2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this app really as simple as it seems?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the Touro merger a sure thing? I dont know much about it. I thought they were merging with a NJ school.

I heard from students there that the Touro merger is pretty much solid, which is a shame since Touro College has a less than decent reputation (you can do a Google search, cash for grades scandals, probation etc). The unaccredited med school in NJ is Touro owned also. Touro seems to be a lot like the University of Phoenix (is everywhere and online).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else having problems checking status page after submitting app??

we only have to have one "yes" in the major letter right? sorry for repeating my question but i wanna submit now :D

I am a little inexperienced with this whole application process. I have received a secondary application from nymc but my primary hasn't been verified yet and probably wont be for like another two weeks. Should I wait for the primary to be verified before I submit the secondary or would it be advantageous to just submit the secondary now?

I am a little inexperienced with this whole application process. I have received a secondary application from nymc but my primary hasn't been verified yet and probably wont be for like another two weeks. Should I wait for the primary to be verified before I submit the secondary or would it be advantageous to just submit the secondary now?

I would wait until you get verified. I don't think sending them your secondary now will make them process your application any faster since they still have to wait for your primary to get verified. I'm pretty sure it doesn't take them long to process secondary anyway since it's so short.

"Once your application has been completed, you can check on-line for updates to your application status and see which of your evaluation letters we have received at http://www.nymc.edu , click on School of Medicine, click on Admissions, click on Secondary Application.and choose Check Application Status."

Clever way to make us look through their website.

is anyone else struggling to understand their status page? i just want something that says "we have your secondary. we have your letters. you are complete." sigh.

is anyone else struggling to understand their status page? i just want something that says "we have your secondary. we have your letters. you are complete." sigh.

It says that none of your info will be uploaded until they process your secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
My status says:

** Your Secondary Application was completed on 07/28/2009 and is currently under review. **

is this what everyone's says? or are they ACTUALLY reviewing it :eek: haha

My status says:

** Your Secondary Application was completed on 07/28/2009 and is currently under review. **

That's exactly what mine says. I have no clue if they are "actually" reviewing it though. Guess we'll find out!:luck:

I think it just means you're complete and up for review, not that they are reviewing it right now.

:corny:

Last edited:
My status says:

same here

In the LOR section, when they ask for "College name" .. is that "college" as in I got a letter from a humanities prof, so its College of Humanities.. or is it "college" as in "university of x"?

Sorry if its a dumb question :oops:. One of my LORs is from a physiology instructor, and physio is listed under College of Medicine, so that makes things more fun. Yeah and the instructions :thumbdown:

In the LOR section, when they ask for "College name" .. is that "college" as in I got a letter from a humanities prof, so its College of Humanities.. or is it "college" as in "university of x"?

Sorry if its a dumb question :oops:

College you attended, University of X.

College you attended, University of X.

oh, that was fast. Are you sure though? Cuz they already have that info.. i was leaning towards the more literal meaning of college (i.e. a university is made up of colleges)

oh, that was fast. Are you sure though? Cuz they already have that info.. i was leaning towards the more literal meaning of college (i.e. a university is made up of colleges)

No, its university. From where you got your degree. A huge % of secondary applications ask for information they already have... this shouldn't surprise you lol :p

Hey guys, stupid question, but what are winters like in White Plains? I'm really considering this school but I need to know whether im signing myself up for another four years of 2 degree lows with -10 wind chills...thanks

Hey guys, stupid question, but what are winters like in White Plains? I'm really considering this school but I need to know whether im signing myself up for another four years of 2 degree lows with -10 wind chills...thanks

It is cold in the winter yes, but not as cold as you make it sound. It is not Boston, or Canada (lol). You'll experience the 30s-40s through much of december to february, maybe with a week of 20s. windchills would drop it by an extra 10 degrees. sometimes the winter does drag into march.

id say about 2 feet of snow through those months, not including one day when you get a foot in that day alone. lol

It is cold in the winter yes, but not as cold as you make it sound. It is not Boston, or Canada (lol). You'll experience the 30s-40s through much of december to february, maybe with a week of 20s. windchills would drop it by an extra 10 degrees. sometimes the winter does drag into march.

id say about 2 feet of snow through those months, not including one day when you get a foot in that day alone. lol

well that is not bad at all..lol im in pittsburgh so whenever we get weather its super cold and super rainy/snowy...i dont want to do that anymore :) ive payed my debt to the winter monsters of slush and nastiness..lol:laugh:

No, its university. From where you got your degree. A huge % of secondary applications ask for information they already have... this shouldn't surprise you lol :p

I see. Yeah, it makes no sense why these guys make us repeat stuff we went over extensively in the primary app.

Well, I kept clicking continue thinking there would be an edit function in the end only to find that I submitted my application! :eek: Lol, I pressed back a few times and I'm trying to get that mix-up fixed up. Hopefully, my revision will go through.

I see. Yeah, it makes no sense why these guys make us repeat stuff we went over extensively in the primary app.

Well, I kept clicking continue thinking there would be an edit function in the end only to find that I submitted my application! :eek: Lol, I pressed back a few times and I'm trying to get that mix-up fixed up. Hopefully, my revision will go through.

haha yeah I'm sure it will work out :)
if not, their admissions office is pretty friendly, you could call to make sure all is swell!

well that is not bad at all..lol im in pittsburgh so whenever we get weather its super cold and super rainy/snowy...i dont want to do that anymore :) ive payed my debt to the winter monsters of slush and nastiness..lol:laugh:

ohh you'll be fine from pitt, not tooo much of a difference i think lol

Anyone have any more info on this school? I submitted the secondary but that's really all I've done.

To be perfectly frank, I hardly know anything about it. And without a question asking "why NYMC?" on the secondary, I'm not going to research much about it right now with other secondaries still in line.

Anyone have any more info on this school? I submitted the secondary but that's really all I've done.

To be perfectly frank, I hardly know anything about it. And without a question asking "why NYMC?" on the secondary, I'm not going to research much about it right now with other secondaries still in line.

I'll start.

New York Medical College was founded in 1860 in New York City. The College relocated to Westchester County in the 1970s and has been sponsored by the Archdiocese of New York since 1979.

I'll start.

New York Medical College was founded in 1860 in New York City. The College relocated to Westchester County in the 1970s and has been sponsored by the Archdiocese of New York since 1979.

Oh sweet, exactly what I was looking for.

Oh sweet, exactly what I was looking for.

:laugh: :laugh:

I think the campus is nice. It is not in an area of chaos like Boston - sort of secluded, providing a campus-like feel. Maybe community-like makes more sense. The clinical training is good - the hospitals there get a good diversity in patient cases (I know, this is true in most places). There is on campus housing, which quite frankly is just like a crappy undergrad, but at least it is cheap, and is a 5 minute walk from classes. The classes are scribed (not video'd). The Chair of Adcom is a friendly person, and pretty straight up. You could call for a relatively honest opinion of anything.

That's all I got at the moment.

:laugh: :laugh:

I think the campus is nice. It is not in an area of chaos like Boston - sort of secluded, providing a campus-like feel. Maybe community-like makes more sense. The clinical training is good - the hospitals there get a good diversity in patient cases (I know, this is true in most places). There is on campus housing, which quite frankly is just like a crappy undergrad, but at least it is cheap, and is a 5 minute walk from classes. The classes are scribed (not video'd). The Chair of Adcom is a friendly person, and pretty straight up. You could call for a relatively honest opinion of anything.

That's all I got at the moment.

OK thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for. For almost every school I've applied, I've gotten some sort of "vibe" on the program, from talking to students or docs/SDN/my own research.

But for some reason, that wasn't the case with NYMC.

Wish all secondaries were like this. I would be happy forking over $100 no problem.:rolleyes:

so is the status page working for everyone? i submitted yesterday and that page only says email send 7/28 and payment received same day but i dont know what i should be expecting with they upload my LOR's and complete me since when i click next or submit or whatever its called it goes to another page that cant be uploaded (same thing yesterday)! is that working for ya'll?!

Yeah im in the same situation as you; I submitted, paid, and sent LORs yesterday. I think you may have missed a line in the status page tho: " Please note the completion of your secondary application may take several weeks from the time you submit. Please be patient." Nothing shows up for me either but I expect it to after a couple weeks or so. :thumbup: And yeah, the NYMC Admission home page is nonfunctional (won't upload).

For each letter of rec, NYMC requires a course name, a course number, credit hours, etc. Does this mean that I cannot use letters from people who did not teach me in a course? I am interested in sending NYMC a letter from my research PI and from my volunteer supervisor, but it seems that I cannot do this. Any help would be appreciated.

For each letter of rec, NYMC requires a course name, a course number, credit hours, etc. Does this mean that I cannot use letters from people who did not teach me in a course? I am interested in sending NYMC a letter from my research PI and from my volunteer supervisor, but it seems that I cannot do this. Any help would be appreciated.

i just entered "none" or "0" in those fields for my other letter. :shrug:

yeah, i put n/a for everything and 0 for credit hours.

Don't forget though that they ask for the name of the instution, so I think I put that under college name.

For some reason, I have a feeling that that was an extra $100 down the drain. We're paying $100 for them to look at...nothing except LOR :eek:

I believe the instructions page for the secondary addresses this, but I can't seem to access the page anymore after I turned my apps in.

Does anyone have a weird major situation for the LOR's? I'm an interdisciplinary studies major...I wonder what they want me to put for this. I guess I could just select "Yes" for the LOR's that were from my concentration areas of my major..

someone asked this already but didn't get an answer...

has anyone asked whether the credit hours they ask for are in semester or quarter units? also, do they want the total # of units taken with the professor, or just for that class?

Thanks!

So I received the email and filled the secondary and came to the payment page. I'm printing it out and sending it in for a fee waiver. It does say, at the end, "There is no submit button" so I went to the link above to check my status but, maybe I'm missing something here. It just led me to the beginning of the application, albeit all my info was still saved in it.

Will I not be able to check my status until they receive my fee waiver request?

So I received the email and filled the secondary and came to the payment page. I'm printing it out and sending it in for a fee waiver. It does say, at the end, "There is no submit button" so I went to the link above to check my status but, maybe I'm missing something here. It just led me to the beginning of the application, albeit all my info was still saved in it.

Will I not be able to check my status until they receive my fee waiver request?

Go here and click on "check status": http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/SecondaryApplication.html
https://www.nymc.edu/medadmission/login.aspx?Choice=AS

Status
Not open for further replies.