2008-2009 Tulane Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who called Tulane to check your status, what key did you press for that crazy menu??

I just called to check with them, and after I heard that crazy menu, I just hung up and gave up. Anyone else have better luck (or at least more perseverence, haha)?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a payment received notification shortly after submission, but not actual status complete notice. Wooo, misty clouds; dang-it now I'm lost in it. <That's how I feel about this application process, sometimes.

you were able to submit today? i still can't process my payment!

I just called to check with them, and after I heard that crazy menu, I just hung up and gave up. Anyone else have better luck (or at least more perseverence, haha)?

I did the same thing yesterday. I listened to the stupid thing three times, finally chose an option and got a message that told me to call today. I still haven't done that. What is with Tulane?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same thing yesterday. I listened to the stupid thing three times, finally chose an option and got a message that told me to call today. I still haven't done that. What is with Tulane?!

I think if you just press 0 when that option comes up, you talk to a real person (if they answer the phone).

i just called and realized that if you stick around after that monster automated message, the phone will start to ring and someone will answer if they are around.

i just called and realized that if you stick around after that monster automated message, the phone will start to ring and someone will answer if they are around.

And what did they say??

I called them today because I wasn't able to process my payment. First off - definitely just press 0 right away to avoid that long confusing menu, you get someone right away. She said that it appears to be a problem with the company that processes the payments, not actually the system at Tulane. Apparently they can't call the company to see what is going on, so her advice was to keep trying and hopefully it will start working again. I hate having completed secondaries that I have to wait around to turn in....but hopefully this gets straightened out asap!

Glad I'm not the only one with "404 Not Found" payment error. Anybody getting anywhere with this garbage?

Anyone getting an error message when they click on the payment tab? The rest of the page worked just fine for me, but I can't pay...:thumbdown:

Anyone getting an error message when they click on the payment tab? The rest of the page worked just fine for me, but I can't pay...:thumbdown:

Just tried it again and it went through. Best of luck.

ugggh i haven't even GOTTEN the secondary yet, how long does it take to get after you submit ?

Members don't see this ad :)
ugggh i haven't even GOTTEN the secondary yet, how long does it take to get after you submit ?

AMCAS submitted June 9, verified July 10, Tulane secondary email received July 24. Not sure if that's a standard timeline, but take it for what it's worth.

AMCAS submitted June 9, verified July 10, Tulane secondary email received July 24. Not sure if that's a standard timeline, but take it for what it's worth.

AMCAS submitted 6/4, verified 6/13, Tulane secondary received 6/19... It looks like there isn't a whole lot of rhyme or reason to when people are getting them, except I heard that they were sending out 400 a day until they clear out the backlog. It shouldn't be too much longer, I wouldn't think.

so we actually have to call to see if we're complete??? are they asking to get a million phone calls...haha

i've been trying to call them to see if I'm complete, but no one ever answers the phone.

I got my secondary email today... Interestingly enough, it said, "It has come to our attention that there was a server error that caused the same information to be sent out numerous times to different applicants. You were one of the applicants that received the wrong information. We are sorry for the inconvience. Below you will find the correct information. " Has anyone else seen this? I don't even know what they're talking about, since I haven't had any prior email from them...

I got my secondary email today... Interestingly enough, it said, "It has come to our attention that there was a server error that caused the same information to be sent out numerous times to different applicants. You were one of the applicants that received the wrong information. We are sorry for the inconvience. Below you will find the correct information. " Has anyone else seen this? I don't even know what they're talking about, since I haven't had any prior email from them...

got the same email and never got an email from them before

Last edited:

I know what happened. They sent out MY secondary invitation to hundreds of people, including my aamc id, SSN, email address, etc. Thanks to everyone who didn't open a line of credit with my SSN. And if you're wondering, no, Tulane didn't say they were sorry.

I know what happened. They sent out MY secondary invitation to hundreds of people, including my aamc id, SSN, email address, etc. Thanks to everyone who didn't open a line of credit with my SSN. And if you're wondering, no, Tulane didn't say they were sorry.

:eek: that's kind of scary....

does anybody know whether tulane takes a fee waiver? and if so how we go about processing that? i tried emailing and calling, but no response :( :( :(

in case nobody has figured out yet...this is what their webite says regarding checking the status of your application:

STATUS CHECK
Application status check will be only on Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Central Standard Time, at 504-988-5187.

I called during that time and if you just stay on the line after the recorded message, it takes you to the admissions office, where they will check whether your secondary is complete or not.

well there goes the prize for answering the million dollar question

OK!

Just spoke to the nicest lady ever (I could really get used to that accent...) who said that a) I'm complete (score!), and b) they're already reviewing files and the first interview invites should be coming out toward the end of august/beginning of september, and c) interviews start september 15th.

I of course forgot to ask how the interview invites will be coming, so let's hope for an email with our own name on top. Imagine getting an interview invite meant for someone else. How sad would that be.

OK!

Just spoke to the nicest lady ever (I could really get used to that accent...) who said that a) I'm complete (score!), and b) they're already reviewing files and the first interview invites should be coming out toward the end of august/beginning of september, and c) interviews start september 15th.

I of course forgot to ask how the interview invites will be coming, so let's hope for an email with our own name on top. Imagine getting an interview invite meant for someone else. How sad would that be.

really? that's awesome...but...when do you receive their secondary? I was verified by AMCAS August 4th but still no word back from Tulane.

Also, any idea what their policy is on multiple MCATs?

For some reason, the questions on my Tulane secondary are not showing up. All I'm getting are snippets of questions that don't even make sense (e.g. "Q13 Interest in Tulane," "Q14 Curriculum," etc). Is this the same with everyone?

For some reason, the questions on my Tulane secondary are not showing up. All I'm getting are snippets of questions that don't even make sense (e.g. "Q13 Interest in Tulane," "Q14 Curriculum," etc). Is this the same with everyone?

You click on the notepad on the left side of the screen to access the application.

You click on the notepad on the left side of the screen to access the application.

are you stinking kidding me? this app is terrible. hello, instructions? I shouldn't have to depend on SDN in order to figure this stuff out. :smuggrin:

that, and what's with the "you received info in error" emails? really, they need to get control of this.

so do we have to call the office to get the status of our application ? or is it hidden somewhere in this fabulous online application ? poor tulane, they're really taking a beating with this application .. last year they were a paper application so i'm sure it's been tough..

If your secondary application is complete does that mean your letters of rec are in as well?

If your secondary application is complete does that mean your letters of rec are in as well?

Yes, it means they have all the materials needed to review your file for an interview...this includes LORs, completed secondary, MCAT scores, fee payment, and in some cases a photo...

are you stinking kidding me? this app is terrible. hello, instructions? I shouldn't have to depend on SDN in order to figure this stuff out. :smuggrin:

It's in the instructions that are attached to the secondary email.

It's in the instructions that are attached to the secondary email.

I know that, but they really should be included on the webpage. What an odd way to do the secondary-I've never seen a form like theirs before. And I've filled out a lot of secondaries in my life...:smuggrin:

I don't think it your secondary application being complete is the same as your full application being complete. Just because you submit and pay for your secondary doesn't mean they have your LOR's. Call them and ask if they need anything else to complete your application.

anybody know how to process a fee waiver? i have tried calling 3x now and emailed as well but nobody seems to wanna help me :(

i can't seem to 'apply changes' to my secondary - i keep getting a error message. does anyone know if there are any character limits on the short essays? i can't think of any other reason why i am not able to submit it . . . thanks

i can't seem to 'apply changes' to my secondary - i keep getting a error message. does anyone know if there are any character limits on the short essays? i can't think of any other reason why i am not able to submit it . . . thanks

there is a character limit. i believe it's 1000 ? if you look in that garbled error message it'll say something about 1000 limit. it took me a while to figure that one out too !

and just to make sure i'm not missing something, we can't check our status online, can we ??

anybody know how to process a fee waiver? i have tried calling 3x now and emailed as well but nobody seems to wanna help me :(

I called them also and I couldn't get a hold of anyone. Their process payment webpage is awful because it doesn't have an option for fee waiver. I also hate their essay questions, which give no characters limit until I keep getting an error message because of my long responses. Overall, Tulane has poor website design and poor phone support services.

For the LORs, their site says they discourage more than 3 faculty LORs... However, I rather put my volunteering LOR rather than my english or research LOR if I have a limitation. Would it be bad to send in 3 faculty + 1 volunteer via a 'packet of letters from my undergraduate letter service?

Last edited:
Uh, it says we have to fax or electronically send our letters, but I can only send them regular mail. Does it matter? Jefferson said that same thing but when I called they said it was ok.

i'm getting the "webpage cannot be found 404" error

do i have to call it in to get it fixed or is the whole secondary website down for everyone?

i'm getting the "webpage cannot be found 404" error

do i have to call it in to get it fixed or is the whole secondary website down for everyone?
I've already submitted my secondary, but after I login I get the same error as you, so I wouldn't worry.

i'm not worried, but more pissed because i can't submit my secondary :|

Uh, it says we have to fax or electronically send our letters, but I can only send them regular mail. Does it matter? Jefferson said that same thing but when I called they said it was ok.

They will only take electronic copies. I had to get my LOR writers to resend them through fax and email (signed .pdf). It is a pain because I was advised earlier in the year to just hold on to some paper copies and mail them in later. Luckily, the LOR writers were nice enough to resend.

The site crashed last night when I was trying to do stuff, very frustrating. Also sucks that I have to pay 40 dollars to get my LORs sent via my letter service since it is considered rush to fax. =/ argh!

Status
Not open for further replies.