2009-2010 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deferred...GMS here too...any GMSers get in?

I am GMS and I was accepted...

No status change yet. Good luck everyone and remember most people get accepted in March so don't lose hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone get accepted via status update yet? or only deferred/rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Defferred.... GMS too

Does anyone know how many they defer versus out right reject?

Anyone get accepted via status update yet? or only deferred/rejection?

I don't think anyone's been accepted on the status page yet.

I hope this is a good sign for those of us that haven't heard anything. :xf:

deferred as well...I bet 90% of people who are not accepted are deferred...

I didn't get an email about the status change though...everone got their email?

Last edited:
deferred as well...I bet 90% of people who are not accepted are deferred...

I didn't get an email about the status change though...everone got their email?

yeah.. I wonder how many people get deferred..

And for those people who are deferred.. I guess we have almost 0% chance of getting in? :scared:

Deferred via status page.

So at this point, what are the actual odds of getting in? Any stats on how many deferred end up being accepted?

Still no status update, but no acceptance in the mail either.

Not sure if this is very good news or very bad news.

yeah.. I wonder how many people get deferred..

And for those people who are deferred.. I guess we have almost 0% chance of getting in? :scared:

During the interview Dr. Witzburg said they reject large number of applicants, defer a good amount and accept small percent of the class
I think being deferred still gives us a decent chance to get in

I received my acceptance via phone and in hard copy in the mail, but my status page has not been updated.

Their whole timing of this is so weird, I bet they have had their systems crash in the past because of the large # of applicants so they stagger it or something...

On the west coast.

No phone call/email/status update. Just snail mail today.

super excited! :D Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the interview Dr. Witzburg said they reject large number of applicants, defer a good amount and accept small percent of the class

well last year and two years before, Dr. Witzburg said a small number of applicants will be put on waitlist, around <10, but according to SDN, more than 100 were on the waitlist....basically everyone who wasn't accepted...

i was under the impression that they accept about a third of the class now, and two thirds later. It doesn't seem like many people were rejected post interview, so the odds probably don't change much.

i was under the impression that they accept about a third of the class now, and two thirds later. It doesn't seem like many people were rejected post interview, so the odds probably don't change much.

Deferred here too. I thought this was the case as well.

Got the deferred email today too. I kind of expected it based on the huge number of applicants they interview. Oh well, moving on now.

Good luck to the rest of you!! :thumbup:

well last year and two years before, Dr. Witzburg said a small number of applicants will be put on waitlist, around <10, but according to SDN, more than 100 were on the waitlist....basically everyone who wasn't accepted...

I think you are confusing the deferred status with the wait list. The wait list is different from being deferred - they fill less than 1/3 of the class seats in the January round of acceptance. Everyone who is deferred will re-enter the pool and be considered for full acceptance in March. In March, if you are not accepted or rejected you will be put on the wait list.

I think I may be jumping the gun a little here, because I'm really excited about next year... but I made a facebook group for the BUSM Class of 2014!

I'm almost certain I'll be going to BU so if you are too you should join and we can all interact on a somewhat less shady forum and start getting pumped for med school. Also I'm already in Boston so if you're coming and you have questions about housing, etc shoot me a message.

I'm in! Got the acceptance packet in the mail today!!!

I loved this school :biglove:

Anyone else still hear nothing? No deferral or rejection update but no acceptance in the mail/phone/email either?

Do you guys think this is good news or bad news?

Got my acceptance phone call on 1/7, received the snail mail today on the west coast. No status change or email. It looks like all the status changes so far have been for deferrals.

Anyone else still hear nothing? No deferral or rejection update but no acceptance in the mail/phone/email either?

Do you guys think this is good news or bad news?

You are probably accepted. It seems that only 'accepted' people have not had status changes so far. BUT, maybe it's best to reserve excitement till you get confirmation.

:)

Got my acceptance phone call on 1/7, received the snail mail today on the west coast. No status change or email. It looks like all the status changes so far have been for deferrals.

Someone said they were rejected. I think most people that get rejected tend not to post about it, since it kinda hurts. :(

I received my acceptance via phone and in hard copy in the mail, but my status page has not been updated.

ditto. i'm guessing they do this so their office doesn't get inundated with phone calls-- if one person gets accepted and that news travels... you get the idea. better to update the statuses (stati?) with bad/neutral news first.

i think they accept less than a third of the class now. dr. witzburg said they only accept a few initially, and that the vast majority of acceptees were deferred or interviewed after january, so they were accepted in march. so you've got a more than decent chance!

Congratulations to those who were accepted recently! I received an interview invite today for early feb. (complete in late August!!!) Anyone interviewing on Feb 3?

Congratulations to those who were accepted recently! I received an interview invite today for early feb. (complete in late August!!!) Anyone interviewing on Feb 3?

Interview invite today! Complete august 27th and interviewing feb. 3rd as well!

just wondering if anyone who applied MD/PhD has heard anything...I think we should be hearing this week. I'm waiting on pins and needles, even though I know the odds are definitely not stacked in my favor!

just wondering if anyone who applied MD/PhD has heard anything...I think we should be hearing this week. I'm waiting on pins and needles, even though I know the odds are definitely not stacked in my favor!

haven't heard anything here either. and i'm all of a 10 minute bus ride away. good luck!

i was wondering this too so i'd emailed jesse yesterday. this was her reply:

Thank you for touching base with us. We plan on having our first round of decisions out by the end of the week. Take care!

Best, Jesse

but she didn't specify if it was going to be through snail mail, email, phone call, or pigeon express​

Interview invite today! Complete august 27th and interviewing feb. 3rd as well!

congrats!!! glad to see some people are still waiting for interviews like me (complete sept 7).

i've heard some conflicting info about whether BU accepts in the area emails. i'll be in the area the 2nd week of feb, which sounds around where they are with invites now. anybody who's actually sent one in have any success?

Accepted! In the mail, but still no status update.

So excited, I loved this school! :love: :soexcited:

Hi Guys,
I had been confused about why things are taking a long time this year (eg status page and acceptance emails), whereas things were ran more efficiently in the past. I found out today that the wife of dean of admissions has been in the hospital with a serious condition, and that he has been working from the hospital and from home. I just wanted to share this so that people know what is going on, because when I learned this it changed my perspective.

The best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Hi Guys,
I had been confused about why things are taking a long time this year (eg status page and acceptance emails), whereas things were ran more efficiently in the past. I found out today that the wife of dean of admissions has been in the hospital with a serious condition, and that he has been working from the hospital and from home. I just wanted to share this so that people know what is going on, because when I learned this it changed my perspective.

The best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Wait, what? Long time?

Dude, earliest notification of acceptance was scheduled for the 15th. By my count, they're still ahead of schedule.

Please tell me you didn't call to find this out.

Wow, am I the only post interview rejection? I must just be really bad at interviewing :(

Bryson, I absolutely wouldnt say that. I believe we are seeing but a miniscule fraction of the number of people who were rejected. I for one appreciate your honesty on the blog. I think most people simply stop looking at a schools thread they have been rejected from or simply choose not to post. I would single yourself out at ALL. Sorry for your rejection. Any luck with other schools, interviews, acceptances? We all have to keep chin up and moving forward.

Wait, what? Long time?

Dude, earliest notification of acceptance was scheduled for the 15th. By my count, they're still ahead of schedule.

Please tell me you didn't call to find this out.

Last year status updates and the email came before snail mail, several days before the 15th. I didn't call, I'm a BU student. I heard about it because of the bone marrow drive for his wife and was amazed at how well things are being run considering his personal hardship, and wanted to pass the information on.

I am still being considered for admission on the status....=/

Reactions: 1 user
HAHAHAHAHA
NOPE
I ACTUALLY GOT AN EMAIL
JUST A FEW SECONDS AGO.
I WAS LIKE DAMN.
DEFERRED!

but nope.
LOL

thank you boston.
lolz
maybe some luck with teh other school in boston.
lots of luck.

accepted.

and withdrew couple minutes later.

good luck to all! :luck:

I want to add.
Thank you Boston, Thank you Dr. Witzburg.
I read the email, and I am extremely thankful for the offer.
Thank you so much, especially for the kind words on the email.

Thank you!

Hey all,

I just received an email letting me know that my status has been updated to Accepted. I'm assuming the "action item" to confirm that you want to reserve your seat is not an official acceptance of their offer, right? Because that doesn't happen until sometime in May I thought... I guess this is just their way of making sure those people who are accepted are still interested....

Bryson, I absolutely wouldnt say that. I believe we are seeing but a miniscule fraction of the number of people who were rejected. I for one appreciate your honesty on the blog. I think most people simply stop looking at a schools thread they have been rejected from or simply choose not to post. I would single yourself out at ALL. Sorry for your rejection. Any luck with other schools, interviews, acceptances? We all have to keep chin up and moving forward.
Hah, I'm really not worried about BU, it would have been nice to consider it in my decision. It's a great place to learn how to be a doctor, but I'm perfectly happy where I sit now. Anything else is icing on the cake. I never sent anything except my transcript to BU after the interview, so I wouldn't expect them to consider me very interested. I sent updates to schools I really cared about, nothing to schools I was luke-warm on, and withdrew from schools I wouldn't attend. BU was a luke-warm school for me.

***Disclaimer*** I am in no way knocking BU or Boston itself. I just liked a couple other schools I interviewed at for different reasons.

Hey all,

I just received an email letting me know that my status has been updated to Accepted. I'm assuming the "action item" to confirm that you want to reserve your seat is not an official acceptance of their offer, right? Because that doesn't happen until sometime in May I thought... I guess this is just their way of making sure those people who are accepted are still interested....

Also got the email & status update this morning. Good luck to the deferred people, hope to see you in the Fall.

Hah, I'm really not worried about BU, it would have been nice to consider it in my decision. It's a great place to learn how to be a doctor, but I'm perfectly happy where I sit now. Anything else is icing on the cake. I never sent anything except my transcript to BU after the interview, so I wouldn't expect them to consider me very interested. I sent updates to schools I really cared about, nothing to schools I was luke-warm on, and withdrew from schools I wouldn't attend. BU was a luke-warm school for me.

***Disclaimer*** I am in no way knocking BU or Boston itself. I just liked a couple other schools I interviewed at for different reasons.

Its definitely ok to knock schools you don't get into as everyone knows the best med school is the one that accepts you.

Like that UCSF med school that rejected me. What a craphole, I mean who would want to go there?

Status
Not open for further replies.