2011-2012 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interviewing here tomorrow but I can't find the address for where to go. I know it starts at 830 but when I log into the status page and click the interview link I get an error message so I can't find the location. Does anyone have the address? Thanks

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students comment on if you are able to get patient care experience from the first year on? I have already been accepted at Hofstra and they start patient care from year one, I have an interview at Upstate next week and am considering withdrawing my application.
There won't be direct patient care year one at Upstate. But you'll be taking a class to train for patient care, with actor being patient, and in mock exam room setting (with video cam and whatnot). Personally I think that's better anyway. As an MS1, you know nothing to be having anything to do w/ real patient just yet.

Can any current students comment on if you are able to get patient care experience from the first year on? I have already been accepted at Hofstra and they start patient care from year one, I have an interview at Upstate next week and am considering withdrawing my application.

As someone pointed out - you probably won't get any direct patient exposure until after you first year. If you really want that experience, volunteer at a clinic or something. If you want to get a feel for how 3rd/4th year rotations will be - ask to shadow a physician and go on rounds. The latter is especially useful if you are there by the medical student or resident as they prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those put on hold, FYI, i was put on pre-interview hold on 11/10/11, then invited to interview on 11/14/11, and accepted on 1/6/12. soo who knows what this hold list is all about- but there's certainly hope of getting off of it.

You do get direct patient exposure as a first year. In the same course where you work with standardized patients you will also be assigned to a primary care physician of some sort (pediatrician, family medicine doc etc.) and will spend a minimum of three days seeing patients with them. Also if it's something you really desire to do more of the volunteer opportunities at Upstate which entail working with patients are endless.

You do get direct patient exposure as a first year. In the same course where you work with standardized patients you will also be assigned to a primary care physician of some sort (pediatrician, family medicine doc etc.) and will spend a minimum of three days seeing patients with them. Also if it's something you really desire to do more of the volunteer opportunities at Upstate which entail working with patients are endless.
:thumbup:

Why is that important? Think about how much you'll know as a first year and you'll realize that it's not very useful in the long run. I do sometimes learn things from my preceptorship (at another school) but it's something that I could easily live without.

Anyone know if there are any updates on the probation? Apparently there's supposed to be a hearing in February. It's now February.

And people have been saying very mixed things about what this probation means for us (potential students). I have an interview scheduled for 3/5, and I'm trying to decide if I should go. I'm already holding an acceptance at another (much more expensive) school.

Anyone know how long we have to pay the deposit?

Anyone know if there are any updates on the probation? Apparently there's supposed to be a hearing in February. It's now February.

And people have been saying very mixed things about what this probation means for us (potential students). I have an interview scheduled for 3/5, and I'm trying to decide if I should go. I'm already holding an acceptance at another (much more expensive) school.

Last I heard, it is in the process of being worked out currently. Anyone else with updates? I would assume the school is maintaining an open-door policy about obtaining such updates, and like you said, it is definitely significant information.

Last I heard, it is in the process of being worked out currently. Anyone else with updates? I would assume the school is maintaining an open-door policy about obtaining such updates, and like you said, it is definitely significant information.

They presented their case last week, and we are supposed to find out this week.

It may seem like probation will affect new students. It won't. The only way it has a negative impact is if they lose accreditation. They won't.

Pre-interview rejection today via e-mail. oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
They presented their case last week, and we are supposed to find out this week.

It may seem like probation will affect new students. It won't. The only way it has a negative impact is if they lose accreditation. They won't.

I'm very sure they will not lose their accreditation, regardless of being on probation or not. It'll never come to that. So if it saves you a pretty penny, don't dismiss this school.

I'm very sure they will not lose their accreditation, regardless of being on probation or not. It'll never come to that. So if it saves you a pretty penny, don't dismiss this school.

I agree. Tonnes of schools get put on probation all the time. I think people are over exaggerating with their reactions.

http://www.upstate.edu/dean/lcme.php

"Last fall, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) recommended that Upstate's undergraduate medical education program be accredited with probationary status. On Feb. 16, that recommendation was finalized.

This does not affect the school's accreditation or its ability to educate medical students and grant degrees."

Did anyone else get an email from the director of admissions about this as well today?

Upstate medical school put on probation because of problems with courses, administration
By James T. Mulder / The Post-Standard

"Syracuse, N.Y. -- An accrediting organization has put Upstate Medical University’s medical school on probation because of concerns over how the school is run, its curriculum and other issues."

"Upstate joins five other medical schools on probation. LCME accredits 136 U.S. medical schools."

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/upstate_medical_school_put_on_1.html

Upstate medical school put on probation because of problems with courses, administration
By James T. Mulder / The Post-Standard

"Syracuse, N.Y. -- An accrediting organization has put Upstate Medical University’s medical school on probation because of concerns over how the school is run, its curriculum and other issues."

"Upstate joins five other medical schools on probation. LCME accredits 136 U.S. medical schools."

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/upstate_medical_school_put_on_1.html

Received an email from the director of admissions also. Seems like the important thing is that Upstate has not lost its accreditation with LCME, and the school seems very adamant on exceeding all probationary expectations by the time LCME re-evaluates the institution in 2013. I wouldn't be gravely concerned about this, and as an accepted student, I must say that I am pleased that Upstate has chosen to remain as open as possible about this ongoing process with its current and incoming students -- it says quite a bit about the school's administration.

My congratulations message disappeared today.... But apparently there is no correlation between acceptance and rejection with this.. so now i am watching and waiting nervously!

My congratulations message disappeared today.... But apparently there is no correlation between acceptance and rejection with this.. so now i am watching and waiting nervously!
My disappeared as well, only about a week after I interviewed.

Just got my email rejection pre-interview today. Knowing is better than all this waiting though!

On hold from November got an invite yesterday!! Scheduled for one of last days

Since I'm interviewing march is it basically a waitlist interview?

Since I'm interviewing march is it basically a waitlist interview?

If you interview better than some of the WL applicants, I can't see why you wouldn't get a seat over some of them. As late as it may be, it doesn't make sense for them to interview for WL positions; they're still looking for seat-holders. Just do the very best you can at your interview, and let the rest unfold as it may.

If you interview better than some of the WL applicants, I can't see why you wouldn't get a seat over some of them. As late as it may be, it doesn't make sense for them to interview for WL positions; they're still looking for seat-holders. Just do the very best you can at your interview, and let the rest unfold as it may.

:thumbup:agreed. I think that's a myth that schools interview for wait list positions. Interviews are costly and time consuming on both the interviewer's point and the interviewee...

Get to work on those essays.. Relax.. Upstate was my most relaxed and fun interviews by far.

congrats message disappeared last week but nothing yet for me.. yikes.

Ultimately decided on Sunday night to withdraw my application and not attend my interview next Monday. Already have an acceptance from a higher choice. Best of luck to the rest of you!

I guess I will be one of those folks who wait weeks to hear back. should i call?

Hey everyone, below is a link to the facebook group for the class of 2016. It's a great place to find an overnight student host for the second look visit or to converse with other accepted students who will likely turn out to be your classmates and close colleagues as physicians.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/161373027297306/

Hey everyone, below is a link to the facebook group for the class of 2016. It's a great place to find an overnight student host for the second look visit or to converse with other accepted students who will likely turn out to be your classmates and close colleagues as physicians.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/161373027297306/

:thumbup:

I'm not a current student but I live in syracuse, and i don't mind hosting if anyone needs it.

Accepted this week. Woohoo! 1st one!

I was really worried about the probationary status. I asked a doctor friend who works at Tulane about it. Her and her husband (also doctor) both said that SUNY Upstate has a great rep and there is no way they will lose their accreditation. Upstate was also my top choice.

Looks like I'm moving to Syracuse! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Accepted this week. Woohoo! 1st one!

I was really worried about the probationary status. I asked a doctor friend who works at Tulane about it. Her and her husband (also doctor) both said that SUNY Upstate has a great rep and there is no way they will lose their accreditation. Upstate was also my top choice.

Looks like I'm moving to Syracuse! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Congrats Becky!

Status
Not open for further replies.