2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gotten 2 letters thus far about 'no further action'. Hopefully I get some good news within a week. Shreveport interview tomorrow....erm....today lol....

Members don't see this ad.

So living expenses through federal loans - 17,700ish from last year. Is this the expected amount for 10-11 or will there be a 10% bump?

Also, for current students living on the loans, would you mind sharing a very approximate breakdown of monthly living expenses during school year (e.g. rent, utilities, groceries, insurance, misc? It seems like 2-3 roommates could get a pretty nice place with the loan money, but I don't want to start looking at places out of the ballpark and depress myself when I'm brought back to reality! Muchos gracias!

I am dyeing of anticipation! I find myself going home on my lunch break to check my mailbox. I am so anxious! I hope I have and acceptance letter enroute!
:xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
When did u interview LSU-2015? I'm dying of anticipation too!:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

good luck. Also, anyone start looking for living in nola starting in august?

I've been anxious too, but from poking around this thread I saw that letters in past were once mailed on a Tuesday and not received until Wednesday in New Orleans. I'm not sure if mailing on Tuesday is the norm or an exception, I'd HOPE letters go out on Monday.

While I have fingers crossed, I'm expecting, like most receive right after the interview, a NFA, and that it'll be Wednesday or Thursday before it's received.

So living expenses through federal loans - 17,700ish from last year. Is this the expected amount for 10-11 or will there be a 10% bump?

Also, for current students living on the loans, would you mind sharing a very approximate breakdown of monthly living expenses during school year (e.g. rent, utilities, groceries, insurance, misc? It seems like 2-3 roommates could get a pretty nice place with the loan money, but I don't want to start looking at places out of the ballpark and depress myself when I'm brought back to reality! Muchos gracias!

My apartment is in an amazing location and has everything you could ask for except for a yard. The whole rent is $1500 and I pay $750 with 1 roommate. Energy runs on average about $110 or so (way cheaper in the winter) and cable/internet is $105 (but I have a lot of extras). I also know people that pay around $500-$600 for rent, so you can find places in all price ranges but you have to move quickly.

Food is usually up to you, but I spend about $115 or so on groceries per month. I do spend a fair bit on going out to eat and entertainment stuff, but that's what happens when you only see your SO on weekends and stuff.

Expenses tend to go up around test time because you are spending more on coffee and food while you're at school studying (unless you study at home).

That's all I can think of right now, let me know if you want info on something I may have left out.

I pay $875 /month for rent. I live by myself in a plantation home that's been converted into condo units in the Garden District. As far as living by yourself, I would say that unless you live on-campus, you'll probably pay around this much +/- $100. The major apartment complexes in NOLA cost more usually, but have more amenities, like pools and on-site gyms. Met and you are right about living with roommates. With roommates, you'll have many more options to rent from and you can get some really nice houses in decent areas for relatively cheap $500-600 /person. I like my privacy though, fwiw.

Utilities (Electricity, internet) run me around $100 /month. Groceries run about $100 /month. I eat out a good bit towards test time (cutting down on that this semester. Trying to anyway). Plus misc expenses like gas, entertainment, and pet stuff.

I don't pay for insurance (health nor car), don't pay for my cell phone bill, or car note. I would say if I had to pay for those, I would be finding a roommate quickly and cutting down on other things.

FWIW, be prepared to cover your first and second month's expenses pre-loan money. Loan money will come in at the end of August or later, and depends on when you have had all your financial information complete to them. I will definitely say that money was tighter in the first semester than it is so far in the second semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!! I saw the Hippocratic Oath card before I saw the letter and knew it was good news!

Anyone here interview on 2/16?

Yes, I was dissapointed last year not getting accepted, but I persevered and made improvements. This has been a struggle. Got accepted on my 3rd try. I hope that anyone who is re-applying doesn't give up. Glad I had a break after college and hope to start med school hardcore!

Yes, I was dissapointed last year not getting accepted, but I persevered and made improvements. This has been a struggle. Got accepted on my 3rd try. I hope that anyone who is re-applying doesn't give up. Glad I had a break after college and hope to start med school hardcore!

It's my second time applying. No interview the first time. I didn't get a letter today so I am nervous. Maybe its a NFA letter.... :smack::boom:

I think my mail man eats Popeyes.

Perhaps that'd explain the delay in my letter.

So glad I didn't leave work to open it - cause it wasn't there. (Thanks to my boyfriend who checked)

I think my mail man eats Popeyes.

Perhaps that'd explain the delay in my letter.

So glad I didn't leave work to open it - cause it wasn't there. (Thanks to my boyfriend who checked)

Nothing in the mail from LSU for me today either. My mailman came late too. ahhh!

Congrats to those accepted. I first applied in 2008 and was accepted today. LSUNO was my only school that I applied to this cycle, so I'll be there in August.

The postmark is 3/1, so for those of yall waiting, know that letters went out Tuesday and may just need some more time to get to you. Bonne chance!

Congrats to all those accepted!! It is an amazing feeling!!!

Does anyone one know when we need to start applying for financial aid? Should I apply through FAFSA now or do I wait for LSU to send something in the mail pertaining to this?

Does anyone one know when we need to start applying for financial aid? Should I apply through FAFSA now or do I wait for LSU to send something in the mail pertaining to this?

I was told by a friend already at LSU-NO to fill out FAFSA as soon as possible because they waited until May and didn't get their aid until October. I will be doing it this week.:banana::banana:

I'd recommend starting FAFSA now. In the end, I'm not really sure if it will matter, but I want to get it over with, and if there's any benefit to applying such as waivers that limited, I'd like to be applying before others.

From what I understand, a student need not necessarily be admitted to do FAFSA, so people waiting may also want to start their applications.

I guess I'll go ahead and fill my FAFSA out ASAP. Is it the same as doing it for under-grad except that you put the LSU School code in instead?

And also, again if there is anyone who might be interested in sharing a two bedroom apartment in Residence Hall, message me!

So I'm also accepted. Thanks for the awesome tour McSexy, I'll be seeing you guys in the fall. Any recommendations for housing? I think the dorms look nice and cheap, but I dunno anything about housing elsewhere.

Thanks,
Asian guy from 2/7 interview.

I guess I'll go ahead and fill my FAFSA out ASAP. Is it the same as doing it for under-grad except that you put the LSU School code in instead?

It's pretty much the same. As an undergrad I used my parents information too but I didn't need it this year, so that saved a few steps.

And also, again if there is anyone who might be interested in sharing a two bedroom apartment in Residence Hall, message me!

I'm not opposed to rooming with you, but I want to know more about the dorms. We never had a chance to visit the residence halls when I toured, but I understand that Stanislaus Hall is a lot nicer than Residence Hall...I was hoping someone could tell me more about the dorm, in case Residence Hall turns out to be the roach and rat infested hall where your flip flops get chewed at night...not even sure the best roommate in the universe could make up for that.

Thanks

I called housing a few weeks ago and they told me the following:

Residence hall has unfurnished apartments with a kitchen, living area, 2 bedrooms, and a full bathroom. From what I gathered, Stan Hall doesn't have this. I wanted something bigger than a dorm room. The lady did say that you are only allowed to use a stove or oven in Residence Hall and not in Stan.. Hall because Stan... Hall is considered old/historic or something of that nature, I don't exactly remember. The two bed apartment is 7 something a month and would be 3 something a month per person, which seems like a good deal.

However, I have not toured either one, so I don't exactly know what they look like or what kind of condition they are in. I just like the fact that I would be very close to class (more sleep in the AM) and I think my car would be somewhat safe in the parking garage. But yea, I do need to tour both halls to get a better idea of what the living conditions are like.

I am putting this on my agenda:cool:

Yeah, can go ahead and fill it out, just to get it over with. You'll get an e-mail later (End of March or April maybe) asking to you fill out some more stuff. Get all the stuff submitted as soon as possible. If you delaying getting it in, you delay when you'll get your loan check in for the first semester.

Yeah, pretty much. There should be some kind of LSUHSC financial aid webpage that'll tell you what the proper school code is, if it's not obvious through fafsa.

So I'm also accepted. Thanks for the awesome tour McSexy, I'll be seeing you guys in the fall. Any recommendations for housing? I think the dorms look nice and cheap, but I dunno anything about housing elsewhere.

Thanks,
Asian guy from 2/7 interview.

Glad we didn't scare you off, :laugh: .

I attached a little residence guide to NOLA. You'll get this and more when you do your orientation, but it's probably more helpful now. It will get you familiar with the area. There's not a lot of major apartment complexes in NOLA. You either have to be eyeing the papers constantly or do a lot of footwork do get some legit places.

Good thing about the residence hall or Stanislaus, is that I'm pretty sure that you can sign shorter rental leases with them. I.e. you can do something like a 3-month lease so you can get adjusted to the medical school, see if you like the dorms, or use it until you can find a good place in the city. But I would check their website for anything firm.

Attachments

• Scoop-Neighborhood-Guide.docx
    87.3 KB · Views: 81
I just submitted my FAFSA and for some reason I had to enter all of my parents tax information just I like I always did in undergrad. I hope I dont get less financial aid now :(

Besides submitting the FAFSA, is there anything else I need to do as of now?

I pay $875 /month for rent. I live by myself in a plantation home that's been converted into condo units in the Garden District. As far as living by yourself, I would say that unless you live on-campus, you'll probably pay around this much +/- $100. The major apartment complexes in NOLA cost more usually, but have more amenities, like pools and on-site gyms. Met and you are right about living with roommates. With roommates, you'll have many more options to rent from and you can get some really nice houses in decent areas for relatively cheap $500-600 /person. I like my privacy though, fwiw.

Utilities (Electricity, internet) run me around $100 /month. Groceries run about $100 /month. I eat out a good bit towards test time (cutting down on that this semester. Trying to anyway). Plus misc expenses like gas, entertainment, and pet stuff.

I don't pay for insurance (health nor car), don't pay for my cell phone bill, or car note. I would say if I had to pay for those, I would be finding a roommate quickly and cutting down on other things.

FWIW, be prepared to cover your first and second month's expenses pre-loan money. Loan money will come in at the end of August or later, and depends on when you have had all your financial information complete to them. I will definitely say that money was tighter in the first semester than it is so far in the second semester.

tyvm! Heard about the late money in last year's thread unfortunately

tyvm! Heard about the late money in last year's thread unfortunately

Late money shouldn't be as big of an issue for y'all (and us) next year because the school has already switched over to the new lender and won't screw things up as often this year. This is what I'm telling myself. :xf:

I called today, Mrs. Stuckey said that letters were mailed out yesterday. I think those are the NFA letters. More waiting in store for me. :eek:

What topics do you guys study first year? I recall someone mentioning neuroscience, but I was hoping to learn more about what you guys are studying to compare to lsus's systems based modules.

thanks.

I just submitted my FAFSA and for some reason I had to enter all of my parents tax information just I like I always did in undergrad. I hope I dont get less financial aid now :(

Besides submitting the FAFSA, is there anything else I need to do as of now?

You won't. Parental info is really only for need-based aid through the school, which LSU-NO doesn't do much of.

Just relax, now. :laugh:

Still haven't got anything in the mail yet =/

Hope I don't get a third wait list letter lol

Does anyone know when the committee meets again for NFA applicants. I interviewed in October and received another NFA letter a couple of weeks ago.

I hope u get accepted LSU 2015!!! :xf::xf:

Thanks, me too. My interview went swell. I'm being optimistic so all I'm waiting for is my confirmation that I got in, in the mail. I hope to see you in class this fall. :highfive:

What do you yall think about the MD/MPH program?

Status
Not open for further replies.