2008-2009 Tulane Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently tulane has already handed out interviews !?! i thought they weren't coming until the end of august / beginning of sept ? ahh good luck to everyone :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

If I am sending a letter packet, is it okay if I send more than 3 letters? Does anyone have experience with this?

apparently tulane has already handed out interviews !?! i thought they weren't coming until the end of august / beginning of sept ? ahh good luck to everyone :luck::luck:

I think the invites just started coming out today, and since it's more than halfway through August, I guess this counts as the end of the month?

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am sending a letter packet, is it okay if I send more than 3 letters? Does anyone have experience with this?

In their secondary instructions, they say do not do this.

Well, I was thinking... a letter packet is similar to a committee letter, so they wouldn't penalize you if the 'packet' has to be 4 letters. right? i mean, you don't have any say in the committee letter, and so they can't punish you for sending it in.

Well, I was thinking... a letter packet is similar to a committee letter, so they wouldn't penalize you if the 'packet' has to be 4 letters. right? i mean, you don't have any say in the committee letter, and so they can't punish you for sending it in.

We cant control what is/isnt in our letter packet. If they only want to read three, then they can pick 3 out and throw away the rest for all I care.

From what I understand, we can only have 1 VE account per app cycle. And since many schools accept more than 3 letters/different combinations, many of us will put as many letters in one VE account (which is 5 for UCSD). And since Tulane doesn't accept US mailed LORs, I don't know how else to go around this except to ask my letter writers to fax or email the letter to them, which I don't think I could.

Point is, hopefully Tulane will accept this letter packet of 5 letters and just read the 3 that I list on the app. Can anyone confirm that Tulane will be ok with this or do I need to make a call?

Thanks!

Ya this secondary is terrible...I tried to submit it last night and kept getting an error page when trying to make my payment...the essays do have character limits, most of them are 1000, one of them is 500, really annoying that they can't tell you this until submitting

after you complete the secondary, did you receive any confirmation thorugh email? i submitted earlier this week, but when i sign on again, it looks like i can still make changes to the application. wierd??

after you complete the secondary, did you receive any confirmation thorugh email? i submitted earlier this week, but when i sign on again, it looks like i can still make changes to the application. wierd??

Yep, that is correct. It is a nutso system.. if you paid, then you're golden.

Nope. You have to call 504-988-5187 between the hours of 9am-2pm Central time on Tuesday or Thursday for status.

Nope. You have to call 504-988-5187 between the hours of 9am-2pm Central time on Tuesday or Thursday for status.

Wow.. they are not so nice on the phone. I sent a letter via fax and they said they did not have it, and furthermore, I could not resend it (even though it fills their requirements and was sent simultaneously). I'm sending an email and hoping for a better reply since the secretary sounded rather busy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.. they are not so nice on the phone. I sent a letter via fax and they said they did not have it, and furthermore, I could not resend it (even though it fills their requirements and was sent simultaneously). I'm sending an email and hoping for a better reply since the secretary sounded rather busy.

i sent an email about 2 weeks ago and have received no reply, so don't keep your fingers crossed...:rolleyes:

The email correspondence is amazingly slow, so I would recommend calling the admissions office and asking for Ms. Vargas. She's the one who can inform you whether or not everything is complete. If you have questions about your rec letters and whether or not they've been received, ask for Ms. Riley because she's the one handling that database.

The email correspondence is amazingly slow, so I would recommend calling the admissions office and asking for Ms. Vargas. She's the one who can inform you whether or not everything is complete. If you have questions about your rec letters and whether or not they've been received, ask for Ms. Riley because she's the one handling that database.

I'm a little discouraged given my first attempt -- but I will give this a shot. Thanks!

Hey guys! I just wanted to write, DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED with TULANE!!! It is a great school, and they are undergoing a lot of changes- moving into new buildings, changing curriculum (for the better), etc... They really care about their students and really make an effort to get to know you... It is worth the trouble applying, I can't emphasize this enough. I am in my second and half week and it has been amazing so far! There is so much opportunity to really make a difference where a health care system is so damaged... What a great learning experience for medical school. All older classman can't say nothing but good things so don't get mad, I understand applying is very stressful, but the staff is super friendly and I am sure they are just as frusterated with their operating system as you guys applying! Hope this helps! You can PM me if you would like more info!

Hey guys! I just wanted to write, DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED with TULANE!!! It is a great school, and they are undergoing a lot of changes- moving into new buildings, changing curriculum (for the better), etc... They really care about their students and really make an effort to get to know you... It is worth the trouble applying, I can't emphasize this enough. I am in my second and half week and it has been amazing so far! There is so much opportunity to really make a difference where a health care system is so damaged... What a great learning experience for medical school. All older classman can't say nothing but good things so don't get mad, I understand applying is very stressful, but the staff is super friendly and I am sure they are just as frusterated with their operating system as you guys applying! Hope this helps! You can PM me if you would like more info!

Thanks for that. It actually helped soothe the nerves a little. I left a message with the lady in charge of the letters of rec and i hope for a better experience this time around.

The payment processing page is not working today! This sucks. I want to send it off finally.

is anyone else having trouble submitting the application even after you've under the character limit for the essays? i am under the character limit but every time i try to save the changes to the second page i get an error message saying: "a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected."

thanks

I am too lazy to check but this application was the one with the "line" character limit right?

If so, you have to have the essay measure up to above the line, not at it...as in you should give the line some space above.

I am too lazy to check but this application was the one with the "line" character limit right?

If so, you have to have the essay measure up to above the line, not at it...as in you should give the line some space above.
\

No that one was Loyola.

Question: Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in the Tulane University School of Medicine.

My answer: N/A

Is that bad? :smuggrin:

So I've been calling Tulane Admissions just to check up on my app. I let it play hrough the message upon which it says it is transferring me to main office. BUT, I keep getting a message saying the office is closed, which is weird since I am only calling during the main office times. Anyone else dealing w/ this?

So I've been calling Tulane Admissions just to check up on my app. I let it play hrough the message upon which it says it is transferring me to main office. BUT, I keep getting a message saying the office is closed, which is weird since I am only calling during the main office times. Anyone else dealing w/ this?

Status checks are Tuesdays and Thursdays, before 2 PM CST. I got that message before during those hours, but I got through to a live person after calling back a few minutes later. Maybe they don't have call-waiting or something.

Question: Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in the Tulane University School of Medicine.

LOL...you must be joking...that would be too funny.

Based on that answer as well as your screen name, I'd accept you. :thumbup:

from my understanding from reading this thread, all the essays have a 1000 character limit, except one of them has a 500 char limit. which one is the 500 one?

I keep trying to call to see if my LORs arrived, but the LOR lady never answers her freaking phone. Argh.

Does Tulane usually interview OOS applicants later in the cycle? or does my application just plain suck :laugh:

I am in state and haven't heard a peep.

A couple of my friends who are second years at Tulane just told me that Tulane will be closed from Friday 8/29 till next Thursday due to precautionary measures of the possible hurricane. Just wanted to give people a quick heads up just in case they can't reach the admissions office w/ questions.

I can't even get on the secondary page via the email link. I was able to before. I'm ready to submit (was REALLY putting this one off) but now just get error 404 page not found:mad:. Has anybody else had this? Just try tomorrow?? thx...

I called that lady (Melissa Riley) like 5 times already. She's never there. I have a question to ask her that someone may be able to answer. I have 2 letters from my science professors and 1 letter from a physician I did research under. Does this meet Tulane's requirements? It says this on their admissions page:

"or three letters of evaluation, at least two of which come from professors of science courses,"

I don't want to pay the fee and submit if I don't meet the requirements. Thanks guys.

I keep trying to call to see if my LORs arrived, but the LOR lady never answers her freaking phone. Argh.

something tells me since new orleans is doing evacuations this weekend that we might have to hold off on harassing tulane med for a little!

well i decided to add a few schools, including tulane, at the last minute. my app has been verified with amcas for a month and i have completed ten of my other secondaries so i cant wait to get this one. :luck: good luck to everyone else.

I'm really scared for Tulane and New Orleans! Gustav has been upgraded to a cat 4 hurricane, is still strengthening, and seems to be headed on the same path as Katrina took three years ago... My sisters are both undergrads at Tulane, and I'm really sad for them that they're having to deal with this. :(

I'm really scared for Tulane and New Orleans! Gustav has been upgraded to a cat 4 hurricane, is still strengthening, and seems to be headed on the same path as Katrina took three years ago... My sisters are both undergrads at Tulane, and I'm really sad for them that they're having to deal with this. :(

yeah im pretty nervous about this too. i just watched the news and cuba is getting hit really bad. i have a lot of family in the caribbean so i hope everybody is safe.

Gez, this is not looking good for New Orleans. I hope they aren't hit as hard as everyone is predicting. Though I like Tulane, with these hurricanes.....

I called that lady (Melissa Riley) like 5 times already. She's never there. I have a question to ask her that someone may be able to answer. I have 2 letters from my science professors and 1 letter from a physician I did research under. Does this meet Tulane's requirements? It says this on their admissions page:

"or three letters of evaluation, at least two of which come from professors of science courses,"

I don't want to pay the fee and submit if I don't meet the requirements. Thanks guys.

How would that not meet the requirements? You have three letters, two from science professors, which is exactly what it asks for.

But, stick in there, Tulane! I've been keeping posted of Gustav (and holding off purchasing my New Orleans plane ticket for my 9/29 interview...) and it's not looking good :oops:

Just curious, with the most recent hurricane issue, is anyone allowing that to factor into their opinion about Tulane?

Just curious, with the most recent hurricane issue, is anyone allowing that to factor into their opinion about Tulane?

not really. in all honesty, most places have problems with them. if you go to a school in california you have to face overcrowding and earthquakes. most places on the coast like florida, and the carolinas will be hit by hurricanes. and who wants to face the tornados in the midwest? no place is perfect. so you just have to take the good with the bad.

Congrats to anybody who has an interview invite from this or any other school so far!

Remember to post them on the interview invite threads :) It's helpful for other SDN members, not only this year but also in the future!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.