throughout the season, but there are some schools that are notorious for silent rejections, Jefferson is definitely one of them, the other is Drexel. Several people I know of haven't heard from U of Rochester since August, but from the rejection thread, it seems that some have gotten rejections from them. Columbia doesn't send out rejection letters till March, but they do reject people, they just don't tell you till then. Northwestern might be another one, but I'm not sure about that.

On another note, is everyone sending their fall grades to all the schools they haven't heard from? That's a lot of formal transcript requests...

i've sent my fall grades. i figure it's a small investment considering all the application $ i've put in so far.

for schools that are known for silent rejections... what's the proper way to find out one way or the other? i call every few weeks and i'm basically told that i'm complete and to wait. :( waiting sucks

i've sent my fall grades. i figure it's a small investment considering all the application $ i've put in so far.

for schools that are known for silent rejections... what's the proper way to find out one way or the other? i call every few weeks and i'm basically told that i'm complete and to wait. :( waiting sucks

Did you sent one to Jefferson? Just mail to admission's office?

There's really not much anyone can do about silent rejections...I haven't heard anything from here either and have pretty much given up.

How much is the tuition for 2009? Anyone know how much Jeff hands out in scholarships, and when you're notified?

Did you sent one to Jefferson? Just mail to admission's office?

There's really not much anyone can do about silent rejections...I haven't heard anything from here either and have pretty much given up.

yep, fall 2008 transcript should be on its way as we speak. what they'll do with it or if they'll even care is up in the air.

did they ask you for your grades. or did you just send them. sidenote: i think it really blows that schools like jefferson don't send rejection letters. we paid money for them to look at our apps and it's like they can't even be bothered. i know we are the ones applying to their school but it's like kinda rude to just ignore us. schools like jefferson suck when they pull crap like this

Woah...just got an interview invite out of the blue. I was complete so long ago I thought this was a silent rejection.

I don't know if I'll go to this interview...does anyone know the strength of the MD/MPH program + scholarships??

Woah...just got an interview invite out of the blue. I was complete so long ago I thought this was a silent rejection.

I don't know if I'll go to this interview...does anyone know the strength of the MD/MPH program + scholarships??

Wow this gives me hope that schools are still sending out interview invites! :xf:

congrats! do you mind giving your stats?

Wow, me too. I'm very surprised...but happy. I thought i was done getting interviews. I will definitely go though :laugh:. Congrats to you nina.

congrats! do you mind giving your stats?

Sure no problem. 3.4 (with grade update = 3.5 but I'm not sure if I gave Jefferson a grade update). 34 MCAT

I applied MD/MPH if that makes any difference. Still haven't decided on this school. I haven't heard anything about it (either good or bad)

Wow, me too. I'm very surprised...but happy. I thought i was done getting interviews. I will definitely go though :laugh:. Congrats to you nina.

Congrats to you as well! :)

For those of you who have been accepted, does your online secondary status still say "Attended Interview" or does it say accepted?

For those of you who have been accepted, does your online secondary status still say "Attended Interview" or does it say accepted?

Still says attended interview. Nothing changed after I got the acceptance call.

been complete since early sept and not a peep from them....anyone know how much invites go to OOS applicants?

Status
Not open for further replies.