2008-2009 Rosalind Franklin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I didn't hear back yet. I'll post the answer once I get the reply.

edit: here's the reply that i got from student housing:

The quarters depend on what program you are with.
For example, a M1 is a 3 quarters and a Path Asst is a 4 quarter.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just cancelled my interview which is next Tuesday, April 7th.

Hope it could go to anybody who wants an earlier interview data!

I got accepted back in October but the only e-mail I've gotten is an e-mail about financial aid...is that right?

Also, for the Canadians planning on going to RFU, does anyone know when we get the visa stuff....like when we have to apply for the visa?

It sucks going so long without hearing anything..I'm getting a little paranoid that I'm not still holding my seat...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted back in October but the only e-mail I've gotten is an e-mail about financial aid...is that right?

Also, for the Canadians planning on going to RFU, does anyone know when we get the visa stuff....like when we have to apply for the visa?

It sucks going so long without hearing anything..I'm getting a little paranoid that I'm not still holding my seat...

If you are ever feeling nervous about anything concerning your acceptance or procedures moving forward I would recommend calling the number they provided for people they have accepted. One quick phone call should clear things up.

Canadians don't need a visa to study in the States. We need an I-20 form and financial documents that state we can pay for the first year of tuition before the US Customs Officer allows us into the country. Also, I called to ask when we get our I-20 form and I think CMS said that the I-20 form becomes valid about 30 or 60 days (or something like that) before classes start, so they'll give us the form around late spring/early summer (after May at least).

For anyone still waiting for an interview, I just got an invite this morning! I don't think I'll be going, so hopefully that will open a spot for someone out there who would like it. Good luck!

ditto here, just got an interview invite this morning. Just wondering if interviewing this late in the season is going to be a major drawback......has anyone heard one way or the other?

Good luck to everyone.

ditto here, just got an interview invite this morning. Just wondering if interviewing this late in the season is going to be a major drawback......has anyone heard one way or the other?

Good luck to everyone.

Hey if you don't mind, what dates were they offering to you, are they now scheduling in May?

For anyone still waiting for an interview, I just got an invite this morning! I don't think I'll be going, so hopefully that will open a spot for someone out there who would like it. Good luck!

Can I have that invite? :laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the info.

I'm filling out those forms and the financial aid forms I found at

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn...id/Forms/Applications/tabid/1963/Default.aspx

It would be nice if the school sent us these links in the acceptance email... Ah well, I still <3 you RFUMS :D

Does anyone who filled out the financial aid forms have any suggestions on choosing a lender for Stafford or Grad PLUS Loans? They seem to have all the same interest rates according to the lender list posted at the above site.

I'm confused so thanks for any help!

Does anyone who filled out the financial aid forms have any suggestions on choosing a lender for Stafford or Grad PLUS Loans? They seem to have all the same interest rates according to the lender list posted at the above site.

I'm confused so thanks for any help!

i'm wondering the exact same thing! not sure how to figure it out

Does anyone know what the tuition is for 2009-2010? Can't find it listed ANYWHERE on their website!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
for those accepted march 16, has anybody got their financial aid form from CMS by email yet?

thank you.

i hope i hope i hope!:luck:

If you look back a little earlier in this thread someone found the financial aid forms online and some of us filled them out before they sent them to us. Here is the link:

http://66.99.255.20/dnn/administrat...id/Forms/Applications/tabid/1963/Default.aspx

i'm ineligible for aid, but thanks for the link; i'm actually wondering if ppl have gotten the fin aid email from cms admissions b/c i haven't heard from the admissions office for awhile and i'm a bit worried about whether i still have my seat. only those who've been confirmed to be matriculating get that financial aid email (regardless if they're eligible for it or not), and since i haven't gotten the email yet, i'm curious as to whether i'm still in or they just haven't sent them out....:)

Last edited:
hi everyone, i'm new to this board, i got into rfums and im pretty sure that i'll be going here...i haven't gotten any kind of packet either, i'm hoping it's in the mail. i'm a little nervous to be moving to the midwest, i'm from california and have been to chicago a few times but only saw tourist stuff...is anyone else from california?

i'm ineligible for aid, but thanks for the link; i'm actually wondering if ppl have gotten the fin aid email from cms admissions b/c i haven't heard from the admissions office for awhile and i'm a bit worried about whether i still have my seat. only those who've been confirmed to be matriculating get that financial aid email (regardless if they're eligible for it or not), and since i haven't gotten the email yet, i'm curious as to whether i'm still in or they just haven't sent them out....:)

I don't think they've sent them out. I was accepted a month before you, sent in my deposit right away, and got an acknowledgment from CMS ("We’ve received your letter of intent and look forward to welcoming you to the Chicago Medical School Class of 2013!"). But that was on 2/24, and I haven't heard a thing from them since then. I only filled out the housing application because I read about it here on SDN.

Although I'm not worried that my place in the class has somehow disappeared, I am starting to get a little concerned about the lack of communication.

thanks student1799 for the reply. i too am a bit worried about the lack of communication...i've received a confirmation email for my declaration of intent and student housing deposit, but that's about it.

Kalia I got the financial aid package maybe in February or something (the e-mail I mean) and I got in back in October so it did take them a long time to send it...and I'm not eligible either so you should have gotten it.

When they acknowledged my letter of intent, the e-mail said: we'll be putting up info on our website for new students soon..stay tuned!!! so then I got all excited and nothing ever came...they are surprisingly quiet...seems like everyone is getting worried about that:confused:

thanks student1799 for the reply. i too am a bit worried about the lack of communication...i've received a confirmation email for my declaration of intent and student housing deposit, but that's about it.

Relax, no one has gotten anything yet! And the number for accepted students is there for use as well.

last interview date is May 11th (according to the admissions office) :xf:

last interview date is May 11th (according to the admissions office) :xf:

So... does anyone think the admissions committee will meet prior to the last interview? I would guess not, since there may not be many acceptances dropped between now and then, but I sure hope to hear sooner than the middle of next month.

cappie- I'm from Oregon, not exactly Cali but the left coast at least! What are you most nervous about?

L743- they have said they meet every month - and it doesn't seem like they've met in April yet (maybe I'm wrong) but my guess would be you'll hear sooner than May 15th!

hi everyone, i'm new to this board, i got into rfums and im pretty sure that i'll be going here...i haven't gotten any kind of packet either, i'm hoping it's in the mail. i'm a little nervous to be moving to the midwest, i'm from california and have been to chicago a few times but only saw tourist stuff...is anyone else from california?

LOL, you'll fit right in... maybe things have changed, but something like 70% of my class is from California.

Thanks AJaye. I hope they liked me as much as I liked them.

Hi everyone,
I'm flying out to Chicago to interview at Rosalind Franklin and I had a question about getting from the airport to the hotel. Has anybody here used the American Taxi service? Do I have to call and book a cab ahead of time, or do I do that when I arrive in Chicago? Also, what have people been paying for cab fare, with just a normal cab and not through a cab service?

Hi everyone,
I'm flying out to Chicago to interview at Rosalind Franklin and I had a question about getting from the airport to the hotel. Has anybody here used the American Taxi service? Do I have to call and book a cab ahead of time, or do I do that when I arrive in Chicago? Also, what have people been paying for cab fare, with just a normal cab and not through a cab service?

assuming you are flying to o'hare, don't worry about calling ahead for a cab. there are always hundreds of taxis sitting outside the airport and there are labeled cab-stands. you will be taking quite a drive up to RFU, so just make sure you tell the guy at the stand where you are going - but i can't imagine it would be a problem to accommodate you on the spot. as far as price, my guess would be expect to pay ~$60 to get to north chicago. that being said, i have been through o'hare dozens of times, but i have never taken a cab that far - try to get someone else to verify what i just said.

This is to anyone who is already a student at RFU. Do you find it difficult/stressful having a letter grading system? How difficult is it to do well in your courses? Thanks!

If you use american taxi, it's $43 (+tip)
I didn't take the taxi from OHare to RFU but, I did call ahead for the taxi from RFU to the airport. Taxi normally waits at the front entrance at RFU

If you use american taxi, it's $43 (+tip)
I didn't take the taxi from OHare to RFU but, I did call ahead for the taxi from RFU to the airport. Taxi normally waits at the front entrance at RFU

I was thinking about doing this, but then would that mean bringing my luggage to RFU while I interview? Or is it possible to have the American Taxi cab wait at my hotel, instead of RFU?

I was thinking about doing this, but then would that mean bringing my luggage to RFU while I interview? Or is it possible to have the American Taxi cab wait at my hotel, instead of RFU?

if you call, you can have a cab pick you up where-ever you would like. i'm not sure how this work, however, because you will probably have to check out of your hotel by 11 am or noon and the interview day won't end until around 2 pm. (unless there are less interviewees => the day is shorter, since we are so late in the cycle)

i would just recommend bringing your luggage with you to the school - you wouldn't be the first person to do it.

Hi everyone,

You don't need to call American Cab. There is a van service called Suburban Express that operates out of kiosks in the baggage claim areas in O'Hare, and you can book a ride with them. They charge $45 to Waukegan (assuming that's where you're staying), which includes tip, and they take credit cards since you pay in the terminal. When I landed, I saw the kiosk and said I wanted to go to Waukegan; they sold me the ticket, but I waited about 15 minutes until they had another passenger also going to the town.

On the way back to O'Hare, you should check with other interviewees to see if anyone is willing to split a cab with you (use American Cab). I did this, and we each paid about $27 including the tip.

I was thinking about doing this, but then would that mean bringing my luggage to RFU while I interview?

Yes, but this is no problem (I did it myself, and so did many other people). The admissions office has a closet where you can store your luggage, and it is right in view of the receptionist so security is no problem. I wouldn't recommend going back to your hotel before leaving: it will just cost you unnecessary time and money.

Does anyone know when tuition is due for RFU? Is it the first week of school? I assume they probably let you make payments but when is the first payment due then??

If you do loans, they take the tuition out before giving you living expenses.

Just got an email linking me to the website with a checklist of all the forms we need. It requires a username/password though.

Quick summary:

-We need to send an official transcript to them when our degree is posted
-We need to do the background check and fill out some sort of separate disclosure form as well
-the financial aid forms we already found
-immunization forms

Some stuff about orientation... But mostly stuff we already figured out.

Anyone know when the committee meets this month?

Hey, can anyone tell me the price ranges for the campus housing? 1 or 2 bedroom?

Thanks!

Anyone know when the committee meets this month?

if it wasn't yesterday or today, i would be amazed if they do not meet by the end of this week. that's just a guess though...they surprised us with an extra meeting last month.

Hey, can anyone tell me the price ranges for the campus housing? 1 or 2 bedroom?

Thanks!

for a 1 br, it's $9750. for a 2 br, it's 7386 (per person obviously).

check here for more info: http://66.99.255.20/dnn/administrat...g/ProspectiveResidents/tabid/612/Default.aspx

does anybody know if student health insurance is automatically included in the school's quarterly tuition fees?

thanks.

if it wasn't yesterday or today, i would be amazed if they do not meet by the end of this week. that's just a guess though...they surprised us with an extra meeting last month.

Thanks.

I hope the second meeting last month doesn't mean we're going to have to wait until May to hear. Maybe they're just meeting more often because May 15th is coming up.

Keeping my fingers crossed....

I'm too lazy to go back and verify this but I thought it said that you can get the health insurance waived (by giving them a waiver form) but if you don't get it waived, they will automatically put you on their insurance. There's a section in the info they sent us yesterday about that.

Which yes, I think meant that they just add it to the rest of your fees.

So we don't have to pay 40,000 dollars up front then? We only have to pay 10,000 in August?

does anybody know if student health insurance is automatically included in the school's quarterly tuition fees?

thanks.

anyone have any luck with an in the area e-mail? i just sent one recently...:xf:

Not yet :( Every time I call, no one is in the office. And sending an email, the response is never personal, always a general your application is complete and still under review. This is getting really frustrating!!!:bang: I hope they are sending out more invites. That would be awesome :)

It must have been recently.

Oh, and accepted. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.