2009-2010 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, I'm really not worried about BU, it would have been nice to consider it in my decision. It's a great place to learn how to be a doctor, but I'm perfectly happy where I sit now. Anything else is icing on the cake. I never sent anything except my transcript to BU after the interview, so I wouldn't expect them to consider me very interested. I sent updates to schools I really cared about, nothing to schools I was luke-warm on, and withdrew from schools I wouldn't attend. BU was a luke-warm school for me.

***Disclaimer*** I am in no way knocking BU or Boston itself. I just liked a couple other schools I interviewed at for different reasons.

way to be sane, man. mad props. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Got the great news a couple of days ago. Really liked the school a lot-- From Dr. Witzburg to the students to the philosophy-- it's all very genuine. Best of luck to everyone who will interview and / or wishes to become a part of this wonderful school.

Now I don't have to go to school in state anymore.. WOOOO HOOOO!!!

Last year status updates and the email came before snail mail, several days before the 15th. I didn't call, I'm a BU student. I heard about it because of the bone marrow drive for his wife and was amazed at how well things are being run considering his personal hardship, and wanted to pass the information on.

Alright, cool. Not being on campus anymore, I'm distant from these things. But I was actually impressed by how quick they've been about everything. I know plenty of schools would have waited until tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted.

and withdrew couple minutes later.

good luck to all! :luck:

If you knew you were going to withdraw, why did you wait until minutes after the acceptance?

The ONLY possible reasons I can think of is that you wanted to add another acceptance scalp to your belt.

That acceptance could have gone to someone else.

If you knew you were going to withdraw, why did you wait until minutes after the acceptance?

The ONLY possible reasons I can think of is that you wanted to add another acceptance scalp to your belt.

That acceptance could have gone to someone else.

dude are you serious? at least he/she didn't wait until May 15th.

and that spot will go to someone, so whatevs.

(oh and btw, its not like I'm accepted too and don't care, I'm still waiting like most everyone else)

dude are you serious? at least he/she didn't wait until May 15th.

and that spot will go to someone, so whatevs.

(oh and btw, its not like I'm accepted too and don't care, I'm still waiting like most everyone else)

slowbutsteady has a point. But whaddya expect...this is just typical pre-med behavior.

Anyone not receive any info regarding their decision? I have not received an email, status update, call, or snail mail.

im backkk! congrats to all the acceptances and sorry to hear about the rejection! i will officially be joining the lovely group of waiters as the last 2.5 months weren't enough! here's to a great 2.5 month ahead of us! wishing everyone the best! n good luck to us waiters :luck:

Anyone not receive any info regarding their decision? I have not received an email, status update, call, or snail mail.

maybe you interviewed after their committee meeting! if you interviewed recently or in december you'll probably have to wait for the march decision day! gluck :)

maybe you interviewed after their committee meeting! if you interviewed recently or in december you'll probably have to wait for the march decision day! gluck :)

I interviewed in early Dec and received the Round 1 follow up email but you might be right. I guess I'll have to call tomorrow and find out.

well. lots of ppl want to "collect" acceptances. i wouldnt hold it against him. he dropped it for the march batch

i dont know yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
The clock is ticking down for the "end of the week" notification of MD/PhD stuff...I really hope I will hear some good news from them!

The clock is ticking down for the "end of the week" notification of MD/PhD stuff...I really hope I will hear some good news from them!

yeah. fingers crossed. :luck: to you!

ps: just wondering from your avatar... did you happen to interview dec 4th?

yeah. fingers crossed. :luck: to you!

ps: just wondering from your avatar... did you happen to interview dec 4th?

hey! yeah, that's me ;) still haven't heard anything, so i'm starting to lose hope...but i'm in France at the moment, so I am going to go out for the night and try not to think about it.

good luck to you too!!

hey! yeah, that's me ;) still haven't heard anything, so i'm starting to lose hope...but i'm in France at the moment, so I am going to go out for the night and try not to think about it.

good luck to you too!!

they might be snail mailing decisions, so don't lose hope yet!

Also waiting for news from the Dec. 4th MD/PhD interview. :xf:

they might be snail mailing decisions, so don't lose hope yet!

hmm, that's true, but i have to think that when they are taking so few people (5-6 maybe on this round), they would probably reach out somehow before the snail mail arrives. no?

OK, i need to stop speculating and get out!! good luck to all of you guys! and if anyone does get a phone call, let us know!!!

hmm, that's true, but i have to think that when they are taking so few people (5-6 maybe on this round), they would probably reach out somehow before the snail mail arrives. no?

OK, i need to stop speculating and get out!! good luck to all of you guys! and if anyone does get a phone call, let us know!!!

looks like no one has heard anything yet for md/phd.... at least from the dec. 4 interview. maybe they just mailed them today

looks like no one has heard anything yet for md/phd.... at least from the dec. 4 interview. maybe they just mailed them today

still nothing? i'm going nuts! especially since i'm overseas now, so if i have to wait for snail mail, i'll probably have to wait ages.

md/phd people- please post if you hear anything!

I've been complete since 9/7 and still haven't heard a single thing! My app online still says "your application is complete" and its had that same thing since september, haha. I didn't fall under the massive rejections either. I'm considering sending them an update letter, maybe give them a phone call? anyone know what's going on? I noticed some people who were complete in august recently got interviews for february...any of those people send in updates? Thanks a bunch!

I've been complete since 9/7 and still haven't heard a single thing! My app online still says "your application is complete" and its had that same thing since september, haha. I didn't fall under the massive rejections either. I'm considering sending them an update letter, maybe give them a phone call? anyone know what's going on? I noticed some people who were complete in august recently got interviews for february...any of those people send in updates? Thanks a bunch!

I sent an update letter and got an invite a few days later. It seems to have tickled them.

Give it shot. It can't hurt!

I am sorry for posting this if someone has asked this already...

So if the interview day ends at 3, can I still catch the flight at 5:30? The airport doesn't seem that far, and I am planning on taking a cab. what do you guys think?

I am sorry for posting this if someone has asked this already...

So if the interview day ends at 3, can I still catch the flight at 5:30? The airport doesn't seem that far, and I am planning on taking a cab. what do you guys think?

I think you should be fine. I had a flight around 5 and was able to make it.

Good luck!

just got an email saying i'm deferred from MD/PhD pending the march decisions. frown.

i'm disappointed, but i guess it's not over until it's over, so i'll try not to give up completely.

best of luck to everyone else!! hope someone got some good news today!

MD/PhD acceptance, my first acceptance! I'm so relieved. : )

I've got an interview here next week and I'm really excited but nervous because I really like this school! Does anyone have any tips/suggestions about anything for the interview day? (or the interview itself ;))

I've got an interview here next week and I'm really excited but nervous because I really like this school! Does anyone have any tips/suggestions about anything for the interview day? (or the interview itself ;))

They'll ask you an "ethical/moral dilemma" type question. Just remember that the patient's rights are priority, and that this is a doctor/patient relationship; you are not their mother, pastor, senator, etc.

Other than that I think it's pretty much open. Maybe read up on the whole healthcare debate going on, i.e. "what would you do to fix the problem?"

good luck.

Thanks for the advice! I'd read in the interview feedback about the ethical dilemma questions, I'm a bit nervous about that because I haven't really been asked anything like that at any other interviews, so hopefully it won't be too bad!

my dearest differed buddies, i was just wondering did you guys write anything in the note section when you said you still wanted to be considered? or just pushed the button and submit?

my dearest differed buddies, i was just wondering did you guys write anything in the note section when you said you still wanted to be considered? or just pushed the button and submit?

Just pushed the button. There was nothing to update and I wasn't going to right a note about how I am still interested in their school if the button says "click here if you're still interested"

Are any of the accepted students taken back by the estimated cost of attendance for next year?! It's pretty steep but less than Tufts if one is choosing between those two.

Any thoughts on biting the bullet and going to a Boston school versus a cheaper in-state tuition(NJ)?

Thanks!

I sent an update letter and got an invite a few days later. It seems to have tickled them.

Give it shot. It can't hurt!

I sent an update letter to BU in December and nothing happened. But it can't hurt trying. I did get a couple invites from other schools a few weeks after submitting the update letter.

I think it's really crappy to not hear back after being complete for so long. Makes me think I might be in some sort of a maybe pile being considered for the last of the interview slots, which is weird b/c I'm an alum and on paper I should be pretty competitive for BU.

Anyone know approximately when the last invites might go out. For those recently invited what interview dates were left...if they are getting close to end of Feb I might be out of luck.

I think interview dates are filled to the end of feb, but they have random spots that open open up along the way.

Are any of the accepted students taken back by the estimated cost of attendance for next year?! It's pretty steep but less than Tufts if one is choosing between those two.

Any thoughts on biting the bullet and going to a Boston school versus a cheaper in-state tuition(NJ)?

Thanks!

Hey beantown - Yeah the price is steep... I'm guessing you get what you pay for though. I'm definitely in asking myself that same question.

I just don't understand how BU estimates room and board at something like just under 14k? I imagine that figure should be something like double that in Boston...

Hey beantown - Yeah the price is steep... I'm guessing you get what you pay for though. I'm definitely in asking myself that same question.

I just don't understand how BU estimates room and board at something like just under 14k? I imagine that figure should be something like double that in Boston...

BU isn't in the most expensive area, and if you are willing to commute a ways you can get a place for $500-700/mo within 30 min

First of all, that estimate is for only 10 months of the year for the first two years due to summers and board studying time (every school does this for calculating the aid package their first two years, which sucks as you can't just not pay rent when schools not in session).

Even so, I think 14k is more than reasonable. A 2br apartment around BU will probably run around 1600/month, meaning 800/month for rent + say $75/month for utilities, phone, internet, split two ways. Add that up (even for 12 months) and you get 10500. I think 3500 for food is pretty reasonable (~$10/day) assuming you don't go out to eat too much.

Granted, if you want your own one bedroom apartment or studio right near B.U. its going to run more than 14k/year, but likewise you could share a 3BR and save even more money than I described.

First of all, that estimate is for only 10 months of the year for the first two years due to summers and board studying time (every school does this for calculating the aid package their first two years, which sucks as you can't just not pay rent when schools not in session).

Even so, I think 14k is more than reasonable. A 2br apartment around BU will probably run around 1600/month, meaning 800/month for rent + say $75/month for utilities, phone, internet, split two ways. Add that up (even for 12 months) and you get 10500. I think 3500 for food is pretty reasonable (~$10/day) assuming you don't go out to eat too much.

Granted, if you want your own one bedroom apartment or studio right near B.U. its going to run more than 14k/year, but likewise you could share a 3BR and save even more money than I described.

Sorry, but how can you possibly eat on $10 a day unless you're only eating ramen?

Sorry, but how can you possibly eat on $10 a day unless you're only eating ramen?

I think it's definitily possible, but it does require cooking knowledge and frugality.

I think you guys are nuts.

I live in the Bay Area (similar in cost of living to Boston) and I cook all the time.

There's no way I could cook on $10 per day.

I think it's definitily possible, but it does require cooking knowledge and frugality.

Guys. Totally do-able. Key: share food with roommates. I live in a house of 4 and although I usually don't track food expenses daily...we split all grocery bills. I think $10/1 person is probably harder than the comparable $40/day for 4 people. Group cooking is where it's at. Seriously. Consider a simple asian stir fry dish for dinner....

Buy a $20 10 Lb bag of rice. It'll last you FOREVER. and the cost per meal is practically neglible. =$1 (although probably less)
$1.99/lb chicken breast at Costco. Say you need 3 lbs for 4 people = $6.
Vegetables = onions, peppers, carrots. All super cheap = $5.
Cooking sauce...Homemade: $2 (tops). Bought: $4.

Total: $16. $4/person. Not bad. Take the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Also....while a med student...remember that lunchtime academic talks always have free food (or at least cookies!). Don't miss em.

Last edited:
I think you guys are nuts.

I live in the Bay Area (similar in cost of living to Boston) and I cook all the time.

There's no way I could cook on $10 per day.

You guys haven't met my dad. Take a trip with him to Costco and he'll teach you how to feed a family on $10/day.

Status
Not open for further replies.