You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 SUNY Downstate Secondary Application Thread
Started by ar2388
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know about how many weeks after the interview we can expect a decision? I interviewed a few weeks ago, and I was just wondering about how long after the interview I can expect a decision. I have other interviews lined up, but Downstate is my top choice, and I would like to plan around that accordingly.
thank you.
thank you.
I heard back last year around the 10-11 week range but I'd like to think that was a little on the longer side. So you can reasonably expect an answer within that time range. No guarantees though. Stuff happens. Godspeed.Does anybody know about how many weeks after the interview we can expect a decision? I interviewed a few weeks ago, and I was just wondering about how long after the interview I can expect a decision. I have other interviews lined up, but Downstate is my top choice, and I would like to plan around that accordingly.
thank you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2
235009
does downstate want us to bring anything with us to the interview? do they want a picture?
Does anybody know about how many weeks after the interview we can expect a decision? I interviewed a few weeks ago, and I was just wondering about how long after the interview I can expect a decision. I have other interviews lined up, but Downstate is my top choice, and I would like to plan around that accordingly.
thank you.
It definitely varies from applicant to applicant. I and others managed to hear back in 5-6 weeks.
So definitely, try to be patient!
I just recieved an interviw offer today for feb 10. does anyone know if a feb interview=waitlist?
It does not at all... I interviewed feb. 12th two years ago and I was admitted without being put on the waitlist. 👍
I heard in a month, though I know the SUNY's have great variability in decision times. There are people who hear in 3 weeks and people who hear in 3 months. So to answer your question.....😕Does anybody know about how many weeks after the interview we can expect a decision? I interviewed a few weeks ago, and I was just wondering about how long after the interview I can expect a decision. I have other interviews lined up, but Downstate is my top choice, and I would like to plan around that accordingly.
thank you.
Good luck
I heard in a month, though I know the SUNY's have great variability in decision times. There are people who hear in 3 weeks and people who hear in 3 months. So to answer your question.....😕
Good luck
Did you write them a LOInterest or Intent after interviewing?
I heard in about 6 weeks after interviewing. By the way I never wrote a LOI or anything of this sort.
I'm past 8 weeks post-interview and still haven't heard anything. Wonder if it's because I'm OOS.
pfft. that's nothing compared to mine. It just reached 11 weeks post-interview for me and still no word. Here's to hoping they've reviewed my file this week.
Oh, and I'm IS. Go figure.

No LOI. I think I just got lucky with my interviewer. Really cool guy with a very similar background as me, so I'm sure he put in a good word. It was a pretty interesting interview actually because the guy was so blunt about which schools were better or worse than downstate. He asked where else I was looking and told me which ones I should put ahead of downstate and which ones I shouldn't.Did you write them a LOInterest or Intent after interviewing?
Wow, I had the same experience; my interviewer and I have a similar background and he was also frank about the other schools I am applying to. I thought my interviewer was trying to determine whether the school was my back upNo LOI. I think I just got lucky with my interviewer. Really cool guy with a very similar background as me, so I'm sure he put in a good word. It was a pretty interesting interview actually because the guy was so blunt about which schools were better or worse than downstate. He asked where else I was looking and told me which ones I should put ahead of downstate and which ones I shouldn't.
. Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, I had the same experience; my interviewer and I have a similar background and he was also frank about the other schools I am applying to. I thought my interviewer was trying to determine whether the school was my back up.
Same here! My interviewer also specialized in the specific field of medicine that I am interested in (even though I hadn't even mentioned it in my essays there 😱). What are the odds?
Our similarities were not limited our interests; we also grew up under similar conditions, with similar responsibilities and concerns in our 20s. I thought they hired a spySame here! My interviewer also specialized in the specific field of medicine that I am interested in (even though I hadn't even mentioned it in my essays there 😱). What are the odds?
and did an extensive background check on me 😏, then put all that spy work together and used it to find the appropriate interviewer.I've been complete mid Nov at downstate and was curious if that is typical wait to hear for an interview invite or if that equates into a silent rejection until they get around to sending out the real thing somewhere down the road. Would a call to admin be brushed off or could it be useful?
any advice appreciated, congrats to those with accepts and invites, i'm quite jealous 🙂
any advice appreciated, congrats to those with accepts and invites, i'm quite jealous 🙂
they usually notify both accepted and rejected applicants within 6-8 weeks.I've been complete mid Nov at downstate and was curious if that is typical wait to hear for an interview invite or if that equates into a silent rejection until they get around to sending out the real thing somewhere down the road. Would a call to admin be brushed off or could it be useful?
any advice appreciated, congrats to those with accepts and invites, i'm quite jealous 🙂
they usually notify both accepted and rejected applicants within 6-8 weeks.
I believe irish meant PRE-INTERVIEW, but I remember Ms. Levine telling me it takes 8-10 weeks post-interview to hear a decision.
Got an interview invite on 1/21 for 2/23. DS is probably my top realistic choice, and I don't have any acceptances yet, so this was an exciting invite.
If I don't get into med school this cycle, I'll likely be living in Brooklyn next year anyway. I'm from the suburbs of NJ so I'm quite familiar with the five boroughs. I've got lots of friends and family in the area, and made that clear in my secondary.
Seems like lots of people on here are getting in. I couldn't find data on accepted vs. matriculated so maybe the accepted numbers are quite a bit higher? Or SDN is just a terrible representative sample..
I'll be reading the interview feedback, but any general advice?
Good luck to all who are waiting.
If I don't get into med school this cycle, I'll likely be living in Brooklyn next year anyway. I'm from the suburbs of NJ so I'm quite familiar with the five boroughs. I've got lots of friends and family in the area, and made that clear in my secondary.
Seems like lots of people on here are getting in. I couldn't find data on accepted vs. matriculated so maybe the accepted numbers are quite a bit higher? Or SDN is just a terrible representative sample..
I'll be reading the interview feedback, but any general advice?
Good luck to all who are waiting.
i interviewed recently, and the school was great. my interviewer was super friendly, it was very conversational. 2 things i hear they always ask are: how do you study (i was asked this), and why medicine (i was asked this indirectly). its an awesome school, good luck!Got an interview invite on 1/21 for 2/23. DS is probably my top realistic choice, and I don't have any acceptances yet, so this was an exciting invite.
If I don't get into med school this cycle, I'll likely be living in Brooklyn next year anyway. I'm from the suburbs of NJ so I'm quite familiar with the five boroughs. I've got lots of friends and family in the area, and made that clear in my secondary.
Seems like lots of people on here are getting in. I couldn't find data on accepted vs. matriculated so maybe the accepted numbers are quite a bit higher? Or SDN is just a terrible representative sample..
I'll be reading the interview feedback, but any general advice?
Good luck to all who are waiting.
I believe irish meant PRE-INTERVIEW, but I remember Ms. Levine telling me it takes 8-10 weeks post-interview to hear a decision.
After browsing the forum, it seems that following an interview, we should allow anywhere from 6-10 weeks to hear back? Hmmm, I interviewed on Jan. 5th so it looks like I'm in for quite the wait.
Downstate is without a doubt my top choice and waiting sooo long is going to be hard. Ugh.
P.S. - For anyone who is interested: Application Complete 9/3 , Invite 12/4, Interview 1/5.
Seems like lots of people on here are getting in. I couldn't find data on accepted vs. matriculated so maybe the accepted numbers are quite a bit higher? Or SDN is just a terrible representative sample..
Bingo. Don't worry about other applicants on SDN. The sample size is way too small compared to the thousands of applications the school gets.
I'll be reading the interview feedback, but any general advice?
I went to 6 interviews last year and Downstate's interview was the chillest. Sure, they do have a list of questions they want to get through but, thanks to my interviewer, I still got a better vibe compared to the interviews where the interviewer wasn't taking notes or whatnot. And I would definitely focus (among other things of course) on those two questions kac714 mentioned. Godspeed.
Downstate updated on their site that they have my fall semester grades. If they don't interview me after recieving a 4.0, thats proof that the whole fall semester grade thing is a crock of ****.
MAKE A DECISION ALREADY
MAKE A DECISION ALREADY

2
235009
Downstate updated on their site that they have my fall semester grades. If they don't interview me after recieving a 4.0, thats proof that the whole fall semester grade thing is a crock of ****.
MAKE A DECISION ALREADY![]()
the fall semester grades thing is BS. they asked for mine and then invited me for an interview a couple of months later before i even sent them. i think someone spoke of a similar experience earlier in this thread.
the fall semester grades thing is BS. they asked for mine and then invited me for an interview a couple of months later before i even sent them. i think someone spoke of a similar experience earlier in this thread.
... it's really not BS. They ask everyone for fall semester grades. If they know you're in school and you don't send it by the time they review your file it doesn't look good (esp. given the time of year we're in now). How important those grades are depends on the rest of your application. For some applicants it might be the difference maker, for others the application is strong enough or weak enough that it doesnt make a difference. They just ask for the grades for everyone who is in school that way the committee has the most imformation abou the applicant possible when they make their decision.
I don't remember being asked for my grades. I'll get on that asap... it's really not BS. They ask everyone for fall semester grades. If they know you're in school and you don't send it by the time they review your file it doesn't look good (esp. given the time of year we're in now). How important those grades are depends on the rest of your application. For some applicants it might be the difference maker, for others the application is strong enough or weak enough that it doesnt make a difference. They just ask for the grades for everyone who is in school that way the committee has the most imformation abou the applicant possible when they make their decision.
... it's really not BS. They ask everyone for fall semester grades. If they know you're in school and you don't send it by the time they review your file it doesn't look good (esp. given the time of year we're in now). How important those grades are depends on the rest of your application. For some applicants it might be the difference maker, for others the application is strong enough or weak enough that it doesnt make a difference. They just ask for the grades for everyone who is in school that way the committee has the most imformation abou the applicant possible when they make their decision.
not everyone...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been put on hold for spring consideration. Does anyone think it would help to retake the MCAT in April?...I have already submitted my deposit to another school, so not too much pressure...
I have been put on hold for spring consideration. Does anyone think it would help to retake the MCAT in April?...I have already submitted my deposit to another school, so not too much pressure...
Is this post interview? If it's pre-interview, I think the april MCAT is a little too late to make a difference. I don't think I'd put myself though all the studying again if it might not make a difference....
yeah.. if i got in somewhere and it was a nice place I would be happy at, i would definitely not retake the MCAT. once was enough, no?Is this post interview? If it's pre-interview, I think the april MCAT is a little too late to make a difference. I don't think I'd put myself though all the studying again if it might not make a difference....
I just got this too...Is this basically wait-list? I'm really upset at this but of well moving on to my other interviews...I guess its better that a rejection....I have been put on hold for spring consideration....
I have been put on hold for spring consideration. Does anyone think it would help to retake the MCAT in April?...I have already submitted my deposit to another school, so not too much pressure...
I just got this too...Is this basically wait-list? I'm really upset at this but of well moving on to my other interviews...I guess its better that a rejection....
When was the letter postmarked? How many weeks has it been since you interviewed? Thanks.

I interviewed in sept and put on hold in January. I am happy , but Downstate was my first choice for many reasons. Thanks for advice. Should I call and ask if retaking my mcat would help?
Definitely check out the interview feedback if you haven't already. The interviewer will have a list of questions they want to get through but don't let that affect you. I still got a better vibe compared to the interviews where the interviewer wasn't taking notes or whatnot.just got an interview invitation!!! sooooo excited, was complete late november! o I am sooo thankful. Thank You whowever is watchin out for me! This is only my second interview, any advice suggestions guys?
I don't know but I would say it doesn't matter. Unless you've already been accepted into a school higher on your list or you're not interested in the school, you should bring your A game to the interview.my interview date is feb 17th, am I being interviewed for a waitlist spot or an open spot of the class? thanks guys. people are scaring me, telling me different things.
my interview date is feb 17th, am I being interviewed for a waitlist spot or an open spot of the class? thanks guys. people are scaring me, telling me different things.
Like I've said earlier in the thread... Two years ago I interviewed 2/12 and I was accepted (and I had pretty average to slightly below-average stats). So I'd be willing to bet you're still interviewing for a real spot come 2/17.
Good luck!

I interviewed in sept and put on hold in January. I am happy , but Downstate was my first choice for many reasons. Thanks for advice. Should I call and ask if retaking my mcat would help?
I took the MCATs back when they were paper and pen, but I'd guess it probably wouldn't change things for this cycle (though it definitely could for next time around, if you need to do that). I suppose it couldn't hurt to call and ask, but I think at this point it's probably too late in the cycle to change the outcome.
2
235009
I interviewed in sept and put on hold in January. I am happy , but Downstate was my first choice for many reasons. Thanks for advice. Should I call and ask if retaking my mcat would help?
if you were offered an interview that means that on paper you are good enough to get in so i don't think retaking the MCAT will necessarily help you get off the waitlist
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks!! I hope so! will you be attending Downstate?
lo.... sorry I missed this again..... YES I will be going to DS DYNEZXICE (did i spell that right??)... It was my first interview and 1st acceptance. I Loved the school and cant really afford to keep interviewing for the sake of it. ALL you need is one!!! hang in there!!!
Hey, just wondering if anything similar happened to someone else...I just checked my status page and it now says "Additional Information Received" with a red X next to it and "AP English" under the comment section.
I guess I'll call the admissions office later today. I'm just kind of confused and was wondering if anyone else had the same thing.
I guess I'll call the admissions office later today. I'm just kind of confused and was wondering if anyone else had the same thing.
It's been 8 weeks since my interview & still no news 🙁
hang in there! It's coming.

- Status
- Not open for further replies.